Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Push Press Potts View Post
    Will you be doing a write up on PRRS Training?
    POWER...REP RANGE...SHOCK
    Time to Grow Without Plateau
    by Eric Broser

For those of you out there that have been training for more than a couple of years, I’d like you to take a little trip down memory lane with me...Remember back in the beginning, when you first started training, when new muscle and more power came almost every week? When the main goal at every training session was simply to add more weight to the bar and get it from point A to B in any way possible. When every night you would hop on the scale after the last meal of the night (of course when you would be at your heaviest for the day) and be thrilled to see that you weighed ½ a lb more than the night before. When all you had to do to gain muscle was to eat more, train more, sleep more, and abracadabra, alacazam, presto...there was more, of YOU!!

Ahhh, those were good times, weren’t they? But as all intermediate to advanced bodybuilders know...all good things come to an end. After about the first year of training, gains begin to slow down, weights don’t climb quite as easily, and the scale doesn’t budge like it once did. Despite your best efforts in the gym, pounding away on the same exercises for the same range of reps on the same days, nothing seems to be happening anymore. What’s the deal?

The fist thing you must understand is that muscles are not just a lumps of tissue. Muscles are extremely complex structures, that like onions, have many layers that need to be peeled before reaching the core. So, without turning this into a class in anatomy and physiology, let’s just take a quick and basic look inside these molehills we all wish to turn into mountains...our muscles.

Muscle is composed of bundles of muscle fibers also known as myofibers. Each fiber contains myofibrils, which themselves are composed of small bundles of myofilaments. The myofilaments are made up of two proteins, known as actin and myosin, and are the elements of muscle that actually shorten upon contraction.. The actin and myosin function within the sarcomere to produce these contractions. The sarcomere is the smallest functional unit within muscle.

In general there are three distinct fiber types found in skeletal muscle. These three include: Type I, also known as slow-twitch or red fibers; Type IIA, and IIB, also known collectively as fast-twitch or white fibers.Type I are the slowest, smallest, and have the highest level of endurance of all the fibers. They are most active in slow movements and long-term aerobic activities, and take a long time to fatigue. Next come the Type IIA and the Type IIB fibers, which are the fastest, largest, and least endurance oriented in the group. They are most active in short-term quick-burst or power activities. They are powered entirely through the anaerobic (without oxygen) system, and contract nearly twice as fast as slow twitch fibers, but fatigue much more rapidly. It is important to remember, however, that within our muscles there also lies “intermediate” fiber types that show both high oxidative and fast-twitch characteristics.

As you contract a muscle, each fiber type is recruited in a specific order. The smallest (lowest threshold) fibers, the Type I, are recruited first. As the speed or force of contraction is increased, you will sequentially recruit the intermediate fibers, and then the Type IIA and IIB muscle fibers. However, to recruit the Type IIB fibers it may take over 90% of a maximal contraction!

All people are born with these muscle fiber types. Most muscles contain almost an even split of these basic slow (Type I) and fast (Type II) fibers, with of course intermediate fibers that lie along the continuum between them. There is of course some genetic variation between different muscles, and from individual to individual. Some people are “born” to run marathons (slow-twitch dominant), while others are born to run sprints (fast-twitch dominant...and very lucky if they want to be a bodybuilder).

Although it is the Type II fibers that have the greatest potential for hypertrophy, in order to obtain maximal muscle size, it is imperative that we regularly train ALL of our muscle fibers. Why limit ourselves to only maximizing the potential of a portion of our fibers? Doesn’t it make sense that in order to come as close as possible to our genetic limits that we strive to “get at” every last fiber in each of our muscles? Of course! In addition, muscles also become larger due to other adaptions to training aside from actual fiber hypertrophy. Enhanced muscle size also occurs by way of increases in mitochondrial enzymes, increases in stored ATP and phosphocreatine, increases in stored glycogen and triglyceride, and also from the laying down of additional capillary beds.

So now the question is... “How do we go about successfully working all of our muscle fibers as well as stimulating all of the other pathways associated with maximum muscle hypertrophy?” The answer can be summed up in one simple word...VARIATION! After you have laid a foundation in your first couple of years of lifting weights, it is time to start to vary your training. Too many misguided trainees use the same exercises, in the same order, with the same rep tempo, rest between sets, training techniques, and rep ranges...day after day...week after week...and month after month! You must understand that the human body is an incredibly adaptable machine and thus will quickly cease to respond to stimuli that it is exposed to time and again. Do you know what one of the biggest roadblocks to progress, in anything that we do, is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result! That’s just plain craziness!

Now that I (hopefully) have you convinced that variation is your friend, your question to me probably is, “Ok hotshot...sounds good, but how do I go about this?” The answer lies in something called P/RR/S, which is short for POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK. “Cool name...but what the heck is it?” Another fine question! It is a method of cycling workouts that I developed after lifting weights for more than a dozen years, utilizing every training technique and program I had ever seen, or read about, along the way. In those 12 + years of training I had gone from a 125 lb weakling, who could barely bench press the 45 lb bar, to a 225 lb title winning bodybuilder that could bench press 400 + lbs...all without the aid of drugs. However, although I had done nicely, adding about 100 lbs to my frame, I still wanted more, but was not getting it. I had hit a wall and could not climb over it, or go around it. This forced me to examine everything I was doing in order to come up with a new plan of attack. I felt my diet and supplementation were solid, so I began focusing more on my training. Over the course of several months I slowly developed a program that had me gaining again, and before I knew it, I was up to 250 lbs, and feeling stronger than ever! The reason I named this program POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK will be apparent in just a moment, but I must tell you that I can honestly say that I have seen more consistent progress using this system than on another other I have ever tried. I have used P/RR/S for four straight years now and I am continually getting bigger and better. Of course, the system has continued to metamorphosize along the way as I continually tweak it in order to make it even more efficient at stimulating hypertrophy. In fact, I have developed several “hybrid” P/RR/S programs to fit the unique needs of different trainees, based on goals and level of experience. But I am getting ahead of myself. What I would like to present to you at this time is the basic P/RR/S plan, so that you can get an idea what this is all about.

So, ready to grow? Read on...

Part II

Week 1: POWER

The goal during POWER week is to make a direct attack on the Type II A and II B muscle fibers, with an emphasis on the II B’s. These are the higher threshold fibers and the way we get at them is with heavy weights. The goal for this week is to utilize weights that allow for 4-6 reps to failure. The way in which you perform your reps is of great importance during POWER week. I have found that an eccentric (negative) contraction of about 4 seconds followed immediately by an explosive concentric (positive) contraction works best at nailing those fast-twitch fibers. Remember...even though you will be attempting to explode with the weight during the positive portion of the rep, it will not move very quickly at all due to the heavy load you are lifting. Rest between sets is also very important. Since you want to be able to lift as heavy as possible during POWER week, you will be resting about 4-5 minutes between sets in order to fully regenerate ATP and creatine phosphate stores in the muscle cells. As far as the exercises go, choose those that are basic or compound in nature. These include movements like bench presses, squats, deadlifts, military presses and bent rows. POWER week workouts will not impart a tremendous pump, but rather will make your muscles feel as if they’ve been smashed with a wrecking ball.

Rep Goal: 4-6
    Rest Between Sets: 4-5 minutes
    Lifting Tempo: 4/0/X
    Exercises: Mostly compound

Here is an example of a typical POWER workout for chest:

1-Bench Press: 4 x 4-6
    2-Incline Dumbell Press: 3 x 4-6
    3-Weighted Dips: 2-3 x 4-6

Week 2: REP RANGE

As I mentioned earlier there are several fiber types that lie along the continuum between Type I and Type II muscle fibers. The goal of REP RANGE week is to show these “intermediary” fibers no mercy! We will accomplish this by using three distinct rep ranges (hence the name of this week) for three separate exercises for each body part. The first exercise will be to failure in the 7-9 rep range. The second will be to failure in the 10-12 rep range. The final exercise will be to failure in the 13-15 rep range.
    In order to make the stimulus this week even more unique from the POWER week, you will also change your rep tempo. Both the eccentric and concentric portion of each rep should take 2 seconds to complete, while the mid-point of the movement (isometric contraction) should be held for one full second. Additionally, if you happen to be using a movement that contains a strong “peak contraction effect,” such as leg extensions, you are also encouraged to hold this portion of the rep for one full second before you begin the eccentric portion of the rep. The exercises used this week should be both compound and isolation in nature, with free weights, machines and cables all being fair game. One particularly effective approach is to choose a free weight compound movement for the 7-9 rep range; a free weight isolation movement for the 10-12 rep range; and a machine or cable movement for the 13-15 rep range. Of course, you are encouraged to experiment a bit to get an idea of what feels most effective to you. Rest between sets during REP RANGE week will be 2-3 minutes. You can expect a tremendous pump from REP RANGE week workouts, and some deep muscle soreness in the days that follow...but we love that kind of pain, don’t we!

Rep Goal: 7-9, 10-12, 13-15
    Rest Between Sets: 2-3 minutes
    Lifting Tempo: 2/1/2/1***
    Exercises: Compound, Isolation, Machine or Cable

***1 second hold at peak for certain exercises

Here is an example for a typical REP RANGE workout for shoulders:

1-Military Press: 4 x 7-9
    2-Seated Side Lateral: 3 x 10-12
    3-Reverse Pec Deck Flye: 2 x 13-15

Week 3: SHOCK

In my opinion, SHOCK week is the most intense and excruciating portion of this routine. It will without a doubt test your ability to withstand pain, fend off nausea, and fight back the tears! SHOCK week separates the men from the boys, the freaks from the fakes! The goal during this week is complete and utter annihilation of every fiber, from slow-twitch, right on down to the fast-twitch Type II A’s; to force your body to release natural GH like water from a collapsed damn; and to literally “force” your muscles to grow in a “do or die” like fashion! Each grueling session during shock week contains 2 different types of supersets and a punishing dropset for each major bodypart. The first superset will be performed in what is known as “pre-exhaust” fashion. This means that an isolation movement will be performed first, with a compound movement immediately after. The second superset will be what as known as “post activation,” made famous by Ironman contributing author Michael Gundill. In post activation supersets, it is the compound movement that proceeds the isolation movement. Each of these supersets provides a unique stimulus for both your muscles and nervous system. Once you have completed your supersets it is time for a dropset, which will complete the torture that you will impart on your muscles during SHOCK week. Reps for each exercise will be in the range of 8-10, and the tempo will become more rhythmic in nature. An eccentric contraction of just one second will be followed immediately by a concentric contraction of the same speed. There will be no resting (as long as you can handle it) at the top or bottom, as each rep should be performed in a “piston-like” fashion. Rest between sets should be long enough to allow you to catch your breath fully, as well as to prepare your mind for the next onslaught. Your individual level of cardiovascular conditioning, as well as your constitution, will determine the length of your rest. Free weights, cables, and machines are all utilized during SHOCK week. My warning to you is that you better be prepared when you enter the gym on SHOCK week, because every workout will leave you breathing with the intensity of a steam engine and a burn that will reach your very core! Fun!

Rep Goal: 8-10 (dropset is 8-10, drop, 4-6 more)
    Rest Between Sets: cardiovascular and mental recovery
    Lifting Tempo: 1/0/1

Here is a typical SHOCK workout for triceps:

1-Superset: Rope Pressdown/Lying Extension: 2 x 8-10 each
    2-Superset: CG Bench Press/Underhand Grip Pressdown: 2 x 8-10 each
    3-Dropset: Single Arm Overhead Dumbell Extension: 1 x 8-10, drop, 6-8

After you have completed the 3 week POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK cycle, return to the beginning and repeat. With each cycle do your best to increase the weights you lift and/or the reps you achieve. After three full cycles I recommend that you take off one full week from the gym before returning to the program. After your break, you might want to switch up some or all of the exercises that you used in the cycle proceeding.

I would like to mention that the P/RR/S program that I presented in this article is not meant for beginners (although in a future article I will explain how those with less experience can begin to employ my system, as well as how more advanced lifters can work with an even more intense version). You can begin to use the program as presented here, after about two solid years in the gym.

So, if you have been training for some time, are stuck in a rut, or are looking to take your physique to the next level, POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK training may just be your first class ticket to “FREAKVILLE!” Enjoy the ride my friends.

a sample template for PRRS training. Below is such a template. This is not a "set in stone" program, but an example of how one might use PRRS.

BACK

WEEK 1: POWER

-rack deadlift...3 x 4-6
    -bent row...3 x 4-6
    -weighted chin...2-3 x 4-6
    -CG seated row...2-3 x 4-6

WEEK 2: REP RANGE

-CG weighted chin...2 x 7-9
    -WG T-Bar row...2 x 10-12
    -dumbell row...2 x 13-15
    -pullover...2 x 16-20

WEEK 3: SHOCK

-SUPERSET: pullover/WG pulldown ...2 x 8-10 each
    -SUPERSET: stiff arm pulldown/reverse grip bent row...2 x 8-10 each
    -DROPSET: CG seated pully row...1 x 6-8, drop, 6-8, drop, 6-8

BIS/TRIS

-barbell curl...2 x 4-6
    -preacher curl...2 x 4-6
    -hammer curl...1-2 x 4-6
    -CG bench press...3 x 4-6
    -skull crush...2 x 4-6
    -single arm dumbell extension...1-2 x 4-6

-alternating dumbell curl...2 x 7-9
    -cable curl...2 x 10-12
    -concentration curl...1-2 x 13-15
    -weighted dip...3 x 7-9
    -pushdown...2 x 10-12
    -kickback...1-2 x 13-15

-SUPERSET: barbell curl/CG chin...2 x 8-10 each
    -SUPERSET: preacher curl/reverse curl...1 x 8-10 each
    -DROPSET: cable single arm curl...1 x 8-10, drop 6-8
    -SUPERSET: pushdown/CG bench press...2 x 8-10 each
    -SUPERSET: reverse grip pushdown/incline overhead extension...1 x 8-10 each
    -DROPSET weighted bench dip...1 x 8-10, drop 4-6, drop, 4-6

CHEST

-dumbell bench press...3 x 4-6
    -incline press...3 x 4-6
    -weighted dips...3 x 4-6

-incline dumbell press...3 x 7-9
    -bench press...3 x 10-12
    -flye...2 x 13-15
    -cable crossover...16-20

-SUPERSET: cable crossover/incline smith press...2 x 8-10 reps each
    -SUPERSET: incline flye/dips...2 x 8-10 reps each
    -DROPSET: machine bench press...1 x 8-10, drop 6-8, drop 6-8

DELTS

-military press...3 x 4-6
    -WG upright row...3 x 4-6
    -"cheat" lateral...2 x 4-6

-single arm dumbell press...2 x 7-9
    -WG cable upright row...2 x 10-12
    -bent lateral...2 x 13-15
    -cable side lateral...2 x 16-20

-SUPERSET: seated side lateral/hammer machine press ...2 x 8-10
    -SUPERSET: reverse pec deck/WG upright row...2 x 8-10
    -DROPSET: cable front raise...1 x 8-10, drop 6-8

LEGS

-squats...4 x 4-6
    -leg press...4 x 4-6
    -single leg extension...2 x 4-6
    -lying leg curl...4 x 4-6
    -stiff deadlift...3 x 4-6

-leg extension...2 X 7-9
    -hack squat...3 x 10-12
    -leg press...3 x 13-15
    -lunge...2 x 16-20
    -seated leg curl...3 x 7-9
    -stiff deadlift...2 x 10-12
    -single leg lying leg curl...2 x 13-15

-SUPERSET: leg extension/front squat...2 x 8-10 each
    -SUPERSET: leg extension/leg press...2 x 8-10 each
    -DROPSET: single leg leg press...1 x 8-10, drop, 8-10
    -SUPERSET: lying leg curl/stiff deadlift...2 x 8-10 each
    -DROPSET: seated leg curl...2 x 8-10, drop, 6-8

This might be a typical 3-week PRRS phase for back...

POWER:

-WG PULLUPS...4 X 4-6
    -UNDERHAND GRIP BB BENT ROW...3 X 4-6
    -CG SEATED CABLE OR HAMMER MACHINE ROW...3 X 4-6

REP RANGE:

-WG BB BENT ROW...3 X 7-9
    -UNDERHAND GRIP SEATED CABLE ROW...3 X 10-12
    -CG PULLDOWN...2 X 13-15
    -STIFF ARM PULLDOWN...2 X 16-20

SHOCK:

-SUPERSET: WG PULLDOWN TO CLAVICLES/UNDERHAND GRIP PULLDOWN TO LOWER CHEST...2 X 8-10 EACH
    -SUPERSET: CG T BAR ROW/DB PULLOVER...2 X 8-10 EACH
    -DROPSET: SINGLE ARM SEATED CABLE OR HAMMER ROW...1 X 10-12, DROP, 6-8 MORE

Cool

POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK 2
    Variations and Advanced Techniques
    Part I

In the May 2005 addition of Ironman I wrote an article entitled POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK...Time to Grow Without Plateau, outlining a training protocol that I developed about five years ago to help more advanced lifters break out of a rut, and start adding on new muscle, similarly to the way they did when they first started training. Since that article came out, my email has been inundated with positive feedback by those that have been using the program with great success. Dozens and dozens of lifters have written me, expressing that POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK is one of the most enjoyable and effective training programs they have ever utilized, bringing their enthusiasm for the iron to an all time high! Nothing could make me happier, as being successful at helping others reach their fitness and physique goals has become just as important to me as reaching my own.

Over the past 4-5 years I have been using P/RR/S myself, on a continuous basis, making steady gains in both muscle mass and quality, which is pretty impressive after lifting for 15+ years. During this time I have experimented with different variations of the basic program, creating a more intense version for advanced lifters, and a beginner's version as well. Being a personal trainer for bodybuilders and athletes of all levels for many years has also allowed me to tweak the original P/RR/S program to meet the unique needs of each individual, depending on what it is they desire to accomplish at a specific time of year. P/RR/S can be altered to be more geared toward hypertrophy, strength, or cutting cycles.

Before I begin to delve further into the topic of P/RR/S advanced techniques and variations, let me quickly review some of what I presented in the initial article in order to refresh everyone's memory...or just in case you missed the article entirely.

P/RR/S Revisited

Most people tend to fall into one specific way of training early on, and then rarely break very far from it as the years go by. As long as trainees are progressive with the weights they use, this approach will work, at least for the first few years of training. However, as more time goes by, this one dimensional system will bring about progressively diminishing returns as far as hypertrophy is concerned, and along with it, increasing frustration. This situation may lead some towards dangerous anabolic steroids, others to add far too much volume to their workouts (thinking they are not doing enough), and a few to quit training altogether. Obviously, none of these are very positive solutions to the problem at hand.

What many people fail to realize is how incredibly adaptable the human body can be, and how low on the priority list gaining large amounts of muscle is to our bodies. Like I said, for the first couple of years, as long as you workout consistently, and progressively heavier, you will be able to get bigger. However, after a while, simply lifting heavier weights is not a novel enough stimulus to trigger the body into adding more muscle . Not only that, but this is a very narrow approach to training that leaves various pathways to growth completely untouched, and your full potential entirely untapped! As I mentioned in the first article, most people focus only on training the Type II muscle fibers because they have the greatest potential for hypertrophy. However, to reach the outer boundaries of our genetic limit, we need to train every single fiber along the continuum, from the slowest of the slow, to the fastest of the fast. In addition, we must make a ferocious effort to positively affect every metabolic and hormonal system that can contribute to advancing our muscle size and density. And dare I mention the word hyperplasia? Correct, never proven in humans, but the possibility certainly exists...

Enter POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK...a cyclical approach to training that has you using a unique protocol every week, that will collectively tap into all of your body's mechanisms for growth.

Basic P/RR/S Formula

Week # 1 is the POWER week, and it is meant to smash your Type II A and Type II B fast twitch muscle fibers, as well as get large amounts of natural testosterone to course through your veins. Here is the outline for a basic POWER week, along with a sample workout for hamstrings:

Rest Between Sets: 4-5 minutes

1-Lying Leg Curl:3 x 4-6
    2-Stiff Leg Deadlift: 3 x 4-6
    3-Single Leg Leg Curl: 2-3 x 4-6

Week # 2 is the REP RANGE week, the goal of which is tear through all the intermediary muscle fibers that lie along the continuum from Type I to Type II fibers as well as to stimulate growth producing metabolic adaptions within muscle cells. Here is the outline for a basic REP RANGE week, along with a sample workout for triceps:

Rep Goal: 7-9, 10-12, 13-15

***1 second hold at peak contraction for certain exercises (ex. Leg Extensions).

1-Smith CG Bench Press: 3 x 7-9
    2-Lying Triceps Extension: 3 x 10-12
    3-Dumbbell Kickback: 2 x 13-15

Week # 3 is SHOCK week, where you will become very intimate with searing muscle pain! The burn and lactic acid that this week produces will flood your system with growth hormone, while the monster pumps will have your body laying down some new capillaries to make room for the rushing blood! Here is the outline for a basic SHOCK week, along with a sample workout for delts:

Rep Goal: 8-10 (dropset is 8-10, drop, 6-8)

1-Superset: Seated Side Lateral/Behind the Neck Press: 2 x 8-10 each
    2-Superset: WG Cable Upright Row/Bent Lateral: 2 x 8-10 each
    3-Dropset: Barbell Front Raise: 1 x 8-10, drop, 6-8

Once you complete the 3-week P/RR/S cycle, return to the beginning and repeat, with the goal in mind of training more intensely on the next cycle. I suggest you use the same exercises for three straight cycles, and try to lift heavier weight and/or increase your reps at each workout. After three full cycles either take a complete week off from the gym, or at least do a very light week to allow for repair and recovery. Upon returning to P/RR/S, feel free to switch some or all of the exercises, and prepare to push even harder through the next three cycles.

Now that I have refreshed everyone's memory about the premise and principles behind the POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK training strategy, I am now going to discuss some variations of the program, as well as some advanced techniques that can be employed by very seasoned lifters and/or those that are P/RR/S veterans (note: P/RR/S was originally introduced on the Internet several years ago and now has a large following that have been on the original program for some time). So, take a quick sip of that protein drink, and read on...

Advanced Techniques

POWER WEEK: One technique that I like to employ during POWER week to intensify the basic protocol is something that I call 1, 3, 5 Training. Powerlifters often use something similar in their own training and it is extremely effective in the scheme of P/RR/S. To use this technique you pick three basic exercises for your workout. For the first exercise you will be performing single-rep sets. For the second exercise you utilize three-rep sets. For the final exercise each set will be for five-reps. The goal is to pick weights that cause you to reach failure at 1, 3, or 5 reps for the respective exercise. This type of training should NOT be done alone, as it is dangerous without a spotter. If you choose a weight that is too heavy or too light, simply adjust for the next set. Follow the rest, tempo, and exercise guidelines mentioned above for standard POWER weeks. Here is a sample workout for back:

1-Deadlifts: 6 x 1
    2-Weighted Pullups: 4 x 3
    3-Bent Rows: 2 x 5

Make 100% sure that you are thoroughly warmed up before getting into your work sets or an injury could occur. This type of training is extremely taxing on the CNS, so also make sure you take measures to maximize your recovery in between each workout. This means meticulous attention to diet, supplementation, and sleep!

REP RANGE WEEK: The standard protocol for REP RANGE week is to pick three exercises per body part, and to do the first for 7-9 reps, the second for 10-12reps, and the third for 13-15 reps. One way I like to break from tradition this week is to again pick three exercises per body part, but to hit each of the three rep ranges during each exercise. As an example, here is what a quad workout might look like:

1-Squats...1 x 13-15, 1 x 10-12, 1 x 7-9
    2-Leg Press...1 x 13-15, 1 x 10-12, 1 x 7-9
    3-Leg Extension...1 x 13-15, 1 x 10-12, 1 x 7-9

*Feel free to reverse the order and start with the lower rep range and work to the higher one as a variation.

Another way I like to spice up REP RANGE week for more advanced lifters is to open up the boundaries on the reps a bit. Although it is not something I recommend you do often, occasionally pushing the reps into the 20-50 range can really encourage a growth spurt by forcing your body to deal with a stress it certainly is not used to, as well as inducing positive metabolic changes and the laying down of more capillary beds within muscle. Here is how I might use this technique to cause the delts to think about packing up, and finding a more sane person to live with:

1-Military Press...2 x 7-9
    2-WG Cable Upright Row...2 x 10-12
    3-Bent Lateral...1 x 13-15, 1 x 16-20
    4-Side Lateral...1 x 21-25*, 1 x 26-50*

*Switch to a 1/0/1 tempo for these sets. Move the weight rhythmically, but not sloppily. On all other sets use the tempo used for standard REP RANGE week.

Training in this manner can be extremely physically and mentally challenging as you will have to deal with a lactic acid burn that will make you want to cry. Also, the length of the very high rep sets will have some people lose focus and concentration, especially if a hot chick in the tiny spandex short walks by. But don't let the girl or the burn get in your way of completing every last rep! Perhaps your perseverance will impress her, especially if you're not bawling like a baby by rep 35!

Variations and Advanced Techniques
    Part II
    by Eric Broser
    Ladies and gentleman reading this article, please forgive me if any of the following text seems incoherent, has many misspelled words, or would only make sense in the Twilight Zone, the Bizarro World, or after eating some of those “funny brownies” you and your buddies used to make in college! I am wrecked…hammered…spent…crushed…destroyed…nauseous… and massively oxygen deprived, and can barely lift my fingers to the keyboard to type, let alone able to put together an intelligent and well-thought-out article on training! So then why in the heck am I trying to write an article under such conditions? Because I just got home from the gym after performing and outrageous SHOCK workout for legs, and I figured what better time to write about SHOCK training then right after a SHOCK workout! Yes, I am very much in the mood to “get down on paper” the exact experience I just lived, but unfortunately, I kind of feel like I only have two semi-functioning brain cells left, and THEY are arguing over whether I should have white rice or a potato with my post workout shake! “C’mon guys, stop bickering…I need you two!”

Ok, maybe its best if I have some food, take a shower, and smack these cobwebs out of my head before I go on? Nahhh, scrap that idea! My legs are too tired and wobbly to get me from here to the kitchen anyway, so I might as well sit here and write! Here it goes…

In part I of “POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK… Variations and Advanced Techniques,” I gave you a quick review about the basic principals behind the original P/RR/S protocol, and then upped the ante by revealing ways to make both POWER and REP RANGE week even more intense and growth promoting. In part II I am going to show you how to rev the intensity of SHOCK week into the stratosphere!

Now, as I mentioned before, earlier today I went to the gym to put the SHOCK treatment to my legs. Knowing that I was going to be writing this article today, I decided to use ALL of the SHOCK techniques I would be discussing…you know, just for the “fun” of it! Yeah right! I figured this would help me be more “colorful” in my description of each technique. And speaking of color, I am just lucky that I didn’t throw up my fruit punch flavored creatine halfway through this torture session! So, if you just ate a big meal, you might want to take some time to digest before reading this, because I don’t want you ruin your new copy of Iron Man! So grab a bucket and read on, if you dare…

Its about 1 pm and I take my normal pre-workout mixture of 5 grams BCAA’s, 5 grams glutamine, and 5 grams creatine mixed in water. I wait about 30 minutes and drink a whey shake along with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. I then throw on some gym clothes, grab my belt, my wraps and MP3 player and head to the gym. It was along the way that I came up with the “brilliant” idea of using all of the SHOCK techniques I wanted to write about…something I am sure to be sorry about in the morning!

Upon arrival I say a few hellos, but avoid getting into any drawn out conversations. It is SHOCK (or should I say Ultra-SHOCK) leg day after all and I need to focus! After a quick trip to the locker room, I head right to my first exercise…Hack Squats.

ADVANCED SHOCK TACTIC # 1

1 and ½ Reps:

For the first set I warm up with 1 plate on each side and do 8 rock bottom reps. The second set is again a warm up, but this time it is 2 plates per side for 6 full range reps. Now, its “go time” as I throw on a third 45 lb plate per side, and then take a minute to contemplate the pain I am about to face. You see, I am not about to do a conventional set because this is not a conventional workout! It is SHOCK week baby and it’s all about pushing past the pain barrier and heading into territory that only a small percentage of lifters are willing to enter. On each rep I am going to slowly sink to rock bottom, then push up only halfway. I will then sink back to the bottom, and then fire myself to the top! That sequence will only be counted as one rep, with the eventual goal of getting 8-10 reps in this vile manner for two all-out sets. Doesn’t sound so bad? Try it with a truly challenging weight, and I guarantee you will rethink your position.

With Hack Squats out of the way, it is time for me to make way over to one of the five Leg Press machines my gym has. Being that my legs feel like rubber, my first thought is to simply go to the one closest to me, but unfortunately, that was not the particular machine I wanted. No…today I wanted to go vertical! Done with a truly full range of motion (where you literally bring your knees into your armpits) the vertical Leg Press is certainly the most grueling.

ADVANCED SHOCK TACTIC # 2

Stage Reps:

To get into the groove of the movement I started with 2 plates per side and did 8 clean reps. After a quick sip of water I threw on another plate and did 6 more deep reps. At this point I started to get butterflies in my stomach as I was keenly aware of the nightmare I was about to voluntarily sink myself into. However, my focus was solid…so much so that the incredibly hot babe doing Stiff Leg Deadlifts behind me could not even throw me off (who am I kidding…I watched her do an entire set before I started mine). With the machine loaded with 4 plates on each side and my feet set firmly on the platform I said a quick prayer (“Dear GOD, why am I doing this…?) and unlocked the safeties. I felt a few people around me looking on in confusion, probably wondering why I was using so little weight (as they would normally see me using almost twice that amount). “Wait and see,” I thought to myself. I slowly began to bring the weight down, but stopped it dead only ¼ of the way. One, two, three, four, five I counted in my head before lowering the weight to the ½ way point. Again, I counted one, two, three, four, five, before finally lowering the platform to the bottom. After a one second pause I exploded the weight back to the starting position and said, “One rep down, 9 to go!” A horrifying thought for sure, but the masochist in me loved every minute of it! Two sets of this craziness, and I was toast.

Sweating as if I were wearing a fur coat on the sun, I poured some cold water on my head and crawled over to my final quad exercise of the day…Leg Extensions. The one extension machine that I really like was being used by a couple of young bodybuilders, and when I asked them how many sets they had left, I was secretly hoping they would say 20 a piece so I could lay down and take a nap! No such luck, however, as they were on their final set. Oh joy (not)!

ADVANCED SHOCK TACTIC # 3

X-Reps:

At this point my quads were twitching and shaking uncontrollably, so I decided to do only one all-out set of extensions. Any more than that, and I was afraid my legs would go on strike and force me to skip training hams! Not an option fellas! After one 6-rep warm up with 100 lbs, I stuck the pin at 180 and took a few deep breaths. I was all too aware I was about to meet my nasty little friend lactic acid head on, and I was not looking forward to it (gotta love him though as he always brings a nice supply of natural GH along with him!). Rep one was really tough as it felt like my quads wanted to simply cramp up, but I fought it off and pushed out 8 more reps in a piston-like fashion. When full reps were finally out of the question, I began doing short, pulsing-type reps in the first 1/3 of the movement (these are the X-reps). I am not sure how many I got, as I began hallucinating that I was lying on a beach next to the hot Stiff Leg Deadlift girl, rubbing oil on her glutes (what better way to distract myself from the searing pain!). As soon as I got up, it felt like a damn broke inside my quads releasing gallons of blood, literally filling my thighs to the point that it felt like my skin would rip from the inside out! X-reps are truly amazing for growth, as they allow you to push past nervous system failure, forcing the type II fibers to continue firing in the exact portion of an exercise where maximum force production and tension takes place (the semi-stretched position). Try them…but bring a fire extinguisher!

As I rolled out of the Leg Extension machine and collapsed to the floor I felt a rush of relief knowing that I would not have to face another quad workout for another week. However, I did not let that comforting thought distract me from the fact that I still needed to SHOCK my hamstrings before I could go home. So, after stretching my quads hard for a couple of minutes, I picked myself up (or should I say pulled myself up, as my thighs seemed to be temporarily boycotting any movement whatsoever), and strolled over to the Lying Leg Curl machine with all the grace of a three-legged dog.

ADVANCED SHOCK TACTIC # 4
    Forced Negatives:

While warming up with a couple of light sets, I tried to motivate myself by thinking about the incredible hamstrings of Tom Platz, Tom Prince, and Flex Wheeler. The fullness and roundness that these men possessed in their hamstrings, especially from the side, was simply awe-inspiring! Picturing myself with that kind of development had me ready and psyched to tear it up! Lucky for me, a friend of mine, who has been utilizing my POWER, REP RANGE, SHOCK training program for quite some time, was at the gym. You see, in order to perform these particular SHOCK sets properly, I was going to need the help of an experienced trainee.

“Yo bro, can you help me with these?”
    “Sure, what do you need?”
    “Some forced negatives.”
    “Ohhh, SHOCK week, huh? Yeah, I’ll help!”
    “Thanks…but please wipe that smile off of your face!”
    “Hehehe…this is going to be fun!”
    “I’m so glad the thought of MY pain makes you smile…you sadist!”

With that, I jumped on the bench and was “ready to rumble!” My goal for the first set was 10 full reps to failure, at which point the real “fun” would begin. The first 7 reps went up pretty easily, but the next three were quite a struggle. Once I finally got that final rep to the top my buddy grabbed a hold of my ankles and began to pull downward toward the floor. I fought him with all of my might until the very bottom (I so badly wanted to make him work almost as hard as me!). But that was just the beginning! He then helped me get back to the top, and again pulled down while I resisted as hard as I could. On the first forced negative it took him about 5 seconds to pull me down, but by the fifth I could not resist at all. Set over! Too bad I had to repeat this excruciating process one more time. One word of warning about this technique…it will make you sorer than you could possibly imagine! Advil anyone?

Now it was time for my final exercise of the day, the Standing Single Leg Curl. This is one of my favorite exercises for hamstrings as it allows for a very powerful contraction, and excellent isolation. It is also an exercise that I like to work heavy. Hence the inclusion of the next form of self-torture…

ADVANCED SHOCK TACTIC # 5
    Rest-Pause:

I had two choices here. One machine has you standing pretty much upright, and the other has you leaning into it. Being that the only way I was even able to stand up at this point was to lean on something, my decision was clear as the following song lyrics ran through my head...”Lean on me, when you're not strong. And I'll be your friend. I'll help you carry on…” But I digress. My plan of attack was only to do one “balls to the wall” set here, but when using this SHOCK tactic, it will feel like 10! I loaded on the entire weight stack and was shooting for just two clean reps, done with an explosive concentric contraction and a controlled negative. Before the first rep I made sure my whole body was tight, and focused all of my energy into my hamstring, as I did not want my lower back to become involved at all. “One…two…three…UP,” I screamed in my head. BOOM, the first rep came up easy! Now, go slow on the way down to a count of three…two…one. Gotta get one more! “UP!” Got it, but no way could I do another. Time to peek up at the clock and wait for 15 seconds to go by. Ok, gonna try for another rep…same weight. “UP!” BAMN, got another one! Rest again, this time for 20 seconds. This process went on until I completed a total of 8 reps. I got 2 reps initially, and then did 6 Rest-Pause reps, starting with a fifteen-second rest, and then increasing it by five seconds between each rep thereafter. This was an absolute killer! But what a way to finish my SHOCK workout!

This was most definitely one of the most intense training sessions I think I have ever performed. My clothes were drenched, my thighs were fried, and my brain was numb. I literally just layed on the floor for about ten minutes, comepletely motionless, before I could even muster the strength to get to the locker room. I was hoping that hot Stiff Leg Deadlift girl would have some sympathy and offer a massage, but I think instead, I fightened her away! But that’s ok, because I was in total bliss knowing that I was DONE!

Now I should point out that normally I would not include all of these advanced SHOCK tactics into one single workout, as it is just too taxing and could lead to injury or overtraining. Instead I would combine maybe one or two advanced techniques with the basic SHOCK week protocol that I outlined in my last two P/RR/S articles. Remember, unless you have been using the basic P/RR/S format for at least 6 months (eight 3-week cycles), you shouldn’t be using any of the advanced tactics just yet, as your muscles and CNS will be unable to properly deal with the stress! And if your body cannot recover from your training sessions, not only will you not make any progress…you could actually go backwards!

Well, I hope you enjoyed that little trip with me to the gym! If you were able to live vicariously through me, then just about now I bet you want to lay down and take a nap! I know I do.

In a future article, I will delve further into P/RR/S variations and describe how it can be used optimally for strength, mass, and cutting cycles.

Lights out for now!

Another SHOCK WEEK Twist!
    I just wrote up this workout for one of my clients, who I have been pounding all week with crazy shock workouts. Here is an example of an antagonistic arm superset program that utilizes two extreme ranges of reps to totally mess with the nervous system.

-SUPERSET: STANDING ALTERNATING DB CURL/ROPE PUSHDOWN...2 X 4-6/16-20
    -SUPERSET: LYING EZ BAR EXT/FRONT DOUBLE BICEPS POSE CABLE CURL...2 X 4-6/16-20
    -SUPERSET: STANDING BB OR EZ BAR CURL/BENCH DIPS...2 X 4-6/16-20
    -SUPERSET: SEATED TWO ARMS OVERHEAD DB EXT/BB REVERSE CURL...2 X 4-6/16-20

This is a killer to shock the arms!

PRRS Heavy/Light Shock Week
    Need a new twist on SHOCK WEEK? Something to totally throw your muscles and CNS off? Try this for example:

CHEST

-SUPERSET: BB INCLINE PRESS/FLAT FLYE...2 X 4-6/12-15
    -SUPERSET: WEIGHTED DIPS/LOW CABLE CROSSOVER...2 X 4-6/12-15
    -DROPSET: MACHINE BENCH PRESS...1 X 4-6, DROP, 12-15 MORE

I guarantee a sick, crazy pump and plenty of soreness!

PRRS Burst Cycling

Just wanted to share with TEAM PRRS a method I have been experimenting with that has led to great results for those that I have tested it on.

I call it PRRS Burst Cycling and it is simply a modified method of the basic format. Here is what it looks like:

P/P/P/RR/RR/RR/S/S/S/P/P/RR/RR/S/S/P/RR/S

Now the idea here is to focus on one hypertrophy "pathway" a bit more than usual. What this can allow for is stength adaptions to take place within each of the weekly protocols (P-RR-S) more efficiently. Down the road, more reps with the same weight or the same reps with more weight will lead to better gains.

Thus, the idea here is to choose a set of the most effective exercises for you (and/or ones that focus on weak points, such as upper chest, brachialis, mid-back, etc) and to stick with them for this entire Burst phase. The goal is to move more weight at each corresponding P-RR-S session so by the final 3-weeks you are far ahead of where you started.

This is just another way to use the principles behind PRRS.

Lightbulb

FD/FS: Four Little Letters that Can Mean BIG GAINS!
    by Eric Broser

Warning: For those Iron Man readers who are afraid of stretch marks, cannot afford to purchase a new wardrobe, or simply do not want to take up more space, please stop reading this article now! Just put the magazine down, slowly back away, grab the remote, and watch some Seinfeld reruns. “No soup for you!”

However, for the rest of you…the one’s that live to grow…sit back with your favorite protein drink, get comfortable, and read my words, because I have a feeling that what follows may be of great interest to you!

The wonderful thing about bodybuilding is, just like life, it is a constant and ongoing learning process. Nobody has all the answers, but if you keep your eyes (and mind) open wide enough, you will slowly but surely pick up more and more pieces of the puzzle.

Several years ago, I introduced a training system to the bodybuilding world called Power, Rep Range, Shock, which I believe contains many of these essential pieces. Most Iron Man readers are intimately familiar with my program, as I have written several articles about it right here in these pages, as well as on many sites all over the Internet. In addition, Steve Holeman and Jonathan Lawson have been utilizing P/RR/S in combination with X-Reps for the last several months, and writing about their experiences in the popular Train, Eat, Grow column.

However, for those of you that might be new to Iron Man, and/or have not had the opportunity to read about my P/RR/S training program (what are you living under a rock?), I think it is important for me to quickly go over the main points, as it is this original program that was the genesis for the material that lies ahead. For those of you that are already P/RR/S users, consider this a quick refresher course!

Basic P/RR/S Training

Power, Rep Range, Shock is a cyclical approach to lifting weights in which you utilize a unique training protocol every week (in 3-week cycles), with the goal of tapping into all of the body’s various growth mechanisms. Each of the three weeks is meant to bring about a specific physiological effect, so that your body cannot adapt to any one form of training, which would eventually result in stagnation. P/RR/S addresses muscle growth from a variety of angles, and allows significant progress to take place on a very consistent, and long-term, basis.

Week # 1 is POWER training, and it is meant to annihilate the highest threshold fast twitch muscle fibers, increase raw strength, and stimulate a greater amount of natural testosterone to course through your veins. Here is the outline for a basic POWER week, along with a sample workout for back:

Rest Between Sets: 3-5 minutes

1-Rack Deadlift: 4 x 4-6
    2-Weighted WG Pull-ups: 3 x 4-6
    3-Underhand Grip BB Bent Row: 3 x 4-6
    4-CG Seated Cable Row: 3 x 4-6

Week # 2 is REP RANGE training, the goal of which is tear through all the intermediary muscle fibers that lie along the continuum from Type I to Type II, induce capillarization, and to stimulate growth producing metabolic adaptations within muscle cells. Here is the outline for a basic REP RANGE week, along with a sample workout for triceps:

Rep Goal: 7-9, 10-12, 13-15, 16-20

***1-second hold at peak contraction for certain exercises (ex. Leg Extensions).

1-Smith CG Bench Press: 2 x 7-9
    2-Lying Triceps Extension: 2 x 10-12
    3-Rope Pushdown: 2 x 13-15
    4-Dumbbell Kickback: 2 x 16-20

Week # 3 is SHOCK training, and a true test of your ability to withstand searing muscle pain! The burn and lactic acid that SHOCK workouts produce will help flood your system with natural GH, literally bathing your cells in one of the most powerful muscle producing, fat incinerating hormones known to science! Here is the outline for a basic SHOCK week, along with a sample workout for delts:

Rep Goal: 8-10 (dropset is 8-10, drop, 6-8)

1-Superset: Seated Side Lateral/Behind the Neck Press: 2 x 8-10 each
    2-Superset: WG Cable Upright Row/Bent Lateral: 2 x 8-10 each
    3-Dropset: Barbell Front Raise: 1 x 8-10, drop, 6-8

Once you have completed the 3-week P/RR/S cycle, return to the beginning and repeat, with the intention of training more intensely on the following cycle. I suggest you use the same exercises for three straight cycles, and try to lift heavier weight and/or increase your reps at each workout. After three full P/RR/S cycles either take a complete week off from the gym, or at least train at low intensity for one week to allow for repair and recovery of joints, muscles, and the CNS. Upon returning to P/RR/S, feel free to switch some or all of the exercises, and prepare to push even harder through the next three cycles.

The Next Step

Like I mentioned earlier, bodybuilding is a constant learning process, and a pursuit where complacency is not welcome (not under my watch!). Even though I knew I had hit upon something wonderful with P/RR/S training, I still took it upon myself to dig deeper. This led me to an advanced version of my program, which I presented to Iron Man readers in a 2006 article entitled, “Power, Rep Range, Shock 2. Variations and Advanced Techniques.” And while the protocols that I presented in that piece once again raised the bar on muscle growth, I have to admit I still remained unsatisfied and hungry for more! I suppose this relentless pursuit of better and more efficient ways to stimulate hypertrophy can be looked upon as somewhat compulsive, but long ago I decided to make it my life’s work to not only explore the outer limits of my own genetic potential, but to help as many others as possible do this as well.

And here we are. So take a big breath, and put on some comfortable shoes, because I now invite you to take the next step!

First Things First

Before going forward I want to take a little time to discuss what muscle growth means and what is really happening when it occurs. Most often people relate hypertrophy to an increase in “protein synthesis,” or the production of new cellular proteins from amino acids. However, the process is far more complex than this, requiring an overwhelming cascade of physiological events to occur in a specific order, while dozens of bodily hormones and chemicals rush into action. To discuss all of this in depth would take the space of entire book, and likely bore you tears, so let’s skip to the meat and potatoes of this whole thing because I really don’t want any of you to fall asleep, or even worse, dehydrate (and besides, meat and potatoes are yummy).

In order for muscle hypertrophy to occur, new cells (known as satellite cells) must fuse with existing muscle fibers. Normally these satellite cells are dormant, and sit “minding their own business” adjacent to muscle fiber sarcolemma.

An intense weight-training workout can serve as a trigger for satellite cell activation, leading to the first stage of hypertrophy, known as proliferation. It is at this point that these cells will begin to divide and multiply, forming into myoblasts. The myoblasts then fuse with existing muscle fibers and donate their nuclei in a process called differentiation. Because muscle cells contain many nuclei, increasing their number allows the cell to regulate more cytoplasm, inducing more actin and myosin (the two main contractile proteins in skeletal muscle) to be produced. This increases overall cell size and protein content, leading to a larger muscle mass.
    So, in a nutshell, what bodybuilding comes down to is a continuous process of damage and repair, over and over. Hard weight training traumatizes our muscles, causing injury to the fibers, leading the body to respond by not only repairing the damage, but also making the muscle fibers bigger and stronger in the process (however, this is only if the body is given the proper rest and flooded with enough nutrients to do so).

What this means to you is that if you are not training intensely enough to damage your muscle fibers, your body will never turn on the anabolic “machinery” necessary to force hypertrophy to take place. And, even if you do train hard enough, but don’t give your body the building blocks necessary (via food and supplements) to complete the repair and building process, you will continually take one step back, and one step forward…leaving you literally standing still.

Enter FD/FS Training!

FD/FS stands for “Fiber Damage/Fiber Saturation,” and is a training method I have been working with and tweaking over the last 8 months, while looking to add some significant muscle mass to areas that I consider weak points. I should mention that in no way have I abandoned P/RR/S training, but have used FD/FS to greatly augment it.

With FD/FS the workout is basically broken into 2 phases. In the first phase (fiber damage), the goal is to utilize training protocols known to cause significant micro-trauma in the muscle fibers. As I mentioned earlier, this is a necessary step to setting the growth process in motion. The techniques to be used in order to achieve this goal with the utmost precision are: 1) Heavy Weights, 2) Eccentric Emphasis, and 3) Stretch Under Tension. If you have ever performed a workout using any of these methods, you more than likely felt a good degree of soreness in the target muscles over the following days, which is indicative of the type fiber damage we are looking for. However, when all of these techniques are combined properly, you definitely will experience a whole new level of muscle pain, ache (the good kind!) and stiffness. Now that is all well and good, but remember, your body must be able to not only repair all of this damage, but also reinforce the muscle fibers by making them larger and stronger. Digging a whole is fine, as long as you not only refill the hole, but also pile some new dirt on top! Got it?

This is where the second phase of the workout comes in (and where the magic happens)…fiber saturation. Once you have damaged the muscle fibers the goal is to now bathe them with as much nutrient/hormone-rich blood as humanly possible. That’s right, it’s time to chase the pump…big time! In other words, I don’t want you to wait to get home for the recovery process to begin. I want you to facilitate immediate repairs, and take advantage of the fact that during a workout (especially when high repetitions are involved) there is as much as five times the normal amount of blood flowing directly to the muscles than when at rest! In my experimentation with various FS protocols, I have found that what works best are: 1) Very High Repetitions, 2) Continuous Tension, and 3) Post Activation Supersets (compound movement followed by isolation movement). The goal when performing FS sets is to use a “piston-like” tempo, where the weight is almost constantly moving. There is no time for “stretch and squeeze,” as all we wish to do is force so much blood into the target muscle that it feels like it may burst! The muscle has already undergone the trauma necessary during FD, and now it is time to nourish it!

Speaking of Nourishment…

In order for FD/FS training to work to its potential, there is also a nutritional protocol to be used along with the program. The types of training techniques utilized during the FD phase are very brutal on both the muscles and CNS, which is why the FS stage of the workout is a necessary component. Since there will be a tremendous amount of blood traveling to the muscles during FS, we can take further advantage of this by overloading the system with certain nutrients before, during, and right after training. The period starting from right before the workout to immediately after is your greatest opportunity nutritionally to hasten the muscle building process!

A Better Look

Now that I have verbally bombarded you with “what’s” and “why’s” of FD/FS, lets take a look at what a typical day of training might have in store with a sample chest workout for both intermediate and advanced trainees (beginners have no place dabbling in such advanced training methods just yet).

Intermediate FD/FS Workout:

-Bench Press…2 x 3-4 (3/0/X tempo)
    -Incline Press…2 x 5-6 (6/1/1 tempo)
    -Incline DB Flye…2 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Machine Bench Press…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Smith Incline Press…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Cable Crossover…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo)

*Rest between sets on first three movements should be about 2-3 minutes. Rest between sets of last three movements should be no more than 1-2 minutes.

Advanced FD/FS Workout:

-Bench Press…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Smith Incline Press…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo) or…Eccentric Only Smith Incline Press**…2 x 5-6 (6 second negatives)
    -Machine Bench Press…2 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Machine Dips (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Pec Deck (1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

*Rest between sets on first three movements should be about 2-3 minutes. Rest between sets of high rep movement should be no more than 1-2 minutes. Rest between exercises during superset should be no more than 15 seconds.
    **When performing an eccentric only set you must have one to two spotters available to lift the weight back into the start position. Remember, most trainees are 30-40% stronger when lifting eccentrically than concentrically.

Feed the Machine

As I discussed, the nutritional aspect of this program is almost as important as the workouts themselves. In fact, I would say that FD/FS training is about 30-40% more effective for muscle hypertrophy when the following protocol is utilized. It was not until I began using this exact approach that my gains began to skyrocket, allowing me to add about 8 lbs over a 3-week period of FD/FS!

45 minutes before training:

-Whey Protein Isolate…50 grams
    -Waxy Maize Starch or Maltodextrin…50 grams
    -Vitamin C…1000 mg
    -Phosphatidylserine…800 mg

Sip starting 15 minutes before workout and then throughout workout:

-Waxy Maize Starch or Maltodextrin…25 grams
    -Gatorade or similar drink containing electrolytes and glucose…25 grams
    -Essential Amino Acids 5-10 grams
    -BCAA’s…15-20 grams
    -Glutamine…15-20 grams
    -Creatine…5 grams
    -Beta Alanine…3 grams

15 minutes post workout:

-Whey Protein Isolate…50 grams
    -Waxy Maize Starch or Maltodextrin…50 grams
    -Antioxidant Blend (I like Radox by Syntrax)…1 serving

*Other ingredients can be used as well at all three times, such as ATP, citrulline, arginine, ALA, etc, but the above is more than enough to feed your muscles what they need.

Notes

Because of the extremely demanding nature of FD/FS training I highly recommend that it only be utilized during periods of the year when gaining muscle mass is the primary goal. You need to be well fed and well rested to fully reap the rewards of this program. With the exception of the most advanced bodybuilders, and/or those that do not train drug-free, I do not feel that FD/FS should be used during a cutting phase.

Further, FD/FS was not created for continual use, and should be cycled in and out of your regular training regimen, whether it be Power/Rep Range/Shock, DC, HIT, or any other method. It should only be used for 2-3 weeks periods or both physical and/or mental burnout can occur. Consider FD/FS as a “short burst” mega-mass gaining strategy!

Oh shoot, look what time it is, I gotta go! It’s time for me to go see my psychotherapist. You see, he is a client of mine and I had him try an FD/FS workout. He is now convinced that I am completely out of my mind, and desperately need help! But I don’t think I need a therapist…only a tailor!!

Peace Iron Warriors!

Eric broser: I personally get burnt out if I run FDFS for more than 2 weeks. I put so much effort into FDFS that I think my CNS just says "no more," after 2 weeks.
    I recommend doing a rep range week in between FDFS cycles and not a POWER week. This is because FDFS is tough on the CNS, and power training also taps heavily in the CNS as well. RR week will give your CNS a little bit of a break.

One more secret: During FDFS training is a good time to increase your intake of high saturated fat protein sources like red meat and eggs.

For 8 weeks I would use something along the lines of this:

1-POWER
    2-REP RANGE
    3-FDFS
    4-FDFS
    5-REP RANGE
    6-SHOCK
    7-FDFS
    8-FDFS

Sample from tank

Chest

-Smith Incline Press…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo) or…Eccentric Only Smith Incline Press**…2 x 5-6 (6 second negatives)
    -Superset: Machine Dips (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Pec Deck (1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Biceps

-BB Curl…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Hammer Preacher Curl…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -DB Preacher Curl…1 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Machine Curl…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Reverse Curl (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /DB Hammer Curl (1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Back

-Seated Row…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -DB Row…2 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -WG Lat Pulldown…2 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Deadlift (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Hyperextension(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Quads

-Hack Squat…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Leg Press…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -Leg Extension…2 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Unilateral Leg Extension…2 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Leg Press machine(1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Walking DB Lunge(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Hamstrings

-Lying Leg Curl…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Straight Leg Deadlift…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -Single Leg Curl…1 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Seated Leg Curl…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Adduction (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Abduction(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Shoulders

-WG Upright Row…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Shoulder Press Machine…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -DB Shoulder Press…2 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Side Lateral Machine…2 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset:Cable Front Lateral (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Cable Rear Lateral(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Triceps

-CG Bench Press…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -V-bar Pressdown…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -Overhead Extension…1 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Machine Extension…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Dips(1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Reverse Pressdown(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Sample from TaPo31

Chest

Biceps

-BB Curl…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Hammer Preacher Curl…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -DB Preacher Curl…1 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Machine Curl…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Reverse Curl (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /DB Hammer Curl (1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Back

-Seated Row…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -DB Row…2 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -WG Lat Pulldown…2 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Deadlift (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Hyperextension(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Quads

-Hack Squat…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Leg Press…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -Leg Extension…2 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Unilateral Leg Extension…2 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Leg Press machine(1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Walking DB Lunge(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Hamstrings

-Lying Leg Curl…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Straight Leg Deadlift…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -Single Leg Curl…1 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Seated Leg Curl…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Adduction (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Abduction(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Shoulders

-WG Upright Row…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -Shoulder Press Machine…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -DB Shoulder Press…2 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Side Lateral Machine…2 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset:Cable Front Lateral (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Cable Rear Lateral(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

Triceps

-CG Bench Press…2 x 3-4 + 1-2 forced reps (3/0/X tempo)
    -V-bar Pressdown…2 x 2-3 +1 + 1 + 1 rest/pause style (6/1/1 tempo)
    -Overhead Extension…1 x 7-8 (2/4/1 tempo)
    -Machine Extension…1 x 30-40 (1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps)
    -Superset: Dips(1/0/1 tempo; non-lock-out reps) /Reverse Pressdown(1/0/1 tempo)…1 x 20-25 each

PENCILNECK

thanks man

I just realised I train like a girl...

Quote Originally Posted by No Shelter RATM View Post
    I just realised I train like a girl...
    no worries. i dont train. i stimulate the muscle and feel the pump then i leave the gym.

RX MEMBER

this is the reason why i like these threads, very informative.. thanks

RX MEMBER

Enroll yourself now on No excuse fitness for you to achieve your desire shape, they’ve got a lot of services that they can offer to you. And they also got a lot of professional and experienced personal trainer. Visit their website noexcusefitness.com now or you can call them in this number (949) 313-4034.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12