Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DOUCHEBAG

Exclamation Shogun is the NEW!...

most screwed over fighter in MMA today.

Can anyone explain to me how the hell Machida won the decision?

Shogun continually attacked, landed more strikes, and controlled the fight.

Biggest bag of bullshit I've seen in a while.

In my eyes Shogun is the NEW Light Heavyweight Champion!

Your thoughts?

They must have been scoring Machida's counters to the head much higher than Rua's leg kicks. That's the only thing I can come up with. I'm blown away right now. I had it 49-46 Rua.

DOUCHEBAG

I really don't get it. Craziness

I had Shogun winning every round except the 3rd, and easily winning those rounds. Machida really did nothing even worthy of mention, and even he knew he was handed a gift.

DOUCHEBAG

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
    I had Shogun winning every round except the 3rd, and easily winning those rounds. Machida really did nothing even worthy of mention, and even he knew he was handed a gift.
    Yeah, no shit. He looked like he had just won the lottery. Well, it was a hell of a gift.

I feel bad for Shogun not only because he didnt get the belt, but because his contract is probably like many others and half his salary is probably based on winning the fight.

DOUCHEBAG

Machida is so "elusive" the judges can even touch him. I really am pissed. I'm a Machida fan, but Shogun clearly won.

NGA Pro

Quote Originally Posted by firsthorseman97 View Post
    They must have been scoring Machida's counters to the head much higher than Rua's leg kicks. That's the only thing I can come up with. I'm blown away right now. I had it 49-46 Rua.
    I concur. I am pretty upset along with 99% of the LA crowd here tonight...Rua won tonight hands down.
    Feel bad for him and the work he did to get here
    Detonate

PENCILNECK

I had shogun winning too !

Banned

Worst decision in MMA history, fuck everyone involved in fixing this bullshit!

Forum Leader: Rx Fight Club stephaniewicked's Avatar

I couldn't believe they gave it to Machida... even he didn't think he won. The look of disappointment on his face before Buffer announced the official results and then the surprised "holy shxt!" look when he won was night and day. I feel for Shogun... He really deserved that.
    "The gym is one of life's best arenas for building the toughest of men. Not because you learn to experience success, but because you've been forced to accept failure and identify your flaws."

It's very sad that Shogun lost. I do not for the life of me know what the judges were thinking. The saying of "You have to beat the champ to be the champ" is pretty much a load of shit in my eyes.
    Look, Shogun kicked the shit out of Machida, literally. In round 2, he kicked the guy's legs and ribs so hard, it left a footprint on Machida's ribs. How would that slogan fit into that round? Please tell me? "Well, Shogun didn't make it look like he hurt him bad enough to KO him, although he clearly won the round, he didn't "beat the champ" so we have to give it to Machida. It's a bullshit statement, and a bullshit thought to even have in the sport.
    My advice to the UFC is to not go back to LA. The crowd for the most part sucked, the judges clearly sucked, and its a terrible venue.
    Machida knows he lost the fight, clearly. He will not say, "I won the fight." He keeps resorting back to, "All 3 judges scored the fight for me." I really hope to see a rematch. I'm going to be interested in how the UFC handles this.

Forum Leader: Rx Fight Club stephaniewicked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plates View Post
    I really hope to see a rematch. I'm going to be interested in how the UFC handles this.
    Dana has already confirmed that they both agreed to a re-match.

From mmajunkie.com...

Dana White: "I think there will be a rematch" between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua
    by John Morgan on Oct 25, 2009 at 5:05 am ET

LOS ANGELES – Never one to bite his tongue, UFC president Dana White didn't take long to express his feelings on the main event of Saturday night's "UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun" in Los Angeles.

"I thought 'Shogun' won the fight," White said as UFC 104's post-fight press conference opened.

White was just as displeased as most fans in attendance at Staples Center, as well as the majority of viewers at home, that champion Lyoto Machida was awarded a unanimous-decision win over challenger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. But unlike the rest of those complaining, White can schedule a rematch – and it looks like he will.

"I think there will be a rematch," White said. "I talked to both of them, and they both agreed to a rematch."

The five round affair between Machida and Rua proved difficult to score. With both fighters remaining patient while picking and choosing their shots, neither outright claimed any of the frames. White said that's a behavior that needs to change moving forward.

"One of the things I always tell these guys is 'You can't leave it in the hands of the judges,'" White said. "You just can't do it. But at the end of every round, neither one of the guys went after it. Neither guy tried to steal the round.

"You saw it a lot in boxing – and these guys have got to learn it in MMA – is when that 30 seconds is left, go after it and try to steal that round. Neither one of them did it throughout the fight."

It was that inability to steal rounds that led to the hotly disputed decision. But while White claimed he felt Rua earned the win, the UFC exec admitted the rounds were close.

"When you go round-by-round and you score the fight, I actually had Machida winning the fight up until the third round," White said. "The first round could have gone either way. I gave the second and third to Machida. And then I gave the fourth and fifth to 'Shogun.' Assuming that 'Shogun' won the first, fourth and fifth, he wins the fight.

"I knew it was going to be a tough one. I knew it was going to be strategic. It was everything I thought it would be, except they should have pressed more and gone after it at the end of the rounds and tried to really pull out the rounds and make it easier to score. It was a tough fight to score."

White said he would have to figure out when a rematch could take place, but he think it should be the next fight for each competitor. And White said his motivation for scheduling a rematch has as much to with his desires as a fan as much as his concerns as a businessman.

"That's me the fight fan (and) the businessman," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Whatever you want to call me, I want to see this fight again."
    "The gym is one of life's best arenas for building the toughest of men. Not because you learn to experience success, but because you've been forced to accept failure and identify your flaws."

DOUCHEBAG

Default Dana comments and rematch

D. Mandel/Sherdog.com

In a night where discrepancy won out, there was one thing UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, and UFC president Dana White could all agree upon: a rematch between the two Brazilians, who came to blows at UFC 104 Saturday in Los Angeles, is in order.

Machida earned a unanimous decision over Rua in a cerebral tug-of-war that saw both give and take damage in controlled bursts through five rounds.

Judges Cecil Peoples and Marcos Rosales both awarded Machida the first three rounds and gave Rua the final two. Judge Nelson “Doc” Hamilton scored rounds one and five for Rua, but gave Machida the middle rounds. Scores were united at 48-47 in Machida’s favor.

Gauging by reaction, it seemed a majority of the crowd inside the Staples Center, as well as fans watching the live pay-per-view, disagreed with the final tallies. Internet boards swelled with reaction for Rua minutes after the decision was read.

Rua did better than anyone has ever fared against the karate-bred Machida, who’d never dropped a round in the UFC until Saturday. An aggressive, impulsive striker in the past, the one-time Pride grand prix champion reigned in his arsenal and was especially effective with a right body kick, which marked up Machida’s side and seemed to stifle his explosive counter-attacks.

“I thought ‘Shogun’ won the fight,” said White at the post-fight press conference.

White said he’d scored rounds one, four, and five for Rua and that the promotion already planned to schedule an “immediate rematch.” White added that he’d already gotten verbal commitments from both fighters.

Rua, who knocked out Chuck Liddell last April to earn a shot at the 205-pound title, said he was pleased with his performance, but “disheartened” by the results.

“In my opinion, I thought I’d won the last three rounds,” he said through his manager and translator Eduardo Alonso. “My cornermen told me I was winning the fight. Everybody that has spoke to me after the fight has told me the same thing, that they thought that I won.”

White was as perplexed by the judges’ decision as Rua and his team.

“Everybody can watch a fight and look and see when momentum turns and when guys are landing more,” said White. “I just don’t see how these guys don’t see what everybody else sees.”

Only Machida, who arrived to the conference later, stood by the decision.

“There’s three judges and all three judges had a unanimous decision that (I) won the fight,” said Machida through his manager and translator Ed Soares. “(I) wasn’t the one who called the fight. The judges were.”

Still, Machida didn’t protest a second meeting.

“Of course,” said Machida. “If the UFC decides we should have a rematch, then let’s have a rematch.”

Turning to the controversial judging, White was resolute for improvement.

“It drives me crazy when these guys put so much time and work and effort into these fights, going out there and fighting like that, and then not getting the right call,” said White. “But the answer is yes. We’re working hard to try and get better referees and get better judging and make sure that this doesn’t happen. It’s disappointing.”

White’s only criticism for the fighters was that they’d let their fates fall in the judges’ hands.

“At the end of every round, neither guy went after it,” said White. “Neither guy tried to steal the round. Machida’s the champ and the judges gave it to Machida tonight.”

Machida, who has booed in the Octagon as the belt was strapped around his waist, promised a better performance in the rematch.

“I was 100 percent, but sometimes when you get in there your strategy doesn’t always work like you planned it to,” he said. “I would have liked to perform better, but it happens sometimes. I’m going to go home and watch the fight and when we fight again I’ll have a different plan and strategy.”

Rua, who said he’d studied Machida’s fights with his team for five months, also saw opportunity for improvement.

“I just didn’t press the action (in the last round) so much because I thought I was winning and there was no reason to take risks,” said Rua. “I think for the rematch I would train the same way, because I felt like it was a good thing.”

White said the jeers that followed the final curtain were all he needed to make his decision.

“I’m ready to make the rematch as fast as we can and I think that the second fight will be the fight we expected to see,” said White. “I think they’re both going to come in and not make the same mistakes they made in this first fight. They’re going to come in and each one’s going to try and win decisively.”

DOUCHEBAG

Everyone, even Dana White thinks that decision is bullshit. Time to get some better judges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast