Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has Bodybuilding Just Been REBORN Under A New Name At The 2016 Jr. USA??? Apparently So!

If there was ANY question as to whether the new Classic Physique Division would become popular that question has just been answered at the first NPC National show of 2016.

The Jr USA has dwindled in numbered of bodybuilders over the past couple decades. In fact in 2015 this show had 3 divisions with LESS than 10 competitors in them. Well enter this past weekend's Jr USA and Bodybuilding 2.0 (Classic Physique) and that has changed overnight!! This weekends contest saw 58 COMPETITORS IN THE TALL CLASS ALONE!!! ...No thats NOT a typo.....58 guys in one class! Class C had 58 guys and classes A & B had somewhere around 40 competitors EACH as well!!! and the 2016 season is just getting warmed up. What does this mean for shows like the USA, Universe and Nationals?? Will we possibly be looking at a 75 man class?....is that even possible? Apparently so. We may be witnessing the rebirth of bodybuilding, only under a new name. The Jr USA has NEVER had a class of 58 bodybuilders EVER in its long history.....Classic Physique just broke the record its first time out of the gate. This is VERY telling.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by JUSTINIAN; 05-22-2016 at 11:47 AM.

I prefer the less bloated look. But its such a money maker espc with these 225 dollar entry fees

OLYMPIAN

I think the reason there are so many tall competitors is the due to the top weight at a given height being very attainable for most people. The mass required for physique division is also easer to attain but this division requires a very definite look that most people just don't have the structure for.

I will give myself as an example. I am 6'2" and have long arms and legs and wide shoulders. For me to have made it as a pro bodybuilder I would have had to walk on stage at over 300lbs even in the 90’s and even then I would not have had the pound for pound thickness of a Dorian. The amount of muscle I would have needed to fill out my arms and legs would have been ridiculous.

Now for classic bodybuilding the formula for maximum weight for my height is:

Height(cm) - 100 + 8 with the answer in kg's

I am 188 cm tall so the max weight formula gives: 188 - 100 + 8 = 96 kgs

96 kgs is 212 pounds.

The max weight for a tall guy is just very very attainable. At 18 years old after 4 years of weight training I was a solid 210lbs or more and I was clean as a whistle. I competed at 190lbs. Had I done a bit of deca and dbol I would have been maxing out my classic bodybuilding weight as an 18 year old kid.

There are lots of tall guys who know they cannot do open bodybuilding because they would need to be huge so this class is mana from heaven for them.

Now the tall guys are still going to be too slim to win the overall in classic bodybuilding but it is very attainable to get to the mass required to compete against other tall stringy guys and look credible on stage.

Thats my read on why there are so many tall men showing up.

On another note I am not overly impressed with the pro classic physique competitors. They are like guys who could not put on enough muscle to do damage in open bodybuilding.

Hopefully in time we will see competitors who start off trying build a classic body in the way Zane did with a real eye on balance, proportion, symmetry and conditioning to create a fantastic illusion at a lighter bodyweight.

OLYMPIAN

^^^^^^ in the 2nd last paragraph I meant to say I am not overly impressed with classic bodybuilding instead of what I wrote 'classic physique'.
    Last edited by Big Beat; 05-22-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Beat View Post
    ^^^^^^ in the 2nd last paragraph I meant to say I am not overly impressed with classic bodybuilding instead of what I wrote 'classic physique'.
    The limits in the NPC for a guy who is 6'3" is 232 lbs.....and for 6'2" it's 225 lbs...in the pro IFBB it's 5 lbs more. The formula u refer to is for a IFBB Amateur classic.....it's different

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINIAN View Post
    The limits in the NPC for a guy who is 6'3" is 232 lbs.....and for 6'2" it's 225 lbs...in the pro IFBB it's 5 lbs more. The formula u refer to is for a IFBB Amateur classic.....it's different

ok, so with the NPC 225lbs at 6'2 puts the competitors at a height/weight similar to that of Arnold which will be much harder to achieve than the IFBB amateur criteria.

I still see the appeal for taller guys being they do not have to walk around at humongous weights like they would have to with open bodybuilding but I would agree that the task of trying to match an Arnold sized classic body will be very difficult for most if not all.

funny since this was a division SOME on the board had already called a dead division with no future...

Quote Originally Posted by ~gymdiva~ View Post
    funny since this was a division SOME on the board had already called a dead division with no future...
    Quite the opposite apparently. 58 in one class is insane...especially considering it's the very first one on national level so early in the season

I'm totally not shocked-we saw this same trend with bikini, WPD, and MPD...it will taper off a little in the future I'm sure but this will be expected at each national level show this year

as for the numbers of bbers dwindling from this show: not shocking since this is one of the few national level shows that does not deliver a pro card to a winner(s)-most are waiting for the shows that offer one (or whatever the count is for the show)-which is a shame b/c Jr USAs is a well run show in a fun area to relax in when the show is over

Quote Originally Posted by Big Beat View Post
    ok, so with the NPC 225lbs at 6'2 puts the competitors at a height/weight similar to that of Arnold which will be much harder to achieve than the IFBB amateur criteria.

I still see the appeal for taller guys being they do not have to walk around at humongous weights like they would have to with open bodybuilding but I would agree that the task of trying to match an Arnold sized classic body will be very difficult for most if not all.
    True....here is a picture of my client Jeff who I'm preparing for his first competition next week here in NY. Jeff is 6'3" 240 lbs and while quite obviously isn't like Arnold he has a cool look, especially considering he has never competed before. He came to me a few months ago because he was inspired by the creation of the new division and wanted to see how he could do in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ~gymdiva~ View Post
    I'm totally not shocked-we saw this same trend with bikini, WPD, and MPD...it will taper off a little in the future I'm sure but this will be expected at each national level show this year

as for the numbers of bbers dwindling from this show: not shocking since this is one of the few national level shows that does not deliver a pro card to a winner(s)-most are waiting for the shows that offer one (or whatever the count is for the show)-which is a shame b/c Jr USAs is a well run show in a fun area to relax in when the show is over
    I actually think it will bring in new competitors and end up making bodybuilding more popular...brings in new fans there wouldn't be otherwise.

i was excited to see how the class would turn out...ive seen em on stage twice now and i really think its solid...and really does seem to be a realistic outlet for a bunch of guys especially all my tall buddies who would have to really play with fire to even get look on alot of stages...i like it
    Last edited by LSMUSCL81; 05-23-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Rx Muscle Radio Programming Guru and Video Editing Director

OLYMPIAN

True....here is a picture of my client Jeff who I'm preparing for his first competition next week here in NY. Jeff is 6'3" 240 lbs and while quite obviously isn't like Arnold he has a cool look, especially considering he has never competed before. He came to me a few months ago because he was inspired by the creation of the new division and wanted to see how he could do in it.
    He looks good and especially considering it's his first show. With long arms I think poses that keep the arms close to the body are the way to go.

He has the muscle weight so he can keep working on creating the best illusion, wide back, good side delts, good sweep on the outer head of the triceps, wide calves and a good vacuum.

Best of luck with the show.

If there was ANY question as to whether the new Classic Physique Division would become popular that question has just been answered at the first NPC National show of 2016.

The Jr USA has dwindled in numbered of bodybuilders over the past couple decades. In fact in 2015 this show had 3 divisions with LESS than 10 competitors in them. Well enter this past weekend's Jr USA and Bodybuilding 2.0 (Classic Physique) and that has changed overnight!! This weekends contest saw 58 COMPETITORS IN THE TALL CLASS ALONE!!! ...No thats NOT a typo.....58 guys in one class! Class C had 58 guys and classes A & B had somewhere around 40 competitors EACH as well!!! and the 2016 season is just getting warmed up. What does this mean for shows like the USA, Universe and Nationals?? Will we possibly be looking at a 75 man class?....is that even possible? Apparently so. We may be witnessing the rebirth of bodybuilding, only under a new name. The Jr USA has NEVER had a class of 58 bodybuilders EVER in its long history.....Classic Physique just broke the record its first time out of the gate. This is VERY telling.

Thoughts?
    This may be an explanation why there are so many competing in classic physique at this show and it is directly from NPC News Online:

Qualifying For NPC National Contests
    In order to compete at a National contest in 2016, for the Jr USA and JR Nationals, an athlete must have competed in any NPC Contest. For all other Nationals shows including the Universe, Teen Collegiate Masters, USA, North American and Nationals an athlete must have competed in a NPC Classic Physique event. No other qualifications are required. ​(Bold added for emphasis.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast