Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OLYMPIAN

Angry Why are the majority of promoters and sponsors cheap?

I get that bodybuilding is a niche sport/hobby etc.... But I feel that the supplement companies and top promoters have been keeping too much of the pie. The top supplement companies make millions of dollars of profit each year.

Is it so much to ask, that bodybuilding contests offer respectable prize money?

Minus the Olympia and the original Arnold Classic, the prize money awarded at the remaining competitions is laughable. People gravitate towards money.

You want to grow competetive bodybuilding, physique, and fitness?

Start actually rewarding these people for the work that they put in.

The top 5 in any class of any show (in the pro ranks) should never have to worry about losing money by prepping for a professional contest.

Professionals in any field, deserve to be paid accordingly.

Bodybuilders are and have always been willing to compete for peanuts.It would take a collective effort on all their parts to change it but if five bodybuilders sit out in protest five more will take their place

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Bodybuilders are and have always been willing to compete for peanuts.It would take a collective effort on all their parts to change it but if five bodybuilders sit out in protest five more will take their place
    You are absolutely right, but to give 30,000 for first place, when the athletes have to compete in a third world country, is a travesty. 95% of the competitors get the shaft in these contests, while the sponsors and promoters get handsome pay days.

Hell, even the guest posers pocket more money than almost all of the competitors. Something is wrong with that. I know that most bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts compete to fulfill personal goals, but the lack of prize money is appalling.

Its like a circus sideshow for peanuts.
    Last edited by Shizzo; 04-16-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Until there is a union in place, the bodybuilders will continue to take it in the keister. And when you have a guy like Bob Chick as the one and only athlete's rep, that it akin to having the boss's nephew as the shop union delegate.

The 'powers that be' would never allow a union and therein lies the main problem.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    Until there is a union in place, the bodybuilders will continue to take it in the keister. And when you have a guy like Bob Chick as the one and only athlete's rep, that it akin to having the boss's nephew as the shop union delegate.

The 'powers that be' would never allow a union and therein lies the main problem.
    Joe, it appears as if you and Bob are not on the best of terms. Is there a backstory to this, or are you just being critical of him, in his role as athletes rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzo View Post
    Joe, it appears as if you and Bob are not on the best of terms. Is there a backstory to this, or are you just being critical of him, in his role as athletes rep?
    We both worked at MD at the same time and I honestly have never dealt with him on a personal level. I was in the office and he wasn't. I attended the monthly editorial meeting and had creative input and he didn't. But you would never know that by reading his boasting online.

I pointed out inconsistencies in his ramblings and he apparently took exception to that, calling me a "retarded journalist" and the like.

Duque told me that it was an offensive remark, but I don't get offended and find that people who claim as much to be total pussies. I just went back at Chick with more of my 'Bobservations' with him being wrong about certain things with the NSL.

I'll agree somewhat with the initial posts but I'll throw up some points back at it.

Many athletes, bodybuilders and those like me lifting for strength, have next to no business sense whatsoever. Great at throwing a ball etc sh8t at cashing in. I mean REALLY SH*T. Example, my thing is grip or hand strength. I've been paid to do seminars, put on exhibitions and so on. One buddy (who shall remain nameless to spare his blushes), training in our warehouse strongman gym in his first year as a pro earned £2000 less than I did that year - just from our sports. He had been all the way to the World's Strongest Man competition and I, obviously, hadn't. I knew how to ask, what to offer and did so. I STILL get free supplements now (previously mentioned it's about $400's a months worth). So it should come as no shock to hear that so many don't get paid well.

Secondly, as referred to above, it's not just a question of being paid. You gotta EARN IT. And that doesn't just mean winning a cup. Go look at the Arnold who has lines, who works the lines and see who is getting paid the most. Ditto media (social and video etc). You gotta work it, not expect it.

Many are so focused on the gym and nutrition side they, in essence, have nothing left for the rest. This is why wives, buddies and managers can help.

Finally, having put on strongman and grip competitions as a promoter and, of course, knowing something of the history of our sport of bodybuilding too, I know only too well that not all events make money. My gut feeling is the Sheru Classic made f'all the first time out. It would explain ho they have waited so long before putting on a 2nd event. And you're not gonna see the promoter online, marketing this new one, explaining how out of pocket he was on the first. Or how hard it can be to set up. India isn't quite the 3rd world backwater it once was but garnering the interest in some meaningful way in what is now an only just developing commercially country will not have been easy business wise. Potential (the worlds biggest educated middle class) is huge. But it'll need turning from potential into cold hard cash.
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post

That's a pretty bold but accurate analogy, although I like Bob Chic !
    David Cua also called Donald Pump known for "making bodybuilding great again" !

Quote Originally Posted by davidcua View Post
    That's a pretty bold but accurate analogy, although I like Bob Chic !
    If it's accurate, it's not that bold. LOL. Especially when anyone who isn't looking over their shoulder would agree.

The rep for the guys in the trenches cannot be buddy buddy with the heads. It's a huge conflict of interest. Here's another example: Pat Lynch is the president of the NYPD PBA. Imagine him being the police commissioner's personal driver.

That's Chick "driving" the Manions of the world. It is a conflict of interest; plain and simple. He's tits on a bull calling himself the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzo View Post
    The top supplement companies make millions of dollars of profit each year.
    I believe you answered your own question. Why does a promoter or supplement company "invest" in a show? Profit. As a business, the focus is not about what is best for the sport, but generating a profit (income minus expenses). By keeping expenses as low as possible, it benefits the bottom line. Each competitor needs to understand how they provide value to the promoter and negotiate accordingly. I think many non-business minded competitors would be well advised to take some business courses and/ or hire an agent/ manager to focus on aiding the business side of the sport.
    Training and diet consulting available. Send me a PM.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by black-elephant View Post
    I believe you answered your own question. Why does a promoter or supplement company "invest" in a show? Profit. As a business, the focus is not about what is best for the sport, but generating a profit (income minus expenses). By keeping expenses as low as possible, it benefits the bottom line. Each competitor needs to understand how they provide value to the promoter and negotiate accordingly. I think many non-business minded competitors would be well advised to take some business courses and/ or hire an agent/ manager to focus on aiding the business side of the sport.
    Yes, but I am referring mainly to the prize money awarded at contests.

1st place at any pro IFBB show, should be no less then $50,000.

Prize money at the Olympia and the Arnold should be:

1st: 300,000

2nd: 200,000

3rd: 125,000

4th: 75,000

5th: 50,000

As it stands today, many of the top competitors simply don't respect the majority of the shows. The prize money vs. the effort isn't worth it for them.

Competing in contests should be important again. Now, many pros compete just to fill contract obligations or to put on a resume (real life or virtual)

It takes money to make money in most cases. The IFBB and sponsors need to invest more into the business.

What would be the incentive of a promoter to increase prize money if they can draw a crowd and be profitable with a less quality show, depth of line-up, Look at the Cubs when they were owned by the Tribune/ WGN. The reason for buying the Cubs was television time for the television station. The did not invest in high end players and continued to draw people to the stadium. This was their business model, and it worked.

If there was something similar to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) where the federation was owned by the Professionals themselves, it would allow for prize money to increase and channel profits back to the ownership group, the Professionals themselves.
    Training and diet consulting available. Send me a PM.

OLYMPIAN

Is there big money in promoting outside the few major pro shows?

Promoting is a risky business, if it goes wrong it's massive loses.

Probably less risky now with so many competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Beat View Post
    Is there big money in promoting outside the few major pro shows?

Promoting is a risky business, if it goes wrong it's massive loses.

Probably less risky now with so many competitors.
    One has to figure that it is quite profitable or else there would be less and less shows on the calendar each year. Look at it this way: most of these local NPC shows are held in shithole high school or junior high school auditoriums. Probably can get it for a day for a few grand, even less if you know someone on the school board. (Shame on you if you live in an area for any amount of time and do not.)

Then you have to figure out the 'tribute' that gets kicked back up to Pittsburgh. I've been told that amount is $18,000. So now you're 20 grand in the hole.

How many competitors do you get at these local shows? Let's say the average is 200, and that's a low ball estimate, especially with the new classic physique being added. Even if it's $100 entry fee per class (which it's more), the promoter just made up his front money.

Now he is selling tickets to the show (PJ and finals) at what? $25 and $50 a pop. If the average school auditorium holds approx. 300 people, that's $7,500 for the afternoon and $15,000 for the night show if it is at capacity. So let's surmise out of a possible $22,500 you get $18,000.

And he's also collecting that 'backstage fee,' which is $50 per person, who also have to buy a ticket, mind you. Nearly every competitor brings someone along to do the tan, oil, etc. So where are we now? Add another 10 grand.

Sponsorships, if I'm not mistaken, go right to the home office and not the individual promoters. So I won't even count those here, even the booth space. But both of these can be huge numbers depending on the percentage the promoter gets.

Concessions? Not always there so I won't bother.

Here's the tally:

UP FRONT:

*Venue - $2,000
    *Pittsburgh - $18,000

[minus $20,000
    ]

SHOW DAY:

*Competitor fees - $20,000
    *Ticket sales - $18,000
    *Backstage fees - $10,000

[plus $48,000]

CONTEST EXPENSES

*Workers - $2,000 (I'm being kind here. Most suck ups volunteer for these shows.)

[plus $46,000]

Of course these are raw numbers and not one hundred percent accurate. But you get the point. The take on a single show can be what some people make as salary ion an entire year. I know but cheapo Blechman paid me a paltry $50,000 a year while I was at MD, thus making me keep MuscleSport Mag running as a side business for extra income. So in an odd way, his shitty salary helped me keep things going that I now can do full time.

"You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti RIP DMX

Simple. They have no money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast