Default Struggles to Success: Lessons in Growth

Hello all.

I am starting a new thread here in the MTJ's as my own training goals and plans for the rest of this year have been changed drastically in the past week. I was given word this past Monday evening that an MRI I had done the Tuesday before that, does in fact show that I have a meniscus tear that will require arthoscopic repair. That said, now until op day and the 6-7 weeks recovery that follows, will not contain any mud runs, lowerbody lifting or meets/comps for the rest of this year for sure.

The skinny of it is pretty anti-climactic as well. I was on vacation for a week post 2 week overeaching cycle. No training at all for 6 days while on vaca. I come home the last day, get off the plane and my right knee is clicking noticeably with each step. No biggy, no pain, no worry. 2 hours later after unpacking and getting settled at home, my knee gets tight and stiff. Overnight its gets more so yet until I struggle to walk to the bathroom. It'll pass right? Nope! All next day I have to act like frankenstein my knee is so tight and stiff now. No pain though so I'm perplexed. Will this pass, will it get worse, why did it happen at all?

I call sports med doc Monday AM to get checked out, next day he has me in on the table for exam. Physical exam leads him to suspect a medial meniscus tear. Doc orders MRI to confirm it. 3 days later I am getting the MRI and 3 days after that I am on the phone with the doc getting an ear full of what h found, the answer was not what I expected to hear nor wanted to.

medial meniscus posterior horn longitudinal tear
    mild mcl degeneration
    mild medial cartilage degeneration
    pes anserinus bursitis

treatment= arthroscopic repair.

So now I sit 3 days prior to my meeting with the surgeon to discuss the operation, post rehab plan, what caused this, etc....My head has been all over the past week as well as my emotions, predictions, projections.....why, how, when etc? I have never been this strong or lean at this bodyweight in my life. I was just starting to have talks with my coach Peter about doing another powerifting meet or another physique show once my last mud run race was over in September when this out of the blue turn of events blasted me in the face.

I have never had a major injury in my life after being a college athlete, lifting for 8 years competitively, doing over 15 mud runs since 2010. Nothing that took me out for a week or more anyway. Never had surgery either. This really is new ground for me.

I have decided to take the setback and run with it for what it is, cant do a damn thing about what has happened. It sucks yes but how I respond and react and move on will say allot about be as an athlete and as a person. I am not the first or last person to have a knee injury that sets them back, derails them, stalls their goals. I want to grow from this and want others to do the same. I am thus going to showcase this to the world to follow.

I will be doing weekly FB and IG live chats every weekend as well as a YouTube channel to inform people how things are going on all levels. 12-15 minute segments I can update people with on operation, post op, rehab, all other training progressions, lifestyle changes, diet changes. My intent is to keep all training the same as is except lower body of course.

Time to use my own training, education, background and experiences as a strength coach, CES, CISSN and SME in exercise science to fortify my own treatment plan with my assigned PT to show how effective a blended approach of rehab can be to getting back to top shape can be. My goal is to be back in the gym starting normal training (at lighter loads) with full ROM 5 weeks post operation or less. I will show visual and objective changes in my legs to allow all to see what degree of atrophy/muscle loss I sustain and how quick I can rebound any such losses as well.

Join the ride folks and be ready for the video series on my socials and on my new youtube channel as well. Looking to all of you here for support on this journey.

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.hockett.3
    @musclesnmorsels for IG page
    https://www.youtube.com/user/CVN76Fitboss
    Last edited by Joshua H; 08-17-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    UNBA Mens Physique, USAPL 93kg,
    Blueprint for Athletes Rep, Dymatize Rep,
    Twitter & Instagram: musclesNmorsels,

Every Tuesday night starting this week, join in and interact. The journey begins!

video feed link here

Live.jpg

picture updates from this weekend.

194.4lbs
    macros 4100 a day wth protein fixed at 230g/day, carbs and fats variable by day to fit kcals.
    0 cardio per week
    5 days lifting using concurrent max effort and dynamic effort workouts with RPE system in place for max effort days. volume and RPE progress every week.

back.jpg
    front 184.4.jpg
    left.jpg
    right.jpg

Things going quite well this past week folks. Even with the limited lower body work via squats and lunges, leg press, running etc....I am trucking along very well. I am able to keep all my workouts as planned with minimal modifications. I cannot go anything past 90 knee bend for depth in squats or leg presses for now. I also dropped the loads to about 75% of what they were before. I also avoid going to failure on lower body work for now. I can cycle just fine for cardio so doing that on off days still.

Pete and I have seen no need to drop or adjust macros just yet as my weight is holding tight at about 195lbs still. That will likely change come Sept 10 and the few weeks to follow when 0 cardio and no lower body training takes place as my DEE and NEAT will be pretty low during those weeks.

I was on travel the past 3 days in Boston for a quick in and out trip and still got my lifts in fine, ate out a bit but hit my macros pretty well spot on yet. Weight this AM was 194.3lbs.

I am going to be in Des Moines this coming week all week long for a farm expo show that drawns 1000's from the ag/farming industry. As some of you may know by now, I no longer work for Monsanto Co. I now work for the company that aquired them last week Monday. That company being Bayer. Our St. Louis location is now the global HQ for Bayer Crop Sciences. My role, my department and my team (corporate engagement) is exactly the same as it was before albiet a new name, logo, brand and company image.

I want to remind folks to tune in Tuesday evening at 9pm central time for my next livestream update of the 'struggles to success: lessons in growth' series I am doing each week. Live on IG, FB and YT channels, pick one and come with questions!

Happy Bday!
    2013 & 2014 RX Member of the Year
    2014 RX Muscle September Member of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Happy Bday!
    Thanks bud! Appreciate it! Wish knee surgery was not just 5 days after my bday! Tis is life.

Crushed some homemade carrot cake on bday however, it was epic!!

Hey gang!

Been busy with things via the knee operation I had last Monday and the rehab going on since, work project launch, taking in some new clients and life itself!

I ask that you all take a glance over at the youtube series I am still doing to get best updates ont things as that is where I am putting most my efforts with this. I stopped doing livecast this week and went to using my digital camera and filming them before posting them so that I have better A/V quality and more editing leverage which makes for overall better videos for all of you.

The skinny is this:

As of Monday this past week I am making these changes via talks with coach Pete.

4 day split from 5 days with 2x chest/back days and 2x shoulders arms days. Also doing unilateral leg work 2x a week on any of the 4 days I do the other workouts. At this time 0 cardio is in my plan for obvious reasons.

Dropps 500kcals from diet via a 100g carb drop and 10g fat drop since my workouts and NEAT are reduced. Now eating ~3500kcals a day.

I droped 4.5lbs since Monday morning. Was 195 and now 190.5 this am. Not going to panic at all yet as the intiial drop is likely just water weight from reduced carbs.

Started taking 2 new joint supplements last week Monday. 1st Phorm Joint Mobility and NutraBio Extreme Joint Care. Never used either before so will see how these help out in the coming weeks. I figure thet cannot hurt anything so any benefit that does come is a welcome one.

Be sure to check out my food picture post in my other thread as well and the link to the youtube video series is also found here.

This Saturday if anyone is interested in joining the hang out. Message me asap to get invite sent out.

https://www.facebook.com/events/690445664663914/

Hey gang,

15 days post operation today and now 3 days off the crutch! Hell yes! So far so good. I can walk almost 100% normal minus stairs. Up is fine, down, not so much. Still doing the 1 step baby step thing to get down without pain and tightness. Icing once a day yet in the evening, doing my PT stuff and even today did calf work and leg curls with moderate loads with rehab leg so that was good. Bodyweight half squats also back in the game now too.

Last video on youtube series is also posted as of Monday so check that out please. Leave comments as well!

I can also do 8 minutes light resistance airdyne bike as of today so even some cardio may be back in the mix pretty darn soon if things keep up as they are.

That's all for now gang! Peace!