Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Forum Leader: Contest Prep Scoobysnacks's Avatar

Default Show Preparation Tips and Pointers

Wasnt sure what to call this thread. But, what I want to see here are tips and pointers regarding prep, not just posting a diet, but what has worked for your tan, what has worked for posing music, trunks, day of travel (packing food). Also you can post any learning experiences, as in I wont do that again. I make no promise that what everyone posts is correct, as it will be there own opinion. Ill lead off with a few.

Trunks: The old school thick sides and large backside coverage are out. Although I dont lean towards the Brazilian cut either. I go middle of the road I think its called Flex cut. I purchase my trunks at Cherrybombs.net but Im sure others have some other good places.

Tan: Ive been sprayed, Ive used ProTan and Ive used DreamTan. Spraying works the best for me. Just make sure you loofa'ed leading up to getting sprayed and stopped putting on lotion a few days prior. Ive used ProTan and Ive never been dark enough even with 4 coats. Ive put DreamTan on top in a thin coat, but Ive seen some bad DreamTan applications where the guy looked like he rolled around in mud out back. If you are comepeting at the national level leave the DreamTan at home I can tell you that much from what Ive read.

Ill post more as I think of them, but this is an open dialogue thread so whatever tips, tricks or pointers you need help with or want to share please do.
    Last edited by Scoobysnacks; 02-27-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

That link for trunks is an adult dating site......

Default music

I believe this should suit your physique. If you are 143 lb bantam dont come out to heavy metal and throw most musculars all over the stage. If symmetry is your strong suit you will probably want music you can transition well too. If size is your strong suit then a heavier metal music may suit you.

Think about how you want to pose and present yourself, then pick your music wisely.

Over the years Ive used Fugees, Here I Come You Cant Hide (not sure of real title), 311 (Amber), I used some instrumentals from the movie 300. I didnt care for it once I really thought about it, that was a mistake.

I personally need something that when I hear it, it makes me want to start my posing and transitioning.

Another thing, pick a few and burn them on your MP3 then train to them, I bet over your 16 week diet one will start to stick out more, then you can start to think of poses and transitions as you are doing cardio or training, etc.

Ss
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Quote Originally Posted by mr.genetics View Post
    That link for trunks is an adult dating site......
    Ive fixed it, check now.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Cool. A good price too.

while we are on the subject of trunks, you want the thin sides to sit high up in the hip grooves, so it creates a bit of a V in the front, not flat across, that will cut you off giving a less desirable appearance. My avi and profile pic demonstrate what I mean.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Thumbs up Drink a shot

HAVE A SHOT OF J.D helps the veins pop. rids last bite of sub fluids from under the skin.

and that works for me. im not saying its tru for every one.

just works for me

and it takes the edge off a lil befor u step on stage.

Ive done just a bit of wine the night before, about 4 oz, the alcohol pulls water into the stool and out the body thus drying one out a bit more. But, you have to be careful or you will end up with a splitting headache in the morning. You dont need much. But its certainly not a must to be dry.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Default Final week discussion

1) If you arent lean enough, having that thin skinned look, no amount of pointers will help.
    2) If you dont understand how to manipulate, carbs, water, sodium and potassium you are best off just sticking to your diet and maybe getting in a little bit more carbs either thurs or fri depending on how your body processes them.
    3) It takes 3 grams water to seat 1 gram carbs. You can use this to your advantage to pull sub q. Say you eat 300 carbs, that would need 900 grams water, what happens if you only take in 600 grams, the carbs will pull the water from under the skin, make sense?
    4) Dont cut out your sodium completely, you may adjust it a tad, but Ive seen more physiques ruined this way.
    5) Dont cut water to ridiculous levels, safest bet is probably to keep it high all week taper it a bit friday then drop it friday night and sip saturday...you need some water to be full on stage. Its a balancing act.
    6) Prep H doesnt do shit, dont mess with it, the active water pulling ingredient has been removed.

So what have we learned, dont cut sodium completely, dont cut water completely, and drying out is a process of loading some carbs, the amount depends on you and your preparation.

Think SLIGHT tweaks.

If you are ready early, a trial run is best.

These are just some talking points and pointers, nothing around this is set in stone. You will hear some people do a fat loading with very little carbs, for me, as an ecto without great bellies, this doesnt work, but Ive learned that through trial and error.

Ss
    Last edited by Scoobysnacks; 03-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

If you're using Protan or anything similar, be sure to either coat your nails w/ vasaline or paint them w/ clear polish before applying any tanning agent. Otherwise you'll look like a chronic chain smoker of 40yrs. w/ nice brown nails for wks. afterwards. You can't wash it off your nails; it will only wear off.
    BTW, this looks like a great site. Glad to be here.

Very cool thread! I'm 9 weeks out of my 1st show, and insanely hunting down all the advice/suggestions I can find. Here's a question I was pondering that you experienced competitors can help with,.. do you change your split as the show gets closer? I've been on a 5 day split for a while now, and have begun doing 2 days of interval work (15-20 mins) on my shorter session days. Would I be better served utilizing an antagonistic superset approach, possibly getting a metabolic boost from the added intensity? I tried this the last week and a half, and honestly do not feel like I am doing my msucles (especially my weaker areas) justice. I know some Natty pros (I talk to Jim Cordova) will train for growth right up until the show.

Thanks. This should be a very cool thread.

S

Quote Originally Posted by the mighty stu View Post
    Very cool thread! I'm 9 weeks out of my 1st show, and insanely hunting down all the advice/suggestions I can find. Here's a question I was pondering that you experienced competitors can help with,.. do you change your split as the show gets closer? I've been on a 5 day split for a while now, and have begun doing 2 days of interval work (15-20 mins) on my shorter session days. Would I be better served utilizing an antagonistic superset approach, possibly getting a metabolic boost from the added intensity? I tried this the last week and a half, and honestly do not feel like I am doing my msucles (especially my weaker areas) justice. I know some Natty pros (I talk to Jim Cordova) will train for growth right up until the show.

Thanks. This should be a very cool thread.

S
    I will not change my attitude of training to build muscle the entire time. Nothing changes, and usually I really dont lose strength until very deep into prep, right now Im 16 weeks out and started VERY slowly at 20 weeks and Im getting stronger.

I would not lighten the load or change what built the muscle, what built it will keep it.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

#1 posing, posing and more posing...nothing worse then somebody with a great physique, who does not know how to show it off. Or vice versa, someone with a subpar physique can place much better then they otherwise would if they know how to show off their strong points. Practice makes perfect and you will feel more comfortable and confident on stage.

#2 Shave well in advance of the show in case you have never shaved before and are prone to ingrown hairs and irritation.

#3 Don't get caught up worrying about others who will be competing...worry about yourself and your prep since that is what you can control.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    #1 posing, posing and more posing...nothing worse then somebody with a great physique, who does not know how to show it off. Or vice versa, someone with a subpar physique can place much better then they otherwise would if they know how to show off their strong points. Practice makes perfect and you will feel more comfortable and confident on stage.

#2 Shave well in advance of the show in case you have never shaved before and are prone to ingrown hairs and irritation.

#3 Don't get caught up worrying about others who will be competing...worry about yourself and your prep since that is what you can control.
    #1 and #3 are EXCELLENT points. Now for #2 I do like to keep the upper body groomed as the show nears, but the legs I have to wait until the final days right before I apply my tanner. If I do it early the hair grows back in the upper legs/thigh region and leads to really bad skin bumps, after the show I deal with them, but leading in I dont want that, maybe thats just me though.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    #1 and #3 are EXCELLENT points. Now for #2 I do like to keep the upper body groomed as the show nears, but the legs I have to wait until the final days right before I apply my tanner. If I do it early the hair grows back in the upper legs/thigh region and leads to really bad skin bumps, after the show I deal with them, but leading in I dont want that, maybe thats just me though.
    Interesting...I have heard of others who experience the same thing as you, but for myself and others that I have known, it seems that starting the shaving process early allows for the skin to adapt and after a few weeks irritation no longer occurs...that's why it's so true when people say "you have to find what works for you"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast