Default Arnold Schwarzenegger Opened Up About Body Confidence Issues in a New Interview

"I'd look in the mirror after I won one Mr. Olympia after another and think, 'How did this pile of shit win?'

In his Herculean pomp, Arnold Schwarzenegger's muscle-bound body was considered flawless enough to earn the titles of Mr. Universe and Mr. Olympia a record-shattering 10 times.

But in a candid new interview, Schwarzenegger, 69, has revealed that he was beset by body-confidence issues at the time of competition, and that his physical anxieties still plague him to this day.

The bodybuilder turned actor told Cigar Aficionado: "When I look in the mirror, I throw up.

"And I was already so critical of myself, even when I was in top physical shape.

"I'd look in the mirror after I won one Mr. Olympia after another and think, 'How did this pile of shit win?'"

Schwarzenegger reasons that his unhealthy mental state helped him in his ascent to world domination on the bodybuilding circuit.

"I do lack confidence, but I do the reps and do them enough that the thing itself will be doable when it's time. When I was competing at bodybuilding, I did so many hours of reps—on the weights, practicing the poses—that when I got onstage, I was comfortable and confident," he said. "The more reps you do, the more you look smooth and convincing. The more you do it, the better you get. That's how you gain confidence."

Despite his impressive medal-tally and the global fame it inspired, Schwarzenegger's pursuit for perfection left him personally unfulfilled.

"I never saw perfection," he said. "There was always something lacking. I could always find a million things wrong with myself and that's what got me back into the gym, because I started out with that mentality."

You can only hope that Arnie's bravely revealing interview will compel more men to acknowledge and discuss their own body confidence issues. Because if Hercules can admit he has a problem, then anyone can.
    Watch #askDave on RxMuscle.com. Catch previous episodes HERE

OLYMPIAN

I thought most people got into weights to be bigger and stronger, to hide a fragile ego and to look tough. Most people are happy to be big and strong, they don't fret over the detail of how they look aesthetically.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

I call bullshit.

I think he's over egged it for the sake of a nice article. By way of example I'll slate myself as a means of geeing myself up in the gym, something Arnold has referred to previously but skews in this article. So I'll mutter 'move it you faggot, come on some mutha is doing more, get this done' and so on. Arnold has said he knows others were stronger, bigger, etc yet he would beat them as much with his attitude and knowing their weak points as anything. He also played down a LOT how much he studied others yet, as we've seen in one video, he could mimic their poses exactly.
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    I think he's over egged it for the sake of a nice article.
    I agree. I think this is calculated. He's appealing to a specific audience for a purpose. Some PR person advised him to appear vulnerable. But why would this approach appeal to readers of Cigar Aficionado?

I hope his Celebrity Apprentice shows are well received.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    He also played down a LOT how much he studied others yet, as we've seen in one video, he could mimic their poses exactly.
    I've never seen (or don't remember) that video, but I've seen a vid of Victor Martinez duplicating signature poses of other bodybuilders. Very cool to see.

I knew it. This is a tactic.

He's promoting his show. And he's trying to reshape his image given the current climate.

Screenshot_2016-12-23-08-44-17-1.jpg

NBC's New 'Apprentice' Star Arnold Schwarzenegger Arrives With Trump-Like Baggage

By Kate Stanhope
    10/19/2016

Schwarzenegger's old behavior is making execs nervous as the network and Mark Burnett relaunch a franchise amid its former host's issues with women. Says Gloria Allred: His past "will always be with him."

On Oct. 10, The Apprentice producer Mark Burnett broke his silence on the "hatred, division and misogyny" associated with Donald Trump's presidential campaign, just days after the leak of the 2005 Access Hollywood tape in which Trump boasted to Billy Bush of groping women. Burnett's decision to denounce his longtime collaborator comes at a tenuous time for the Apprentice franchise, as NBC gears up to relaunch the show with another figure whose treatment of women has come under scrutiny: Arnold Schwarzenegger.

When The New Celebrity Apprentice debuts in January, it will boast a different location (L.A.'s Silicon Beach instead of New York City), fresh advisers (including Warren Buffett, Tyra Banks and Jessica Alba) and, most notably, a new star in the 69-year-old actor and former California governor. But while NBC is touting Schwarzenegger as a departure from Trump, the two men share eyebrow-raising similarities: The former also was accused of sexual assault by multiple women shortly before the gubernatorial election in 2003.

Thirteen years ago, three women specifically alleged that Schwarzenegger had groped them and grabbed their breasts, and a fourth woman alleged that he put his hand up her skirt and grabbed her rear end. The claims are not dissimilar to the accusations recently made against Trump, in addition to his predatory dialogue heard on the Access Hollywood tape, in which he candidly discusses groping and grabbing women by the genitals.

More @ http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-arnold-939574

This season's competitors include boxing champ Laila Ali; actress and host Brooke Burke-Charvet; NFL Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson; singer Boy George; American Ninja Warrior host Matt Iseman; TV personality Carrie Keagan; stylist and fashion designer Carson Kressley; WNBA star Lisa Leslie; comedian Jon Lovitz; Mötley Crüe singer Vince Neil; Jersey Shore star Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi; Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Kyle Richards; former UFC star Chael Sonnen; Dish Nation co-host Porsha Williams; Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams; and singer Carnie Wilson.

OLYMPIAN

One of things I don't like about Arnold is the way he controls the media. Arnold tells people what he wants them to hear and if journalists want copy they have to sign up to Arnolds conditions and report things Arnolds way.

The plain truth of it is Arnold was never that nice a guy, he has a manipulative nasty side that he uses to feed his massive ego. He had plenty of enemies back in his bodybuilding days but it didn't matter as he had his head firmly rooted up Joe Wieder's backside. I wouldn't recommend that anybody go to Arnold for advices.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Beat View Post
    One of things I don't like about Arnold is the way he controls the media. Arnold tells people what he wants them to hear and if journalists want copy they have to sign up to Arnolds conditions and report things Arnolds way.

The plain truth of it is Arnold was never that nice a guy, he has a manipulative nasty side that he uses to feed his massive ego. He had plenty of enemies back in his bodybuilding days but it didn't matter as he had his head firmly rooted up Joe Wieder's backside. I wouldn't recommend that anybody go to Arnold for advices.
    He was loyal to Weider for good reason, but always had his own plan.