Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Woke up with no increase in pain. Its more localized. Brusing is still a pale blue. Like a painful garbanzo bean. I can almost get two finger tips round it.
    Strange....

Baldie
    MY MIND & BODY ARE AT ONE WITH MY POWER & STRENGTH............JM

Quote Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post
    Woke up with no increase in pain. Its more localized. Brusing is still a pale blue. Like a painful garbanzo bean. I can almost get two finger tips round it.
    Strange....

Baldie
    Sounds like a small tear/herniation. It's a good sign you had no further pain or swelling this morning. Probably not much you can do for it besides continue to ice until the pain and discoloration goes away. I still have a couple of little bumps on my calf muscles from past minor herniations.

Thanx...I posted this rather than phone you should the injury/healing be info for our brothers.

Baldie

The bruise is now 3" in diam. and spreading.

Baldie

The bruise is now 3" in diam. and spreading.

Baldie
    You may have a blood vessel that has ruptured, even if only slightly. I had a major tear of my left gastroc that I sustained in a judo match. After the match, I only noticed a moderate "bump" on my calf. However, I had ruptured a blood vessel and within 5 minutes my entire calf was swollen to double it's normal size. Obviously, you didn't sustain that same type of blood vessel rupture, however you may have some type of tear of the muscle with a small tear in a vessel. I would have your doc take a look at it. Probably not much they will do with it because these things will just heal on their own. However, always better to be safe then sorry. Keep me posted.

I see Doc in a week or so when I get back from L.A. Until then no calf work.

Baldie

Bingo. Ruptured blood vessel. Saw the Doc this morning. Said wrapped knees and big poundages and 70 year old vascular system...."Guess which gives out first?".

Baldie

I have had periodic pain just above my elbow on the outside of my arm since March or so. Sometimes when I bend my arms I feel it, sometimes I don't. I recently attributed it to tight forearms, and had the massage therapist really work it Friday. It's hurting again tonight. So I started remembering how I thought clean and press back in March started it off. But I haven't done them since late April. Tonight the lightbulb came on. Dumbbells! Back in March I also did heavy farmers' walks! Since then I've been doing db lunges, not as heavy, but still the same strain. Probably other exercises were straining the same area.

If this is the case then I need to figure out what's damaged and what to do/avoid. I can switch to bb lunges. I don't know what else I should alter. No exercise has ever invoked the pain while I'm in the gym to any great extent. It's far more noticeable later on. Right now it's kind of a stinging pain.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    I have had periodic pain just above my elbow on the outside of my arm since March or so. Sometimes when I bend my arms I feel it, sometimes I don't. I recently attributed it to tight forearms, and had the massage therapist really work it Friday. It's hurting again tonight. So I started remembering how I thought clean and press back in March started it off. But I haven't done them since late April. Tonight the lightbulb came on. Dumbbells! Back in March I also did heavy farmers' walks! Since then I've been doing db lunges, not as heavy, but still the same strain. Probably other exercises were straining the same area.

If this is the case then I need to figure out what's damaged and what to do/avoid. I can switch to bb lunges. I don't know what else I should alter. No exercise has ever invoked the pain while I'm in the gym to any great extent. It's far more noticeable later on. Right now it's kind of a stinging pain.

Any thoughts?
    Usually if the pain is more noticeable after training, it is tendonitis. Once warmed-up, you can usually train without much discomfort (on most movements). It has been my experience, that there are usually certain exercises that aggravate the area while training. Most, you won't feel anything. Therefore, the ones that blatantly aggravate, you need to skip until the inflammation goes away. In regards to treatment, ice down after every workout for 20 minutes (it really works so do it!). Also I find ultrasound therapy effective on the area, as well as certain Active Release Techniques. (I cleared up my training partners elbow pain in 5 minutes last week with some Active Release.

These types of problems are nagging and there is no exact answer. Just let pain be your guide while training. It will do you no good to perform any exercises that aggravate it even slightly. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by joedemarco View Post
    Usually if the pain is more noticeable after training, it is tendonitis. Once warmed-up, you can usually train without much discomfort (on most movements). It has been my experience, that there are usually certain exercises that aggravate the area while training. Most, you won't feel anything. Therefore, the ones that blatantly aggravate, you need to skip until the inflammation goes away. In regards to treatment, ice down after every workout for 20 minutes (it really works so do it!). Also I find ultrasound therapy effective on the area, as well as certain Active Release Techniques. (I cleared up my training partners elbow pain in 5 minutes last week with some Active Release.

These types of problems are nagging and there is no exact answer. Just let pain be your guide while training. It will do you no good to perform any exercises that aggravate it even slightly. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.
    Thanks Joe. Pullups tonight didn't seem to aggravate it so I think I may be on to something with farmers' walk and lunges. I'm kind of surprised db shrugs didn't bother it either but I do those with my arms slightly bent.

Tendonitis eh? Had enough of that in my shoulders. Blech.

Thanks Joe. Pullups tonight didn't seem to aggravate it so I think I may be on to something with farmers' walk and lunges. I'm kind of surprised db shrugs didn't bother it either but I do those with my arms slightly bent.

Tendonitis eh? Had enough of that in my shoulders. Blech.
    You may want to give one of those forearm straps a try that they sell for tennis elbow. It applies pressure to the area while working out. Sometimes they don't help at all but other times they can make a big difference. It's worth a shot. They are pretty cheap and you can pick it up at any drug store.

OK Joe here is a good one to ponder. My 'ruptured blood vessel' is 90% gone. What is left is a visable detachment of the calf away from the shin bone as seen from the front. Something more tramatic than anyone of us imagined happened. Not a bad thing visualy mind you. If both calf muscles had this 'cut' it would be better.

Baldie

OK Joe here is a good one to ponder. My 'ruptured blood vessel' is 90% gone. What is left is a visable detachment of the calf away from the shin bone as seen from the front. Something more tramatic than anyone of us imagined happened. Not a bad thing visualy mind you. If both calf muscles had this 'cut' it would be better.

Baldie
    Does the detachment look like a small bubble or is it more of a line running down the shin? The little bubble type detachments are pretty common, especially in the shin region.

Line running down the shin. Again if it were both it would be cool. BTW zero pain during leg/calf today.

Line running down the shin. Again if it were both it would be cool. BTW zero pain during leg/calf today.
    That's really interesting. Don't really see that type of thing to often. Glad the pain has resolved and you can train without any nagging discomfort.

RX MEMBER

I need advice real bad.

For years I had stiff necks. Bout year ago it got real bad and made my left arm numb so I went to a chiropractor. He did xrays then explained them to me comparing mine to a normal one. I know there are some compressed dics. He showed me normal ones that has a gray space and mine don't have that. He then did an adjustment, told me to relax then a quick jerk and I heard this loud crack and it freaked me out. Then I laid on an ice pack for a while.

He wanted me to come back three times a week for $25 each but I couldn;t afford all that so I never went back. It then subsided.

I also went to a regular ortho doctor who wanted me to go for PT.

It subsided and now its back. It was bothering me a few days ago, then yesterday I trained back and after that I was in excruciating pain all day at work. I took vicodin left from my pacemaker surgery it made me sleep but did nothing for the pain. After being in bed a few hours it finally subsided now that I'm up its coming back.

I don't know what to do. If I go to ER they will xray it but not sure they can do anything about it. Or can they give me some muscle relaxants. Or do I wait and go back to the chiropractor and explain to him my situation. I can probably do once a week with him. But still the cracking freaks me out.

Please help.

Vito

RX MEMBER

I take it no workouts and would a heating pad work.

Thanks Vito

Quote Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
    I need advice real bad.

For years I had stiff necks. Bout year ago it got real bad and made my left arm numb so I went to a chiropractor. He did xrays then explained them to me comparing mine to a normal one. I know there are some compressed dics. He showed me normal ones that has a gray space and mine don't have that. He then did an adjustment, told me to relax then a quick jerk and I heard this loud crack and it freaked me out. Then I laid on an ice pack for a while.

He wanted me to come back three times a week for $25 each but I couldn;t afford all that so I never went back. It then subsided.

I also went to a regular ortho doctor who wanted me to go for PT.

It subsided and now its back. It was bothering me a few days ago, then yesterday I trained back and after that I was in excruciating pain all day at work. I took vicodin left from my pacemaker surgery it made me sleep but did nothing for the pain. After being in bed a few hours it finally subsided now that I'm up its coming back.

I don't know what to do. If I go to ER they will xray it but not sure they can do anything about it. Or can they give me some muscle relaxants. Or do I wait and go back to the chiropractor and explain to him my situation. I can probably do once a week with him. But still the cracking freaks me out.

Please help.

Vito
    It sounds like you had developed a situation in your neck that the chiropractor felt required "corrective care", which is why he recommended seeing you three times per week. Often, restoring normal spinal motion and alignment requires aggressive treatment such as that. In regards to the adjustment ("cracking"), if it didn't feel comfortable, just look around for another chiropractor. They all use different techniques, some more gentle then others.

If this neck problem is causing you as much trouble/pain as it sounds, I would really do everything you can to commit to getting it fixed. If that means coming up with $75/week, I would do it. It sounds like it can be fixed, so why suffer?

In the meantime, utilize wet heat (20 min on/20 min off), and over the counter Motrin (if your stomach can tolerate). Other then that, it sounds like you require some type of formal therapy, whether it be chiropractic or physical therapy.

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

RX MEMBER

I was just diagnosed with Distal Clavicle Osteolysis...MY shoulder near the AC joint is still inflamed and painful and my left trap is noticably smaller...Any advice? I'm trying to avoid surgery at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddinWC View Post
    I was just diagnosed with Distal Clavicle Osteolysis...MY shoulder near the AC joint is still inflamed and painful and my left trap is noticably smaller...Any advice? I'm trying to avoid surgery at all costs.
    What have you been doing for therapy over the past couple of months?

RX MEMBER

What have you been doing for therapy over the past couple of months?
    I've been avoiding all movements that exacerbate the inflammation and rubbing against the acromion i.e push movements....I haven't taken any time off.....I have been icing after i workout but compliance is shitty...

I've been avoiding all movements that exacerbate the inflammation and rubbing against the acromion i.e push movements....I haven't taken any time off.....I have been icing after i workout but compliance is shitty...
    I would get involved in a pretty aggressive therapy program for several weeks to see if it helps. Didn't your doctor refer you? Therapy would be your best bet if you are trying to avoid surgery. Usually if therapy is unsuccessful, surgery is the alternative for that condition. Therefore, I would do all you can, therapy wise, to resolve this problem. It is highly unlikely that it will go away on its own with just home therapy (i.e. icing after training, over-the-counter anti inflammatories, etc.).

RX MEMBER

I would get involved in a pretty aggressive therapy program for several weeks to see if it helps. Didn't your doctor refer you? Therapy would be your best bet if you are trying to avoid surgery. Usually if therapy is unsuccessful, surgery is the alternative for that condition. Therefore, I would do all you can, therapy wise, to resolve this problem. It is highly unlikely that it will go away on its own with just home therapy (i.e. icing after training, over-the-counter anti inflammatories, etc.).

nope...i think the doc just didn't recommend therapy just by judging my physique and thinking that i knew what i was doing...fuck...this upsets me

nope...i think the doc just didn't recommend therapy just by judging my physique and thinking that i knew what i was doing...fuck...this upsets me
    See if you can get in to see an orthopedic doctor to evaluate your shoulder. They are more likely to refer for physical therapy as opposed to your primary care doctor.

RX MEMBER

I did see an orthopedist...he said it was "reversible" although are there any ways to remineralize my shoulders????

I did see an orthopedist...he said it was "reversible" although are there any ways to remineralize my shoulders????
    Distal clavicle osteolysis is thought to be reversible in some cases. Usually over 4-6 months with rest (or activity modification), ice, and anti-inflammatory meds you can get some re-mineralization of the bone. There really isn't anything else you can do to help the mineralization process. It is the type of injury that you more or less have to be patient with. Formal therapy (physical therapy) would also be of some help to reduce pain and help the healing process. If no re-mineralization occurs, they usually opt for surgery, especially if the area remains painful.

You could also add in some vitamins and minerals into your therapy. Try increasing your calcium (along with an increase in magnesium) and D3. Minerals such as silica and boron are important too.

Try to reduce your caffeine intake since in can leach calcium from the bones. You may also want to try reducing your meat intake because meats create uric acid in the joints.

All of these little things can help to a certain extent.

RX MEMBER

Distal clavicle osteolysis is thought to be reversible in some cases. Usually over 4-6 months with rest (or activity modification), ice, and anti-inflammatory meds you can get some re-mineralization of the bone. There really isn't anything else you can do to help the mineralization process. It is the type of injury that you more or less have to be patient with. Formal therapy (physical therapy) would also be of some help to reduce pain and help the healing process. If no re-mineralization occurs, they usually opt for surgery, especially if the area remains painful.

You could also add in some vitamins and minerals into your therapy. Try increasing your calcium (along with an increase in magnesium) and D3. Minerals such as silica and boron are important too.

Try to reduce your caffeine intake since in can leach calcium from the bones. You may also want to try reducing your meat intake because meats create uric acid in the joints.

All of these little things can help to a certain extent.
    great post...I was going to ask about supplementation..I will add in some calcium and d3...i already take silica, msm chondroiton and glucosamine, fish oil, etc...

Out of curiousity...what causes demineralization of the bone? is it the osteoclasts? and what exactly is demineralization?

Hey Joe - how long would you recommend staying off a sprained ankle in the weight room. Doesn;t hurt that much but it swollen as fuk! and I cant train calves and it fuks with my balance on squats cause it's tight.

thanks

subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by leanbody View Post
    Hey Joe - how long would you recommend staying off a sprained ankle in the weight room. Doesn;t hurt that much but it swollen as fuk! and I cant train calves and it fuks with my balance on squats cause it's tight.

thanks
    Just let pain be your guide. As long as it's only a sprain, it is safe to train on it. You may want to wrap it prior to training. The wrapping may help stabilize the joint and help the balance issue you are having with the squats.

Also, keep icing it down every day if it swollen and discolored. If no improvement, get an x-ray of it.

Hey Joe here I go again....look at pic on my thread.

Baldie

Hey Joe here I go again....look at pic on my thread.

Baldie
    Just saw it....What the f--k, Bill? LOL. You must be training like an animal to do this to yourself. I can't tell from the pic, but do you have swelling in the area? Any pain on movement?

It appears to just be some blood vessel rupturing (probably have some micro tears in the fascia/muscle fibers also). It doesn't sound like a full blown muscle tear.

Keep icing today (20 on/20 off). You never want to apply heat to a rupture.

Let me know how you make out over the next couple of days.

Ok Joe, I've got more tendonitis woes. My shoulders have been a problem off and on for years. Not worried about them. This tennis elbow stuff in both arms is annoying at times. The bands are helping. It has gotten a bit better from the bands. Now it's my hands. Pain, mild swelling, rings get tight, grip suffers... it's mostly a problem in the evening and the morning but can pop up anytime. Sooo aside from taking time off of the gym (ain't going to happen for this), taking Motrin and quercetin/bromelain, stretching, and massages what else can I do? Would a spell of lighter weight higher rep upper body workouts make a difference? Or will it even matter as the tendons will be stressed no matter what weight I use.

Thankfully my lower body is fine (runs to knock on wood).

Ok Joe, I've got more tendonitis woes. My shoulders have been a problem off and on for years. Not worried about them. This tennis elbow stuff in both arms is annoying at times. The bands are helping. It has gotten a bit better from the bands. Now it's my hands. Pain, mild swelling, rings get tight, grip suffers... it's mostly a problem in the evening and the morning but can pop up anytime. Sooo aside from taking time off of the gym (ain't going to happen for this), taking Motrin and quercetin/bromelain, stretching, and massages what else can I do? Would a spell of lighter weight higher rep upper body workouts make a difference? Or will it even matter as the tendons will be stressed no matter what weight I use.

Thankfully my lower body is fine (runs to knock on wood).
    Sorry to hear about all of the upper body woes, Freebird. I know how aggravating it can be.

As you were describing some of your symptoms, I started wondering if you have some signs/onset of carpal tunnnel? Are you at a desk/computer all day at work? If so, make sure you are taking frequent (every 30-60 minutes) breaks and stretch out the hands, wrist, shoulders, etc.

The other thing I have found helpful for people with hands/wrist/elbow symptoms like yours, is to perform frequent high rep movements with a piece of rubber tubing. Sit down, step on one end of the tube, and hold the other end in your hand. Have your wrist braced on your knee. Then go through all wrist ranges of motion (flexion, extension, inversion, and eversion). (With eversion, you have to hold the other end of the rube in your other hand.) Do these 2-3 times per day with lots of stretching.

Over the next week or so, try to analyze your work and training activities. See if you can pin point anything that could be aggravating the hands/wrist. Let me know how you make out.

RX MEMBER

Hey doc , Merry Christmas . Last year i pulled a muscle in my glutes and had it rehabilitated. I remember you telling me that the numbness i was getting in that leg might be from scar tissue breaking or building (forgot which) . Well i injured the same muscle again. Anyways, i have the same symptoms but when my leg starts to go dead , i feel it down in my foot and toes. Could this be sciatica? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by supbro! View Post
    Hey doc , Merry Christmas . Last year i pulled a muscle in my glutes and had it rehabilitated. I remember you telling me that the numbness i was getting in that leg might be from scar tissue breaking or building (forgot which) . Well i injured the same muscle again. Anyways, i have the same symptoms but when my leg starts to go dead , i feel it down in my foot and toes. Could this be sciatica? Thanks in advance.
    Sciatica is typically pain radiating down the back of the leg (typically one leg). Often times, it has been my experience, that people with sciatica have minimal back pain (although the cause of the sciatica stems from the lumbar nerve roots).

Where you experiencing the leg going "dead" last year? In particular, down to your toes/foot? I would get it checked out by your doctor ASAP to be on the safe side.

Default Back/Shoulder blade pain...

Doc, first I just want to thank you for taking our questions/problems. It is very much appreciated. I've been training for 17 years now with no major breaks in training. I have managed to stay mostly injury free over the years, some minor aches here and there but have always adjusted my training and/or taken time off from certain bodyparts if I felt the need. Okay...enough about my history...

About 15 months ago I developed pain in my mid/right upper back almost in my shoulder blade area. It was very slow at first, no major trauma or anything like that. It just came on slowly and over time got very bad/painful. It never hurts during training of any kind and actually seems to hurt most after I go running. (I'm military so I have to run 3 times a week, so quitting running is not an option.) It also hurts when I rest my arm such us using a mouse or an armrest in a chair but feels fine if I let my arm hang naturally. I hope that makes sense??? Last year when it started I went to the doc and he gave me a muscle relaxer and referred me to a PT doc. The PT doc said I had a pretty bad knot in my back (rhomboid area) and she used direct pressure to work out the knot and then followed it with ice for 20 minutes. I did this for about 6 weeks and eventually the pain was gone. She also showed me how to use a tennis ball to apply direct pressure myself if I ever needed. I resumed full back training (Jan/Feb) and was great for the past 10-11 months. Then out of the blue it started hurting again.

I don't really want to go in for another visit but I'm afraid I will likely have to. I can't seem to figure out if any particular exercise causes it and I can train just fine but it sure aches the next day. I've been using a heating pad at bedtime lately and that seems to help as well. I can never get the tennis ball to "release" the way the PT doc could so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Whatever she did worked like magic. It hurt like hell when she first would apply pressure and then I could literally feel the muscle let go and relax and it was heavenly. Haha.

I'm really just curious on your thoughts and wondered if you have ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks again for your time. Have a happy new year!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay S. View Post
    Doc, first I just want to thank you for taking our questions/problems. It is very much appreciated. I've been training for 17 years now with no major breaks in training. I have managed to stay mostly injury free over the years, some minor aches here and there but have always adjusted my training and/or taken time off from certain bodyparts if I felt the need. Okay...enough about my history...

About 15 months ago I developed pain in my mid/right upper back almost in my shoulder blade area. It was very slow at first, no major trauma or anything like that. It just came on slowly and over time got very bad/painful. It never hurts during training of any kind and actually seems to hurt most after I go running. (I'm military so I have to run 3 times a week, so quitting running is not an option.) It also hurts when I rest my arm such us using a mouse or an armrest in a chair but feels fine if I let my arm hang naturally. I hope that makes sense??? Last year when it started I went to the doc and he gave me a muscle relaxer and referred me to a PT doc. The PT doc said I had a pretty bad knot in my back (rhomboid area) and she used direct pressure to work out the knot and then followed it with ice for 20 minutes. I did this for about 6 weeks and eventually the pain was gone. She also showed me how to use a tennis ball to apply direct pressure myself if I ever needed. I resumed full back training (Jan/Feb) and was great for the past 10-11 months. Then out of the blue it started hurting again.

I don't really want to go in for another visit but I'm afraid I will likely have to. I can't seem to figure out if any particular exercise causes it and I can train just fine but it sure aches the next day. I've been using a heating pad at bedtime lately and that seems to help as well. I can never get the tennis ball to "release" the way the PT doc could so maybe I'm doing it wrong. Whatever she did worked like magic. It hurt like hell when she first would apply pressure and then I could literally feel the muscle let go and relax and it was heavenly. Haha.

I'm really just curious on your thoughts and wondered if you have ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks again for your time. Have a happy new year!

Jay
    Hey Jay,

Muscular "knotting" is pretty common stuff, especially among the weighlifting community. The knotting is usually the muscle going into a super tight spasm in which it winds up so tight that it will actually reduce blood flow into the region. The lack of blood flow makes the area even tighter, which cuts off further blood flow. Basically, it's a downward spiral.

Best way to "release" the knot(s) is to get blood into the area. This is usually accomplished through applying pressure to the area. Often times, called trigger point therapy. That is what the therapist was most likely doing with you. It is not fun to have someone pressing into muscle knots...lol. The tennis ball is a home variation of it and should help. I would keep applying pressure with the tennis ball and make sure you apply wet heat to the area (as opposed to dry). If the area doesn't "release", just go back to your therapist. It worked before so I'm sure it will help again.

Let me know how you make out.

Hey Jay,

Muscular "knotting" is pretty common stuff, especially among the weighlifting community. The knotting is usually the muscle going into a super tight spasm in which it winds up so tight that it will actually reduce blood flow into the region. The lack of blood flow makes the area even tighter, which cuts off further blood flow. Basically, it's a downward spiral.

Best way to "release" the knot(s) is to get blood into the area. This is usually accomplished through applying pressure to the area. Often times, called trigger point therapy. That is what the therapist was most likely doing with you. It is not fun to have someone pressing into muscle knots...lol. The tennis ball is a home variation of it and should help. I would keep applying pressure with the tennis ball and make sure you apply wet heat to the area (as opposed to dry). If the area doesn't "release", just go back to your therapist. It worked before so I'm sure it will help again.

Let me know how you make out.
    Thanks Doc, I really appreciate your advice. I'm certainly not as good with the tennis ball as she was with the "torture device" she would use but I'm getting better. I've also been taking plenty of time to stretch my back after training, both weights and running. What is a good/easy way to apply moist heat. I've been using a dry heating pad at bedtime which helps a lot but I'm not sure of the best way to use moist heat.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay S. View Post
    Thanks Doc, I really appreciate your advice. I'm certainly not as good with the tennis ball as she was with the "torture device" she would use but I'm getting better. I've also been taking plenty of time to stretch my back after training, both weights and running. What is a good/easy way to apply moist heat. I've been using a dry heating pad at bedtime which helps a lot but I'm not sure of the best way to use moist heat.

Thanks again.
    Dry heat isn't as effective for that type of injury as wet heat. Therefore, go out and pick yourself up a wet heating pad. They are cheap. Just put some terrycloth towels around it and apply just like a dry pad. Twenty minute sessions. You'll notice a big difference. Happy New Year!

Dry heat isn't as effective for that type of injury as wet heat. Therefore, go out and pick yourself up a wet heating pad. They are cheap. Just put some terrycloth towels around it and apply just like a dry pad. Twenty minute sessions. You'll notice a big difference. Happy New Year!
    Thanks again Doc. I will get a moist heating pad ASAP, I had no idea such a thing existed, dang I must be sheltered.

Happy New Year to you too!

Just let pain be your guide. As long as it's only a sprain, it is safe to train on it. You may want to wrap it prior to training. The wrapping may help stabilize the joint and help the balance issue you are having with the squats.

Also, keep icing it down every day if it swollen and discolored. If no improvement, get an x-ray of it.

Thanks - i just started icing it again before bed. It looks okay in the am but swells up through the day and workouts. I hesitate to get an xray, cause I have shitty health insurance so I'll do a wait n see. i am wondering if my cycle could encourage water retention in an injured area? any thots on that? Currently test e, masteron, light deca (for joint pain) and GH.

Funny damn thing how the body reacts as you age. i am prone to sprains on my lef ankle, but used to heal up in a bout 3 weeks max. Hmmm - I'll have to check the warrantee on that joint - may be 50,000 miles....;-)

Quote Originally Posted by leanbody View Post
    Thanks - i just started icing it again before bed. It looks okay in the am but swells up through the day and workouts. I hesitate to get an xray, cause I have shitty health insurance so I'll do a wait n see. i am wondering if my cycle could encourage water retention in an injured area? any thots on that? Currently test e, masteron, light deca (for joint pain) and GH.

Funny damn thing how the body reacts as you age. i am prone to sprains on my lef ankle, but used to heal up in a bout 3 weeks max. Hmmm - I'll have to check the warrantee on that joint - may be 50,000 miles....;-)
    Keep icing the ankle down, especially after training. In regards to your cycle, you may want to post that question in the AAS sticky thread. I'm not really knowledgeable in that regard.

Default Torn rotator cuff

Just about 3 years ago I tore my right rotator cuff. The surgeon says it was torn about the size of a half dollar. I never had it surgically repaired because I didn't want to be completely out of action for months. I rehabbed it myself over the last 3 years but it is noticeably weaker now than it was before. I tore it on a 365 flat bench rep and now I couldn't lift over 265 if my life depended on it. Am I doomed to this reduction or will it continue to get stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobr View Post
    Just about 3 years ago I tore my right rotator cuff. The surgeon says it was torn about the size of a half dollar. I never had it surgically repaired because I didn't want to be completely out of action for months. I rehabbed it myself over the last 3 years but it is noticeably weaker now than it was before. I tore it on a 365 flat bench rep and now I couldn't lift over 265 if my life depended on it. Am I doomed to this reduction or will it continue to get stronger?
    I have seen a lot of shoulder injuries over the past 20 years. I always find them very interesting. The reason being, is that injuries that you would initially think require surgery, sometimes heal just fine.

The shoulder is a very soft tissue type of joint. It has very very little boney/joint stability, unlike other joints like the knee. The shoulder is basically just your humorous bone "dangling" from it's socket. Basically, it's entire stability is from the surrounding muscles and tendons. The plus side of this, is the wide range of mobility we have with our shoulders. The down side, is the ease of injury due to this mobility.

I have seen many partial tears of the shoulder heal quite well. Often, the stability that returns is from scar tissue formation in and around the joint. I remember talking to an orthopedic surgeon many years ago who told me that the reason that shoulder surgery works well, is not because of the surgical technique used (there are many techniques for shoulder repair). He said it was because no matter what type of technique is used, the body then lays down a bunch of scar tissue which in turns stabilizes the joint.

Lightweight DB or resistance band exercises work great for rehabbing the shoulder. In particular, work external and internal rotation. This along with smart training (avoid exercises that aggravate your injury) often leads to pretty good recovery.

So, do I think your shoulder is doomed? Not at all. Just watch your exercises, perform rehab exercises daily and use plenty of ice post workout.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast