Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by xerox View Post
    thats because shory stocky guys cant bend over far to grab the bar and their hands are too thick and stubby to grip anything.
    Yeah, thick and stubby is a good description of him.

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by BigBarryBell View Post
    This article pretty much sums up the 'Reverse-Grip Bench'.

http://www.criticalbench.com/reverse...ench-press.htm
    Big Barry,

interesting final notes in that article about the thumbless grip. it stated that you do not activated all your muscle fibers in your triceps and forearms with thumbs out vs. wrapped around bar. I am not arguing the article but for me personally, I feel much weeked pressing with thumbs wrapped. I always run them parallel to the bar. but if I think about DB presses, obviously I use a full wrap and have no issues. Do you think it is just pyschological? I may start trying the full grip and see if in time my bench improves. Not a big bencher, PR to date is only 315x2 but any trick or tip I can take to increase it I am willing to try,

FREAK

I don't like where my tendons are attached.

Is this a good lift for me?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve g View Post
    Big Barry,

interesting final notes in that article about the thumbless grip. it stated that you do not activated all your muscle fibers in your triceps and forearms with thumbs out vs. wrapped around bar. I am not arguing the article but for me personally, I feel much weeked pressing with thumbs wrapped. I always run them parallel to the bar. but if I think about DB presses, obviously I use a full wrap and have no issues. Do you think it is just pyschological? I may start trying the full grip and see if in time my bench improves. Not a big bencher, PR to date is only 315x2 but any trick or tip I can take to increase it I am willing to try,
    i find that the thumbless grip keeps the bar more centered across my hand and wrist and keeps my wrist and forearm straighter and under the bar more allowing me to drive it with more power.

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by xerox View Post
    i find that the thumbless grip keeps the bar more centered across my hand and wrist and keeps my wrist and forearm straighter and under the bar more allowing me to drive it with more power.
    yeah, i pretty much agree with that, just saying the article says that is not the case and infact the strongest grip is a full grip with thumb

IM your friendly neighbourhood pharmacist :)

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    I'd like a bit more info on these statements...
    I really like the movement. Mainly for tris but just a great overall compound move. I have worked up to 315 for sets of 6 or so and never had any problems. I use a great spotter though and always take a lift as it is VERY awkward to get out of the rack.
    I prefer them over close grips because I can feel my tris much more where as with close grips my chest will start to fatigue (even if I do them last on tricep day).

Can't really comment on the whole upper chest thing because I use them for tris...
    wow 315 for reps on reverse grip !! dammm good 4 you but id really drop down the weight about 70% or so and really get a good idea of the movement and feel of it cause its such an akward movement and givin that your hands are in the opposite position its very easy 2 loose control of that and have a mishap ... its a great exercise for the triceps and id say mid chest to a much lesser degree . i used to do them many years ago just to change things up and there is nothing worng with the exercise IMO because of the new stimulus new muscle will result ...lower the weight and master the form of this exercise and im sure you will have no complaints

West Coast at Shaniqua's momma's auntie's house

Great tri exercise. It also has it's advantages by way of removing some of the delt from the movement to hit the pecs a little different in comparison to a standard grip.
    Anal-"Just cause the roller coaster breaks down doesn't mean the amusement park closes, the log ride is always open........"*lordsks

I think the potential problems for the wrist are reduced when one does their reverse grip BP'S on a smith machine.

Big Barry

Big Barry,

LOL, I read that part myself and thought WTF. I was always told the thumbless grip placed 'even more' emphasis on the triceps.

Everybody has their own style but you would never catch me reverse-grip benching or with a suicide grip purly for safety reasons. Reverse grip bench was made illegal due to the high injury rate, people could push some crazy weight but were getting hurt far too often. It never felt anatomically natural to me, we're all different though. I bet some guys have been using it for years without a problem.

Big Barry

Big Barry,

I think it certainly would, one less thing to worry about, it should help you focus. I've 'never' seen a bar slip from a full grip in bench press. No way could I push with power and speed if I had a thumbless grip, I wouldn't risk it. I never saw ANY advantage whatsoever in it and I did use it at one time so I can compare pretty impartially.

This article pretty much sums up the 'Reverse-Grip Bench'.

http://www.criticalbench.com/reverse...ench-press.htm
    Thank you for sharing the article. I have some issues with it. First, it didn't explain what the injury dangers are with the reverse grip. Just that you will get hurt. If I recall correctly, didn't Clark change to the reverse grip after a shoulder injury? He had already benched 600 as a teenager and 700 as an open lifter.

I saw the report about the upper chest stimulation of the reverse grip being superior to that of an incline press. That surprised me. I have used the reverse grip press on a smith machine as a tricep exercise. I find it helpful in eliminating shoulder stress and really focusing on the triceps.

Big Barry

Quote Originally Posted by vboissiere View Post
    Thank you for sharing the article. I have some issues with it. First, it didn't explain what the injury dangers are with the reverse grip. Just that you will get hurt. If I recall correctly, didn't Clark change to the reverse grip after a shoulder injury? He had already benched 600 as a teenager and 700 as an open lifter.

I saw the report about the upper chest stimulation of the reverse grip being superior to that of an incline press. That surprised me. I have used the reverse grip press on a smith machine as a tricep exercise. I find it helpful in eliminating shoulder stress and really focusing on the triceps.

Yeah, it wasn't much of an article. This one's good though, it's supposed to be by Big Ron Coleman and it's probably (Definately) ghost written, it seems well researched though.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_98488482/

Big Barry

Like you say, people love it for triceps. There seems to be a ton of articles like this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_7_21/ai_n14933653/?tag=rel.res1

I think people who feel comfortable with the movement should definately use it but with very heavy weight??

I feel it badly in the wrists and forearms, maybe a special bar should be used for reverse grip press, even an EZ-Curl Bar. (A seven-foot one, LOL)

Like you say, people love it for triceps. There seems to be a ton of articles like this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_7_21/ai_n14933653/?tag=rel.res1

I think people who feel comfortable with the movement should definately use it but with very heavy weight??

I feel it badly in the wrists and forearms, maybe a special bar should be used for reverse grip press, even an EZ-Curl Bar. (A seven-foot one, LOL)
    I think (stictly in terms of injury, not productivity) the reverse grip is safer with heavy weight and even near maximum weights than the standard position. For those who use bench shirts (especially multi-ply), it may be a more productive movement that the standard press. The pec and shoulder are in a less stressful position. With the reverse grip, the angle of the upper arm to the torso is safer. The wrist is in a rough position though. That can be resolved by "casting" the wrists with a long dense set of wrist wraps.

I think (stictly in terms of injury, not productivity) the reverse grip is safer with heavy weight and even near maximum weights than the standard position. For those who use bench shirts (especially multi-ply), it may be a more productive movement that the standard press. The pec and shoulder are in a less stressful position. With the reverse grip, the angle of the upper arm to the torso is safer. The wrist is in a rough position though. That can be resolved by "casting" the wrists with a long dense set of wrist wraps.

That's actually what I was thinking, I have never done a reverse grip bench, but I've been thinking about adding them into my program. The exercise seems like it would take some of wear off my shoulders, and it would be good becasue it would closely resemble the motion of a 2-ply shirted bench. I do have the wrist wraps i need to protect my wrists, so I am think about giving it a try

What makes this an unsafe movement?
    High Rep is for pussies- SisterSteel
    www.jakkedhardcore.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast