Default Repost: Wtdoom is Rx Muscle Forums Member of the Month for September 2016!

Congratulations

Congrats!!

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Default Repost: Wtdoom is Rx Muscle Forums Member of the Month for September 2016!

Wtdoom is Rx Muscle Forums Member of the Month for September 2016!

Wtdoom has been a member since March 2016 and in just five months and one hundred forty posts has proven to be a super positive force on the forums. Let's learn more about this newly minted Rx Muscle Forums member!

What’s your general location?

I travel a lot, mostly currently based in the Middle East and in the UK with some travel to Florida for vacation.

Height and weight?

5ft 9 and 83.5 kg.

How did you learn about Rx Muscle Forums?

I got tired of working out my own diets and came across the RX Muscle YouTube channel while looking for someone to help me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmoLfRvU5pM

I remember Dave Palumbo, Chris Aceto and John Romano from when I used to bodybuild. I always liked them. They were some of my most liked and most respected personalities and from the YouTube I found the forum, etc. Now you are cursed with my presence…

What’s your favorite part of Rx Muscle Forums?

I'd love to say the information and training tips, etc., but I have to say I like the madness and humour. Some of the characters really make me laugh. It's a great community. I really enjoy logging on.

What would you do to improve the site and the forums in particular?

When I log on there are so many "guests" viewing the forum. I think we members need to help the forum by introducing our friends and we need some of those guests to be members.

It's our community and we need to post threads and responses, make an effort. I'm new to bodybuilding forums and one doesn't need to be shy. We just need to get people involved and it will grow. I know this because of experience with car forums, but many newbies may be too nervous to get involved.

community.gif

Moderators and staff can help to by starting more threads, etc., but really we have to just make an effort to post.

How were you introduced to the weights?

This is a long story. I remember my grandfather had many books. That really impressed me. When we first moved to the UK I couldn't speak the language but used to save my pocket money and buy books I couldn't read (I'd read the words and not really understand). It was here I came across the Robert E. Howard Conan novels.

conanfrazetta.jpg

Back then they had covers by Frank Frazetta and they really inspired me.
    I used to read a lot of Greek, Roman and Viking mythology, too, but never really equated that Herculean or heroic look with bodybuilding (I didn't know there was such a thing). I just thought there were skinny, fat and muscular people.

I remember mostly weightlifters back then didn't look particularly muscular. Then when they made the Conan movie I discovered Arnold and bodybuilding. I bought books, started training with my plastic Weider weights (12/13 years old), and the rest is history.

What is your favorite part of the iron game – strongman, bodybuilding, Men’s Physique, Bikini, etc.?

I like bodybuilding, powerlifting, and strongman I also respect a great deal. I respect most of the iron disciplines but don't really follow them apart from bodybuilding and strongman (sometimes). The shorts/ bikini men thing is a little funny to me though (sorry).

flexwheeler1.jpg

What's your favorite thing about bodybuilding?

I love the discipline you learn from the sport. I used to enjoy the pain and suffering I could make myself endure with training and diet and the changes one can make. It's so easy to apply that ethic to one’s life.

Also I really love the training probably more than anything.

I love the riddle of steel, fighting the iron and fighting me. I'm my own best enemy; I know my strengths and weaknesses. I love that challenge. The physical high I get after training is tough to beat. The training is what really got me hooked. I don't think I could live sanely without it in some capacity or another.

What's your least favorite thing about bodybuilding?

I hate the fact that now most newcomers to the sport seem to value drugs above training. Our emphasis was training hard, eating and resting. Steroids were just the icing on the cake.

Now it seems like it's all PED talk with some shitty, slack jawed training with machines tacked on at the end. It just seems a different mentality.

What is your goal so far as the weights go?

My current goals are to stay healthy. I have some injuries I'm dealing with, so repair and stay strong. My goals are mostly gym based. I'm getting in pretty good shape, actually.

gymgoals.jpg

Have you competed?

Yes.

Do you have any favorite bodybuilders or strength athletes?

I like the 80's and 90's guys. The 90's were my era, so I like Haney, Yates, Levrone, Priest, Schmidt, Labrada, the Barbarian Brothers, Mike Quinn, Bertil Fox, Gary Strydom, Coleman, Flex Wheeler, etc.

I have a special place in my heart for Mike Christian. I saw him at a seminar at the Weider shop in the UK when I was a fat kid (I thought I was bulked, lol). Then many years later at Gold’s Venice (just after I'd won a big regional show) and he remembered me. I went over to say hello and he bellowed "I remember you!" and we had a great laugh.

He introduced me to Ali Malla and a couple of other guys. Told me where to go, where to buy supplements (met Robby Robinson there), eat, etc. It made my trip really enjoyable as I nearly bankrupted myself to get out there for a few days holiday.

mikechristian.jpg

Strength athletes, Jon Paul Sigmarrson, Geoff Capes, Bill Kazmaier, Žydrūnas Savickas (Big Z rocks), Stan Efferding, Mariusz Pudzianowski, Fred Hatfield… I could go on forever with the list so I'll stop now.

Modern day bodybuilders, I like Akim. He seems like a nice bloke and trains properly so win-win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_-GuDopMCk

Did you emulate anyone when you first became involved in the iron game?

I think I did the usual, I read Arnold's Education of a Bodybuilder and did the whole "Pumping Iron" thing. For training I later liked the Barbarian Brothers, Mentzer and Dorian. I really loved and still truly love the training.

Who is someone you look forward to meeting and perhaps picking their brain?

From a bodybuilding sense I'd love to have a sit down with Dave Palumbo, Chris Aceto and John Romano. That would be hilarious and extremely informative.

If Dave ever auctions that dinner they were talking about on Heavy Muscle Radio, it would be lights out if combined with VIP Olympia tickets. I'd sell the house if necessary.

dprx.jpg

What has been the most effective workout you’ve followed?

I cycle. In decades of training I now cycle bursts of Dorian/Mentzer-style high intensity with longer Lee Priest-style volume training. I obviously vary the intensity and the workout length accordingly.

What supplement company or brand does it right?

This question is easy. I used to adore the old, original Met-Rx, but now I swear by Species Nutrition. I love the ethos, the methodology of the brand, and respect Dave a great deal and have great results on the products. No digestion issues, just clean, pure, well researched and balanced supplements.

Easily the best on the market and believe me I've tried so, so many brands over the years. I don't believe in gimmicks and Dave’s precise and science backed yet basic approach just appeals to me. I'm putting it inside my body so I try to consume the best I can afford and to me Species is the best. It's costing me, but I only have one body. I like to think I'm worth it, so why cut back?

speciesnut.png

Favorite TV show?

I do very little TV. Used to watch Star Trek. Judge Judy is great for daytime naps. I like the mega series like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, the Americans, etc. also.

Pick three things you couldn't live without!

My family, the gym, and something to read.

What is your macro or food breakdown? Do you count calories, do calculations, and weigh your food?

I'm working with Dave Palumbo so everything is weighed, counted and timed.
    We are currently alternating fat and carb days and I can't believe how much I'm eating and still getting leaner.

However I'm in Europe at the moment having some PRP therapy and have just had 2 biblical junk days, but Dave knows where I'm going to be for the next 2 years so he will forgive me...

Other than hitting the iron, what do you enjoy doing the most with your free time?

I love cars and motorbikes. I’m dabbling in some historic racing but it's just a dabble.

carsandmotorbikes.jpg

Mostly I enjoy family time, I'm boring like that. Reading and music, I'm also passionate about. Don't really drink or smoke, so I'm only slightly Worse Than Doom nowadays.

Do you have a favorite movie?

Conan The Barbarian, easily. I love the way it's filmed like an opera. Every scene has its music, talking is minimal. I really enjoy it, one of the best soundtracks ever. Poledouris was an absolute legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhvd9twPEIo

Can you say anything about your occupation?

I work with foreign special forces.

What currently drives you nuts?

Politics, especially in the Middle East. I have expertise in this field and we are almost going out of our way to get it wrong.

What motivates you?

Overcoming adversity and fighting the good fight.

What frustrates you?

Very little frustrates me if I'm honest. I have learned a long time ago that it's unreasonable to expect everyone to match your expectations, so it's better to just accept that fact and move on.

I will not, however, be stopped, ever. In that respect I am like a Terminator, but my wife sees me more like Laurel and Hardy combined into one mega idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Jo8QoOTQ4

What frustrates me in our bodybuilding community is the lack of respect bodybuilding gets. I don't care about the mainstream acceptance.

What grates is that almost every sport has benefitted from training pioneered by bodybuilding and every single sport, without exception, has benefitted from nutritional concepts and breakthroughs, supplementation, yes, and even drug use pioneered by our community.

What about hobbies or pets?

I had two bearded dragons until recently. Unfortunately, Godzilla passed away. He is survived by Puff, but she is getting old now, too, bless her.

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback of African origin. He is 64 kg of the gentlest and best trained dog you can imagine.

I also love cats.

Thank you for sharing part of your story, Wtdoom! I'm glad you're part of this community.

Quote Originally Posted by UKwildcat View Post
    Congratulations
    Cheers uk wildcat
    Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Congrats!!
    Thank you PTB
    Out Of Pain Comes Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    How were you introduced to the weights?

This is a long story. I remember my grandfather had many books. That really impressed me. When we first moved to the UK I couldn't speak the language but used to save my pocket money and buy books I couldn't read (I'd read the words and not really understand). It was here I came across the Robert E. Howard Conan novels.

conanfrazetta.jpg

Back then they had covers by Frank Frazetta and they really inspired me.

I used to read a lot of Greek, Roman and Viking mythology, too, but never really equated that Herculean or heroic look with bodybuilding (I didn't know there was such a thing). I just thought there were skinny, fat and muscular people.

I remember mostly weightlifters back then didn't look particularly muscular. Then when they made the Conan movie I discovered Arnold and bodybuilding. I bought books, started training with my plastic Weider weights (12/13 years old), and the rest is history.
    I'd read mythology books and Conan, too. Frazetta's artwork was on the covers of the old Howard novels.

My first weight set was a Sears concrete set covered in plastic or vinyl? I struggled to bench forty pounds.

Good stuff!

I reposted this??????

Congrats to Wtdoom! I liked that list of favorite bodybuilders and I really enjoyed the Barbarian Brothers back in the day. Gotta love those Arnold movies and agree that Mike Christian was a heck of a nice guy when I met him as well.
    WNBF Pro Bodybuilder
    B.S. Degree Exercise Science

Quote Originally Posted by UKwildcat View Post
    I reposted this??????
    I reposted it. There's a glitch somewhere. The pics were stripped out, so I posted the thread again and moved the comments to the new thread. Your post appeared or took place before the reposting, so your post appears at the beginning of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Congrats to Wtdoom! I liked that list of favorite bodybuilders and I really enjoyed the Barbarian Brothers back in the day. Gotta love those Arnold movies and agree that Mike Christian was a heck of a nice guy when I met him as well.
    I attended a seminar I think it was Belgium when I was in the Navy. Mike had an interpreter who said 20 words to every one word that Christian said. At some point Mike got pissed that the interpreter seemed to be holding his own seminar and gave the guy hell for it, something like, "Say what I say!"