Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    ARNOLD LIKE

From what I saw, in the shows right after working with Dave, Todd came in looking much worse. By the 09 Nationals he seems to be getting a much better handle on his body is continually improving. Todd is a smart and analytical guy and he's going to figure out what works best for him, but that isnt the case with most of these guys.

BSA looked better under Dave everytime, as did Toney Freeman. Toney just comes in out of shape now at everyshow. He is never going to realize that he is always going to look big and losing the 5-10 lbs of fat and water he needs to drop only enhances is overall shape and most of all enhances his paycheck. Hell, I cant figure why even needs Dave to tell him that.

In the case of Jeff Long, he definiltly his best look at the Nationals under George. But prior to that, he took a sharp downswing after leaving Dave.

There's no right answer here except to say that if you decide that working with Dave doesnt work for you, you still need to come in shape. No matter what new approach you take, why would it involve soft glutes? Dave's diet definitly doesnt work for everyone, but the poor appearances after working with Dave (that prompted this thread) are more the fault of the athlete rather then a compliment to Dave.

All of this got me thinking....looking at how Trey Brewer came in the past few shows and given his ability to get huge and his dense muscle base, he might be a great candidate for the keto diet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dros View Post
    From what I saw, in the shows right after working with Dave, Todd came in looking much worse. By the 09 Nationals he seems to be getting a much better handle on his body is continually improving. Todd is a smart and analytical guy and he's going to figure out what works best for him, but that isnt the case with most of these guys.

BSA looked better under Dave everytime, as did Toney Freeman. Toney just comes in out of shape now at everyshow. He is never going to realize that he is always going to look big and losing the 5-10 lbs of fat and water he needs to drop only enhances is overall shape and most of all enhances his paycheck. Hell, I cant figure why even needs Dave to tell him that.

In the case of Jeff Long, he definiltly his best look at the Nationals under George. But prior to that, he took a sharp downswing after leaving Dave.

There's no right answer here except to say that if you decide that working with Dave doesnt work for you, you still need to come in shape. No matter what new approach you take, why would it involve soft glutes? Dave's diet definitly doesnt work for everyone, but the poor appearances after working with Dave (that prompted this thread) are more the fault of the athlete rather then a compliment to Dave.

All of this got me thinking....looking at how Trey Brewer came in the past few shows and given his ability to get huge and his dense muscle base, he might be a great candidate for the keto diet.....
    Thanks Sean! I agree with you. That's part of the reason I like doing my own diet. If things don't go well I have nobody to blame but myself. (not that I would actually blame Dave if I didn't place well when using his diet) If I know I have someone that I can pass the blame to in my head when things don't go well, subconsciously I may use that as an excuse to give up on that last rep or that last set when I get to the final weeks before a show and I am exhausted. I think I work harder when I am doing it on my own.

Todd,

You'll be a pro very soon. Just keep doin YOUR thing!

RX MEMBER

Trey Brewer on Dave's diet is a very intriguing thought..

PENCILNECK

hey todd,
    do you mind sharing what your diet, cardio, and routine was like for 07'.

Quote Originally Posted by buster12 View Post
    yes. the list seems to go on of people doing worse after leaving dave. Notably his ex-athletes show up in far worse condition than when they worked with him.
    Yeah, but they're not dead!! LOL....
    "...The only thing i love more than athletes getting paid is the fact that it's not us who's paying them..."
    "Hardcore is Dirty"

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Jewell View Post
    I would tend to agree with you about Toney. It seems to be working pretty well for him. Dave did a great job with Nate Detracy and many others. As I said earlier, I think the keto approach probably works well for people who are insulin sensitive (IS) and not so well for those that are more insulin resistant(IR). The IS people seem to put on fat much easier but they also have an easier time staying full. The IR people like me stay lean really easily but have a very difficult time getting full. When using the keto approach, IR people flatten out really badly and tend to lose muscle easier. The IS people have more difficulty losing fat when the include moderate carbs in their diet so the Keto approach works well for them. They don't seem to lose as much muscle either. These are just my observations. I may be way off so don't get too upset with me if you don't agree. Has anyone else noticed this same thing?
    I'd agree with that. I'm by no means in competitive shape yet, but when I first started doing a diet, I did carbs, and it just did not work for me. I'm not one of these people who drops weight easily, which works to my advantage, because I tend not to drop muscle either. However, since starting keto, I just weighed myself today and 16st 1lb (220ish), and before I was 17st 7lb (240ish). I can have a little bit of carbs, and I can feel my body fill up, but I bloat and feel awful, where somebody like yourself can eat 600g's and think nothing of it. Good luck to ya man, at least you aren't one of these "it doesn't work" types.

I would tend to agree with you about Toney. It seems to be working pretty well for him. Dave did a great job with Nate Detracy and many others. As I said earlier, I think the keto approach probably works well for people who are insulin sensitive (IS) and not so well for those that are more insulin resistant(IR). The IS people seem to put on fat much easier but they also have an easier time staying full. The IR people like me stay lean really easily but have a very difficult time getting full. When using the keto approach, IR people flatten out really badly and tend to lose muscle easier. The IS people have more difficulty losing fat when the include moderate carbs in their diet so the Keto approach works well for them. They don't seem to lose as much muscle either. These are just my observations. I may be way off so don't get too upset with me if you don't agree. Has anyone else noticed this same thing?
    I worked with Dave last year for the first time. I'm extremely Insulin Senstive. The Keto diet really leaned me out. But when you are using a new coach for a show there is a learning curve. Dave I and figured out that with my body we couldn't carb up with as many grams of carbs as he origianally thought. I saw him on Thursday before Juniors and i was already filling out too fast and he ended up scaling me back on the carbs, and I still ended up smoother than we wanted on stage.

I do agree that everyone reacts different to every diet and you just need to find what works best for you. Alot of people that never step on stage will never understand the changes that your body goes through in the last 72 hours or even the last week. Every little thing can swing your physique good or bad. It takes many shows to figure out how to nail the conditioning. If you look at me from Juniors of '09 and Juniors of '07 I was leaner in 09 from the keto diet and with Dave's help. But it won't look like it cuz of how spilled I was. My pictures from Thursday morning look nothing like the ones from Sat morning. But after trying a few different approaches I think the Keto is best FOR ME and will continue to use it and Dave for the future. But I have some friends that are competing that could eat twinkes til 2 weeks out and still be shredded (and I hate them for it...LOL)

Just try a few things until it works for you. LIke someone said about. There is no one size fits all with diet. Carbs v. Keto will rage on for years.....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234