Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RX MEMBER

Default How Vince Gironda did Nutrition

Okay, so I'm going to assume that quite a few people who frequent this forum know that I know a fair bit about Vince and his teachings. Well, if there's one thing Vince got right and was renowned for, it was nutrition.
    Generally, Vince was one of the first people who were advising people to use fats as an energy source rather than carbohydrates. He stated that fats were a much better source of energy as it lasted for 6 hours. The other prominent individual who recommended this as well as Vince was Rheo H. Blair. There might be some confusion as to how Vince and Rheo came up with the same type of conclusions but each found out their own way. Just for those folks who don’t know who Rheo H. Blair is, his real name is Irvin Johnson (he changed his name after his “advisor” told him to do so) and he was famous in the 1960s for creating his infamous milk and egg protein powder, among other supplements such as his amino acids. Arnold, Frank Zane and other Weider athletes who could have gotten as many Weider products as they wanted for free supposedly bought Blair’s products as they found it much more superior. Frank, in particular, used quite a bit of Blair’s supplements for his dietary and supplement regiments.
    The old saying goes that there’s nothing new under the sun but there is a lot of thing we don’t know about. Funny how this saying can be applied to perfectly to bodybuilding; there are so many misconceptions in this sport than there seem to be in any other. Many people think that the whey protein that is so popular today is a modern creation but in reality, it has been around for about 50 years.
    Vince also recommended something that many bodybuilders today neglect and that is digestive enzymes. In particular, he was very interested in digestion and how to maximize absorption of the foods you eat. Personally, it makes sense to me as if you eat 10lbs. of meat everyday but find that you’re feeling horrible and have to use the toilet 10 times, than that is 10lbs. of meat wasted. And in this fragile economy, you must save and use everything you have as economically as possible and maximize it as much as possible.
    Here are some articles and quotations Vince stated regarding nutrition. Most, if not all of these posts were found in Ironguru.com

EATING FOR FOOD VALUE
    "Eat for nutrition and food value. Emphasize natural foods, avoid processed foods and eliminate junk entirely."
    - Vince Gironda

IN DEFENSE OF CHOLESTEROL
    An excerpt from the March, 1975 Issue of Science Digest
    John Yudkin, professor emeritus of nutrition at the University of London and an egg fancier, recently defended cholesterol against the charge that it's the main culprit behind heart disease.
    Speaking before the annual conference of the International Egg Commission, Yudkin attacked what we called "the Reader's Digest view" of coronary thrombosis - namely, that eating too much cholesterol, or animal fat, leads to a high concentration of cholesterol in the blood, which in turn leads to deposits in the coronary arteries and ultimately a clot that cuts off the blood supply to the heart. In short, eating such high-cholesterol foods as eggs eventually dumps you on the floor with a heart attack.
    "Ridiculously oversimplified," says Yudkin. Recent studies that indicate high blood cholesterol as the most distinctive characteristic of coronary victims, he points out, ignore several of their other salient traits. Looking at countries with a high rate of heart disease, says Yudkin, we do find a tendency to eat fatty foods, but we also find a larger proportion of people with diabetes and with a high blood level of triglyceride, or ordinary neutral fat. Yudkin claims scientists have homed in on cholesterol as the villain partly "because it happens to be easier to measure."
    In defense of cholesterol, Yudkin points out that not everyone who eats a diet high in animal fat ends up with a high cholesterol level in his blood, and even those with high cholesterol counts don't always get coronary thrombosis. he cites a study of Eskimos, who eat a lot of fat, that shows they have just as much cholesterol in their blood as Americans, yet suffer far fewer heart attacks.
    "So there is a limit," he continues, "to what you can do with epidemiology, and you can show that in general terms there is an association between consumption of fat in a population and a high risk of getting heart attacks. You can do the same with a whole lot of other factors. You can get just as good as or better association with sugar consumption."
    Yudkin emphasizes that as yet no sure link has been established between diet and coronary thrombosis, but states that triglyceride level in the blood is a much better indicator of coronary risk than cholesterol. And blood triglyceride, he says, is determined by how much sugar, not how many eggs, you eat.
    (IronMan Magazine July 1976 Vol. 35 No. 5)

VINCE GIRONDA MAXIMUM DEFINITION DIET
    There has always been considerable mystery and misconception concerning a definition diet. Let’s hope this article will help to straighten out a few of these.
    To begin with, all carbohydrates must be removed from a maximum definition diet. This means – all fruit, all vegetables, all salad greens and all milk products (cheeses, yogurt, ice cream, milk and buttermilk). The only milk products that can be used are butter and cream.
    Any kind of meat, fish or fowl and eggs are the only foods permissible. You must, however, eat some carbohydrate every four or five days because you will find that you will smooth out and veins and cuts will disappear. You will find also that you are not getting the pump you should and your strength will decrease. This is because a zero carbohydrate diet drains all the stored glycogen from the liver, and only carbohydrate will replenish it. But don’t try to eat a small amount of carbohydrate each day.
    You will only find you are smoothing out.
    This high protein diet will tend to make you nervous because of the phosphorus in the meat. That is why I suggest you keep your calcium (tablets) intake high.

VINCE GIRONDA TELLS YOU HOW – A MUSCLE BUILDING DIET
    The following diet as recommended by Vince Gironda and used on some of his people in his gym, is not to be used as a permanent type diet, but only for a short period of time for special purposes of stimulating added muscle growth.
    When I am approached in my gym by anyone who asks about gaining weight, I usually ask this question: "Do you want increased bodyweight, or is it size that you are after?" Invariably the answer is "Size"!
    So let's not confuse bodyweight with muscle growth. (How much do you think an extra inch on your arm will affect the scale?)
    This diet is designed to step up muscle tissue growth - not out on bodyweight. Remember, muscle size is desirable - not bodyweight - which will only smooth out your definition and increase the size of your hips and waist and cause a loss of symmetry.
    Breakfast -
    12 oz. Half and Half
    2 eggs
    1 Tablespoon Milk & Egg Protein
    1 oz. Amino Acids (mixed in a blender)
    Supplements to be used with this drink:
    3-4 Hydrochloric Acid tablets
    3-4 Enzyme tablets
    1 R.N.A. tablet
    1 Organic Iron tablet
    3 Tri-Germ Oil Capsules
    Lunch -
    Hamburger patty and Cottage Cheese
    Supplements:
    Same as Breakfast except for Iron and R.N.A.
    3 o'clock snack -
    Natural (Not processed cheese)
    1 oz. Amino Acids
    Dinner -
    Steak or Hamburger (up to 1 lb.)
    Cottage Cheese
    Supplements: Same as other two meals except iron.
    Before retiring -
    Protein drink
    Between Meals -
    (Every three hours) 6 Liver Tablets

NEW DISCOVERIES WITH DESSICATED LIVER
    Only within the last few years have the important values of desiccated liver been proven and new light shed on this outstanding food.
    One of the most important facts about desiccated liver is its ability to help the body detoxify many chemicals that are dangerous but extremely hard to escape from. When eating meat it is almost impossible to escape from the intake of Desdiethylstilbesterol, a synthetic female hormone in the meat. Hopefully, this hormone will be taken out of all beef shortly. With enough regular daily intake of desiccated liver the body can detoxify DES. It can also detoxify cortisone, many pharmaceutical drugs, nicotine, alcohol and marijuana.
    Only within the last few years has the most important factor in desiccated liver been uncovered. It took 20 years before it was discovered. It was made by Dr. Minor J. Coon, Univ. of Michigan. He succeeded in isolating and testing a red protein pigment which was given the name of P-450. This pigment tested and retested in the laboratory proved it was able to perform all the functions of liver that had been previously tested on the vitamins but not found attributable to them.
    P-450 is not water soluble, and that the drying process in concentration of desiccated liver from whole liver does not remove this newly discovered liver factor, but rather concentrates it.
    P-450 is a catalyst which speeds up oxidation of chemicals important to human life and detoxifies poisonous substances that we breathe in and digest in food. Production of energy is a process of oxidation of glucose within the cell. This in turn produces fatigue toxins that gradually slow down energy. P-450 can improve the energy production process and also improve the ability of the body to detoxify the fatigue toxins. That is why the rats were able to continue on for so long.
    Later tests on human children were made. The results were confirmed. The unidentified factor in liver is as important to human growth and endurance as it is to that of laboratory animals.
    (Musclemag Vol2 issue 1)

VINCE GIRONDA EUROPEAN WEIGHT GAINING TRICK
    Vince claimed this mix was a proven and tested way to gain weight and he stated he had students that gained as much as 40 pounds following it.

Simply mix equal parts of half & half mixed in ginger ale. Drink this mix three times a day between meals. That’s it!

THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS A BALANCED DIET
    According to Vilhjalmur Stefansson (who wrote "Not By Bread Alone" 25 years ago), after spending 18 years living with the Eskimos on a diet of meat and fat, claims there is no such thing as a balanced diet such as the 'basic 7 foods' which government charts attest to. Here is a book that should be read by everyone who eats meat - and everyone who does not eat meat. The evidence as incontrovertible.
    (IronMan Magazine Nov 1973 Vol. 33 No. 1)

HOW TO USE AND PREPARE PROTEIN FOR MUSCLE SIZE
    Never use a blender to mix protein. Blenders emulsify the fat in milk to a suspension too small for digestion. (Homogenized Milk.) Never use milk for a protein mix. Milk has too much carbohydrate. Protein and carbohydrate digest in different mediums. Protein (acid medium), Carbohydrates (alkaline medium). You may mix powdered protein and eggs in heavy whipping cream. Whipping cream is zero carbohydrate. Mix with a spoon to a consistency of pudding and eat with a spoon. Cow's milk or cream has five times the lysine found in human milk. Calves double body weight every 30 days. Human babies double bodyweight every six months. Before bodybuilders discovered supplements, milk was the principal growth food. Cow's milk, or cream, also contain the anterior pituitary hormone which is secreted by the cow when lactating to accelerate growth of the calf. Bodybuilders consuming cow's milk (or cream) can also benefit from this growth hormone. This food mixture should be eaten with two or three H.C.L. (hydrochloric acid) tablets for metabolic, digestive support. All units of protein are measured with eggs as No. 1 protein, milk is 2nd, and meat is 3rd. Enough for the No. 1 growth protein mix.
    The next protein to discuss is: Steak and Eggs - the strong man's favorite meal. The amount of meat and the number of eggs used are a matter of body weight, height and severity of training. This meal is the favorite of bodybuilders interested in keeping up their size and burning all possible fat from their bodies. Both of these meals are excellent blood sugar elevators and both sustain blood sugar levels for a 6-hour period. Training on steak and eggs, you will find, does not require more than two meals a day (morning and night). I am not listing grams of protein in these meals because I do not think it is necessary. Force feeding of excessive amounts of protein can and will put you in Negative Nitrogen Balance - and can cause uric acid retention and kidney, bladder and liver problems. If you are not working out hard enough you will find you lose your taste for protein and you will naturally and normally cut back on quantity. When this happens a protein rest should be taken by eating steamed vegetables, raw vegetables and salads for 3-5 days, until you regain your taste for protein foods. You must remember that your individual needs are different from the next man's, so listen to your body rhythms and do not force food into a body that does not require it. Forget man's so-called logic and find your own metabolic needs.
    A word to those who do not understand cholesterol: Exercise is the very best fat emulsifier known, because man still reacts to stress (which is the primary cause of cholesterol overproduction) as he did when in a primitive state. Cholesterol calls for action (Fight or Flight). Cholesterol prepares you in case of injury (stops bleeding if you are cut, or protects a rupture of veins). Also, a little known fact is that the body manufactures more cholesterol that you can possibly eat. The body reduces cholesterol output - or produces more - depending on how much of it you ingest. Fats and oils are fat emulsifiers themselves (lepotropics). So, who started the misconception that fats and oils cause unnatural cholesterol levels? As a matter of fact, if you study this problem you will find it is a substance known as tri-glyceride that is the culprit. Remember, nature is balance. Read Steffanson's book, "Not By Bread Alone." He lived with the Eskimos for 18 years on meat and fat only!
    (IronMan Magazine March 1976 Vol. 35 No. 3)

What I am hoping to do is just share some of things I have learned with other people so that they may expand their own base of knowledge and become the best bodybuilder that they can be. There’s just too many misinformation out there about nutrition that people make it out to harder and more complex to understand than it should be. Just my small contribution; I will continue to update this post as much as I can.

nice read. most of it i already know from basic bodybuilding nutrition knowledge. but still very educational

Great article...the man was way ahead of his time!!!

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by jsfitnessking View Post
    nice read. most of it i already know from basic bodybuilding nutrition knowledge. but still very educational
    It's good if you know most of this stuff already. Thanks for the output; if you found it educational than that's great. It did what it was supposed to.

Years after receiving it as a gift, I still read through my copy of "The Wild Physique" front to cover every 3-4 months, and I swear to god, every time I read it, that Man gets smarter and smarter and I learn something new. It is the perfect bodybuilding book for anyone looking to do it the right way.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by mangoat View Post
    Years after receiving it as a gift, I still read through my copy of "The Wild Physique" front to cover every 3-4 months, and I swear to god, every time I read it, that Man gets smarter and smarter and I learn something new. It is the perfect bodybuilding book for anyone looking to do it the right way.
    You're absolutely right about that. I own a copy of the "Wild Physique" myself (it is still available to order - Ron Kosloff, owner of NSP Research Nutrition sells it for $28.00 - a little shameless plug ) and it is an absolute keepsake. Highly recommended read for any bodybuilder.

RX MEMBER

Here's some more, these are personal accounts about Vince's nutrition:

VINCE GIRONDA EGGS DIET
    2-3 dozen eggs a day is a lot, especially if your current diet is moderate in protein and fat. Take it easy at first, and remember you will not be taking in any carbohydrates (assuming you are doing the fat loss diet) except once every 3-4 days in the form of a carb only meal.

Cooking and eating 2-3 dozen cooked eggs a day is difficult, but I found shakes to be the most convenient way of getting my fill.

One shake consists of:

Cream (half and half)
    12 eggs (raw)
    Water and Ice
    Pure protein powder (quality whey/or milk and egg) - the powder is mainly for flavor.

Drink this throughout your morning as breakfast.

Adjust the volume to your preference (ie. taste and consistency).

And adjust the egg content to what you can handle (ex. 6 eggs x 3 x day = 1.5 doz. = half way to 3 doz.)

Repeat at noon and evening. Or make several shakes in the morning and bring them with you to work (so long as you have a fridge for storage).

If you want to eat, eat some eggs or meat. But you'll probably find your appetite calms down, and your cravings will subside.

Nick told me my diet was...

eggs: unlimited
    meat: unlimited
    ..."thats it, any questions?"

remember to take digestive enzymes, an EFA blend, and a quality multi-vit (good b complex)
    Vince liked liver tabs, and glandulars as well.

If you are not trying to lose bodyfat then just keep your carb intake moderate. By moderate I mean have some toast with your eggs, or enjoy a small veggie side dish with your steak. What I don't mean is inhaling worthless cereals, or other processed starchy foods with every meal. The kind of carbs you ingest doesn't matter...it all becomes a form a glucose (sugar) and will cause an insulin response (usually leading to bodyfat deposits). The exception would be fiberous food products, as your body cannot digest them.

VINCE GIRONDA NUTRITION
    I did not last long on Vince's nutrition program. His son Guy, warned me it would not be fun. He was right. But that's just me.

I'll never forget shaking up heavy cream, raw eggs and a packet of equal (which Vince generously permitted me to add for "flavour") in the tiny motel room down the block from his gym. I suppose the best part was steak but at that time I lacked money for frequent "feedings" of steak.

No food combining. "Sandwiches" consisted of wrapping roast beef around slices of cheese. I settled on eating roast beef with mayo for lunch as my favorite. My friends made fun of me at restaurants as they snatched the traditional bread from me during Italian meals.

I was permitted two carb meals a week in which I could eat as many carbs as I liked. This was not necessary but was done more to balance the psyche and stress of training and eating as he demanded.

In retrospect, I think I may not have eaten enough to replace the carbs that were subtracted. I'll tell you what, though. In two weeks I was as defined as I ever was. But I just could not hack it long term. I got headaches and was walking into walls. I stopped after 3 months and returned to "normal" eating.

Water. Vince had rules about water. You could not have it right before, during, or right after a workout. You did not have it at meals or right after meals. Any other time you were to drink as much (water) as you like.

Finding raw milk in NYC was hard at that time. Or free ranging chickens. Or eggs laid from free ranging chickens.

Then there was the supplements. Raw Glandulars, Liver tabs, Aminos (original pharmaceutical, free form spooned into fluid back then) every three hours. Digestive Enzyme tabs with each meal remember when he gave me my first lot of supplements he said: "Arty, THIS is the REAL food!" I don't know how much they contributed to my physique but I do recall having some technicolor toilet trips!

Vince was funny to eat with. We went out for breakfast once and they gave him a hash brown patty or something like it with his steak and eggs. He held it aloft and said he did not remember ordering this hogwash! I was told he behaved like that *all the time* eating out--always returning the unwanted extra stuff that came with meals—with disdain. Man was he funny!

RX MEMBER

Here's some of my personal accounting:

It was a bit hard at first to take up Vince's teachings about nutrition. First things first, the carbs were a no-no. I laugh whenever I hear how a bodybuilder is so miserable when they're dieting yet when I see their daily menu, it contains something like 300g of carbs each day. On one of Vince's diets, I was consuming about 5000 calories; plenty of beef, eggs and eggs blended in cream. The ONLY carbs I was eating were veggies. For a bit there, my preferred "cheat" meal was egg whites and rice. Seriously, it was crazy. I was actually craving these things rather than pizza or cake or something like that. The diet did work, the only exception is that I have a bad stomach. I can be sensitive to certain things and this can cause me to frequent the washroom quite a bit.

One thing I remember very prominently is drinking RAW EGGS IN CREAM. I still remember the first time I blended raw eggs with heavy cream and drank it. Now, with half and half, it's actually not so bad because the taste of the cream somewhat overpowered the eggs but with whipping cream, it BLENDED with the eggs so now, I was getting the FULL flavour of the raw eggs. Plus, it was thick so it took a bit to drink all down. Oh man, it sucked but it did work.

If you're at all familiar with Vince and his teachings was that he was, like the hardcore old school gurus, very STRICT with everything and had a neat little twist to everything that you had to do. Learning about Vince's nutrition and familiarizing yourself with it is more comparable to a course in University than just the simple "eat more and you'll grow more" take home message everyone gives. There's so much indepth that the man was and is still ahead of his time and for future generations to come. Ron Kosloff told me personally over the phone that Vince was 1000 years ahead of his time and he just might be right.

I will add more as time goes on. Share your thoughts if you have them.

Good Stuff!

please keep it coming: good thread

RX MEMBER

One topic I have to mention if I am talking about Vince’s nutrition is digestion and absorption. Vince was supposedly very interested in this area for the reason being that if you can’t digest anything you eat, your body won’t be able use anything from the foods you eat such as proteins from beef. I’m sure most of you are aware of this basic fact but one interesting fact some people may not know is that Vince at times recommended vegetarian-type diets. He felt that this was necessary at times as for the bodybuilder who takes in excess amounts of nutrients for prolonged periods of times, his or her body will stop responding due to the enormous amounts of food that has been taken in. One such diet that Vince wrote about was what he calls the vegetarian reducing diet he presented in one of his manuals, the “Blueprint for the Bodybuilder”.
    The “Main Body” of the diet consisted of a salad including these vegetables, straight from the manual:
    1. A bed of raw spinach leaves
    2. Sliced Zucchini or squash
    3. Raw Mushrooms
    4. Carrot Sticks
    5. Sliced Celery
    6. Cucumbers (gas forming for some)
    7. Water Chestnuts
    8. Cherry Tomatoes
    9. Cauliflower Heads
    10. Sprouts (bean)
    11. Avocado
    12. Raw Beets
    13. Green Peppers
    14. Parsley
    15. Watercress
    The diet plan also consists of as many fertile eggs as you can comfortable digest, mixed in certified cream for breakfast. You must mix the eggs by using a fork as blending it in the blender or any type of machine will break down the fat to minute suspension and the body will be unable to digest it.
    He states that this diet is “the most comfortable reducing diet” he has ever tried.
    If you feel that you’re body needs a break from the high protein intake, try it. However, I suggest you take in some dessicated liver tablets so that you will spare the muscle mass you have.

RX MEMBER

Here's an article that you guys may find interesting. In it, Vince talks about RNA, or Ribonucleic acid.

Nucleic Acid RNA For Bodybuilding
    Nucleic acids of the various kinds found within the nuclei of all living cells are the fundamental substances used in clinical investigation into aging and other aspects of human health. These nutrients are essential to life. They include the nucleoproteins ribonucleic acid (RNA) and deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), discovered by science to contain the very blueprints by which all living matter knows how and when to reproduce itself. DNA contains the master blueprint; RNA is the messenger which carries the pattern to cells throughout the body. A vast amount of scientific research is now concentrated upon these fantastic elements which constitute the very basis of life itself. And it is through further knowledge of DNA and RNA discovered by microbiologists that the entire scientific world expects major breakthroughs in the understanding of nil life processes.

NATURAL - NOT SYNTHETIC

As stated, the nucleic acids DNA and ENA are the cellular components which control heredity and subsequent ability of the body to keep reproducing its inherited patterns. But more - these strands of acid within the cell nucleus also govern all life processes in health and disease. All organs and tissues of the body appear to undergo some form of aging. With the passage of time, many of the functional parts of the organs may be replaced by nonfunctional fibrous tissue. The cells or organs may degenerate through development of fat, accumulation of pigment, formation of vacuoles, or because of hyaline changes in the cell.

On the other hand, cells may proliferate, rather than degenerate, and produce a larger than normal organ, which may be either harmless or cancerous.

One of the most obvious effects of aging is the wrinkling of skin. In aging skin, there is a decrease in elasticity, and a thinning due to loss of fat and water. Lines and wrinkles in the face and hands become more prominent. The backs of the hands, highly visible indicators of age, become shiny, spotted with lentigus (brownish pigmented areas), and perhaps may develop senile keratoses (horny, wart-like growths).

Why do all these changes occur? Because the cells which contain the blueprints for the formation of the various organs are tired and worn and no longer able to maintain the pattern they inherited.

To maintain youthfulness one must find ways to help the body's DNA and ENA renew themselves so as to keep their patterns of genetic information etched clean and fresh. Work already done with DNA and ENA and related metabolites demonstrates the importance of these substances to the quality, as well as length, of life. They point not only to a longer life free of disease, but to the marvelous quality of being young as long as you live.

Aging involves decay of DNA which, in turn, leads to an improperly formed messenger, RNA. Since RNA is responsible for the formation of enzymes needed by the body, these enzymes are not formed properly, or perhaps they may not be formed at all. If they are not formed properly, obviously they cannot have normal metabolic function.

RNA, especially when combined with metabolically associated B Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids and Sugars, will enter the cell and aid in normal regeneration of the decayed metabolic organization of the cell, and in so doing will bring about normal enzyme synthesis and activation.

The results obtained by using an oral formula with a dietary regimen rich in nucleic acids have been highly important. Basic ingredients of the oral formula are RNA, Amino Acids, B-Complex Vitamins, Minerals, Sugars and Lipids. Dosages of between 30 milligrams and 300 milligrams daily, plus B-Complex factors in the form of Vitamin capsules were used.

There appears to be no absolute contraindications to the use of nucleic acid, particularly RNA, in therapy. Gout or high serum uric arid levels are relative contraindications, but even in these circumstances RNA-based therapy can be given as long as adequate management is employed. Lower RNA doses of ½ grains have been used in these cases.

The most immediate effect from using these substances even in dosages as low as 30 milligrams of RNA daily, was an increase in energy and well-being. Higher doses produced this effect as early as the second or third day.

The most striking effects are observed on the skin of the face. Again, within the limits tested, the higher the dosage, the more rapidly these effects were observed. The first results observed were a healthier, rosier appearance and a simultaneous apparent smoothing of the skin of the face, but without any actual change in wrinkles and lines. This occurred within the first or second week of treatment, usually within the first week.

When dosages as low as ½ grain to 1 grain of RNA were given daily, or five days each week, these early changes occurred in about two or three weeks. When doses of 5 grains daily, five days weekly were used, the changes occurred within the first week. After one or two months of treatment, sometimes earlier, there not only was an increase in smoothness and color of the skin, but lines and wrinkles began to diminish also.

Wrinkles in the forehead were often the first to decrease in depth. lines around the eyes took longer to decrease in depth, and though there was not a total disappearance of any wrinkles or lines, in the large majority of cases there was a distinctly noticeable decrease in their depth. Skin tightened, as well, and recovered moisture.

Skin on the back of the hand improved in smoothness in the vast majority of cases in three or four months. Roughness of skin of the elbows and other joints was lessened.

One standard test of aging of skin is the return to normal condition of pinched skin of the back of the hand. The treatment produced, after three or four months,m a quicker return to normal condition of the pinched skin in the majority of patients. In 15 patients, including nine women and six men, varying in ages from 40 to 71 years, the pinch-return time was improved by 30 per cent to 40 per cent. These patients were taking 5 grains of RNA daily, 5 days a week, for three months, along with a therapeutic B-complex capsule.

My conclusions are that RNA is the super catalyst - and if combined with Niacin it should be even more effective. I feel that RNA should be included in all Vitamin, mineral, protein formulas.

(IronMan Magazine March 1977 Vol. 36 No. 3)

vince was an interesting dude... LOTS of trial and error and he always based his notions on current science. I would love to see what he'd be doing now given the new technologies available to researchers.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by pnohe View Post
    vince was an interesting dude... LOTS of trial and error and he always based his notions on current science. I would love to see what he'd be doing now given the new technologies available to researchers.
    He probably would stick to his guts and remain the same with his convictions. Before he passed away in 1997, he grew very bitter and dissatisfied with bodybuilding (he referred to them as "pharmaceutical conventions" rather than a physique show).

RX MEMBER

Here is an article that should outline very clearly what Vince thought of digestive enzymes. Vince was pretty complex with everything and came to his conclusions by testing them out first hand. If it didn't work, he would discard it, if it did work, he would keep it and recommend it to others who might have had the same problems. This is one of the reasons why he was so adamant about everything. He had REASONS for everything that he did. Anyway, here is the article:

Bile, Digestion, and Fatty Tumors
    When the ingestion of fats and proteins occurs there are mainly two substances that the body secretes to administer digestion.

One is hydrochloric acid, for the protein, and two is bile, for the fat.

You must take into consideration the bad eating habits of our nation as we have become a society of carbohydrate eaters. The stomach recognizes only the carbohydrates and says "if you’re not going to eat fats and proteins, like the body was designed to do, then we just won’t manufacture the hydrochloric acid and bile needed."

The over abundance of carbohydrates cause our stomachs to become alkaline, and because we don’t utilize the bile in our gallbladder, the bile becomes very thick causing poor digestion, in affect resulting in stones in the gallbladder. Gall stones and the removal of the gallbladder occur in abundance in this country.

Ever since we have diminished our protein digestion and increased the amount of carbohydrates we eat gallbladder surgery has sky-rocketed over the last 50 years. The medical profession loves this jump in surgeries. They are totally unaware, or rather don’t want to know that stones of all kinds can be flushed or dissolved from the body using natural methods. The typical gallbladder operation averages approximately 20,000 dollars. The medical profession gets away with this because they believe and go on to tell you, that you don’t need your gallbladder anyway. Yeah, sure! It's just an expendable organ!

If your body doesn’t need a gallbladder then why is it there?

Throughout my childhood, and well into my late teens, I would get these little fatty tumors all over my body. In 1965-1968 I had about 8 of these tumors on my body. Being immature, and not knowing much, I went to my medical doctor for advisement. He said "we don’t know what causes them, but you can have them removed by a surgeon."

Note: if you really observe Medical doctors you will see that they have no idea what causes most so-called disorders.

I didn’t know what to do or think. I did know that I wasn’t comfortable with this "doctor", and didn’t like him. I did however go to a surgeon and had all of the tumors removed. Remember I was young!

The tumors were checked to make sure they were not cancerous. Happily all of the tumors were benign. Years later during my study of nutrition I found out what causes fatty tissue tumors. Fatty tumors are caused by the inability to digest fats. The bile in an individuals system is too thick and the function of the gallbladder is just sub par which creates stones when you eat poorly. I was born with a very, very sub par unhealthy gallbladder. Everybody is born deficient in something and it only gets worse as we age. I say "we all have crosses to bear."

Thanks to all of my nutritional teachers I started to take digestive enzymes. It has worked very well for me and countless others. There are people who say that you don’t need supplements. This might only be true if you eat a well balanced diet consisting of only good foods, and have no physical deficiencies, which is rare today.

A good diet is one that does not include any processed or refined foods. Everyone can benefit from supplements. There are a lot of people with crosses to bear or deficiencies to overcome and they need supplementation just as I do.

If I don't take my Digestive Enzymes I don’t digest fats, simple as that.

Not taking my Digestive Enzymes results in me belching and passing gas. I certainly want to stay healthy just like I hope you do.

The reason I have told you this story is because I have literally trained hundreds of people that couldn’t have made any gains what so ever until they overcame bad digestion.

Ever since I have been studying Vince Gironda’s teachings I have seen this truism. Vince has always stressed the importance of protein and fat digestion.

It is not what you eat, but what you digest that counts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast