Animal Whey Red Velvet

Taste

Red Velvet - First of all what is red velvet? A real Red Velvet cake is made with cocoa and buttermilk and butter. It is very tender and moist. It has cream cheese frosting . For the most part Red Velvet will be colored with red food coloring and have hints of cocoa and cream cheese. I have tried a few other red velvets on the market (MTS and Rule 1). While both are good flavors Animal Whey has always treated me right.

Shake: 6oz Almond Milk + 1 Scoop Red Velvet: The cocoa taste is present, and there are minor hints of cream cheese. This is something non-detected in MTS and Rule 1 is the slight aftertaste of cream cheese, which combines the true element of a red velvet product. While it is very small you still get a glimpse that completes the red velvet experience. While the cocoa may be dominant in this flavor I would have to say this resembles close to the OG Red Velvet from Iforce which was my all time favorite red velvet flavor. Well-done Universal.

Sludge: Very similar to a shake. For me whenever I mix protein powder in greek yogurt it tends to amplify the flavor. And in this scenario it helped enhance the slight cream cheese aftertaste and less cocoa. Making this a more balanced red velvet flavor. Could be because of the greek yogurt and texture, but I found this to be what I got out of it mixed in 6oz of greek yogurt. Mixes very easy and tastes great.

Baking: While the flavor is taken away when baking because of all the elements involved in recipes there is still a hint during the baked goods. I made some pancakes and also cupcakes with the red velvet whey. The best part is my recipe does not change much between both recipes. Just baked in a different pan or prepared a different way to make sure it did not alter the taste that much. The frosting on both was simply SF/FF Pudding mix and Greek yogurt to make a cream cheese/cheesecake like frosting. This really hit the spot with the red velvet whey.

Mixability

For Red Velvet I used this product in baking (as seen in the recipes) and also mixed in yogurt. My simple go to Mixability is with 6oz of yogurt and 1 scoop of whey protein. For Shakes I do 6oz of Almond milk/Water and 1 scoop of whey. No clumps and mixes very fine. Animal Whey is light and never has Mixability issues.

Formula

Per Scoop:
1 G Fat
4g Carbs
1g Fiber
25g Protein

Animal Whey uses a blend of WPC and WPI which are two of the most commonly used forms of protein on the market. They provide natural and artificial flavors in their product, which provide a clean tasting product. Some people may be turned down by the hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (as some stay away from anything hydrogenated in general). Cellulose and Xanthan will help enhance the thickness of the flavor in the formula, and Animal Whey also includes a digestive blend (which I really enjoy) to help those who may suffer from any lactose problems or just an overall digestion aid, which never hurts. I also enjoy this is flavored with Sucralose instead of aspartame.

Cost

~27/ 2lb
~45 / 4lb

The amount is identical to most protein powders on the market with around 10$/lb or raw materials to make up protein. With that said the overall caloric makeup (being around 120 calories) is a good amount and on the lower side than some out there. Not to mention for how easily this mixes up, and how it tastes this is a very quality protein powder. Animal Runs a LOT of sales for 25% off, 20% off, and always 10% coupon codes on multiple websites. You can get this for much cheaper then the outright cost of one tub, or they even throw in sample tubs with each order.