Default Cytolean ingredient uncaria rhynchophylla

hey guys i was just doing searches on the ingredients of cytolean and stumbled across a few studies on uncaria rhynchophylla. no clinical trials yet but, thought some people might be interested in some of this.

Methanolic extracts of Uncaria rhynchophylla induce cytotoxicity and apoptosis in HT-29 human colon carcinoma cells.
    Jo KJ. Cha MR. Lee MR. Yoon MY. Park HR.
    Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. 63(2):77-82, 2008 Jun.
    [Journal Article. Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]
    UI: 18392727
    Authors Full Name
    Jo, Kyung-Jin. Cha, Mi-Ran. Lee, Mi-Ra. Yoon, Mi-Young. Park, Hae-Ryong.

AB In this paper, we report the anticancer activities of Uncaria rhynchophylla extracts, a Rubiaceae plant native to China. Traditionally, Uncaria rhynchophylla has been used in the prevention and treatment of neurotoxicity. However, the cytotoxic activity of Uncaria rhynchophylla against human colon carcinoma cells has not, until now, been elucidated. We found that the methanolic extract of Uncaria rhynchophylla (URE) have cytotoxic effects on HT-29 cells. The URE showed highly cytotoxic effects via the MTT reduction assay, LDH release assay, and colony formation assay. As expected, URE inhibited the growth of HT-29 cells in a dose-dependent manner. In particular, the methanolic URE of the 500 microg/ml showed 15.8% inhibition against growth of HT-29 cells. It induced characteristic apoptotic effects in HT-29 cells, including chromatin condensation and sharking occurring 24 h when the cells were treated at a concentration of the 500 microg/ml. The activation of caspase-3 and the specific proteolytic cleavage of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase were detected over the course of apoptosis induction. These results indicate that URE contains bioactive materials with strong activity, and is a potential chemotherapeutic agent candidate against HT-29 human colon carcinoma cells.

note:
    extracts were used, cytolean just has a small amount of the plant ingredient - still interesting tho.

Anxiolytic effects of the aqueous extract of Uncaria rhynchophylla.
    Jung JW. Ahn NY. Oh HR. Lee BK. Lee KJ. Kim SY. Cheong JH. Ryu JH.
    Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 108(2):193-7, 2006 Nov 24.
    UI: 16829000
    Authors Full Name
    Jung, Ji Wook. Ahn, Nam Yoon. Oh, Hye Rim. Lee, Bo Kyung. Lee, Kang Jin. Kim, Sun Yeou. Cheong, Jae Hoon. Ryu, Jong Hoon.

AB The purpose of this study was to characterize the putative anxiolytic-like effects of the aqueous extract of hooks with stem of Uncaria rhynchophylla using the elevated plus maze (EPM) and the hole-board apparatus in rats and mice. Control rats were treated with an equal volume of saline, and positive control rats with buspirone (1 mg/kg). Single or repeated treatments of the aqueous extract of Uncaria rhynchophylla (200 mg/kg/day, p.o.) for 7 days significantly increased the time-spent and entries into open arms of the EPM, and reduced the time-spent and entries into the closed arms versus saline controls (P<0.05). However, no changes in spontaneous locomotor activity or myorelaxant effects were observed versus saline controls. In the hole-board test, repeated treatment with the aqueous extract of Uncaria rhynchophylla (100 or 200 mg/kg/day, p.o.) significantly increased the number of head-dips (P<0.05). In addition, the anxiolytic-like effects of Uncaria rhynchophylla extract as assessed using the EPM test were abolished by WAY 100635 (0.3 mg/kg, i.p.), a 5-HT(1A) receptor antagonist. These results suggest that Uncaria rhynchophylla is an effective anxiolytic agent, and acts via the serotonergic nervous system.

note: study done on rats at considerably high doses

Uncaria rhynchophylla, a Chinese medicinal herb, has potent antiaggregation effects on Alzheimer's beta-amyloid proteins.
    Fujiwara H. Iwasaki K. Furukawa K. Seki T. He M. Maruyama M. Tomita N. Kudo Y. Higuchi M. Saido TC. Maeda S. Takashima A. Hara M. Ohizumi Y. Arai H.
    Journal of Neuroscience Research. 84(2):427-33, 2006 Aug 1.
    UI: 16676329
    Authors Full Name
    Fujiwara, Hironori. Iwasaki, Koh. Furukawa, Katsutoshi. Seki, Takashi. He, Mei. Maruyama, Masahiro. Tomita, Naoki. Kudo, Yukitsuka. Higuchi, Makoto. Saido, Takaomi C. Maeda, Sumihiro. Takashima, Akihiko. Hara, Masahiko. Ohizumi, Yasushi. Arai, Hiroyuki.

AB Because the deposition of beta-amyloid protein (Abeta) is a consistent pathological hallmark of Alzheimer's disease (AD) brains, inhibition of Abeta generation, prevention of Abeta fibril formation, or destabilization of preformed Abeta fibrils would be attractive therapeutic strategies for the treatment of AD. We examined the effects of several medicinal herbs used in traditional Chinese medical formulae on the formation and destabilization of Abeta fibrils by using the thioflavin T binding assay, atomic force microscopic imaging, and electrophoresis. Our study demonstrates that several of these herbs have potent inhibitory effects on fibril formation of both Abeta(1-40) and Abeta(1-42) in concentration-dependent manners; in particular, Uncaria rhynchophylla inhibited Abeta aggregation most intensively. Significant destabilization of preformed Abeta(1-40) and Abeta(1-42) fibrils was also induced by Uncaria rhynchophylla as well as some other herb extracts. Three-dimensional HPLC analysis indicated that the water extract of this herb contains several different chemical compounds, including oxindole and indol alkaloids, which have been regarded as neuroprotective. Our results suggest that Uncariarhynchophylla has remarkably inhibitory effects on the regulation of Abeta fibrils, and we conclude that this medicinal herb could have the potency to be a novel therapeutic agent to prevent and/or cure AD.

Uncaria rhynchophylla induces angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo.
    Choi DY. Huh JE. Lee JD. Cho EM. Baek YH. Yang HR. Cho YJ. Kim KI. Kim DY. Park DS.
    Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 28(12):2248-52, 2005 Dec.
    UI: 16327159
    Authors Full Name
    Choi, Do-Young. Huh, Jeong-Eun. Lee, Jae-Dong. Cho, Eun-Mi. Baek, Yong-Hyeon. Yang, Ha-Ru. Cho, Yoon-Je. Kim, Kang-Il. Kim, Deog-Yoon. Park, Dong-Suk.

AB Angiogenesis consists of the proliferation, migration, and differentiation of endothelial cells, and angiogenic factors and matrix protein interactions modulate this process. The aim of this study was to determine the angiogenic properties of Uncaria rhynchophylla. Uncaria rhynchophylla significantly enhanced human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) proliferation in a dose-dependent manner. Neutralization of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) or basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF) by monoclonal antibody suppressed the Uncaria rhynchophylla stimulatory effect on proliferation. In addition, Uncaria rhynchophylla significantly increased chemotactic-migration on gelatin and tubular structures on Matrigel of HUVECs in a dose-dependent manner. Interestingly, Uncaria rhynchophylla dose-dependently increased VEGF, and bFGF gene expression and protein secretion of HUVEC. The angiogenic activity of Uncaria rhynchophylla was confirmed using an in vivo Matrigel angiogenesis model, showing promotion of blood vessel formation. These results suggest that Uncaria rhynchophylla could potentially used to accelerate vascular wound healing or to promote the growth of collateral blood vessel in ischemic tissues.

Banned

yeah, thats cat claw. it is an interesting ingredient though im skeptical. as a "cognitive enhancer" it has promise. not so sure about other effects. uncaria rhynchophylla can be purchased by itself.

i remember being introduced to it in the cytolean advertisements with bruce kneller. i was like, "what the hell does this crap gotta do with burning fat?!" im still scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhysicalTherapist View Post
    yeah, thats cat claw. it is an interesting ingredient though im skeptical. as a "cognitive enhancer" it has promise. not so sure about other effects. uncaria rhynchophylla can be purchased by itself.

i remember being introduced to it in the cytolean advertisements with bruce kneller. i was like, "what the hell does this crap gotta do with burning fat?!" im still scratching my head.
    the package states "profound sense of well-being and mental focus."

and the study on the apoptosis of HT-29 colon cells was pretty significant. i have the whole artice i can send you if you're interested.

FREAK

I've become extremely skeptical of fat burners that tout "focus" and crap like that. Always been disappointed. The only fat burner that has done this was good old ephedra and caffeine! The other ones usually make me feel like shit! I'd prefer to use some normal stimulants like caffeine and maybe some amino acids and choline derivatives instead of a lot of that BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I've become extremely skeptical of fat burners that tout "focus" and crap like that. Always been disappointed. The only fat burner that has done this was good old ephedra and caffeine! The other ones usually make me feel like shit! I'd prefer to use some normal stimulants like caffeine and maybe some amino acids and choline derivatives instead of a lot of that BS.
    i'm skeptical of fat burners in general, i take the good ole ephedrine. i figure i get enough caffeine from pre-w/o supps, diet pop, etc... but i got a shit load of free cytolean so i figured i'd look up the ingredients because it seems like an industry standard to put the most complex and scientific name of every ingredient..

FREAK

Can you get ephedrine at any pharmacy in the US? Just go to the counter? I know they copy your driver's license, but does this vary from state to state? I'd love to know because I finished off my old ephedra stash from years ago and I'm missing it

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Can you get ephedrine at any pharmacy in the US? Just go to the counter? I know they copy your driver's license, but does this vary from state to state? I'd love to know because I finished off my old ephedra stash from years ago and I'm missing it
    in canada we can buy ephedrine HCL over the counter. they come in 8mg tabs and are recommended for relief of nasal congestion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    the package states "profound sense of well-being and mental focus."

and the study on the apoptosis of HT-29 colon cells was pretty significant. i have the whole artice i can send you if you're interested.

cool. send it.

RX MEMBER

So in the US can we still get genuine ephedra? I have not really looked in quite some time. If not, I guess it is a good thing I am close to Canada

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by Cooker View Post
    So in the US can we still get genuine ephedra? I have not really looked in quite some time. If not, I guess it is a good thing I am close to Canada
    My understanding is that you probably won't find ephedra herb because it's banned. However the active stimulating alkaloid in the ephedra herb, ephedrine, is available at the desk at a pharmacy but you have to let them copy your license and fill out forms to monitor sales of ephedrine since it's a hop, skip, and a jump away chemically from meth.

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

I've seen Ephedrine in convenience stores at the counter.

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

RX MEMBER

Cool! About the only thing I seen in a few of the supps I was looking through was ephedra leaves or some other worthless thing with ephedra in front of it

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by Cooker View Post
    Cool! About the only thing I seen in a few of the supps I was looking through was ephedra leaves or some other worthless thing with ephedra in front of it

The herb ephedra isn't itself useless, but it should be standardized for ephedrine alkaloids so you know what you're taking in. I don't see these anymore so ephedrine HCl is the way to go.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by SallyAnne View Post
    I've seen Ephedrine in convenience stores at the counter.
    I have bought it down the street from my house. they do not make you sign anything.