Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Extensions

Angela123

Quote Originally Posted by Sistersteel View Post
    I can't find pricing anywhere Ondrea. Can you tell me how much you pay for a bundle of hair?

Do you think Dream Catchers is the way to go for people who want to add volume as well as length?? Or does it get ridiculously expensive?
    all depends on the stylist! some prefer to not charge per hour, so their bundles are more. some prefer to charge per hour, so the bundles r cheap. my stylist charges per hour, dream catchers were 200 a bundle...i went with 4. so 800 for hair, 200 (she charged 100 an hr) to take out my crappy great legnths hair extensions (they were so fucked, it took 2 hours) then 100 to put dream catchers in. 200 tip. so actually...1300. then upkeep is 100 every 8 wks.

but you can scratch the 200 if u dont have hair extensions that need to be taken out.

great lengths woman did not charge an hour...but her bundles were more. 400 a bundle. i used 3. so 1200 plus 150 tip.

so it evens out if they do or do not charge per hour.

volume...they hold volume well...just like real hair, volumizing products do wonders for it and with the right cut (layers, not just poker long and straight) they hold great volume. maybe add an extra bundle if u want extra volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondrea View Post
    all depends on the stylist! some prefer to not charge per hour, so their bundles are more. some prefer to charge per hour, so the bundles r cheap. my stylist charges per hour, dream catchers were 200 a bundle...i went with 4. so 800 for hair, 200 (she charged 100 an hr) to take out my crappy great legnths hair extensions (they were so fucked, it took 2 hours) then 100 to put dream catchers in. 200 tip. so actually...1300. then upkeep is 100 every 8 wks.

but you can scratch the 200 if u dont have hair extensions that need to be taken out.

great lengths woman did not charge an hour...but her bundles were more. 400 a bundle. i used 3. so 1200 plus 150 tip.

so it evens out if they do or do not charge per hour.

volume...they hold volume well...just like real hair, volumizing products do wonders for it and with the right cut (layers, not just poker long and straight) they hold great volume. maybe add an extra bundle if u want extra volume.
    I put in my zipcode on their website and found a few salons in my area that I am totally going to check out. I will have them quote me and see how much it is going cost. I was going to get my hair redone end of March for the show. I need to take out the ones I have in now and that cost me $300 last time because it was SO matted up at the scalp. It really hurt too to get all the knots out. So it was going to cost a little over $1000 to get it taken out and redone. So maybe I can just get the Dream Catchers done instead for a liltte more. I will post the quote when I get it. Thanks a ton Ondrea. Do you get your exntensions for length?

Angela123

yes for length. my hair is very very fine...and even more so after years of bleaching it and now after crappy hair extensions. it would never grow long. tho...now im a brunette...my natural...so that is nice...no more bleaching or upkeep of roots!

i wear it straight but when i go for the volume look...i can pull it off very nicely with these extensions. also, even tho my natural hair is very fine, it is not limp, ive always been able to get good volume with it. so im able to tease my natural hair on top (that is not covered by extensions) pretty well and then work my hair extensions into some volume as well and it all looks very good. let them know you care a lot about volume. im sure they will make sure you acheive that look.

yes, when i took my great lengths out, i had to go to the woman who put them in...so i dont know if the dream catchers girl will take yours out...doubt it. thankfully, it was done in all one day at the salon. the great lengths stylist actually knew the dream catchers stylist. so she came to the salon and took them out (about 2 hrs, $200) and then i went right into the chair to get my dream catchers on.

i was like, "i dont care what my hair looks like under neath (i didnt evn want to look..it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be)...just make sure i get new hair in that day! im not going out in public without my hair." lol. yes...i am vain. hair is very important to me. ill cut my budget on everything else if i have to save money for new hair. i re-evaluated my spending in the last few months. it is the only thing im allowing myself to splurge on.

its been a year now since ive had strand by strand extensions put in. i havent been without hair since then! i got great lengths in about this time last year, got them taken out in june then got dream catchers in.
    Last edited by Angela123; 02-26-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Angela123

another point...

when u mentioned horrible matting...if u make sure to go every 6-8 wks, this should not happen. hence why they last so long. yes, you may feel some small matting, but when you go for upkeep, she takes them out and puts them all back in again..and if she sees matting, she combs it out. takes about an hour.

this is also good if you feel like switching up your hair color. you can buy new pieces, have her take some out and attach new ones in, if you want high or low lights. then save your old pieces and put them in later on if you want to go back to your old color. bc even tho u can dye these, its best not to. or even if u want to change your whole head and wear a new color, you can always save your old pieces and have her attach them back on late on.

yes for length. my hair is very very fine...and even more so after years of bleaching it and now after crappy hair extensions. it would never grow long. tho...now im a brunette...my natural...so that is nice...no more bleaching or upkeep of roots!

i wear it straight but when i go for the volume look...i can pull it off very nicely with these extensions. also, even tho my natural hair is very fine, it is not limp, ive always been able to get good volume with it. so im able to tease my natural hair on top (that is not covered by extensions) pretty well and then work my hair extensions into some volume as well and it all looks very good. let them know you care a lot about volume. im sure they will make sure you acheive that look.

yes, when i took my great lengths out, i had to go to the woman who put them in...so i dont know if the dream catchers girl will take yours out...doubt it. thankfully, it was done in all one day at the salon. the great lengths stylist actually knew the dream catchers stylist. so she came to the salon and took them out (about 2 hrs, $200) and then i went right into the chair to get my dream catchers on.

i was like, "i dont care what my hair looks like under neath (i didnt evn want to look..it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be)...just make sure i get new hair in that day! im not going out in public without my hair." lol. yes...i am vain. hair is very important to me. ill cut my budget on everything else if i have to save money for new hair. i re-evaluated my spending in the last few months. it is the only thing im allowing myself to splurge on.

its been a year now since ive had strand by strand extensions put in. i havent been without hair since then! i got great lengths in about this time last year, got them taken out in june then got dream catchers in.
    I hear you. I have a pic under my journal where you can clearly see how thick and curly my natural hair is. I will post up some pictures of the extensions I have in right now. The way I feel is directly linked to my hair as well. So believe me I know the naked feeling without the extensions in.
    I am stoked about this. Plus if you think about it, getting the dream catchers will save me money in the long run so I can fork it out now and not worry about it later. You know I have 3 different colors in my hair right now. I have red, black and blond. Another reason it costs me so much because I have to buy boxes of different colors. I LOVE red hair and it looks great on me because I have olive skin. So maybe I should just dye my own hair a single color first and then get some red hair put in. Or does it not matter? Can they just dye the whole thing once its in?

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

eh - I cut my hair short this year so won't have to worry about it for a while, but the dreamcatcher hair sounds very cool.

Angela123

actually...with dreamcatchers...my stylist has had many women with a pixie cuts (not a buzz) get them. as long as there is some hair to attach to the strand, you are good to go.

Angela123

I hear you. I have a pic under my journal where you can clearly see how thick and curly my natural hair is. I will post up some pictures of the extensions I have in right now. The way I feel is directly linked to my hair as well. So believe me I know the naked feeling without the extensions in.
    I am stoked about this. Plus if you think about it, getting the dream catchers will save me money in the long run so I can fork it out now and not worry about it later. You know I have 3 different colors in my hair right now. I have red, black and blond. Another reason it costs me so much because I have to buy boxes of different colors. I LOVE red hair and it looks great on me because I have olive skin. So maybe I should just dye my own hair a single color first and then get some red hair put in. Or does it not matter? Can they just dye the whole thing once its in?
    yes they can dye them. i used to have platinum white hair... i added carmel low lights then gradually dyed most of my head a dishwater blond. then went completley dark..a dark chocolate.

tho i wil say i ended up just forking over money for all new brand hair that was brown. the dye took well, but after a while, it did start to fade.

ill post pix. give me some time.

yes they can dye them. i used to have platinum white hair... i added carmel low lights then gradually dyed most of my head a dishwater blond. then went completley dark..a dark chocolate.

tho i wil say i ended up just forking over money for all new brand hair that was brown. the dye took well, but after a while, it did start to fade.

ill post pix. give me some time.

Would love to see some pics! I found a pic of my current extensions. This picture was take when I first got it done 4 weeks ago. This is a new head.
    You can see the colors and volume relative to my hair in the pics on my journal.

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok well it looks terribly messy there. Didn't realize it until I posted it. But you get the idea.

PENCILNECK

Do you ladies ever get them? Do you get them for events or do you like to sport them for months at a time?

Reason I ask is because I am totally hooked on them. But they cost me a fortune and they are very hard to maintain. I get the synthetic because is it more affordable. I can get a full head and add lots of volume and length for under $1000 if I use synthetic hair. If I were to get a full head of human hair and have it as thick and full as the synthetic, It would cost me about $6000...and they only last 6 months.

So I decided that If I was going to make getting them more affordable, I was going to have to find a way to actually buy the hair myself. My salon sells me one box of hair for $40 and I usually use about 6 boxes. But they recently told me that the only brand of synthetic they use is the one they carry. So there goes that idea...
    well if you live near MS you can get a whole head full of human fused extensions for right at 1000 bucks....the jessica simpson human pieces (not synthetic) are a little pricier but work well...i have thin hair and my advice is to take it to your hair stylist and have her color it to match your hair...then have her show you how to put it in, and fix your hair around it...

Angela123

no...i love it! i love the tousled messy look. very sexy. i love, love, love the colors. it looks hot!

wait...your hair in your pix in your journal...is that real? you have a lot of it. it looks good natural. if not, those extensions look much shorter, correct?

what u must remeber..you get synthetic, right? natural hair strands will not be as thick and coarse..so you will have to get an extra bundle imo if you want a thicker volume look.

but dream catchers...will sure give you the length...i sais i would keep mine long but ended up trimming a tad off..i cant do super duper long.

no...i love it! i love the tousled messy look. very sexy. i love, love, love the colors. it looks hot!

wait...your hair in your pix in your journal...is that real? you have a lot of it. it looks good natural. if not, those extensions look much shorter, correct?

what u must remeber..you get synthetic, right? natural hair strands will not be as thick and coarse..so you will have to get an extra bundle imo if you want a thicker volume look.

but dream catchers...will sure give you the length...i sais i would keep mine long but ended up trimming a tad off..i cant do super duper long.
    Really you like it?
    Here I found another one with my hubby!

Yup! the pictures in my journal, that is my hair. My Natural hair is curly as hell and very thick. Definitely my ethnic heritage. If I wash my hair and not brush it, I have a fro! literally. BIG AND CURLY. Can be cute on a smaller face, But I have a big face so I need hair that softens my features up a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Angela123

u know...ive been thinking. im willing to bet your hair will cost lots more than mine. you have LOTS thicker hair than me and im sure it is more coarse as well...to get the type of volume you want and to make sure it flows well with your hair..im sure you will have to buy more bundles. i dont have a lot of hair so i dont need to get a whole lot...but sinvr you have a lot of hair, you might need to get more.

and you are so damn hot. i love those two pix you posted. you and husband are a very good looking couple. i love your hair.

u know...ive been thinking. im willing to bet your hair will cost lots more than mine. you have LOTS thicker hair than me and im sure it is more coarse as well...to get the type of volume you want and to make sure it flows well with your hair..im sure you will have to buy more bundles. i dont have a lot of hair so i dont need to get a whole lot...but sinvr you have a lot of hair, you might need to get more.

and you are so damn hot. i love those two pix you posted. you and husband are a very good looking couple. i love your hair.
    I am going to take a drive to one of the salons and see how much they quote me for a head that looks like what I got now. I am glad you like the pics. Certainly not very fancy ones but more random everyday shots.

YOUR profile pic on the other hand is..delicious

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast