Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN Diabetics

BARBARIAN BROTHER Diabetic Muscle's Avatar

Default ATTN Diabetics

I have seen a few diabetics posting on this site. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to sharing info on insulin usage, diet, and anything else that comes up. This is a very unique disease and it seems to me that everyone has a different approach. However, we are all working to the same goal in that we want to be healthy. We have a wonderful resource on this site in Colette, but that doesn't mean we can't help each other just through our personal experiences. If anybody is interested let me know.

Default I am diabetic

Hi, I am type 1 diabetic and have been on insulin therapy for over 4 years. Colette saved my life! Anyway, whatever you need to know about insulin usage try Colette first as she is the expert.... if you are unable to contact her or slow to get a response... OR... if she is uncomfortable with answering your "hardcore" questions then feel free to contact me. I will help anyway I can. Keep in mind that I use just enough insulin to maintain my health. I do not use additional insulin with the purpose to adding size though this would be easy to do. At 43 years of age and looking the way I alredy do, I see no point in adding more muscle. It's just a personal decision for me.
    Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by ktaylor966 View Post
    I do not use additional insulin with the purpose to adding size though this would be easy to do.
    I'm surprised you say this. Over the yrs I have read much about insulin and how it is a very potent drug. I have tried different dosing schedules with insulin and found it has NEVER given any extra muscle size; it has put on fat as it's the hormone responsible for doing this. I am not saying you are wrong, but were you lean at the time? So many people I know that have experimented with it have done so while either too fat to tell if they put on any lean mass or just on a plethora of other drugs.

feel free to PM me

I find at my bf levels if I use more than 70 units of humalog(I'm on the pump) a day I look like the good year blimp. I only eat carbs three times a day. Breakfast, preworkout, post-workout. I do use bbq sauce on my meat so there are some small amount of carbs with each meal but I would say less than 8 per meal. What about water retention? I plan on using Colette to help me prep for my show but I just don't have the funds to use her both now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Diabetic Muscle View Post
    I find at my bf levels if I use more than 70 units of humalog(I'm on the pump) a day I look like the good year blimp. I only eat carbs three times a day. Breakfast, preworkout, post-workout. I do use bbq sauce on my meat so there are some small amount of carbs with each meal but I would say less than 8 per meal. What about water retention? I plan on using Colette to help me prep for my show but I just don't have the funds to use her both now and then.
    well how high is your BF? If it's pretty high than you arn't going to be able to distinguish whether your "bloated" or not.
    Water retention? depends if you're natural or not, if your a natural then water retention won't be an issue.

What is your macronutrient breakdown for a day? I'm at P/C/F 250/400/150 right now and my insulin unit:carb ratio (I use a pump) varies depending on the time of day and whether it's pre/post workout

I plan on doing a comp in June, I'll be using Dr.Joe Klemzcewski to help with diet

insulin can quickly cause water retention IMO. Some of the things I have experienced over the yrs never made sense on paper, but have happened time and time again with me in the real world. For example both Winstrol and clen had a very profound effect on my insulin sensitivity, each and every time I have done them, while test seems to do the opposite.

Colette def knows her shit and I'm sure she will be a great help to you.

One thing I have seemed to notice (by giving massive amounts of blood tests a day) was that no matter the intensity of cardio (or insulin for that matter) I always seemed to notice irregularities when it comes to cardio. Sometimes my BS would plummet at either high or low intensities and other times do nothing. I dont know if any of you have experience with it but let me know. If not I'll do what I can to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    insulin can quickly cause water retention IMO. Some of the things I have experienced over the yrs never made sense on paper, but have happened time and time again with me in the real world. For example both Winstrol and clen had a very profound effect on my insulin sensitivity, each and every time I have done them, while test seems to do the opposite.
    Interesting, I assume the winny/clen increased sensitivity? and test brought insulin resistance?

Colette def knows her shit and I'm sure she will be a great help to you.

One thing I have seemed to notice (by giving massive amounts of blood tests a day) was that no matter the intensity of cardio (or insulin for that matter) I always seemed to notice irregularities when it comes to cardio. Sometimes my BS would plummet at either high or low intensities and other times do nothing. I dont know if any of you have experience with it but let me know. If not I'll do what I can to figure it out.
    I notice that if I have a bolus amount of insulin active when I do cardio it's effectivness goes WAYYYY up, so if I do cardio I try to do it at least 2 hours after giving insulin, since my humolog is pretty much done at that point

Quote Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
    well how high is your BF? If it's pretty high than you arn't going to be able to distinguish whether your "bloated" or not.
    Water retention? depends if you're natural or not, if your a natural then water retention won't be an issue.

What is your macronutrient breakdown for a day? I'm at P/C/F 250/400/150 right now and my insulin unit:carb ratio (I use a pump) varies depending on the time of day and whether it's pre/post workout

I plan on doing a comp in June, I'll be using Dr.Joe Klemzcewski to help with diet
    According to skinfold test done first thing in the morning I'm 16-17% BF. I had a doctor look at me like I was crazy but high carbs makes me swell up like a sponge. I'm natural currently. I get insane pumps without any NO products. Sometimes to the point I have to stop working out. Generally its 300/150/120. I think it also depends how your body reacts to carbs. Mine seems to be sensitive to them. I'm 1iu to 6 carbs. How long you been a diabetic?

Interesting, I assume the winny/clen increased sensitivity? and test brought insulin resistance?

I notice that if I have a bolus amount of insulin active when I do cardio it's effectivness goes WAYYYY up, so if I do cardio I try to do it at least 2 hours after giving insulin, since my humolog is pretty much done at that point
    I have actually been told by a couple of mds that test will increase sensitivity. I did ask in reference to hrt so higher dosages might have a different effect. I bet clen will run your bgs higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Diabetic Muscle View Post
    According to skinfold test done first thing in the morning I'm 16-17% BF. I had a doctor look at me like I was crazy but high carbs makes me swell up like a sponge. I'm natural currently. I get insane pumps without any NO products. Sometimes to the point I have to stop working out. Generally its 300/150/120. I think it also depends how your body reacts to carbs. Mine seems to be sensitive to them. I'm 1iu to 6 carbs. How long you been a diabetic?
    ahh interesting

THe most resistant I am is first thing in the morning, at that time my ratio is 1iu:8 carbs (if I'm not working out) and post-wo or later in the day I'm 1:13 carbs, so I'm a lil more sensitive
    I've been diabetic since I was 13, am 21 now.

Quite the opposite actually. I had to stop win because it almost completely blunted the effects of insulin...i was strong as an ox though, repping out with the max dumbells at my gym for shoulder presses like it was a warm-up.

I have read in a few places that test should increase resistance, that may be the case for some or even what 'should happen', but for me I always have to cut my insulin way back.

If your dieting for a show I really think you should start way before 16 weeks out just to see what will happen. Ya really cant do cardio or cut your carbs if your blood sugar is dipping into the 40's. Next time you talk to her ask Colette how far out she would start her diet.

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Quite the opposite actually. I had to stop win because it almost completely blunted the effects of insulin...i was strong as an ox though, repping out with the max dumbells at my gym for shoulder presses like it was a warm-up.

I have read in a few places that test should increase resistance, that may be the case for some or even what 'should happen', but for me I always have to cut my insulin way back.

If your dieting for a show I really think you should start way before 16 weeks out just to see what will happen. Ya really cant do cardio or cut your carbs if your blood sugar is dipping into the 40's. Next time you talk to her ask Colette how far out she would start her diet.
    oh, well I don't plan on taking anything but I was just curious..I figured a stim/antagonist like clen would decrease insulin needs

Cardio is definitely a pain, I find once I get over 20 min or so my glucose levels really start to fall, it's not a big deal if I'm bulking but if preping for a show too many issues like that could really set me back

PENCILNECK

Hey guys. I'm Type 1 and just starting to actually think about long term health.
    My sugars have always been well controlled, but my laziness has meant high levels of injections. 70 units of Levemir (slow acting) twice a day and 40 of Novorapid (fast acting) with each meal

I've been going to the gym for 3 weeks now and loving it, doing cardio and resistance workouts. Trying to lose the fat and gain some tone to my muscles.

Naturally my sugars have reacted in a major way and I've had some serious lows, but they only really came in week 3 the first 2 weeks didn't really seem to change much. Is this something you've experienced? and are they likely to keep playing up or settle to a new insulin need?

What suppliments should I be considering/avoiding (remember also I'm only just starting and not really wanting the body builder look, but would appriciate some quick results to help with the motivation).

Are their any questions I should be asking???

straying a little off track here....my concern is the amount of bodybuilders who are NOT diabetic abusing insulin these days....

Has anyone experience increased insulin sensitivity from weight training & cardio? Also does insulin sensitivity fluctuate with training phases?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast