Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nsp View Post
    That's true, like the iron and zink content in beef. But I don't know anyone who counts micro's or plan their diet around them where as plenty who count and plan around macros. When bodybuilders eats chicken they do so for the protein rather than the selenium and magnesium. And I would image sufficient micros can be consumed in the other macros such as carbs and fats.
    So your telling me that micros are not important?
    If you don't strive to take care of your vitamins, minerals, and making sure your health is in check then by all means just slug back protein powder all day long, and neglect the importance of whole food.

Do you rather ingest something that had metal toxins removed from it that is processed in order to be made?

Or would you rather have whole food, stuff that actually has nutrients, vitamins, and minerals contained in it?

Whey protein is labeled a "Supplement". Supplements were made to "Supplement" a good diet. A good diet is made up of whole foods that contain mostly unprocessed sources that are higher in micronutrients. You use "Protein powder" as a supplement to your diet to help reach protein needs. Not as a majority of your protein intake in the 24 hour period.

Anyone can hit their "macros". How that person chooses to hit their macros may not be ideal. I can easily eat a meal of chicken and broccoli, go have a meal of whey protein and a donut, then i can drink a glass of milk later and wash it down with some twinkies. Yeah i hit my macros. but from a health standpoint is that ideal? most likely not.
    2013 & 2014 RX Member of the Year
    2014 RX Muscle September Member of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    So your telling me that micros are not important?
    If you don't strive to take care of your vitamins, minerals, and making sure your health is in check then by all means just slug back protein powder all day long, and neglect the importance of whole food.

Do you rather ingest something that had metal toxins removed from it that is processed in order to be made?

Or would you rather have whole food, stuff that actually has nutrients, vitamins, and minerals contained in it?

Whey protein is labeled a "Supplement". Supplements were made to "Supplement" a good diet. A good diet is made up of whole foods that contain mostly unprocessed sources that are higher in micronutrients. You use "Protein powder" as a supplement to your diet to help reach protein needs. Not as a majority of your protein intake in the 24 hour period.

Anyone can hit their "macros". How that person chooses to hit their macros may not be ideal. I can easily eat a meal of chicken and broccoli, go have a meal of whey protein and a donut, then i can drink a glass of milk later and wash it down with some twinkies. Yeah i hit my macros. but from a health standpoint is that ideal? most likely not.
    I agree with most of that, but it's out of context from what I said.

But I don't know anyone who counts micro's or plan their diet around them where as plenty who count and plan around macros.
    So your telling me if I sign up for a coach they do not care about my micros, my health, or the vitamins I consume in a 24 hour period? I am sorry but that is BS. If someone a coach or a trainee does not care about their health, or what they consume they are only fooling themselves if they think they are just going to meet their "Macros".

hence why the word IIFYM gets a horrible wrap. People just eat crap, drink protein shakes, eat nothing but chicken and broccoli and then indulge on a huge plate of garbage. There is a fine line between using a "Supplement" to meet your protein intake and getting the majority of your protein from protein powder.

Would you rather get the majority of your protein from a very heavily processed powder that has metal toxins extracted from it? Or would you rather eat meat, eggs, chicken and other food sources that actually have some micronutrients encompassed in them?

Tell me what is going to be better for you in the long run. Giving your body what is wants? Or just taking something that has next to nothing as far as micronutrients, vitamins, and minerals go and expect your health to be awesome as you continue to age.

You cant expect someone to rely on getting the majority of their food from good carbs and fat, Your going off a limb here. There should be a fine balance between all macronutrients because the focus on any trainee should be good choices of food for the majority of their consumption. Not only is it better for our bodies, its better for digestion, from a health standpoint, and also for long term health.

Just like using a "Supplement" to hit our protein intake, we have to evolve our food choices around the majority of our intake. Then we use the supplement to supplement our dietary intake to help reach those protein goals.

But again to each their own.

I agree with most of that, but it's out of context from what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by beefyfan View Post
    Stop being a pussy. All the shit nowadays tastes pretty good. It isn't like 20 years ago where it was a total crap shoot. I don't hear Vince G. whining about shit like this. Sac up already.
    Yeah I remember trying to drink protein drinks when I started in the late 70s you had to have an outboard motor to get them damn things to mix.

So your telling me if I sign up for a coach they do not care about my micros, my health, or the vitamins I consume in a 24 hour period? I am sorry but that is BS. If someone a coach or a trainee does not care about their health, or what they consume they are only fooling themselves if they think they are just going to meet their "Macros".

hence why the word IIFYM gets a horrible wrap. People just eat crap, drink protein shakes, eat nothing but chicken and broccoli and then indulge on a huge plate of garbage. There is a fine line between using a "Supplement" to meet your protein intake and getting the majority of your protein from protein powder.

Would you rather get the majority of your protein from a very heavily processed powder that has metal toxins extracted from it? Or would you rather eat meat, eggs, chicken and other food sources that actually have some micronutrients encompassed in them?

Tell me what is going to be better for you in the long run. Giving your body what is wants? Or just taking something that has next to nothing as far as micronutrients, vitamins, and minerals go and expect your health to be awesome as you continue to age.

You cant expect someone to rely on getting the majority of their food from good carbs and fat, Your going off a limb here. There should be a fine balance between all macronutrients because the focus on any trainee should be good choices of food for the majority of their consumption. Not only is it better for our bodies, its better for digestion, from a health standpoint, and also for long term health.

Just like using a "Supplement" to hit our protein intake, we have to evolve our food choices around the majority of our intake. Then we use the supplement to supplement our dietary intake to help reach those protein goals.

99.9% of todays "COACHES" are in it to get rich quick......To me if you need a person to show you how to feed yourself healthy meals you deserve to get ass raped....When I was younger I thought it was necessary but as I got older and realized so much more in life you gotta be a total idiot to "NEED" a coach......In my opinion unless you are making money and real money off the sport then you are just lazy to have someone teach you what your mommy and daddy thought you as a baby

I have a guy at my gym HIGHLY Intelligent at his career building programs for Toshiba and I have to dumb shit down for him and explain DIETING is NOT HARD but your Career is and not many can do it.

1) If you look at a fat ugly chick would you fuck her? prob not.....so I ask why do you eat fat ugly foods?

2) If you have a coach.... did they do all your labs prior to starting (Prob not) do they have you use a glucometer when eating certain types of carbs to see how sensitive you are to them? (In my opinion again if your coach WASTES time on your diet seeing after 2 to 4 weeks how you respond over using a simple glucometer the minute you eat a type of carb its just stupid not to)

3) NOBODY and NOBODY knows how a food truely responds with your body better than you and no coach can sit there and gauge foods for you better than you do

People are sheep they cannot realize that they accomplish so many great things like a rewarding career and spend years learning it and doing it all on their own yet when it comes to a DIET or a PREP they turn into cry baby pussies and need their hands held on how to shovel bland eggs chicken and rice into their mouths....

Very Simply put you could if you really truly worked hard and cared learn your own body in as little as 30 days and never need a coach. But that being said seeing as many COACHES that have popped outta the wood work in last 10 years people are just lazy and need all 6 to 8 meals nicely emailed to them each week instead of putting effort into themselves like they do their jobs

Again I agree with that. Your original reply seemed like that of a politician in which you misinterpreted what I said and created a false narrative that I don't think micro's are important and ran with it.

Of course micros are important. I'm not an advocate of IIFYM either as not all macros are created equal. Yes, we're better off getting our carbs from fibrous nutrient dense foods such as sweet potatoes and oats rather than moon pies.

My response regarding the micros of protein sources is that I have never heard of anyone adding their micros up from a chicken breast, however they do add their up macros from it. Example, do you say to yourself "I need to get my selenium, zink, copper, iron and phosphorus magnesium in, better eat a chicken breast." I would imagine most don't actually calculate and count their micros in an attempt to get their daily quota in, but they will calculate count their macros. Do you know anyone that puts an actual number value on their micros and shoot for that target through their protein? I don't, but they do have a number value of macros they shoot for.

My main rebuttal was against the whole "real food" antics. The notion that because whey is processed that it's not real food. With that logic neither is cheese or yogurt. Beacon and ground beef are processed, so are they not real food either? Is it now somehow fake food?

And I get the whole concept of supplements as its a "supplementation" to what you're already consuming. But it doesn't change the fact that whey is dairy, part of the food group. I guess you can say I "supplement" with broccoli to help get my fiber in.

Quote Originally Posted by black-elephant View Post
    In addition to micronutrients, cost is a factor.

Local prices may vary:
    Whey Isolate $10 lb
    Sirloin steak $6 lb
    Hormone free boneless skinless chicken breasts $1.99 lb
    Omega eggs free range chickens $1.5 dozen
    Gram for gram...protein powder is probably the cheapest protein available...Maybe not isolate but a concentrate

Blends will always be supeior in most cases and science backs them a bit more

Abstract

Increasing amino acid availability (via infusion or ingestion) at rest or postexercise enhances amino acid transport into human skeletal muscle. It is unknown whether alterations in amino acid availability, from ingesting different dietary proteins, can enhance amino acid transport rates and amino acid transporter (AAT) mRNA expression. We hypothesized that the prolonged hyperaminoacidemia from ingesting a blend of proteins with different digestion rates postexercise would enhance amino acid transport into muscle and AAT expression compared with the ingestion of a rapidly digested protein. In a double-blind, randomized clinical trial, we studied 16 young adults at rest and after acute resistance exercise coupled with postexercise (1 h) ingestion of either a (soy-dairy) protein blend or whey protein. Phenylalanine net balance and transport rate into skeletal muscle were measured using stable isotopic methods in combination with femoral arteriovenous blood sampling and muscle biopsies obtained at rest and 3 and 5 h postexercise. Phenylalanine transport into muscle and mRNA expression of select AATs [system L amino acid transporter 1/solute-linked carrier (SLC) 7A5, CD98/SLC3A2, system A amino acid transporter 2/SLC38A2, proton-assisted amino acid transporter 1/SLC36A1, cationic amino acid transporter 1/SLC7A1] increased to a similar extent in both groups (P < 0.05). However, the ingestion of the protein blend resulted in a prolonged and positive net phenylalanine balance during postexercise recovery compared with whey protein (P < 0.05). Postexercise myofibrillar protein synthesis increased similarly between groups. We conclude that, while both protein sources enhanced postexercise AAT expression, transport into muscle, and myofibrillar protein synthesis, postexercise ingestion of a protein blend results in a slightly prolonged net amino acid balance across the leg compared with whey protein.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3738242/

"A blended protein supplement containing sufficient EAA content, several digestion rates, and a prolonged aminoacidemia clearly promotes muscle protein synthesis during postexercise recovery. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3529694/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23343671

We concluded that a protein blend of proteins would capitalize on the unique properties of each individual protein and allow for optimal delivery of amino acids to prolong the fractional synthetic rate (FSR) following resistance exercise (RE)

WPI Would be a good fit for one ---> if the person is lactose intolerant
    2) Was on a very resricted caloric diet where extra fats/carbs could be more beneficial towards whole food for satiety (think end of a contest prep)

Last edited by The Solution; 02-22-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    I'm sensing a theme here.
    You gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get something past you.

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Yeah I remember trying to drink protein drinks when I started in the late 70s you had to have an outboard motor to get them damn things to mix.
    And hold your fucking nose to get them down.

If I remember correctly, the first one that I actually didn't mind was Weider's Dynamic Muscle Builder. And we both know that by today's standard it tasted like shit.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

Local prices may vary:
    Whey Isolate $10 lb
    Sirloin steak $6 lb
    Where? Omega Three's are about $4 or more in the Vegas area.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Local prices may vary:
    Whey Isolate $10 lb
    Sirloin steak $6 lb

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    Where? Omega Three's are about $4 or more in the Vegas area.
    Local prices DO vary - A LOT!! Around here sirloin is about $9/lb and omega eggs are $5/dozen :-(
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

I honestly have gotten away from protein powders for the most part. I used to drink them religiously post workout but now I find spiking my insulin with sugar and carbs, then driving home and eating a high protein meal works just as well. For the most part they all taste nasty if all your doing is using a shaker bottle, then the bottle itself gets nasty. In order to make it taste good I would have to pull out the blender and add frozen fruit and some milk and then it would taste like a smoothie. Best protein I ever bought was dymatize banana nut but at close to $40 a container I would rather take that money and buy food.

RX MEMBER

Yeah bodybuilding is not cheap. You go through a whey protein jug in no time.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    And hold your fucking nose to get them down.

If I remember correctly, the first one that I actually didn't mind was Weider's Dynamic Muscle Builder. And we both know that by today's standard it tasted like shit.
    It's a long, long time since then, though, cook. Lots of great tasting protein supplements out there.

How old are you two again? My first protein powder was Bob Hoffman's clumpy mess. Did not mix at all.

hi-proteen-hoffman.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast