Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

PUMA:
    Yes, having two legs is a requisite for being on the Olympia stage. I'm glad Dennis extended his career and improved and put himself in a position to win an Arnold and grab a 3rd at the 'O' six years after these photos. And now he's in his late 30s and still competitive, still with a decent waist and is still providing for his family.

ROBERTS:
    Are you guys saying Dennis Wolf has a big waist? Are you naming all the guys who were too small to win an Olympia and/or retired young? As for Haney, bodybuilding was so mediocre in the 1980's that a guy in his 20s dominated the sport because he had the only fully developed physique on the circuit and was taller and 30-50 pounds heavier than his competition. And when did he retire? 30, 31? And when was Branch good and when did his waist start growing? Right before he turned 40? I think people lose site that these guys are extending their careers and lifting way beyond past eras. You think if Lee Haney didn't retire after 1991 and kept pace with Dorian and competed into his late 30s that his waist would have been circa 1986 right on through?

Here's Mike Matarazzo in 1999. At his best he couldn't have sniffed Dennis Wolf in a line-up. His waist was wider and shittier, and his quads were shittier. I don't care what his nickname was.

1999 Mike.jpg

Flex Wheeler is the only legitimate argument for a past era and I've never argued against him. He had the size to stand next to Ronnie and had all-time great genetics for his midsection. But his last competitive placing was when he was 34-35. Shawn Rhoden, who has similar genetics, didn't have even a mild stomach issue until he was 41. But of course it'll get blamed on this generation and food and drugs. And going beyond Rhoden, what did Kai and Phil's waists look like in their early 30s? It's age, not generation. So the only plausible reason to shit on this generation is to say the guys are competing too long and should retire when they start adding old man thickness.

There's no alternative argument either for Dexter and his turtle-shell at 46. It's changed over the years and there were shows and years where it started to bloat more. He keeps it in check with isolation and not pushing the envelope, but it still doesn't look like this anymore. You could say, "Oh well that was because he had to compete in the Levrone/Wheeler era." No, it was because he was a young man.

dexter-jackson-steroidcycle.jpg

And Cedric, well he never had abs until very recently. They're brand spankin' new. Right off the shelf. We'll see how long his waist lasts. He turns 39 a month before the Olympia.

IMG_8395wtmrk.jpg
    img_41811425776344.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MusclePoppins View Post
    PUMA:
    Yes, having two legs is a requisite for being on the Olympia stage. I'm glad Dennis extended his career and improved and put himself in a position to win an Arnold and grab a 3rd at the 'O' six years after these photos. And now he's in his late 30s and still competitive, still with a decent waist and is still providing for his family.

ROBERTS:
    Are you guys saying Dennis Wolf has a big waist? Are you naming all the guys who were too small to win an Olympia and/or retired young? As for Haney, bodybuilding was so mediocre in the 1980's that a guy in his 20s dominated the sport because he had the only fully developed physique on the circuit and was taller and 30-50 pounds heavier than his competition. And when did he retire? 30, 31? And when was Branch good and when did his waist start growing? Right before he turned 40? I think people lose site that these guys are extending their careers and lifting way beyond past eras. You think if Lee Haney didn't retire after 1991 and kept pace with Dorian and competed into his late 30s that his waist would have been circa 1986 right on through?

Here's Mike Matarazzo in 1999. At his best he couldn't have sniffed Dennis Wolf in a line-up. His waist was wider and shittier, and his quads were shittier. I don't care what his nickname was.

1999 Mike.jpg

Flex Wheeler is the only legitimate argument for a past era and I've never argued against him. He had the size to stand next to Ronnie and had all-time great genetics for his midsection. But his last competitive placing was when he was 34-35. Shawn Rhoden, who has similar genetics, didn't have even a mild stomach issue until he was 41. But of course it'll get blamed on this generation and food and drugs. And going beyond Rhoden, what did Kai and Phil's waists look like in their early 30s? It's age, not generation. So the only plausible reason to shit on this generation is to say the guys are competing too long and should retire when they start adding old man thickness.

There's no alternative argument either for Dexter and his turtle-shell at 46. It's changed over the years and there were shows and years where it started to bloat more. He keeps it in check with isolation and not pushing the envelope, but it still doesn't look like this anymore. You could say, "Oh well that was because he had to compete in the Levrone/Wheeler era." No, it was because he was a young man.

dexter-jackson-steroidcycle.jpg

And Cedric, well he never had abs until very recently. They're brand spankin' new. Right off the shelf. We'll see how long his waist lasts. He turns 39 a month before the Olympia.

IMG_8395wtmrk.jpg
    img_41811425776344.jpg
    No, I never said Wolf has a big waist. I said it grew 20% so that the rest of him could grow 5%.

Did you read what I said? Nothing you said refutes it. I just said that many top pros improve without their waist getting much bigger in comparison in response to you saying it happens to everyone. I'm talking about whose waist has grown or not grown as they improve, not just who has a big or small waist flat out. Mike was just out of shape in '99. Even if his waist did grow, fine, I take his name back. All the others still apply though.
    Last edited by Geoff Roberts; 06-14-2016 at 03:53 PM.
    15% Discount Code: Geoff15

Cedric is another. Hes gotten bigger without his waist barely growing at all.
    15% Discount Code: Geoff15

Pushing size and how quickly the size is pushed is a part of it, but my point was age/time in the game is the biggest factor in the waist conversation. If Lee Haney competed until the end of Dorian's reign he'd be the same age as Dennis Wolf is now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123