Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Yes - this looks great thank you - I have stopped doing shrugs because of it, 5 wks from the Nats, so it is hard to skip something - but I will have an adjustment and deep tissue massage again, and try the wet heat. Thank you!!!!

Joe,
    I decided against getting cortizone shots in the knees...good call on your part. Had a two hour deep tissue massage last night...hurt like hell but released a ton of trigger points and knees do feel a little better too. Plan on having deep tissue massages once per week from here on in.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCouch View Post
    Joe,
    I decided against getting cortizone shots in the knees...good call on your part. Had a two hour deep tissue massage last night...hurt like hell but released a ton of trigger points and knees do feel a little better too. Plan on having deep tissue massages once per week from here on in.
    Kevin
    Great idea, Kevin. Glad you didn't have to go with the cortisone. Do you ice the knees down after training? Twenty minutes of ice after training can make a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by joedemarco View Post
    Great idea, Kevin. Glad you didn't have to go with the cortisone. Do you ice the knees down after training? Twenty minutes of ice after training can make a world of difference.
    Thanks Joe! Hittin legs again tomorrow! gotta bring those wheels up!

RX MEMBER

DR.

For the past two weeks I have been experiencing pain on the end of my left clavicle (possibly the ac joint of my shoulder), and for some weird reason, my left trap will not flex at all and actually appears to be shorter and smaller than the right...This concerns me because im left handed and my left trap was my favorite and most aesthetically pleasing body part...

I went to the Dr's and got an Xray and the doctor thinks its just torn ligaments...what do you think? why the fuck wont my trap flex?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCouch View Post
    Joe,
    Kevin
    Glad you are doing it sans cortisone. I am a deep tissue therapist and am really jealous, because I can't find anyone to work on me! Just schedule the deep tissue around your training and be aware of potential bruising in the deeper fascia. Don't be afraid to occassionally request a "deep swedish" less penetrating and focuses more on stretching the fascia and getting fresh blood into area. Doc, didn't mean to hijack...

Quote Originally Posted by axioma View Post
    Glad you are doing it sans cortisone. I am a deep tissue therapist and am really jealous, because I can't find anyone to work on me! Just schedule the deep tissue around your training and be aware of potential bruising in the deeper fascia. Don't be afraid to occassionally request a "deep swedish" less penetrating and focuses more on stretching the fascia and getting fresh blood into area. Doc, didn't mean to hijack...
    I had deep tissue 2 hour sessions once per week 8 week leading up to the Masters and it helped me a lot! I started back this week. Hurt like hell! The only person who would work on me in this town was one person and she's awesome...call her Helga..Huge hands, very strong!! Thanks for the advise on stretching the fascia I'll let her know!!
    kevin

Quote Originally Posted by axioma View Post
    I didn't know you were a deep tissue therapist. That's great. Do you do any ART? I am going to be getting certified in ART in the very near future.

Default Art

I didn't know you were a deep tissue therapist. That's great. Do you do any ART? I am going to be getting certified in ART in the very near future.
    I have always worked muscle groups through their natural range of motion, taught in sports massage. I would really like to get certified in ART, cutting edge and a system. Most of the courses would require extensive travel on my part and haven't had the funds. Let me know when you get ready to go and where. I have been doing this for 20 years and feel ART would take my work to another level. I would like to work with a chiropractor doing ART, no bullshit, just results. Not a lot of that in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddinWC View Post
    DR.

For the past two weeks I have been experiencing pain on the end of my left clavicle (possibly the ac joint of my shoulder), and for some weird reason, my left trap will not flex at all and actually appears to be shorter and smaller than the right...This concerns me because im left handed and my left trap was my favorite and most aesthetically pleasing body part...

I went to the Dr's and got an Xray and the doctor thinks its just torn ligaments...what do you think? why the fuck wont my trap flex?
    Sorry I missed this question. The pain in the area of the ac joint is pretty common for weight lifters. Usually the ac joint will be tender to the touch. It is unusual to tear ligaments in the ac joint without a trauma to the region. Also, if ligaments were torn you would notice that your distal clavical (part of clavicle near your shoulder) would be elevated. It would be quite noticeable.

A simple ac joint strain will usually respond to daily icing. I would also avoid any lifts that tend to aggravate the area.

In regards to the left trap, that is somewhat unusual. It really doesn't make any sense why you wouldn't be able to flex it. Sounds like your doctor should run some test to further investigate....(e.g. MRI).

Let me know what happens.

RX MEMBER

Sorry I missed this question. The pain in the area of the ac joint is pretty common for weight lifters. Usually the ac joint will be tender to the touch. It is unusual to tear ligaments in the ac joint without a trauma to the region. Also, if ligaments were torn you would notice that your distal clavical (part of clavicle near your shoulder) would be elevated. It would be quite noticeable.

A simple ac joint strain will usually respond to daily icing. I would also avoid any lifts that tend to aggravate the area.

In regards to the left trap, that is somewhat unusual. It really doesn't make any sense why you wouldn't be able to flex it. Sounds like your doctor should run some test to further investigate....(e.g. MRI).

Let me know what happens.
    Thanks for the response..I got an x-ray and the shoulder bones are fine. you're correct--the distal clavical does stick out and is tender to the touch..will this ever go away? any type of pushing movement exacerbates the area and causes extreme inflammation near the deltoid....

what types of exercises should i avoid and how do i warm up this area?

Thanks for the response..I got an x-ray and the shoulder bones are fine. you're correct--the distal clavical does stick out and is tender to the touch..will this ever go away? any type of pushing movement exacerbates the area and causes extreme inflammation near the deltoid....

what types of exercises should i avoid and how do i warm up this area?
    If the distal clavicle is elevated due to a tearing of fibers it will unfortunately not return to its normal position.

In regards to exercises, I would just let pain be your guide. I would work around the movements that cause a significant increase in pain. After training, I would ice it down.

I would warm up the area good prior to lifting. Grab a pair of 5 pound plates and move your arms through a series of motions. Do a bunch of front raises, lateral raises, rear delts, etc with the plates. This will bring blood to the area and warm the shoulder up. Good luck.

RX MEMBER

If the distal clavicle is elevated due to a tearing of fibers it will unfortunately not return to its normal position.

In regards to exercises, I would just let pain be your guide. I would work around the movements that cause a significant increase in pain. After training, I would ice it down.

I would warm up the area good prior to lifting. Grab a pair of 5 pound plates and move your arms through a series of motions. Do a bunch of front raises, lateral raises, rear delts, etc with the plates. This will bring blood to the area and warm the shoulder up. Good luck.
    Thanks again for the reply..you definately know your shit .....

Will the pain and inflammation EVER go away??? or will it be something that I'll always have to work around?

Thanks again for the reply..you definately know your shit .....

Will the pain and inflammation EVER go away??? or will it be something that I'll always have to work around?
    I would be surprised if the pain remains on a constant basis. It may be the type of problem that comes and goes periodically. Your best bet, once it is feeling improved, is to avoid exercises which are painful. Once you learn, what you can and can not do in the gym, you should be O.K. in the long term. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
    Dr. Joe,

If someone is tall, and never had legs to begin with but talks a lot of shit about how big their legs could be if they weren't tall and then foolishly tore quad tendons on both legs and then again talked shit about how big they could be, what would you label that person?
    Clearly not someone from the 619... we tear our quads DAILY just so we can prevent them from getting injured moving heavy weights. Yes, we physically TEAR our quads... just so we won't have excuses about small legs.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast