Cumbria stages its first IBFA bodybuilding qualifier

May 23, 2016

Bodybuilders took to the stage to turn and tense their muscles in the first International Bodybuilding Fitness Association qualifiers to be held in Cumbria.

cumbria.jpg
Karl Gorman and Darren Fulton with Superman Garry Bedford

It has been brought about by Martyn Yates Brown, IBFA UK president, who saw the demise of bodybuilding about five years ago and wanted to do something to revive it.

Martyn said bringing the heat to Cumbria was with trepidation but he was thrilled to see more than 50 competitors sign up to compete across 19 classes.

“I’m delighted we’ve got the response we have,” he said. “We’ve got people who have come from all over the country as well as locally. It’s a great event for us to be representing the north because the final is in Gateshead.”

About 300 people packed out the Greenhill Hotel at Wigton for the Mr and Miss Cumbria event yesterday and the atmosphere went wild as the crowd cheered on their bodybuilders.

It was a double whammy for Workington friends Darren Fulton and Karl Gorman, who won their under and over 85kg classes respectively.

fulton.jpg
Darren Fulton

The pair, who train together at Ted’s Gym, in John Street, then went head to head before the judging panel for the title of Mr Cumbria but it was Darren who pipped his friend to the post.

The 22-year-old said: “I’m ecstatic that I’ve won my class. I didn’t expect to do anything like that. I came to get some experience and that was it.

“Karl and I train together. Again [Mr Cumbria] was a shock. I didn’t expect it whatsoever.”

Darren and Karl, also 22, competed in the under 24s class as well.

Martyn, who lives in Aspatria and runs Yates Evolution Gym, started at 16 and continues to compete, aged 69.

“It’s misunderstood. It’s a subculture and when we do attempt to try to explain it to the general public they don’t get it. From the outside looking in it’s a very odd subculture and there’s a lot of people who don’t come because they feel it would be intimidating but it’s not like that,” he said.

“It’s grassroots bodybuilding. It’s not fitness and fashion,” said Martyn. “We’re making a retro movement. In fact we’re going back to the eighties and nineties which were the golden years for bodybuilding. I’m re-introducing it throughout the country and it’s going quite well.”

Mr Cumbria IBFA UK is among the qualifiers ahead of Mr Northern Counties, which culminates in British and World competitions.

It’s named Mr Cumbria in memory of Bill Hemsworth, who was once crowned Mr Universe.

It’s named Mr Cumbria in memory of Bill Hemsworth, who was once crowned Mr Universe.

Bill was one of the founders of the former Mr Cumbria competition who was well known among the bodybuilding community.

Joe Walker, of Broughton, who worked for Bill his gym Furness Health Studio, said he was an inspiration.

He said: “He devised the start of what we do now.

“He was so successful and helped so many people. He was a fantastic man.”

From http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Cu...61a9526ad4c-ds