Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by babygorilla View Post
    IFBB lives matter
    I blame white privilege

OLYMPIAN

Why is it that a lot of bodybuilding judges have pencil necks. Why are these individuals attracted to bodybuilding?

The way that judge flew through the air you would think he had been smashed by the incredible Hulk. It was like something from a cartoon.

There definitely is something goofy about the shifting / regional / judge-specific criteria to win. It would be so nice if each federation had consistent (and enforced) judging criteria. If they can't (or won't) do that, then I guess it's Caveat Emptor for all people who choose to compete.

It's crazy that this stuff is just an implicit part of this whole thing we call "competitive bodybuilding", but I guess at the end of the day, people keep coming / coming back and the money keeps flowing. :c.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

gogeta - thanks for giving so much more context to this - I know when I read about it, I was definitely thinking that going into competition, you just have to be prepared to get a less than satisfying and often illogical result for all your work, and IMO you sort of give up your right to pitch a fit at results just by entering the silliness of competition. But given the circumstances, that poor guy must be frustrated beyond belief and appears to really have gotten screwed. But also as a competitor, your sportsmanship is what defines you at the end of it all.

But yea, the craziness of federations & their competitions never ceases to amaze.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Yes actually the competitive ranks either amateurs or pros here in Greece are divided equally. Everything exploded from social media pages,to forums & even mainstream media. Half believe that he was so mistreated for the last 5 or so years by the officials and even justify him & the other half although they believed that there was no clear cut winner what he did was wrong and he lost any justification for being fustrated and asking for a re-judgement but even they will tell you that there was a lot of background behind this event & things were like a volcano,you just happened to witness the eruption of the tip abroad.
    I certainly disagree with the physical violence,not to mention the repercussions were heavy on all the Greek athletes by the National Federation (IFBB punished the athlete but NFBB the equivalent of the NPC in the US punished all the Greek athletes) & though we are in shock,everyone kinda of expected this to happen,it was inevitable,judging here is so misleading that it was a matter of time for someone to snap.
    I won't stay so much on the incident,as I said before the athlete and the 2 Federations had prehistory,but I wasn't so shocked that something like this happened I was shocked because we were so right we knew it would happen but no one did anything to prevent it

Send by New Planet Vegeta
    Last edited by gogeta5; 11-29-2016 at 03:15 PM.

In the vein of "moving on", I know US competition is goofy, but that hit to the whole group of Greek competitors will probably impact a "generation" (where "generation" can be one round of major competitions ... our memories are oh, so short ...!) in that arena. For that impact, I definitely hope some good and thoughtful progress comes of it. For all the effort that goes into this sport, a little consideration to the competitors could go such a long way towards more & continued involvement in the federation that gives the consideration.
    ~Jack Lalanne

Everyone literally begs the NFBB to reconsider,bodybuilding is certainly not flourishing & to add things up,we have nearly 10 federations-organazations and you can have 10 different men claiming respectably that they are Mr. Hellas in their bodyweight or their height category (yes some sactions divide you based on your height so you can have a man 6 feet at 200 pounds and another 6 feet at 250 pounds on stage. Also you can have only 2 men competing due to lack of competitors since there are so many sanctions. I met recently a man claiming to be Mr. Hellas only by winning in his category with 1 competitor,him).
    As of now most of the athletes I know either pro or those who wanted to get their pro card by competing are considering to compete with the NFBB of Greece's brother country,Cyprus.
    Chris Pistolas won the overall on that event and was awarded an IFBB pro card but now he is not allowed to compete for 2 years,imaging his fustration now...

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

The two-year suspension of all competitors is incredible. I hope someone rescinds that decision.

A friend on Facebook said she has a Greek competitor prepared to compete in Chicago but that plan is dashed if the judgment holds fast. Greek athletes may not compete anywhere? What sense does that make? :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    The two-year suspension of all competitors is incredible. I hope someone rescinds that decision.

A friend on Facebook said she has a Greek competitor prepared to compete in Chicago but that plan is dashed if the judgment holds fast. Greek athletes may not compete anywhere? What sense does that make? :-(
    All the Greek athletes that won their pro cards while they were sanctioned by the National Federation of Body Building of Greece and all Greek amateurs athletes will not be competing in any contest here in Greece or abroad anywhere on the planet for a period of 2 years.
    Michael Kefallianos,a Mr. Olympia competitor is of Greek nationality,he lives and trains in Greece in the island of Los but he was awarded his pro card in Australia (there was a background as to what was the reason for that but it is still shady to most of us). He can compete anytime and everywhere practically representing Australia.
    Chris Pistolas competed as a NFBB athlete of Greece and won the overall of the Diamond Cup on Sunday and won his IFBB pro card. Due to this decision he will not be competing for 2 years.
    All amateur athletes that belong to the NFBB of Greece won't be competing as well.
    So yes all the Greek athletes that either belong as amateurs in the NFBB of Greece or were awarded in Greece their IFBB pro card won't be competing.
    Greece will not be represented by any athlete. I guess as a countermeasure for what happened. As I said for some time things were about to explode so they took it to the extreme. I personally think this will kill the sport here in Greece

Last edited by gogeta5; 11-29-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Beat View Post
    Why is it that a lot of bodybuilding judges have pencil necks. Why are these individuals attracted to bodybuilding?

The way that judge flew through the air you would think he had been smashed by the incredible Hulk. It was like something from a cartoon.
    Speaking as a pencil neck, I grew up reading superhero comic books. First heard of Weider and Schwarzenegger in comic book ads for bodybuilding gizmos and courses. Though I'll never be a competitive bodybuilder regardless of how many divisions they dream up, I'm a fan and can see how other fans might gravitate towards judging as a way to participate beyond simply looking at the magazines or following the sport on Instagram or websites.

I don't see any difference between people who can't drive being NASCAR fans or wimps being fans of an NFL sports team or pro wrestling and pencil necks being fans of bodybuilding.

grrr-pencilneck.jpg
    grrr -_-

Quote Originally Posted by gogeta5 View Post
    I personally think this will kill the sport here in Greece

Unacceptable or it would seem unacceptable to me if there's money on the table. What's the incentive to eliminate the sport in Greece to those who make money from competition bodybuilding? The NFBB is cutting its own throat.

Unacceptable or it would seem unacceptable to me if there's money on the table. What's the incentive to eliminate the sport in Greece to those who make money from competition bodybuilding? The NFBB is cutting its own throat.
    There are so many sanctions here in Greece that bodybuilding as a result has extremely weakened to the point that money is not really being made by anyone. The athletes certainly don't make any and the events gather a lot of attendees and competitors for Greece's standards but for a corporation no,the standards don't bring that much profit to anyone,instead of let's say have a deep line up in the super heavies with 30 men,you have 15 competing or less with 3 or 4 worth fighting for a pro card if they dial up,you have another 15 men fighting in the NABBA to get to an international event at WABBA so there you have another 3 or 4 guys worth of a pro card but will never fight for it,so everyone,athletes,attendees & sponsors & organisers are divided into different sanctions instead of all uniting into 1 strong one. But yes everyone says this is suicide for the Federation

Last edited by gogeta5; 11-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.

OLYMPIAN

Speaking as a pencil neck, I grew up reading superhero comic books. First heard of Weider and Schwarzenegger in comic book ads for bodybuilding gizmos and courses. Though I'll never be a competitive bodybuilder regardless of how many divisions they dream up, I'm a fan and can see how other fans might gravitate towards judging as a way to participate beyond simply looking at the magazines or following the sport on Instagram or websites.

I don't see any difference between people who can't drive being NASCAR fans or wimps being fans of an NFL sports team or pro wrestling and pencil necks being fans of bodybuilding.

grrr-pencilneck.jpg
    grrr -_-

I suppose putting on grey pants and a blue blazer is not something that appealed to me. It attracts a certain type of person mainly people that feel empowered deciding peoples faith in a beauty pagent. Some do it for money and control.

These organizations are filled with croneys who rule regionally for decade after decade without challenge. There's nothing democratic about it. Some are basically despots.

RX MEMBER

here's the worst part.......

TMZ and ROLLING STONE both did write ups on this shit today
    Last edited by babygorilla; 11-30-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babygorilla View Post
    here's the worst part.......

TMZ and ROLLING STONE both did write ups on this shit today
    This almost supports John Romano's perspective.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast