Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    i used to love it when it first came out. i have the first issues and it was full of ripped girls and good advice. i still cant bring myself to not read it, guess its a habit! i do like thier clean eating book..i subscribe to that.
    Oh I remember when Kelly Ryan and Jenny Lynn used to be on the cover. Davanna Medina, Monica Brant, etc. Now it seems to be string beans on the cover. Oxygen was like my Bible, and recently I feel each issue is just a regurgitation of a previous issue. I also get tired of seeing the SAME models and the SAME faces in the magazine month after month after month. I feel Oxygen has gradually flocked over to the "Shape" and "Fitness" category I typically avoid.

20-30 grams IS probably accurate considering Oxygen's target audience. For those of us who are serious athletes I'd say we lie outside of the normal Oxygen reader. I honestly wish there was a hardcore women's mag out there, kind of like a female version of MD or Flex or something along those lines- with articles featuring women's pros and women competitors..... I'd subscribe to that in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Allifit View Post
    Oh I remember when Kelly Ryan and Jenny Lynn used to be on the cover. Davanna Medina, Monica Brant, etc. Now it seems to be string beans on the cover. Oxygen was like my Bible, and recently I feel each issue is just a regurgitation of a previous issue. I also get tired of seeing the SAME models and the SAME faces in the magazine month after month after month. I feel Oxygen has gradually flocked over to the "Shape" and "Fitness" category I typically avoid.

20-30 grams IS probably accurate considering Oxygen's target audience. For those of us who are serious athletes I'd say we lie outside of the normal Oxygen reader. I honestly wish there was a hardcore women's mag out there, kind of like a female version of MD or Flex or something along those lines- with articles featuring women's pros and women competitors..... I'd subscribe to that in a heartbeat.
    LOL when I see so many of the girls they have in these magazines now as "fitness models", all I can think is "eh, weak shoulders". Don't even need to be piled up w/ muscle & ripped - at least look like you've got good posture for God's sake, please JUST WITH A LITTLE bicep shape... (because we all know skinny arms today = mom arms tomorrow...)
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Forum Leader: Rx Fight Club stephaniewicked's Avatar

I honestly wish there was a hardcore women's mag out there, kind of like a female version of MD or Flex or something along those lines- with articles featuring women's pros and women competitors..... I'd subscribe to that in a heartbeat.
    x2! I learn more about female athletes on this forum than I do from reading any magazine... and I read A LOT... M&F, MD (yes, yes... I know), Flex, MuscleMag, Reps, IronMan, Oxygen...

One of the things I really love about Rx and the IA videos and listening to MGI is to hear all the techniques that females use for dieting and training. I don't mind reading about the guys, but it's nice to have the perspective of knowing how other chicas do things and how they started and what they have found to be effective, etc.
    "The gym is one of life's best arenas for building the toughest of men. Not because you learn to experience success, but because you've been forced to accept failure and identify your flaws."

Quote Originally Posted by stephaniewicked View Post
    x2! I learn more about female athletes on this forum than I do from reading any magazine... and I read A LOT... M&F, MD (yes, yes... I know), Flex, MuscleMag, Reps, IronMan, Oxygen...

One of the things I really love about Rx and the IA videos and listening to MGI is to hear all the techniques that females use for dieting and training. I don't mind reading about the guys, but it's nice to have the perspective of knowing how other chicas do things and how they started and what they have found to be effective, etc.
    I religiously read MD, Flex, and MuscleMag. While I love the mags I wish they offered up more training info and profiles about women. I know they're men's mags, but I would SOOOOOOOOOO subscribe infinitely to a magazine structured like Flex or MD but all about hardcore female training. I'd love to read about IFBB pro's roads to the Olympia, or their training and nutrition tips etc. I enjoy reading about the men, but I really wish there was something like that out there for women. I feel like we either get soccer mom bosu ball "do pushups with your baby" type magazines (Shape, Fitness, etc) or we're stuck dipping into the boy's mag stock (MD, Flex etc). There's no in between.

GYM RAT

I religiously read MD, Flex, and MuscleMag. While I love the mags I wish they offered up more training info and profiles about women. I know they're men's mags, but I would SOOOOOOOOOO subscribe infinitely to a magazine structured like Flex or MD but all about hardcore female training. I'd love to read about IFBB pro's roads to the Olympia, or their training and nutrition tips etc. I enjoy reading about the men, but I really wish there was something like that out there for women. I feel like we either get soccer mom bosu ball "do pushups with your baby" type magazines (Shape, Fitness, etc) or we're stuck dipping into the boy's mag stock (MD, Flex etc). There's no in between.

I agree...I like to read the oxygen mags during cardio for little things here and there....like the motivational/transformation stories...those are really cool to read during cardio....but as far as intense hard-core training....I think we do "grow-out" of their routines....I'm still very much a beginner so I still learn a few things from it, but have learned far more from RX and MD-In the trenches (sorrrryyy...new to RX so crossing over still, LOL).....

I think their estimate is 20-30 is pretty good for their 'average' audience....but yeh, turning into fat? I think its just important that they talk about portion control....

ANYWAYS..........why don't the smart beautiful women of rx muscle start to put together a mag??? RX Muscle Femme Fatal!????

Forum Leader: Rx Fight Club stephaniewicked's Avatar

This reminded me of a little story...

I was on an airplane flying back from Florida in August and as always when I fly, I had my little stock of mags in my carry-on to read on the way home.

I don't remember which one I was going through, but I was reading an interview with Cathy LeFrancois. The guy next to me who was not in good shape himself, turned to me and said "you know... I know I'm nothing to look at, but that's disgusting." *pointing to the magazine* I just looked at him and said "that's your opinion." and continued reading. People are so ignorant!

I would also subscribe if someone came out with an *actual* female bodybuilding magazine.
    "The gym is one of life's best arenas for building the toughest of men. Not because you learn to experience success, but because you've been forced to accept failure and identify your flaws."

I've read about 3 issues of Oxygen - usually when that was my only option. The only things I found interesting were the illustrations of different ways to work specific body parts, the covergirl section and the recipes. Other than that, it's crap just like all the other "hers" fitness mags.

There are WAY too many variables that come into play to just say x amount of grams is all you need. That is misleading and very irresponsible writing.

PENCILNECK

I stopped reading that crap when the trainer advised some woman writing in that she should do high reps and low weight in order to avoid getting 'bulky'. WTF? ! (She was worried that starting a weight training routine would turn her into Miss Olympia bodybuilder overnight...lol.)
    The woman's ignorance isnt so much the problem, it's the trainers neglect to correct the ignorance! !

Quote Originally Posted by stl50 View Post
    I stopped reading that crap when the trainer advised some woman writing in that she should do high reps and low weight in order to avoid getting 'bulky'. WTF? ! (She was worried that starting a weight training routine would turn her into Miss Olympia bodybuilder overnight...lol.)
    The woman's ignorance isnt so much the problem, it's the trainers neglect to correct the ignorance! !
    It's sad because - as a PT - I've said this until I was blue in the face and they just keep comin' at ya'. That and the fat free crap drives me crazy!

PENCILNECK

...But, if it's fat free, I can eat the whole thing, right? ? (and it's good for me) LOL!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12