Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RX MEMBER

Definitely just read these links. Surprised by such shitty answers besides this one. lol
    It's all about creating a caloric deficit while making it sustainable, and while still eating as much as possible that still allows for fat loss.

Is a 'calorific deficit' the same as 'eating less calories' aka 'eat less shit'? Don't sugar coat it.
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

Quote Originally Posted by OBARmuscle View Post
    Definitely just read these links. Surprised by such shitty answers besides this one. lol
    It's all about creating a caloric deficit while making it sustainable, and while still eating as much as possible that still allows for fat loss.
    Well I saw some good answers.Not all were shitty.Low carb works for most people and is easy to stick with.Cutting out bread and sugar was a good answer too as I see people every day who eat a pretty good diet with the exception of overloading on these two items.As usual Bob did provide an excellent answer also.
    Last edited by cook; 03-17-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by OBARmuscle View Post
    Where are my bifocals? Who wrote this shitty post?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Where are my bifocals? Who wrote this shitty post?
    I offered a lot of good advice in a single word.

Next time I will just say to them to Google it, Bing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I offered a lot of good advice in a single word.

Next time I will just say to them to Google it, Bing it.
    Mac honestly over the last 40 years I have tried probably every diet with the exception of carb cycling.Ive heard it was good just never took the time to study it.Anyway almost all of them worked it's just that after a while some are harder to stick to than others.Low carb is easiest for me because I am never hungry.There is a fatboy inside of me that has to eat when he gets hungry
    Last edited by cook; 03-17-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Eating less calories does not always put someone in a "Caloric Deficit". You have to remember that. Someone could be eating 3000 calories. Tell them to eat less.. and they drop to 2750.. maybe for that person it may get the ball rolling, for some maybe not.

When you take into context the energy balance equation of calories in vs calories out, and then factor in: Genetics, Metabolism, weight, height, NEAT (non exercise physical activity), how many days they train, how much cardio they do. It really alters the big picture and what this person needs to eat, and how they need to eat to lose weight in a slow and steady fashion. There is no clear cut or broad answer to fatloss of weightloss.

Eating less is not always the solution. Same with telling someone "Just do keto". Someonetimes people respond to carbs better then they do higher fats. Telling them to do something their body does not agree with won't always dictate fatloss or weightloss.

In essence the question how to lose weight, has to be applied to the person, what their diet looks like at the moment, how they train and how much cardio they do. and then tackle it from all angles. It may be easy to tell someone eat less, but to them they could remove a potato out of one of their meals and think Hey i am eating less, and still not see the proper progress they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    Is a 'calorific deficit' the same as 'eating less calories' aka 'eat less shit'? Don't sugar coat it.
    Last edited by The Solution; 03-17-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    2013 & 2014 RX Member of the Year
    2014 RX Muscle September Member of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    . It may be easy to tell someone eat less, but to them they could remove a potato out of one of their meals and think Hey i am eating less, and still not see the proper progress they want.
    Then they are not yet starving, at some point.

Simple example : Reduce from 5000 calories a day to 4000 and no weight loss. Duh!

Starving is not an optimal way to lose weight, or a proper way to start a weightloss phase.
    If it was then everyone would have messed up metabolism's & hormones from tanking their calories right out of the get go.

Ever see the biggest loser? How do those people fair on severe weightloss diets? Most of the time after the show ends almost none of them keep that weight off due to unhealthy measures taken to lose weight.

If one truly wants to lose weight in a healthy fashion. Slow and Steady is the proper procedure, unless their drastic measures are very short term.

Then they are not yet starving, at some point.

Simple example : Reduce from 5000 calories a day to 4000 and no weight loss. Duh!
    Last edited by The Solution; 03-17-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Let's be honest here guys. While, as I said in my very first reply, there will be SOME reasons and SOME excuses as to they how and why of losing weight I did say 'eat less shit'. And when I say 'sugar coat' I mean calling what I said was 'eating less' a 'calorific deficit' (less energy in than your body requires). Now if the Solution suggests eating 250kcals might not kick start fat loss then we all know we can try less or try more (400, 500??). But regardless it wont be the same amount of calories that got someone fat in the first place (or fatter than they'd like - whatever).

We all know, cos we've been around the block a few times, there's a difference between eating shit calories (say 3000kcals a day of doughnuts) as opposed to 3000kcals a day of lean meals. We also all know he or she could carry on eating shit but just up their activity levels so as to expend more kcals than they ingest.

I, for one, don't suggest starving any more than The Solution does. Small changes in diet and a gradual increase in energy out put (like fkin cardio FFS) X TIME = fat loss. But, to use a US phrase, what grinds my gears is it's fkin obvious.

The Solution suggests we'd need to look at all those factors he lists. Not really and here's why. If someone came in, aged 45 and an office job with a bit of a belly and said they walked 2 miles day and ate clean but wasn't losing weight you could simply suggest.... walking faster... or a bit further... and see if those simple tiny changes didn't make a small slow and steady difference. You've not touched the diet, you've not looked at any medical issues, you haven't asked for tests or looked at family history. We know age makes a difference but so what? If he was 30 or 65 I'd still want them to walk further than they have been - adjust accordingly.

Or you could leave that and look at the diet. People lie like fuck about what they eat. They pay you for your time and then lie through their teeth. But if you knew our Joe was hitting the snickers bars at the desk or having 5 sugar laden espressos a day... shit... just change that.

So do more, eat less, eat the same but better, don't rush it. Make sure it's not down to some illness, medication or genetics (if you're mum is the fattest in the world I'm gonna say you might be slightly fucked but above all, unless you're a moron you should know this. Be honest and no fkin excuses. Even with the glucose syrup laden ready meals in a supermarket being 'easy' you've no real excuse because they also sell good shit too - like real raw vegetables... look the shiny stuff you have to prepare yourself (shock horror). No excuses... if you've time to ask you've time to think and time to prepare a healthy meal. Now go kick ass and send me cash when you hit your goals.
    Last edited by Mobster; 03-17-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Something else: stop with the word 'diet'. The 'I'm on a diet' thing sounds less of a mouthful than 'I may some proper choices and lifestyle changes' but also suggests something you do for a short while then 'stop dieting'. Hence, as The Solution says, the results we see in The Biggest Loser. They drop 40lbs but they don't keep 40lbs off. And that's because they did crazy shit to lose it but stopped any kind of 'diet and exercise' after. More so in the ones who go back to how they was. There's more value in them seeing a shrink than a dietician.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    Let's be honest here guys. While, as I said in my very first reply, there will be SOME reasons and SOME excuses as to they how and why of losing weight I did say 'eat less shit'. And when I say 'sugar coat' I mean calling what I said was 'eating less' a 'calorific deficit' (less energy in than your body requires). Now if the Solution suggests eating 250kcals might not kick start fat loss then we all know we can try less or try more (400, 500??). But regardless it wont be the same amount of calories that got someone fat in the first place (or fatter than they'd like - whatever).

We all know, cos we've been around the block a few times, there's a difference between eating shit calories (say 3000kcals a day of doughnuts) as opposed to 3000kcals a day of lean meals. We also all know he or she could carry on eating shit but just up their activity levels so as to expend more kcals than they ingest.

I, for one, don't suggest starving any more than The Solution does. Small changes in diet and a gradual increase in energy out put (like fkin cardio FFS) X TIME = fat loss. But, to use a US phrase, what grinds my gears is it's fkin obvious.

The Solution suggests we'd need to look at all those factors he lists. Not really and here's why. If someone came in, aged 45 and an office job with a bit of a belly and said they walked 2 miles day and ate clean but wasn't losing weight you could simply suggest.... walking faster... or a bit further... and see if those simple tiny changes didn't make a small slow and steady difference. You've not touched the diet, you've not looked at any medical issues, you haven't asked for tests or looked at family history. We know age makes a difference but so what? If he was 30 or 65 I'd still want them to walk further than they have been - adjust accordingly.

Or you could leave that and look at the diet. People lie like fuck about what they eat. They pay you for your time and then lie through their teeth. But if you knew our Joe was hitting the snickers bars at the desk or having 5 sugar laden espressos a day... shit... just change that.

So do more, eat less, eat the same but better, don't rush it. Make sure it's not down to some illness, medication or genetics (if you're mum is the fattest in the world I'm gonna say you might be slightly fucked but above all, unless you're a moron you should know this. Be honest and no fkin excuses. Even with the glucose syrup laden ready meals in a supermarket being 'easy' you've no real excuse because they also sell good shit too - like real raw vegetables... look the shiny stuff you have to prepare yourself (shock horror). No excuses... if you've time to ask you've time to think and time to prepare a healthy meal. Now go kick ass and send me cash when you hit your goals.
    I love this post and agree completely.Oh yeah and on the word diet people at work see me eating a salad and often ask if I am on a diet.I say we are all on a diet.Some a shitty diet but a diet none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Starving is not an optimal way to lose weight, or a proper way to start a weightloss phase.
    If it was then everyone would have messed up metabolism's & hormones from tanking their calories right out of the get go.

Ever see the biggest loser? How do those people fair on severe weightloss diets? Most of the time after the show ends almost none of them keep that weight off due to unhealthy measures taken to lose weight.

If one truly wants to lose weight in a healthy fashion. Slow and Steady is the proper procedure, unless their drastic measures are very short term.
    The OP asked for how to get started dieting and not for the optimal way.

Way too many variables to consider but if you're starving, you will lose weight.

So its wise to tell someone who needs to lose weight to starve themselves?
    Anyone in this thread knows that starving yourself leads to severe health and hormone problems over long term periods. If anyone were to do something along those lines it has to be in very short stints or else your metabolism hits the gutter.

So I take it that doesnt matter to you, OP, or anyone else who wants to diet?

Would you suggest to anyone who wants to start dieting to drop their calories to rock bottom and say see you lost weight?

The second they start to ramp calories up or eat normal again they just undid everything they ever tried to accomplish. That does not seem like too much of a diet, or a successful diet.

But to each their own.
    The OP asked for how to get started dieting and not for the optimal way.

Way too many variables to consider but if you're starving, you will lose weight.

Poor people are fat in America. There's no hope for any of us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast