Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Bikini Competition with Scoliosis

    Hello guys, I wanted to ask if somebody has an experience of competing in Bikini Pro with scoliosis?
    I am 30 years old, 5'7" height, and recently I have been trying to get in shape just for better looking and for health. I have been struggling with scoliosis since I was 14 when my curve was over 40 degrees. Right now, I think it is 38. I have been always told that it is a big defect that I have to hide, and I never pursued anything that I wanted such as modeling or anything else. I am feeling that if I get on stage in best shape of my life I could finally believe in myself and know that I can do everything. However, I feel very self-conscious and not sure if there are even any girls who competed with such conditions?

  2. #2
    TEAM ITHXU CHILDOFGOD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MIAMI, FL
    Posts
    4,164
    Rep Power
    2147706

    Default

    u have any pics, and i say go for it
    MY LORD OF LORDS!!!

  3. #3
    OLYMPIAN Sunnyday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Forest Hill, MD
    Posts
    9,622
    Rep Power
    2147888

    Default

    I've had scoliosis since age 12. I didn't start competing in figure until AFTER 3 kids and at age 42. I won my first show, then went on to compete twice at the national level and placed 2nd and 4th. There are plenty of pros out there who have scoliosis and place near the top. It's all about bringing your very best package to the stage: evening out muscle imbalances, posing to highlight your best features and downplay your weaknesses, and also nailing your conditioning.

    In bikini I would imagine you'd have an easier time of downplaying your scoliosis and muscle imbalances through your posing, much more so than in other divisions (long hair can hide a lot when you don't need to sweep it out of the way for your back pose LOL). Definitely hire yourself a reputable coach to help you nail your best possible package. And certainly don't let your scoliosis be the factor that holds you back from competing. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 03-27-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/


    https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

  4. #4
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thank you very much! That sounds very promising, I am thinking more and more about it. ) thank you!

  5. #5
    OLYMPIAN black-elephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    338
    Rep Power
    2147512

    Default

    Get out there and do it. Display the best you possible. Each of us possess "shortcomings" that prevent us from desiring to draw attention to things we do not perceive as desirable. Perhaps you will be an inspiration to others with the same situation. Adapt and overcome! You can do it.
    Training and diet consulting available. Send me a PM.

  6. #6
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thank you!

  7. #7
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    I've had scoliosis since age 12. I didn't start competing in figure until AFTER 3 kids and at age 42. I won my first show, then went on to compete twice at the national level and placed 2nd and 4th. There are plenty of pros out there who have scoliosis and place near the top. It's all about bringing your very best package to the stage: evening out muscle imbalances, posing to highlight your best features and downplay your weaknesses, and also nailing your conditioning.

    In bikini I would imagine you'd have an easier time of downplaying your scoliosis and muscle imbalances through your posing, much more so than in other divisions (long hair can hide a lot when you don't need to sweep it out of the way for your back pose LOL). Definitely hire yourself a reputable coach to help you nail your best possible package. And certainly don't let your scoliosis be the factor that holds you back from competing. Good luck!
    When you say "reputable coach" -does that mean that he has to have experience in training for competition? or it is not necessary?

  8. #8
    TEAM ITHXU CHILDOFGOD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MIAMI, FL
    Posts
    4,164
    Rep Power
    2147706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barsik86 View Post
    When you say "reputable coach" -does that mean that he has to have experience in training for competition? or it is not necessary?
    u do want a coach who has competed on stage. i think it would work out better, because they have been there and know what the judges are lookin' for on stage. it's just me tho.
    MY LORD OF LORDS!!!

  9. #9
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHILDOFGOD View Post
    u do want a coach who has competed on stage. i think it would work out better, because they have been there and know what the judges are lookin' for on stage. it's just me tho.
    hmmm... but you always can just take classes for posing etc., right?

  10. #10
    OLYMPIAN Sunnyday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Forest Hill, MD
    Posts
    9,622
    Rep Power
    2147888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barsik86 View Post
    When you say "reputable coach" -does that mean that he has to have experience in training for competition? or it is not necessary?
    Yes, I believe experience is VITAL! If you decide to hire someone to COACH you, they ought to have experience in training for competition - at the very least at the national level. By "reputable" I mean someone who has experience coaching others at the local AND national level, so that you can see a long track record for success.

    It's true that many competitors just hire a posing coach or take posing classes. Take it from someone who has competed, it's as much a mental game as it is physical. A coach who has competed will know all about that and be able to help you through the whole process. It also costs A LOT of money to compete no matter what level - even local level. Why would you want to waste that money and time on an inexperienced coach just to find out you could have placed better if you had been just a little leaner? Really. If you're going to compete, then bring a COMPETITITVE package to that stage, not just a mediocre look.

    On the other hand, if all you want is to "look" like a competitor, then by all means save your competing money and ask your gym buddy for help with your diet. Take some glamor photos in a blinged out bikini and enjoy the pictures.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/


    https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

  11. #11
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    Yes, I believe experience is VITAL! If you decide to hire someone to COACH you, they ought to have experience in training for competition - at the very least at the national level. By "reputable" I mean someone who has experience coaching others at the local AND national level, so that you can see a long track record for success.

    It's true that many competitors just hire a posing coach or take posing classes. Take it from someone who has competed, it's as much a mental game as it is physical. A coach who has competed will know all about that and be able to help you through the whole process. It also costs A LOT of money to compete no matter what level - even local level. Why would you want to waste that money and time on an inexperienced coach just to find out you could have placed better if you had been just a little leaner? Really. If you're going to compete, then bring a COMPETITITVE package to that stage, not just a mediocre look.

    On the other hand, if all you want is to "look" like a competitor, then by all means save your competing money and ask your gym buddy for help with your diet. Take some glamor photos in a blinged out bikini and enjoy the pictures.
    Thank you very much, I will definitely consider all my options. To be honest, I don't even think about winning, the main point is to get in my best shape and do it. Like I said, I was always afraid of showing myself in stuff like that because of my spine. On the other hand, to win would be awesome! I 've also heard that if you don't have breast implants, then you have lower chance to win because when you have bigger and beautiful breasts they give better proportions. Is this true?

  12. #12
    OLYMPIAN Sunnyday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Forest Hill, MD
    Posts
    9,622
    Rep Power
    2147888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barsik86 View Post
    Thank you very much, I will definitely consider all my options. To be honest, I don't even think about winning, the main point is to get in my best shape and do it. Like I said, I was always afraid of showing myself in stuff like that because of my spine. On the other hand, to win would be awesome! I've also heard that if you don't have breast implants, then you have lower chance to win because when you have bigger and beautiful breasts they give better proportions. Is this true?
    In the bikini division, that's sad but very true. Here's a thought: have you ever seen a bikini pro without implants? --I haven't. In fact, I've never seen a bikini competitor without implants place first in a local show. Not that it can't be done, it just seems that bikini competitors without implants get overlooked.
    On the other hand, I've seen many figure competitors place very well without implants. But it still happens in all divisions to tell you the truth and it has even happened at shows I competed at.

    But don't let the lack of implants prevent you from competing. For all you know, the judges at your show might prefer the less endowed look or maybe no one else in your class has implants.

    Bottom line: if you're using the show to challenge yourself to get in the best shape of your life, then pick a show, set a budget, and go for it!
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/


    https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

  13. #13
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I am a pro with scoliosis. One reason I chose bikini instead of figure when I started was because I knew I would be judged less on back symmetry. Your hair (or extensions) can cover most of your back anyway. I attached a back pose pic. You might have to look closely to even see. 2384587.jpg

  14. #14
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    48,865
    Rep Power
    2149214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yizzie68 View Post
    I am a pro with scoliosis. One reason I chose bikini instead of figure when I started was because I knew I would be judged less on back symmetry. Your hair (or extensions) can cover most of your back anyway. I attached a back pose pic. You might have to look closely to even see. 2384587.jpg
    Thank you for posting.
    Discount code Curt15 for 15% off @ IronMagLabs.com!

    MuscleGelz.com

    Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Join Rx Muscle on Facebook!

    Contact [email protected] to be interviewed or to advertise!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •