Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

good job on the vids

Default Teaching the Power Clean

Here is a video which shows the correct form for the Power Clean. Notice the arched back, the shoulders over the bar, the wrist curling inward during the second pull, the explosive jump as she shrugs like hell.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s"]YouTube - Power Clean[/ame]

The power clean is best taught from the top down. This means that the mechanics of the catching, or “racking” the bar on the shoulders is taught first, and the emphasis in the trainee’s mind is on the rack position from the beginning. It is important for him to learn that in the power clean speed becomes important at the top of the pull, not off the floor. The first part of the pull, from the floor to the mid thighs, serves to get the bar in the correct position for the explosive movement that racks the bar, and it is done correctly, not quickly. From the mid thigh on the up the movement must get faster, but it cant be done correctly if it’s not started from the right place. By teaching the top of the power clean first, and only then worrying about getting it the floor, the coach assigns the correct priority to the most important part of the pull, as will th athlete. After all, the first part of the power clean is essentially a deadlift, which we already know how to do. When the top of the pull has been learned, we will slide down a little at a time into a deadlift, making the transition from half a movement to the whole thing.

First, the position at the top, with the back in the hands at arms length, with straight elbows, straight knees, and chest up is referred to as the HANG POSITION. A power clean done from this point is referred to as a hang power clean. This position is assumed by taking the EMPTY back off the floor with the correct grip (hook grip) and deadlifting it into position.

The empty bar with be correct for the vast majority. There is no point in weighting the bar at first, as we are learning the movement only. The empty bar is enough resistance to provide some ballast for elbows to rotate around. A broomstick is too light to have sufficient inertia to stay in place during the turn, and even light weights on the bar at this point with interfere with focus on what the bar should be doing.

Foot position will be about the same for the deadlift, 12-15” apart, with toes and pointed very slightly out, like the stance for a flat footed vertical jump. This is the stance that allows most people to apply maximum power to the ground.

From the hang position, have the trainee unlock his knees, shove his hips back, and slide the bar down the middle of his thigh. This movement should be done with the weight on the heels, and with the shoulders slightly in front of the bar. The chest should stay up and the back should stay locked into position. The bar slides down the thigh as the knees unlock, and butt goes back, and the shoulders should go forward.

Then have him return to the hang position. During the entire movement, the bar must stay on the thigh, touching the actual surface of the leg as it moves down and up. Have him do this short movement until he is familiar with using the hips to move the bar. After he does this short movement a few times, have him lower the bar on down past his knees, and then have hi bend his knees to finish the trip to the mid-shin. It should be noted here that from the point at which the knees unlock then do not move forward as the bar is lowered to the knee, and the knees lower to the floor.

The next step is crucial part of the lift: getting the bar on the shoulders. First, the trainee must put the bar in the right place, on top of the delts with elbows up, and than secondly he must learn how to get it there correctly. From the Hang Position, with correct width grip, have him get the bar up onto his shoulders, any way he wants to right now. It should sit right on top on the front delts, well off the sternum and collarbones. The key to this position is the elbows; they must be up very high, pointed straight forward with the humerous nearly parallel to the floor as possible. Some trainees will have trouble getting in this position due to flexibility problems. A grip width adjustment sometimes fixes this issue. Widen the grip a little as a time till the position is better. If the elbows are up high enough, the bar will clear the bony parts and sit comfortably on the belly of the delts. This position is pain free. It is imperative that he understands that THIS is where the bar goes and NOT anywhere else.

It may take some workouts to stretch his wrists so that this position is tolerable. Wrist discomfort is the most common complaint among lifters.

More on Power Cleans later on……

Well hells bells! You took that ball and ran with it!
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by toddbz View Post
    Well hells bells! You took that ball and ran with it!
    Thank you so much!
    You're very welcome bud. I'll add more to the written explanation to hopefully give you a full understanding.

The part I haven't got fully worked out is the jumping bit.
    ... and yes my wrists hate the racked position. I keep stretching but it's still painful.

Quote Originally Posted by tiramisu View Post
    The part I haven't got fully worked out is the jumping bit.
    ... and yes my wrists hate the racked position. I keep stretching but it's still painful.
    The jumping part you're working on is best explained this way. When you pull during your second pull, you curl your wrists inward, flexing your lats the whole time keeping the bar close to your body. You shrug as high, fast, and hard as you possibly can to the point you try to touch your ears. While shrugging, come on your toes with a jump.

A great way to practice this part of the clean is to do Clean Pulls from the Hang. That exercise works just that portion of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    You're very welcome bud. I'll add more to the written explanation to hopefully give you a full understanding.
    Very cool!

The jumping part you're working on is best explained this way. When you pull during your second pull, you curl your wrists inward, flexing your lats the whole time keeping the bar close to your body. You shrug as high, fast, and hard as you possibly can to the point you try to touch your ears. While shrugging, come on your toes with a jump.

A great way to practice this part of the clean is to do Clean Pulls from the Hang. That exercise works just that portion of the movement.
    Did those last night and was actually getting my feet off the ground a touch. Bar felt weightless for a good portion of the 2nd lift.
    Yeah and instead of bending my arms during the shrug. I shrugged up the wieght then just pushed my elbows inward and up. Is that right?

......Did those last night and was actually getting my feet off the ground a touch. Bar felt weightless for a good portion of the 2nd lift. Yeah and instead of bending my arms during the shrug. I shrugged up the wieght then just pushed my elbows inward and up. Is that right?
    You never bend the elbow during the second pull. They'll bend when they need to. Just think fast elbows and high/hard shrug.

Here is a youtube vid to illustrate what I'm talking about:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4tDibZRCn0"]YouTube - Hang Clean Pull Jump[/ame]

You never bend the elbow during the second pull. They'll bend when they need to. Just think fast elbows and high/hard shrug.

Here is a youtube vid to illustrate what I'm talking about:
    Ahh cool. Yeah i think I'm putting way to much emphasis on what my elbows are going to do rather than just let them do their own thing as the weight comes up.

Ahh cool. Yeah i think I'm putting way to much emphasis on what my elbows are going to do rather than just let them do their own thing as the weight comes up.
    Yes they will bend when the time comes, as john coffee tells me all the time. You should focus on things like shrugging like hell and staying over the bar. The rest will fall into place. Also, you can work on the clean for years to perfect the form.

Also, when you perform the clean think jump your feet out. That will help you when the weight becomes heavier since so many people want to "wuff" the weight up which is wrong.

Yes they will bend when the time comes, as john coffee tells me all the time. You should focus on things like shrugging like hell and staying over the bar. The rest will fall into place. Also, you can work on the clean for years to perfect the form.

Also, when you perform the clean think jump your feet out. That will help you when the weight becomes heavier since so many people want to "wuff" the weight up which is wrong.
    Got it. Cool thanks!

I'll have to give that a try. I ALWAYS pull too early with my arms. Even when I tell myself not to, it's really annoying. Getting over that mental barrier is really tough for me...

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalTest1241 View Post
    I'll have to give that a try. I ALWAYS pull too early with my arms. Even when I tell myself not to, it's really annoying. Getting over that mental barrier is really tough for me...
    I suggest you begin by working the clean pulls from the hang. It will reinforce good habits and what you need to do. Also, when teaching the clean you should always do it from the top down.

So, time to get started and we'll work on your technique.

Started doing power cleans last week. On 5/3/1 and I work them in before squats. Getting better. I'll make a video and post it so I can get critiques.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast