Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Nice sticky. A lot of great information. Thanks for the good work!

HiT type training rocks. I do a few more sets, primarily warmups, as I'm older and have become quite strong from years of hitting it. I usually post on the Masters thread, but here's tonites effort which was really hard and left me leveled for a couple hours afterwards.

HiT type training rocks. I do a few more sets, primarily warmups, as I'm older and have become quite strong from years of hitting it. I usually post on the Masters thread, but here's tonites effort which was really hard and left me leveled for a couple hours afterwards, I train 3 x weekly, plus cardio 3 x. .Today's workout. BACK 1. Rack Deadlifts From knee level - w/u bar, 140, 230 x10, 320x6, 410x6, 500x 6) 590 x4, 680 x1, 770 X1, 790 X 4. Rack From top- 590 x 3 to below knee level + 1 neg to bottom. From bottom 500 x1, 550 x 2. 2. Hammer Pulldowns (w/u 1, 2, 3 pl. 4pl x1) 5 plates, 5 pl ea arm x 4 + 2 FR + 2 neg! - left, 3+ 2 FR+ 2 neg right unilaterally. 7 pl x 5 neg ea arm unilaterally- up 45 lbs ea arm!. 3. Cable rows- break in 210x a few. 245 x9. 4. Hammer Shrugs 10 pl ea side+ 35 +25+ 25 lb carriage 1045 x 4, x 5!. ------------- BICEPS ----------------------------------------- 5. Macnine Curls - 190 x 5 neg ea arm. Stack 220 x bilaterally Great workout! Hard and very heavy. BW 257 before.

I started out with HIT I went from 185 lbs. At 6 foot 4 and a half not very good. to 250lbs in like 18 months it was geat i was hooked one day My training partner was not in the gym (power house) and i was squating and i hurt my back. moral of the story don't be stupid and use good form. Im still messed up im down to 220 and holding but i wish i would have listend when they say good form. leson learned. heavy weights and low reps worked for me. im mentzer fan all the way.

great piece of info, mate, good work and i am happy to see that i am not the only one who think mike was 100yr ahead of his time.

MUSCLEHEAD

Any chance someone can help me design a HIT workout routine for the fall? I wanna put on some mass after doing my most serious cut ever and I like the HIT approach. I have spent the past few weeks reading everything Arthur Jones wrote, so I have the basics down. I am a little confused as to when to use the HIT teqniques such as pre-exhaust and the leg Tri-Set (which works great for me considering I have a back injury and cant squat heavy). I also very much enjoy training and would like to do so as often as possible.

I am 6' 3", apx 200lbs @ 9% BF.

Any assitance is greatly appreciated.

I watched Mike Mentzer's "underground" seminar - 12 part series, on youtube last night and this morning. It's definately a drastic departure from what I'm familiar with.

In the vid, he suggested 1 day per week, alternating between A and B workouts each week, and only 1 set:
    Workout A:
    Squats
    Close Grip Underhand Pullups

Workout B:
    Deadlifts
    Dips

And that was it. It appeared he was talking to a general crowd, but he did make reference to a lot of guys in the audience being "natural" bodybuilders, so i'm not sure if this would be his "advanced" principles, are for beginners.

He says to do this for 8 weeks, then rest for 2 weeks, then return and do the workout every 9 days.

Are guys still doing it like this? Are you seeing results?

I'm 6'3", 208lbs. I've added about 50lbs doing high volume and pyramiding sets over the last 11 years, but I do feel I've hit a bit of a wall. I wouldn't mind experimenting, but this I think would definatley set me back. I lose weight very easily - classic ectomorph.

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    I watched Mike Mentzer's "underground" seminar - 12 part series, on youtube last night and this morning. It's definately a drastic departure from what I'm familiar with.

In the vid, he suggested 1 day per week, alternating between A and B workouts each week, and only 1 set:
    Workout A:
    Squats
    Close Grip Underhand Pullups

Workout B:
    Deadlifts
    Dips

And that was it. It appeared he was talking to a general crowd, but he did make reference to a lot of guys in the audience being "natural" bodybuilders, so i'm not sure if this would be his "advanced" principles, are for beginners.

He says to do this for 8 weeks, then rest for 2 weeks, then return and do the workout every 9 days.

Are guys still doing it like this? Are you seeing results?

I'm 6'3", 208lbs. I've added about 50lbs doing high volume and pyramiding sets over the last 11 years, but I do feel I've hit a bit of a wall. I wouldn't mind experimenting, but this I think would definatley set me back. I lose weight very easily - classic ectomorph.
    Being a big MM fan (i have all his books and so on) i have to say the routines he came out with earlier were a lot better.
    This final routine he came up with would work for some one who barely eats and is probably busy all day long but for any one remotely close to being a bodybuilder would need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    Being a big MM fan (i have all his books and so on) i have to say the routines he came out with earlier were a lot better.
    This final routine he came up with would work for some one who barely eats and is probably busy all day long but for any one remotely close to being a bodybuilder would need more.
    Thanks,

by more, do you mean more exercises within the workout, more sets, more frequency of workouts, or all of the above? Could you give a modified program.

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Thanks,

by more, do you mean more exercises within the workout, more sets, more frequency of workouts, or all of the above? Could you give a modified program.
    Sure....

"MM's most productive routine"

Workout one (monday)
    Leg ext and leg press 1 super set
    squats 1 set
    leg curls 2 set
    calve raise 2 set
    toe press 1 set
    db fly or pec dec with incline presses 1-2 super set
    dips 2 set
    tricep pushdown with dips 1 super set
    lying tricep extensions 2 set

Workout two (wednesday) even though putting it on thursday makes more sense IMO
    nautilus pullover with close grip pulldowns 2 super sets
    bent over rows 2 sets
    shrug machine with upright rows 1 set
    lateral machine with machine overhead press 2 super sets
    rear delt rows 2 sets
    standing curls 1 set
    concentration curls 2 set

All exercises are done in the 6-8 repetition range.

although I like MM too, I think he didnt do enough work to grow just because on his own he looked good and complete, but up against arnie he had no chance, he looked very small next to him and many other bb on stage in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jamwithtupac View Post
    although I like MM too, I think he didnt do enough work to grow just because on his own he looked good and complete, but up against arnie he had no chance, he looked very small next to him and many other bb on stage in my opinion
    This is the one time i am going to have to say you are talking nonsense James and need to get your eyes tested

Interesting how I just put 2 and 2 together this morning.

I workout at home, and I own a POWERTEC leverage system workbench:

I've owned it for 6 years, and it has served me well. (please note I'm not plugging it).

Anyway, the bench has a workout chart that has been on my wall all of this time, and explains not only the excerices you can do, but it also has recommendations on how to exercise. I of course read it when I first got it, but I paid little attention to it, since I thought the volume was too low, and figured that it was probably written that way for beginners so as not to intimidate them, and not the "hard core" lifter. I can't remember ever doing what they recommended.

In short, it seems to follow HIT principles:

workouts are broken into 2 sesssions, with each workout every 3-4 days, and only lasting 20 minutes each.

There are 5 exercises in each session.

Each exercise is performed for 1 set, with a rep range of 6-12 reps to failure.

Movements are to be done on an 8 count: 3 seconds on initial push/pull, a 1 second pause at the top of the movement, then a 4 second negative on return.

The chart refers to this type of training to be proven as the most effectve way to build muscle. Again, I didn't believe it when I first read it.

But given that I watched the MM youtube videos, it seems to align with his principles, and certainly the program that CON outlined in an ealier post.

I still haven't chosen to follow the program yet. I train on a 5 day split, and today was chest day. What I did do was follow the 8 count rep as outlined. Needless to say, I couldn't do nearly as much weight. And after a couple of light warmups as I usually do, I only did 2 working sets, for flat bench, incline, dips, and cable fly. My chest is very sore right now, so I will see how I feel next week. I will also try this with my other workouts this week. If I see good results, I'll stick with it for a while, dropping my total sets per body part to 8-10, rather than the 20 - 25 sets I was doing before.

I don't have the workouts in front of me right now as outlined on the chart. I'll post those later, but again, it's a bit similar to CON's post.

That is a fine piece of kit PTB i always wanted one of those as a teen but only could afford the shitty Weider bench haha.

In HIT rep tempo is important some guys take it as slow as ten seconds up and ten seconds down but i think explosive positive and 5 second negative to work the best.

thanks. The one in the picture is a bit newer than the one I have. this one has an integrated hi - lo pulley, whereas I need to add a cable attachment to enable low pulley function. The bench is actually attached to the machine, and it swivels out for leg and other movements. Also, mine doesn't have the plate racks on the sides.

I just got their catalog for 2010. The new model actually allows you to fully remove the bench altogether, and lock it in via a pin.

there is also a new attachment that allows for leg presses, as well as a butterfly attachment - both of which go into the leg curl/extension slot. (again, I'm not selling it).

I may try your explosive/5 sec negative also. Right now, the 8 sec rep is killing me now. I'll take that as a good sign.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast