Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Stiff Legged Deadlift

I have copied this from my blog, thought you all might enjoy reading it.

The Stiff-Legged Deadlift

Why write a whole article on the stiff-legged deadlift you ask? Because it is one of the best ways to build the hamstrings and also to better your glute-hamstring tie in, or in laymen’s terms, where your thigh becomes your butt. Being an exercise science and knowledge fanatic I like to first approach every situation in the weight room from an anatomical and biomechanist standpoint. This can be problematic at times because I tend to over analyze things, however, it has also help me to incorporate the most proper form and some of the best techniques into my training.

In regards to the stiff legged deadlift lets first take a glance at the anatomy of body during the lift. The hamstrings are comprised of three muscles: the semitendinosus, semimembranosus, and beiceps femoris – long head. Where the hamstrings attach to bone is also important to consider when examining this lift from start to finish. The semitendinosus originates on the ischial tuberosity and inserts on the anteromedial proximal tibia. The semimembranosus originates on the ischial tuberosity and inserts on the posterolateral tibial condyle. The biceps femoris originates on the ischial tuberosity and inserts on the fibular head. If you notice, all three muscles have the same origin on the ischial tuberosity, or what most people identify to be their butt-bone. It is important to note that these muscles do not insert on the femur or thigh anywhere but cross over the knee and insert proximally to the knee. Having insertions on the bones of the lower leg will indicate that the calf muscles will also be involved or affected but the hamstring as will the placement or movement of the knee joint. That being said lets begin to incorporate some biomechanical properties into the scenario.

Simply bending at the hips, or essentially flexing the hips, will use the hamstrings. However, this movement will not maximize the use of the hamstrings. To produce maximum tension in the hamstring a maximum and optimal stretch must be produced. Since we already know that the calf and knee have effect on the hamstrings, this maximum stretch can be done with one simple trick, raising the toes. If the toes are elevated by simply placing a 2x4 board of some sort under the toes this will force a dorsaflexion at the ankle. By dorsaflexing at the ankle it will stretch the calves and have impact on the hamstring because of where the insertions are located for these three muscles. Another thing you must consider is the position in range of motion of the knee joint. While we do call this a stiff legged deadlift, proper form indicates the knees be locked but slightly bent. This is also relative to the insertions of the hamstring muscles. By bending the knees a better line of pull is created for the hamstrings. A better line of pull will allow the muscles to produce a more powerful contraction.

I know it is a lot to take in and makes a rather simple exercise very complex. However, this exercise is not so simple and should be taken seriously. I only went of in detail the position of the hip, knee and ankle of this movement and did not address the placement and position of the core during this exercise. This does not mean however that the position of the core and lower back is not as important. The placement of the hip, knee and ankle are important to the effectiveness of the exercise on the target muscles; however, the placement and position of the lower back and core are essential to avoid injury. The back should not be rounded in this exercise especially when being performed with heavy weight. Rounding of the back and improper upper body posture during this exercise can result in injury. The best idea for not only this exercise but all other exercises as well, is to start out light and only increase the weight when you can do so with proper form. By sacrificing form for increased weight you are putting yourself at risk for injury to the joints. This is no beginners’ exercise by any means and you know whether you should be doing it or not. If you have no idea what this article was about, I advise you to possibly get a trainer or professional to oversee and help you while performing the exercise for the first time.

Don’t be scared of the deadlift! Incorporate it into your training split if possible! You don’t have to do it everytime of course, but it is a great alternative to the seated and lying hamstring curl machines, which can get old very quickly!

Sources:

http://www.fitstep.com/Misc/Newslett.../hamstring.htm

http://www.exrx.net/Graphics/HamstringPosterior.gif

Kemerly, A. (2008). Biomechanics: Analyzing human movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love me some SLDLs fo sho!

Another variation on it is if you can find two benches close enough together to stand on, and then use a DB, long-wise and pull - similar to sort of a very close grip SLDL. The best place I've ever done this is on the spotter stands of two incline benches that were back to back and close enough together for a raised platform and lots of clearance for your DB to drop and get a lot of extension in the lift. Seems to really give a great example and execution of the "lever" execution of this lift.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Love me some SLDLs fo sho!

Another variation on it is if you can find two benches close enough together to stand on, and then use a DB, long-wise and pull - similar to sort of a very close grip SLDL. The best place I've ever done this is on the spotter stands of two incline benches that were back to back and close enough together for a raised platform and lots of clearance for your DB to drop and get a lot of extension in the lift. Seems to really give a great example and execution of the "lever" execution of this lift.
    Great idea Sassy, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by figurefit09 View Post
    Great idea Sassy, thanks for the tip!
    The hitch is finding the right set up. I've tried it on two flat benches, but they usually have too much padding to really get a solid stance if you're going to move a really heavy DB. Something like a tall stack of Step Aerobics steps might work. Its just annoying to have to rig up something after having the perfect set up - the probably is that the last time I saw the perfect set up was circa 1988 in Scottsdale.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Best exercise for your ass and hamstrings without a doubt imo.

Is there a range of motion you ladies stick with to feel it more? Or do you go through the full ROM?

For me from mid shin to just above knee level is where i feel it the most.

Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    Best exercise for your ass and hamstrings without a doubt imo.

Is there a range of motion you ladies stick with to feel it more? Or do you go through the full ROM?

For me from mid shin to just above knee level is where i feel it the most.
    If I'm using a barbell I'll probably stick w/ thigh to shin range. If I'm doing DBs its easier to go out a little further to get a full ROM - like to the tops of your shoes and even kick out a little further.
    ~Jack Lalanne

If I'm using a barbell I'll probably stick w/ thigh to shin range. If I'm doing DBs its easier to go out a little further to get a full ROM - like to the tops of your shoes and even kick out a little further.
    I agree with Sassy, full ROM or larger ROM is easier with dumbbells, you have a little more freedom as opposed to the barbell, however, both are good. Always good to alternate between the two

The hitch is finding the right set up. I've tried it on two flat benches, but they usually have too much padding to really get a solid stance if you're going to move a really heavy DB. Something like a tall stack of Step Aerobics steps might work. Its just annoying to have to rig up something after having the perfect set up - the probably is that the last time I saw the perfect set up was circa 1988 in Scottsdale.
    Yeah the set-up i can see would be difficult. Scottsdale eh? Haha I've got family out there, great place, I love the dry heat and there seems to be a lot more bodybuilders out there and more of a fitness lifestyle for everyone as opposed to here in NC, good ole south haha

The other stinker w/ BB SLDLs is it can tear up your shins. That is occasionally the thing that sets my upper limit on reps in a given session. Not so much of an issue w/ DBs. However I find my knees get in the way sometimes.
    ~Jack Lalanne

RX MEMBER

Romanian Deads and Regular Deads are better imo.

Also you see a lot of girls doing this movement with a ton of spinal flexion, making it much more dangerous than a properly executed traditional deadlift. Never understood why people did that.
    Last edited by TheABomb; 12-11-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by needtogetcrowns View Post
    Romanian Deads and Regular Deads are better imo.

Also you see a lot of girls doing this movement with a ton of spinal flexion, making it much more dangerous than a properly executed traditional deadlift. Never understood why people did that.
    Her definition of SLDL is pretty much that of a RDL. These days the two are pretty much synonymous. At least by any competent trainer, as the risk of a "true" SLDL isn't worth it.
    Yes I did inject my sack to win free shit.
    Unban Ritch 2012 Follow my shit if you think I'm cool
    http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...-Starting-Over

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by juiceinator3000 View Post
    Her definition of SLDL is pretty much that of a RDL. These days the two are pretty much synonymous. At least by any competent trainer, as the risk of a "true" SLDL isn't worth it.

This is true, but from what I've seen, many trainers are still teaching their clients what you say to be a "true" SDL. I've seen many NPC competitors and ifbb pros teach their clients to do sdls this way.

Quote Originally Posted by needtogetcrowns View Post
    This is true, but from what I've seen, many trainers are still teaching their clients what you say to be a "true" SDL. I've seen many NPC competitors and ifbb pros teach their clients to do sdls this way.

Yea me too that's why I threw in competent
    Yes I did inject my sack to win free shit.
    Unban Ritch 2012 Follow my shit if you think I'm cool
    http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...-Starting-Over

PENCILNECK

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=figurefit09;1587589]I agree with Sassy, full ROM or larger ROM is easier with dumbbells, you have a little more freedom as opposed to the barbell, however, both are good. Always good to alternate between the two

First of all I LOVE stiff leg deads. I totally agree with alternating between DB and Barbells. Its just a little way to change up your leg routine so you keep challenging your body!

Hey Figurefit where in NC are you ?

Thanks for posting this, I am enjoying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast