Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    Why is it totally appropriate for someone with gender dysmorphia to take hormones but not someone with muscle dysmorphia? One is cheered and given awards (see Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner) and the other is vilified (see anyone caught using them for any other reason).
    Because we have a tyrannical government in the US.

The government thinks it has the authority to protect you from yourself. according to the government you do not own your own body and you cannot do what you want to it unless it gives you permission. Sadly freedom has been long gone for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by black-elephant View Post
    Should "selfishness" be added to the list of mental disorders. Rhetorical question, what is the difference between passion infused with dedication and obsession?
    I hear you...but there is such a thing as narcissistic personality disorder, hahaha.

Btw I'm really enjoying the input on this thread!
    Last edited by baby muscle; 03-28-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

All people desire to be loved, accepted, valued, and appreciated (LAVA). Gary Chapman wrote a book called "The Five Love Languages" which breaks down the categories people express and receive love. The "languages" include, 1) words of affirmation, 2) acts of service, 3) receiving gifts, 4) quality time, and 5) physical touch. Often one or two of these are dominant in a person which may stem from not having them adequately developed earlier in life.
    Training and diet consulting available. Send me a PM.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Because we have a tyrannical government in the US.

The government thinks it has the authority to protect you from yourself. according to the government you do not own your own body and you cannot do what you want to it unless it gives you permission. Sadly freedom has been long gone for a while now.
    A f'n men.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by baby muscle View Post
    I hear you...but there is such a thing as narcissistic personality disorder, hahaha.

Btw I'm really enjoying the input on this thread!
    Me too! Keep it comin'!

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by black-elephant View Post
    Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental disorder in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for admiration and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of ultraconfidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

All people desire to be loved, accepted, valued, and appreciated (LAVA). Gary Chapman wrote a book called "The Five Love Languages" which breaks down the categories people express and receive love. The "languages" include, 1) words of affirmation, 2) acts of service, 3) receiving gifts, 4) quality time, and 5) physical touch. Often one or two of these are dominant in a person which may stem from not having them adequately developed earlier in life.
    My problem w/ social science on bodybuilding is that it invariably focuses on the personality problems of bodybuilders & reduces everything to use. I once looked "Bodybuilders & bodybuilding" up in the Social Sciences Index & got one entry--a cross-index reference to "Steroid abuse."

Even the book with the best methodology I've seen on men's bodybuilding, Alan M. Klein's Little Big Men, concludes that insecurity & narcissism are at the heart of training & the "big" gyms.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Big-Me.../dp/0791415600

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    My problem w/ social science on bodybuilding is that it invariably focuses on the personality problems of bodybuilders & reduces everything to use. I once looked "Bodybuilders & bodybuilding" up in the Social Sciences Index & got one entry--a cross-index reference to "Steroid abuse."

Even the book with the best methodology I've seen on men's bodybuilding, Alan M. Klein's Little Big Men, concludes that insecurity & narcissism are at the heart of training & the "big" gyms.

And how do they explain the existence of us female bodybuilders? Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post

And then there's all the other sports where bodybuilding and strength training intersect-as if every sport didn't have some extremism and some athletes with personality "flaws".

what kind of mentally disturbed person wants put someone in jail for putting a substance in their own body to build muscle? there must be a name for that kind of mental illness. that's not rational thinking.

RX MEMBER

I'll give you my brief take on the '80s criminalization of use. Use trickled down to the high school level, where kids were injecting veterinarian steroids & dropping down dead. Meanwhile, anabolics went big in gyms. According to the infamous article in the Village Voice, one gym put a poster on the wall saying "UP THE DOSAGE." The mob got involved, because steroids became more profitable than heroin. Mobsters held guns to the gym owner's head & said YOU WILL SELL STEROIDS FOR US OR DIE. Ben Johnson got caught in the '88 Olympics, & although he was Canadian it was a worldwide scandal. Parents of kids who had killed themselves after being quickly removed from steroids (which results in suicidal depression) demanded that laws be passed immediately. Legislators smelled an opportunity to get reelected, so they sponsored legislation to criminalize anabolics. By 1990 the law was passed.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/101st-...ouse-bill/4658

Default Is "Muscle Dysmorphia" Real or Not?

i see that angle of it and how congress will do anything to get re-elected. government makes no sense. like alcohol and how many people do foolish things and die from using it, cigarettes too, But yet no one is lobbying congress to make that illegal. i think it's mainly because a lot of people use it. Because fitness people are a small minority they feel the need to keep steroids illegal. i think it all should be legal. along with freedom comes personal responsibility.

a lot of people don't even know that more people die from government regulated prescription drugs than all the illegal drugs combined every year.

i hope some day the majority of the population will see how ridiculous keeping steroids illegal really is.
    Last edited by Swiper; 03-30-2017 at 12:44 AM.

RX MEMBER

In the anabolic hearings in the late '80s, no one defended their use in Congressional testimony. I found that out by tracking the news on a daily basis in the New York Times, which ran an in-depth investigative report over several days that covered all the issues, some of which I mentioned in my post above. The aggrieved parents of high school athletes who had killed themselves after being pulled off steroids suddenly (a recipe for disaster) literally told legislators they would be personally responsible for their sons' deaths if they didn't act on this issue. But I am convinced it was the photo-op nature of the national publicity this issue stirred up that motivated the legislators the most. They wanted to beat their chests like King Kong & say "we saved your kids so reelect us."

RX MEMBER

Morgan, J. F. (2008). The invisible man: A self-help guide for men with eating disorders, compulsive exercising and bigorexia. London and New York: Routledge.

In the section titled "Do you have muscle dysmorphia?" from Chapter 5: "Muscle dysmorphia (bigorexia)"

Page 41. Box 5.1. MuD-Q: The Muscle Dysmorphia Questionnaire

1. Do you feel yourself to be scrawny when others tell you that you're too muscular? Yes/No

2. Do you feel that you have lost control over your exercise regime? Yes/No

3. Do physical activities to enhance your appearance dominate your life? Yes/No

4. Do you spend more than an hour a day in training to improve your body shape? Yes/No

5. Do you spend more than 30 minutes a day in checking your physical appearance? Yes/No

6. Do you currently take drugs (steroids, diet pills, muscle-building agents) to enhance your physical appearance? Yes/No

7. Do you regularly prioritise your physical regime over your career or studies? Yes/No

8. Do you regularly prioritise your physical regime over your friends, family or relationships? Yes/No

9. Have you continued your physical regime despite being injured or ill? Yes/No

10. Do you avoid situations in which your body will be seen by others? Yes/No

Now, add up your score, giving yourself a 1 for every 'yes' and 'O' for every 'no'. If you scored 5 or more (answered 'yes' to five or more of these questions) then it is highly probable you are suffering from muscle dysmorphia. If you answered 'yes' to three or more of these questions, then it is possible you are suffering from muscle dysmorphia.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am not asking you to fill out this questionnaire. I am asking what you think of it.
    Last edited by hifrommike65; 08-20-2017 at 01:04 PM.

RX MEMBER

Oh brother.

RX MEMBER

Nick uses himself as an example for a bodybuilding version of the five stages of grief. What I disagree with is the idea that considering use of anabolics means you are body dysmorphic.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast