Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    "You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti RIP DMX

Default Poker face Ace question?

My cousin came over this past weekend visited me & my family. Haven't seen him, geez I don't know, I'd say 6 years. He looked like he lost a few pounds, definitely looked kinda big still but also noticed he was obsessed with low fat.

I took him out to eat at my favorite sushi spot & he's like "Dr said I can't eat this or that" I'm like wtf is wrong bro? He was born a a condition called pancreatitis?!? So as I sit here thinking to myself, feeling bad for the guy, what can help him? He was my son's god father, so please Rx help this mannnnn lol.

Banned
    "You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti RIP DMX

The guy knows nothing about nutrition & has no idea what I'm saying when I explain how to train FYI.

RX MEMBER

Exclamation

Your cousin needs to educate himself. He needs medical & scientific knowledge, not bro science. If it were me, I would not talk to a nutritionist. Anyone can claim to be that. I would talk to a registered dietitian who is up on the latest research. An incredible amount of research is being done now in this area, & someone who knows that from a credentialed perspective is the one I would go to, preferably w/ at least a master's degree. (& avoid old style dietitians--my employer had a special event w/ the local hospital that provided their dietitian, & he said, "Get three square meals a day!" Oh brother.)
    Last edited by hifrommike65; 10-16-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Well PfA you asked a tough question. Congenital pancreatitis is no laughing matter. It’s a very serious disease. As I understand it from my health coach perspective, it starts from a genetic defect, the production of hormones like insulin and cortisol plus digestive enzymes are compromised, and the condition increases the risk of diabetes as well as for pancreatic cancer.

Basically anything that would normally inflame the pancreas- excessive fat consumption, extra large meals, excessive sugars, a lifestyle that people like us would consider unhealthy, etc. Stuff that would jack up insulin, cortisol, or a hard to digest meal that would require the pancreas to pump out a ton of digestive enzymes - all those would tax the pancreas and someone like your cousin would experience a significant amount of pain. The pancreas gets taxed too much and...cancer for one.

So what to eat and how to live with that condition? Really only his doctor, a licensed nutritionist, and a coach who can act as the liaison between cousin and care providers can provide that information, because they can actually see his bloodwork and medical history.

That said, here’s my $0.02 since you asked...
    1. As you know, the body requires proteins, fats, AND carbs to function optimally. That goes for everyone regardless of congenital issues. While many “licensed” nutritionists will recommend a low fat diet, the problem with extremely low fat diets is that they put people at a sky high risk for developing dementia. The brain NEEDS fats to do its job properly and communicatie with the rest of the body. While I would agree to definitely keep fats on the low-ish side, he would have to be careful with fat sources (steer completely clear of processed fats, canola/soybean/vegetable oils, packaged snack foods, etc). The pancreas being weakened still has a hard time with omega-3 fats if too much in one meal. Coconut oil on the other hand, I believe might be a great option for him because it is directly absorbed by the body and doesn’t require a gall bladder or pancreas. I feed quite a bit of it to my husband who has no gall bladder. Lots of docs and nutritionists still say olive oil and after listening to Palumbo rant against it, I can’t recommend it (at least I think it was Palumbo). I switched over to avocado oil and because it’s expensive it’s easy to use it sparingly for those on a reduced fat diet.

2. Binge eating is out. As in NEVER. Same with binge drinking. Alcohol goes without saying what it would do. His body just can’t produce enough digestive enzymes to handle a big meal regardless of high fat low fat or anything in between. Small balanced meals would be best. I see lots of good stuff on whole360. Homemade smoothies with lots of greens and low sugar fruits would be a good option because the blending pre-digests the food thus sparing the pancreas a bit.

3. If it was my husband I’d be offering a high quality digestive enzyme (one that hits prot-fat-carb) with every meal and see if it helps.

4. Goes without saying he needs to manage stress (and toxins). The body has 4 ways of detoxing- breathing, sweating, peeing and pooping. If he’s not drinking enough plain water, having 3 BMs per day, doing some form of cardio to get his heart rate up and work up a sweat for at least 20 minutes every day he needs to change that.

5. Deep sleep. There are literally hundreds of YouTube videos on improving deep sleep. If he isn’t managing his sleep then all the above could be perfect and he’s still at a huge risk fo major problems.

Those would be where I’d start. Good luck to him
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 10-16-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

By the way the LICENSED dietician who cared for my type 2 diabetic father-in-law (who eventually developed pancreatic cancer) said it was perfectly fine for him to eat a McDonald’s frozen custard EVERY SINGLE NIGHT BEFORE BED as long as my mother in law monitored his blood sugar and gave him his insulin shot. WTF???!!!

My dearest friend currently has pancreatitis (not hereditary/congenital) and when I read the email from the LICENSED dietician who came highly recommended and provided my friend a list of meal suggestions. I absolutely cringed: processed carbs in every single meal including JELLO. Not a single whole fruit on the list. Zero good fats. No mention of coconut oil, not even transdermal (it makes a great body oil for dry skin btw), MARGARINE as a condiment... I flipped my sh*t. Took me an hour and 3 ZMAs to come down from the panic attack. I took that page, drew a line down the middle, and beside the dietician’s recommendations I went line by line and wrote my own. Gave my friend all the CURRENT scientific references to back up what I wrote. Wow.

I still have occasional heart palpitations over the foods some of these highly credentialed people consider healthy. I suspect they haven’t done any current reading because I promise the published studies are very easy to find. I found them with my MS in chemistry and my PT cert.
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 10-16-2019 at 05:52 PM.

RX MEMBER

Exclamation

There are bad dietitians, including w/ PhDs. I worked in academia full-time from 1984 to 2018 & met a number of professors who were incompetent in their fields, & just generally toxic. A credential is only as good as the person who has it. Some start out excellent & go bad. Others are no good from the start. Doctors are notorious for going into the profession to boss people (especially men bossing women) around, & they're more worthless than tits on a boar pig (as my mother's mother used to say). The majority are all right & no better. The excellent ones are few & far between, & they're worth their weight in gold. The best health care provider I ever had was a chiropractor I went to when I lived in Tennessee. That was the only thing I regretted losing when I move from the state. The ones I found where I live now were nutcases, & I no longer am under chiro care. I've met my share of bad MDs here as well. I live in a rural area, & the people who get jobs here are often the ones who can't get jobs in the urban places that pay more.

I've found a few good health care providers in this area. When I had a rotator cuff injury a couple of years ago, I was sent for rehab. My insurance paid for one session. The person who handled me was a powerlifter, as was her husband. She was by far the best health care provider I found where I live. & I could only get her instruction on exercises for one hour. I was so sorry I couldn't work w/ her more. But you know insurance companies these days. & I couldn't afford to pay her out of my pocket, nor do I think she did consulting work.

Interesting that coconut oil is now on the "good" list. In the early 80s, Muscle & Fitness said to avoid it like the plague.

Sunnyday, can you recommend a OTC digestive enzyme? I'd like to try that.
    Last edited by hifrommike65; 10-16-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post

Sunnyday, can you recommend a OTC digestive enzyme? I'd like to try that.
    Garden of Life makes a good one but heads up it is expensive. With digestive enzymes I have found you get what you pay for, so buy the best one you can afford.

I have heard and read that as we age our bodies produce fewer enzymes so adding a supplement over age 40 is a good idea.

Another interesting thing I had read was that in addition to the reduced enzyme production with aging we also produce less stomach acid. Consuming a lot of beverages around mealtime can reduce the body’s ability to digest foods efficiently (diluted enzymes and stomach acid), and that reducing beverage consumption to 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after a meal can also help digestion.

Banned

Excellent points Mike & sunny. Tbh, I suggested to him an approach that I love, which is fasting. Eating veggies while eating low-fat dairy. Lean cuts of protein & really focusing on smaller portions. Regarding oil, i was thinking of suggesting to him MCT oil only a.m. then small portions. His doctor is a ding bat. He told him to enjoy food and life and just don't go overboard. LMAO he's telling me this & my jaw is literally dropping lol

Quote Originally Posted by Poker face Ace View Post
    Excellent points Mike & sunny. Tbh, I suggested to him an approach that I love, which is fasting. Eating veggies while eating low-fat dairy. Lean cuts of protein & really focusing on smaller portions. Regarding oil, i was thinking of suggesting to him MCT oil only a.m. then small portions. His doctor is a ding bat. He told him to enjoy food and life and just don't go overboard. LMAO he's telling me this & my jaw is literally dropping lol
    Intermittent fasting would be an EXCELLENT suggestion for him! If he’s not into a full 24+-hour fast, even just limiting his eating window- say, 14-16 hour fast with much of that during sleeping hours and an 8-10 hour window of eating. While I have nothing against dairy, there are so many more food choices that are more nutrient dense. Even lowfat dairy is a hard one for many people to digest. But if it’s something he enjoys then have at it! Diet choices to a point are much like cardio choices: the most effective diet (or cardio) is the one you’re going to DO. So the healthiest diet he’s actually going to FOLLOW is the one that’s right for him.

I can’t say I’m surprised his doc is that way. They don’t teach current practical nutrition in medical school. And then the state board puts a limit on what docs can tell patients about nutrition. (Goes for health coaches, non-licensed nutritionists, and trainers too btw). They/we can make broad suggestions but only someone with a dietician license can actually prescribe food as medicine. Sad but true.

MCT oil is good but IMO raw coconut oil is a far better option. Coconut IS a mct oil just not refined and it has many nutrients that the mct lacks. Plus it’s a LOT less expensive! With the money he saves on that one supplement he can spend it on other things. But hey if budget is not a concern then do both!

What you might want to do for him is provide him with some links to sites like whole30 and thrive market. Or take him to what WE would consider a bomb grocery store (Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sprouts, MOMs). Many of those stores and even thrivemarket online post healthy recipes and their apps have diet options so he can put in his diet restrictions and only the options that for his diet will show up.

Show him how to navigate the grocery store and make better choices than what he’s currently doing. Health coaches like me charge serious money to take clients shopping and do pantry makeovers. You’ve been living this lifestyle long enough you can show anyone some basics on incorporating more whole foods into their plan. Provide him that service and get him started in the right direction. Teach the man HOW to fish rather than just giving him a fish to eat, so to speak.
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 10-16-2019 at 09:59 PM.

was he or is he a big booze drinker?
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    Your cousin needs to educate himself. He needs medical & scientific knowledge, not bro science. If it were me, I would not talk to a nutritionist. Anyone can claim to be that. I would talk to a registered dietitian who is up on the latest research. An incredible amount of research is being done now in this area, & someone who knows that from a credentialed perspective is the one I would go to, preferably w/ at least a master's degree. (& avoid old style dietitians--my employer had a special event w/ the local hospital that provided their dietitian, & he said, "Get three square meals a day!" Oh brother.)
    Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist? There are certifications but I agree a dietitian is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RX MEMBER

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by cherrybombfitnes View Post
    Anyone can claim to be a nutritionist? There are certifications but I agree a dietitian is what you want.
    You can major in nutrition at the college level, & you can get certification in nutrition. Personal training certification also requires nutrition study. But my experience is that some people offer nutrition counseling who have no credentials in it (i.e., they do no more than read popular mags & popular diet books). My former chiropractor claimed to be a nutritionist, & gave me advice about what to eat, how to eat it, when to eat it, etc. He did major in nutrition in college, but that was 20 years ago, & he did not keep up w/ research. He named a recent bestseller & said, "I recommend a modified version of that." He was also not in shape. I didn't find him credible. He also wasn't a very good chiro & I dropped him, in part b/c I thought he was trying to run my life.

A lot of bro science gurus are bodybuilders who found something that works for them, & they give (& sell) advice on training, nutrition, & claim to be "life coaches" (i.e., they tell others how to live their lives). Sorry, I will live mine as I see fit.
    Last edited by hifrommike65; 10-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Banned

Thanks SD!!

To answer mobster, I mean we both did our fare share In college. I highly HIGHLY doubt he continued afterwards, maybe couple beers or a martini with his dinner I could see w him. He's got a very demanding career as a stock broker & is very educated which I understand neither of those make a difference in his drinking but I can't see him boozing it up, then waking up to work a 12 hr shift. Im guessing his drinking from a young age mayyyybe caught up but if that were the case, I would imagine he would of had symptoms then. He said he just woke up with lots of stomach pain & doctor ran tests which led to further evaluation. It's funny because, even with vitamins I use to take, he'd be like "bro, what's the point, blah blah blah. But doing research on the topic, I found which I HIGHLY doubt he'd do since he lovvves food, it's best for him to go fasting or vegan, but I have a feeling he'd be like "umm yeah ok" lol

RX MEMBER

PfA, far be it for me to offer you advice on a relation. I will tell you what I would do if he was a member of my family. Offer suggestions & drop it. It's really up to him.

For us, it's not just about being as big as the incredible hulk, it's more about being as ripped as Rambo 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast