Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

i'm planning to do my first show in september and feel i have so much to learn. thank you for all this great info guys and gals. it's so helpful!!

PENCILNECK

any tips on how to apply the color to your face?...i always seem to look like a caveman by the time i put all that stuff on...

Forum Leader: Contest Prep Scoobysnacks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeezy View Post
    any tips on how to apply the color to your face?...i always seem to look like a caveman by the time i put all that stuff on...
    first you have to be careful at the hairline as color will build up there. What I do if Im tanning myself (I get sprayed if its offered at the show, so much easier) is pour some protan in a bowl, and dip the corner of the sponge applicator into the solution. And apply a light coat. I usually repeat it in the morning. I usually put the first application on the night before as far as the face is concerned.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

I ended up looking like a ghost of 5 coats of Jan Tana. I sweat like crazy in the heat. And we had to wear full body coverage when not on stage. I ended up using dream tan the cream in the finals and it was much better.

Any thoughts on what could have helped my color?
    SHAWNBELLON.COM
    Online Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I ended up looking like a ghost of 5 coats of Jan Tana. I sweat like crazy in the heat. And we had to wear full body coverage when not on stage. I ended up using dream tan the cream in the finals and it was much better.

Any thoughts on what could have helped my color?
    Better skin prep, possibly. At least one week out you should be loofa"ing your entire body. This will remove the dead skin. The hour before applying your first coat rinse off one more time and this time after you wash use some baking soda on the skin while in the show then rinse that off, this will neutralize the ph and allow the skin to take the color better.

Also, you are probably going to need a base tan. Dream Tan like you found it is the only way I was ever dark enough when I applied my own color. Id use ProTan and then use a thin coat of Dream Tan. Gotta be careful to slap it in and not just rub a shit ton on or it looks horrible.

Now I always use the spray services at the show. Not only does it save at least 5 hrs of your time and your partners time, but Im always dark enough now.

Ss
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

I think that is what I will follow then. Thanks!
    SHAWNBELLON.COM
    Online Strength Coach

im preping for a show in november gona be my first, my only problem im having is when to cut out sodium and how to carb up exactly.. any tips??

Quote Originally Posted by GottaGetLean View Post
    im preping for a show in november gona be my first, my only problem im having is when to cut out sodium and how to carb up exactly.. any tips??
    Dont cut sodium, big mistake. You can taper it slightly. Ive found the easiest way to be able to do this and not flatten is to hike your sodium up at the start of the diet. I do this by adding 1/4 tsp of sea salt to all 6-7 meals. Sure you will gain some water weight at first but then the body will settle back into homeostasis. So what youve done is tricked it to acclimate to a higher level, so when its time you can simply not add 1/4 sea salt to say three of your meals. In this way you are still getting enough sodium but you created a shift. Just one way to do it. Some people dont mess with sodium at all, and I can tell you its probably best to only slightly adjust or not at all. Especially for your first show.

Carbing up, thats depends on a lot of factors. I suggest really taking stock of how your body reacts to carbs, carb ups and low carb during the dieting process. In general many start on Weds and taper it in to the show, with the highest intake on Weds, what that amount should be will differ based on a lot of factors.

Lastly, Ill leave you with this. Its better to be slightly undercarbed than overcarbed and blurry.

Ss
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

so im putting on a few coats of protan on wednesday and the show is saturday. will 3 more coats on friday be good (total of 5 coats)? does everyone shower after all the coats or just leave it on kinda with that weird gunk/residue stuff as well?

pretty much im asking do you guys take a rinse after a few applications?

I rinse after my early coats, but I dont rinse off my friday eve coats unless Im reapplying in morning.

Oh and 5 coats is never enough for me. I either have to do more or I have to use Dream Tan. I just get sprayed by the contest sanctioned sprayer, much darker and save about 6 hrs of your time.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

PENCILNECK

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    Dont cut sodium, big mistake. You can taper it slightly. Ive found the easiest way to be able to do this and not flatten is to hike your sodium up at the start of the diet. I do this by adding 1/4 tsp of sea salt to all 6-7 meals. Sure you will gain some water weight at first but then the body will settle back into homeostasis. So what youve done is tricked it to acclimate to a higher level, so when its time you can simply not add 1/4 sea salt to say three of your meals. In this way you are still getting enough sodium but you created a shift. Just one way to do it. Some people dont mess with sodium at all, and I can tell you its probably best to only slightly adjust or not at all. Especially for your first show.

Carbing up, thats depends on a lot of factors. I suggest really taking stock of how your body reacts to carbs, carb ups and low carb during the dieting process. In general many start on Weds and taper it in to the show, with the highest intake on Weds, what that amount should be will differ based on a lot of factors.

Lastly, Ill leave you with this. Its better to be slightly undercarbed than overcarbed and blurry.

Ss
    i've been watching your posts, and they've helped me alot in prep for my first show. my theory involves potassium. i figure, when i carb up, i'll use foods rich in potassium (raisins, bananas) to pull more water into the muscle cells, rather than holding it under the skin. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by latissimus26 View Post
    i've been watching your posts, and they've helped me alot in prep for my first show. my theory involves potassium. i figure, when i carb up, i'll use foods rich in potassium (raisins, bananas) to pull more water into the muscle cells, rather than holding it under the skin. what do you think?
    For the way I think, it makes perfect sense which is why I like to carb up with white potatoes and sweet, both loaded with potassium. Not as big of a fan of bannanas, not that they dont have a ton of potassium I just dont get as full on fruit. I had two post workout the other night and it just felt different than when i have a white or sweet post workout. It was the same or more carbs, but I still felt flatter. YOu can throw in raisins and fruit but Id rely on sweets and whites for the potassium. Just how I do things. A mixture would do fine.

Good Luck

Ss
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

PENCILNECK

awesome. thanks so much. i never even gave potatoes a thought. i was shooting for something more low glycemic so i, naturally, just referred straight to fruit. how many grams per bodywieght lbs do you think? i was planning on 2g/lb on wed, 1.5g/lb on thurs, and 1g/lb on fri and sat.

PENCILNECK

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    For the way I think, it makes perfect sense which is why I like to carb up with white potatoes and sweet, both loaded with potassium. Not as big of a fan of bannanas, not that they dont have a ton of potassium I just dont get as full on fruit. I had two post workout the other night and it just felt different than when i have a white or sweet post workout. It was the same or more carbs, but I still felt flatter. YOu can throw in raisins and fruit but Id rely on sweets and whites for the potassium. Just how I do things. A mixture would do fine.

Good Luck

Ss
    you're the man! i did some further research on the potatoes. they blow the fruit away as far as potassium content. looks as though red potatoes may a good way to go as well, though they don't have as much fiber.

FREAK

An easy way that I found to apply the protan rather than using the sponge was to use handi-wipes(Wal-Mart for like 5 bucks). It stretches out the bottle too. I used one bottle with the handi-wipes and there was a guy at the show that sponged on 3 bottles and I was WAY darker than he was. Just spry the wipe down and rub it on. I can usually get about 20 coats out of a bottle this way and it takes about 5 min for the coats to dry. It was time consuming, so for this show, I'm getting sprayed a couple of times before and using Jantana competition color before I get on stage.

handi-wipes.jpg

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast