RX MEMBER

Question Bodybuilding: Dying Sport?

https://www.mensxp.com/health/body-b...ing-sport.html

Do you agree w/ anything this individual says?

RX MEMBER

I will chime in right away. I do not agree w/ anything this guy says. He reminds me of Dr. Harrison Pope, who declared that anyone even considering taking steroids is probably mentally ill (w/ a ridiculous condition he called "the Adonix complex"). It also reminds me of the widely circulated idea in the 1960s that the novel was dead as an art form. Many thousands of novels have been published since then. What I think this guy misses the most is the diverse direction that bodybuilding competition has gone in. Just to limit to the men he seems most concerned about, if you look at NPC/IFBB categories, physique & classic physique have scaled the look down to something even this guy would presumably approve of, although he doesn't even acknowledge these categories exist. If you include the other major federations, such as NABBA, it seems to me more bodybuilding competition exists than ever before. Yes, we have not had as much media acceptance with Arnold, Frank Zane, Lou Ferrigno, Franco Columbu & the rest of that crowd, but it was a particular time & place. More people are working in the industry than ever before, & that doesn't appear to be changing any time soon. So I chalk this up to yet another example of sour grapes.

OLYMPIAN

Is it more like bodybuilders are dying.

RxTV Station Manager

Didn't click on the link, but, to answer the question; no, bodybuilding is not dying - IMO it's just become very niche - as a "competitive" endeavor.

Bodybuilding is something that - more or less - anyone who goes to a gym does, and, given how social media has placed a greater urgency on looking good and showing people that you're "on your grind" - it will always maintain a certain baseline in society.

Take me for an example, yes, I've been in this industry since 2014, but, aside from literally 2 of my friends - not anyone in my circles (who are mostly very much into sports) have a clue who Phil Heath is. Kai Greene? Some, yeah, but on the whole - it's pretty indicative of how 'niche' this 'sport' is.

You still get zillions of competitors aspiring for their pro card, but, like most sporting events - attendance at amateur and pro bodybuilding events is invariably going to be "not what it once was" because everything is available online. I love football, but, why am I dealing with traffic, the cold weather, and sitting in the upper deck when I have more or less every game available on my mobile device?

All sports go through cycles of increasing and decreasing popularity both in participation and viewers. The "big three" sports of baseball, basketball, and football have all gone through it and adaptations needed to be made.
    Training and diet consulting available. Send me a PM.

"You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti RIP DMX

I love the sport w all my heart. But i see more and more ppl i looked up to as a kid dying and it hits close to home

"You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti RIP DMX

More money on supplements than ever before (here in the UK it's doubled in the last 10 or so years from 200m to 400m+ on actual sports supplements). More people training than ever before... yeah dying
    Last edited by Mobster; 12-01-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

OLYMPIAN

In terms of a "sport" I think it's seen better days. Now as seen as a "lifestyle " I'd say it's flourishing. If you go to any local NPC show very rarely do you see quality bodybuilders. What you do see are downsized versions called or physique competitors and bikini models being the attraction. As a business model however it's hard to argue it's dead.

peronsally yes, it's dying....I used to care about every contest and look at the pictures to see if I agreed with the judges, would watch the Olympia

now, I could care less, I didn't follow anything, didn't watch the O

as far as "bodybuilding" yeah ppl are still going to the gym, taking supplements and what not, while technically they are bodybuilding, the sport itself is not something I spend much energy following any more

OLYMPIAN

The pro competitors mainly look like shit to most peoples eyes.The heallty lifestyle that attracted me to bodybuilding is dead. Now it 10+ grams of gear a week, its Russian roulette.

Bodybuilding was never a sport but it was a nobel activity. Now it a few people making money off the backs of competitors slowly killing themselves. For instance I am pretty disgusted with how the money men in bodybuilding are playing down Dallas' death by PED's.

There are very few people working in the bodybuilding industry who do not have blood on their hands.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    https://www.mensxp.com/health/body-b...ing-sport.html

Do you agree w/ anything this individual says?
    Probably not. Going to read the article tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SidFar View Post
    Didn't click on the link, but, to answer the question; no, bodybuilding is not dying (snip)
    Now you don't have to:

Whether You Realize It Or Not, Bodybuilding Is A Dying Sport

By Pratik Thakkar
    November 22, 2017

Bodybuilding as a sport is dying. This is the most modestly I could have put this into a sentence. Professional bodybuilding, immensely popularized by Arnold Schwarzenegger was as its peak during the 70s and the 80s. The men looked perfectly sculpted and were a treat to look at. It was less about the drugs and more about the training and eating routines. Fast forward to 2017, the sport has mutated into something that's hard to put in words.

While Arnold's love for the sport single handedly brought it out of the dungeons, his direct criticism of the sport in 2015 spilt the beans. Bodybuilders today look horrendous, not pleasing. Arnold said it out loud. Here, take a look.

Fair enough, isn't it?

A Sport That Promoted Aesthetic And Beautiful Bodies Along With Athleticism Has Now Become A Showboat For Who Has The Biggest Muscles.

In the golden era which was marked by the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Franco Columbo, Dave Draper, and Larry Scott; it was about looking great physically, having a flat stomach, a v-taper and a physique which would be desirable. These days, if you look at the pro bodybuilders, they have muscles popping from all areas and making them square blocks of mass. No aesthetics, protruding bellies, synthol abuse and looks of the Michelin man.

What Went Wrong Here?

1. Immediate stardom

The sport of bodybuilding was relatively unknown until the 70s. The golden era made it mainstream. Golden era bodybuilders started gracing magazine covers, doing TV appearances, getting movie roles, and getting invited to big events as chief guests. The sport's popularity grew almost instantly and suddenly gyms started popping out everywhere and everyone wanted to look like them. People were ready to do anything and everything to look like them. It was the 'in' thing back in the day.

2. Anabolics On A Kill Spree

Old school bodybuilders were open about the usage of anabolics to look that way and admitted to it. This opened the floodgates for the use by not only competitive bodybuilders but also by average gym goers who wanted to get big and shredded. While drugs were an integral part of sports like Pro wrestling, strongman competitions, American football and even in track and field way before bodybuilding but bodybuilding made drug use look cool. People ignored the hard work and discipline put in by the bodybuilders and started focusing on their drug routines.

3. Big Dead Bodybuilders

The misuse of AAS in bodybuilding is far more than that in any other sport. It's not only at the pro level either. Every shady trainer at the desi gyms have the magic formula to make you look like a bodybuilder. It has become more of a thing now that is easily accessible and projected as something everyone does. While bodybuilders are getting bigger than ever, there are also more deaths in the sport. Two recent deaths were that of Dallas Mc Carver and Rich Piana. While their deaths were not attributed to steroid abuse but deep down inside everybody knew the truth.

4. Go Big Or Go Home

Bodybuilding today is more about size and less about aesthetics. The judging standards could also be put to blame for this mishap. Bodybuilding has become a sport where the biggest monster takes the trophy. People are doing anything and everything to get big. Not just anabolics, the usage of drugs like insulin and synthol which are artificial size enhancers are common as well.

4. Sponsored Athletes

Earlier in the day, the likes of Arnold and Franco used to do bodybuilding for the love of the sport. They did it as they enjoyed it. Fast forward to now, you have fitness models and bodybuilders popping up every day. Every competition you attend, you will see hundreds of new athletes every year. All for the love of sport? Heck no. The main aim of these 'athletes' is to bag a few sponsors and get some fame. This has led to massive competition and in an unhealthy way.

The Sad Reality

There is no regard left for the well-being and health of a person but it is all about treating the athletes as disposable commodities. The athletes too have climbed aboard and are ready to abuse their bodies for these miniscule perks. While bodybuilding as a lifestyle can help you live longer and healthier, bodybuilding as a sport will move you closer to your grave and put you under immense mental pressure.