Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RX MEMBER

Default Is bench pressing 4 plates (405lbs) possible without performance enhancing drugs?

I have seen many videos of people bench pressing 4 plates, most of them look like they are on steroids (except one guy who looked pretty skinny and did a few reps of it)
    Do you think its possible to bench 4 plates naturally?
    I think its possible only with elite genetics and at least 5-10 years of hard work

Yes, it’s totally possible without PEDs or being a genetic freak. I train with several natural athletes who rep 405 on regular training days. Two of them can close grip 405 for sets of 8.

I also personally know plenty of women benching 1.5-2x bw. I’ve never touched a PED and at age 51, 5’2” and 110 lbs. my competition max is 149, my gym max is 160 under commands. I’ve put up 176 with a pause in a SlingShot. I’m obviously extremely lean, I have VERY long arms, and a busted hip and low back, so I’m far from a genetic freak. Oh, and I’ve only been barbell benching for 3 years.

That said, you probably won’t get there benching just once a week. Everyone I personally know with a big fat bench, male or female, benches 2-3x per week. Men usually 2x, women usually 3x because we can recover faster from the extra volume. The other thing I’ll say is everyone with a big fat bench, especially those 405-ers, is doing TONS of accessory work for lats and shoulders.
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 04-03-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

RX MEMBER

Thanks for the great post! This sure motivated me a lot more! Thats awesome that you can bench over your bodyweight!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    Yes, it’s totally possible without PEDs or being a genetic freak. I train with several natural athletes who rep 405 on regular training days. Two of them can close grip 405 for sets of 8.

I also personally know plenty of women benching 1.5-2x bw. I’ve never touched a PED and at age 51, 5’2” and 110 lbs. my competition max is 149, my gym max is 160 under commands. I’ve put up 176 with a pause in a SlingShot. I’m obviously extremely lean, I have VERY long arms, and a busted hip and low back, so I’m far from a genetic freak. Oh, and I’ve only been barbell benching for 3 years.

That said, you probably won’t get there benching just once a week. Everyone I personally know with a big fat bench, male or female, benches 2-3x per week. Men usually 2x, women usually 3x because we can recover faster from the extra volume. The other thing I’ll say is everyone with a big fat bench, especially those 405-ers, is doing TONS of accessory work for lats and shoulders.

Of course it's possible. I did it at a bodyweight of 155lbs. 30+ years ago 100% natural.

Quote Originally Posted by austinruben View Post
    Thanks for the great post! This sure motivated me a lot more! Thats awesome that you can bench over your bodyweight!
    You’re very welcome. Now go over to the training journals and start one so we can all watch you bust your ass and hold you accountable to get there.

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Of course it's possible. I did it at a bodyweight of 155lbs. 30+ years ago 100% natural.
    Man after my own heart <3

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    Man after my own heart <3
    Don't ask what years of doing that does to one's shoulders however.

Yeah it's possible, but not everyone can do it though, not everyone has the genetics to do that natty

"You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti

The triceps have to be so strong. Exercises should be cut down & hitting failure on those key exercises on the regular will hinder or be counter productive. Instead, 1) focus on 80% of your 1rm on the last set on each exercise. 2) train with the basic exercises for strength. 3) diet aka calories must be coming in from fats, carb, protein. 4) days trained should get cut to only 3 x per week.

"You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti

& lastly alternate exercises every 3 weeks, rep range of weights should be 3-6. As low as 1, and rest periods between 3-5 minutes between sets. Speed speed & speed training activates muscle fibers.

Oh & close grip bench should be your key to bench power
    Last edited by Poker face Ace; 04-15-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Regular benching aka every day as a freshman in college made my strength go down. But as I said tris are overlooked. You neeeeeddd tris strength to bench big
    Last edited by Poker face Ace; 04-15-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poker face Ace View Post
    Regular benching aka every day as a freshman in college made my strength go down. But as I said tris are overlooked. You neeeeeddd tris strength to bench big
    Did you ever bench 405 lbs?

Believe it or not I never shot for it even though my numbers on 315 proved more than doing 405. I was always that man who strived for more. I always said to myself "405 for 1 ain't shit unless you make a mark" now by that I mean for 5-6 reps minimum. I did 315 for 14. Then week later for 16 & I said lemme do 365. Ended up doing that for 6. I always said if I get 365 for 10 I'm taking a crack at 405. Which would of been like 3 reps. But 3 is a good starting point. Anything less "fo get about it"

Quote Originally Posted by Poker face Ace View Post
    Believe it or not I never shot for it even though my numbers on 315 proved more than doing 405. I was always that man who strived for more. I always said to myself "405 for 1 ain't shit unless you make a mark" now by that I mean for 5-6 reps minimum. I did 315 for 14. Then week later for 16 & I said lemme do 365. Ended up doing that for 6. I always said if I get 365 for 10 I'm taking a crack at 405. Which would of been like 3 reps. But 3 is a good starting point. Anything less "fo get about it"
    That's not bad

Possible? Sure. Likely? No. For proof look around your gym.
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast