Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    IFBB Pro & Senior Forum Administrator tammyp's Avatar

Default off season support thread!

melissa had a great idea for this.....!!!!

NPC Bodybuilding Competitor 2hot4u's Avatar

Well, are you going to get us started? I am in the same boat you are but haven't even been able to workout yet!! 2 more weeks and watch out!!

Here's the approach I have taken
    when i first lost weight i was tiny size 1-3 and was able to carry bf at 18% and look great wear cute clothes etc
    As i gained muscle even at 14% i could no longer look like i did before the muscle

so i had to decide either look teeny tiny year round or be a bodybuilder and i chose i want to be a bodybuilder and that means i am not gonna fit i those tiny clothes in the off season but once i made that conscious decision that i AM a bodybuilder accepting off season isn't a prob

and i don't get far from stage wt 20lbs and that counts the ton of water i hold i dropped 10lbs of water the last 2 weeks for this show but even at that i look bulky and "fat" cuz only 5'1"

ARNOLD LIKE

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    melissa had a great idea for this.....!!!!
    She was bound to get one...

im feeling better now that im really getting some good workouts in. im just avoiding the scale and really focusing on growing. but tomorrow ill probably feel fat again.

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

I'm officially in off season and am finding that mini goals to keep my weight down are going to really help me. I'll be at the new AZ pro show and working at the Arnold, so am using those as incentives to keep the more svelt, off season me alive and kicking.
    Team GAT
    http://www,teamgat.com/
    sally@teamgat.com

Good idea for a thread!

For the first time I can really call it an off season having competed in November. I've been around the bbing scene for about 7 yrs and I know a lot of competitors. One of my biggest fears was the rebound. I've known too many people who packed on 30-50 pounds post comp. I don't want to be one of them. I figure that since I'm aware of it, I can head it off before it happens. I hope.

That being said, after the show I tried to get right back on plan but I just couldn't. I lived with my family (mom, step dad, son) and there was always something in the house that I'd want to eat and without a strong reason not to, I'd give in. I'd say I'd make it until about 3pm before I caved. I went from 135 on contest day to 164 in two weeks. Boy did I feel it! I tried going to the gym but after 6 months of hard dieting, there was just nothing left in me. So I decided to take a break and give my body a chance to rest.

I guess some of that weight was post contest water because yesterday I weighed 153 and I hadn't tried to drop anything. Yesterday started my off season plan.

So before I even stepped onstage Sledge and I devised and off season plan. Diet is Dave's off season plan but we're gradually adding the carbs back in. First with meal 1, pre and post workout. Night time meals are low/no carbs. We're going to do the MAX-OT training. I will do the 16 min HIIT cardio but I will also be biking a lot. I'm in Perth Australia for the winter and Perth has bike paths all over the city. I can get anywhere without driving which is a good thing since they drive on the opposite side of the road here. Sledge bought me a brand new bike and I'm gonna use the heck out of it. He even picked his new rental house based on how far it would be from the beach and the gym so I can bike or walk. I don't think cardio will be a problem. LOL

I competed at 135 but it should have been closer to 125. So I figured I could let myself get up to 150 in the off season. Sledge says 155. He likes when my arse is bigger. The perv.

Being a former fattie who learned to lose weight by counting calories and weighing myself every day, I've had a hard time adjusting to bbing. The scale numbers play such a headgame with me. Sledge tells me constantly that he's gonna smash my scale. So in order to avoid the headgames we set the weight limit I want to stay under and I'll weigh once a week but without looking at the number. He will log it. Same with food. He plans it and so far he's cooked it. Made up two weeks worth of meals for me so i don't have to think about it. He's a great cook!

So much like Suzanne, I had to make the decision...do I want to be a lean woman or do I want to be a bodybuilder? I feel that I AM a bodybuilder so I have to live like one and that's gonna mean some weight gain in the off season, no abs and two wardrobes.
    You guys with the huge sponsor ads in your signatures make reading the forums annoying.

I try to not get over 12-14%bf

you are more anabolic when leaner so those who put on shitload of fat thinking that good for building muscle are in fact hindering their muscle development

A New Year's trip to Cabo is my motivation to keep things in order, and I still consider it part of "recovery" from 8 months of contest prep. The REAL off-season starts on Jan 4! My goals for next year are as a lean a bulk as I can get away w/ while building more booty & back thickness!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Forum Leader: Rx Fight Club stephaniewicked's Avatar

Erin - Hopefully living with Sledge the next couple of months and spending so much time with someone who lives a similar lifestyle, will make it easier for you to manage the off-season.

I feel bad for people who live with others who aren't into the lifestyle. That has to make it so much more difficult. I know it all comes down to a personal choice, but we all know that when you see or smell something that you REALLY want, it's harder to turn it down when you're not on a cut diet and don't HAVE to (at least for me). I've definitely kept my mental state in check by not depriving myself if I want a cookie or a drink here and there, but also not going overboard either. I'm still very new to this, but it seems like it's all about maintaining the principles of a BB diet, but also finding that balance within ourselves and our environments that works for us...
    "The gym is one of life's best arenas for building the toughest of men. Not because you learn to experience success, but because you've been forced to accept failure and identify your flaws."

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    A New Year's trip to Cabo is my motivation to keep things in order
    one word: JEALOUS!

motivating, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    I feel that I AM a bodybuilder so I have to live like one and that's gonna mean some weight gain in the off season, no abs and two wardrobes.
    CHEERS to THIS

Well, I am definitely in the off season! My weight shows it. I feel like a blob!
    I started working out this week for the first time since Sept. Taking it slow going back in. Started doing cardio and lifting... maybe I will drop some of these pounds! Oh... yeah I also have 2 wardrobes!

My husband was complaining about the whole 2 wardrobe problem. I'm going through a bulking phase right now and had to buy bigger jeans last week. I feel like I'm getting too thick but I've been told I'm doing fine.
    What is the average amount of weight you are supposed to gain in a month on a bulk phase?

Quote Originally Posted by KBigz81 View Post
    My husband was complaining about the whole 2 wardrobe problem. I'm going through a bulking phase right now and had to buy bigger jeans last week. I feel like I'm getting too thick but I've been told I'm doing fine.
    What is the average amount of weight you are supposed to gain in a month on a bulk phase?
    I[m staying off the scale right now and am gauging it all by the fit of my clothes, the look of my abs, and the number of veins I have in my arms. The scale will just freak my out right now, I think. I'm still wearing clothes the fit me 4 weeks or less out from contest, so am feeling good.
    Team GAT
    sally@teamgat.com

I don't think there is an average amount. Too many variables. Depends on the training, calories, if you're using aas.

Me personally, I'd like to not get more than 25 pounds over contest weight. I'm already there. LOL
    You guys with the huge sponsor ads in your signatures make reading the forums annoying.

ya...its hard for me to judge because I'm not a vascular person even when I am lean. I was a 1 or 2 when I was dieted down for the show but now I'm in a 6 or 8 and I feel comfortable. I think any heavier and I'll probably just cut back a bit on the carbs. My weight has stayed around 155lbs for the past few months but I started a var cycle a month ago and my weight shot up to 163 but I was expecting that.

That's not a bad jump. How much var are you using?

15mg a day...10 in the am 5 in the pm
    My weight went up but I started looking leaner in the abs and legs.

Cool. I'm the worst when dealing with the scale. Sledge is forver telling me to get off of it, smash it, throw it out the window. But he's right...go by the mirror and your clothes and when you feel too uncomfortable you'll know when you've gained enough. I think guys can gain more and mentally deal with it better than women can. I know last year I planned a 12 week cut and bailed at 9 weeks. I just couldn't take anymore weight gain. In 9 weeks I went from 155 to 173...enough was enough.

I haven"t stepped on the scale since weigh ins.

probably around 140 due to the way clothes fit. I start back with clean eating tomorrow, back to cardio in the am and lifting on a regular basis. I have only done legs once since Nationals and I have no excuse to not be going to the gym when we literally live ABOVE the gym. I walk in the front door, right past the cardio equipement, into the hall door going into our apt..not even giving the cardio or weights a second look. now that is bad.

You're right...my Husband tells me of course that I look fine. I may weigh myself once every couple of weeks and sometimes I even forget to do that. But when I want an honest answer I ask a couple of the male bodybuilders in my gym and they will usually tell me what I need to work on. One of them I workout with and he keeps bitching at me that I need to eat more or else I won't get the gains that I want. Honestly I don't have the appetite to eat as much as he wants me to. This is my first bulk phase so its kinda like the first time you dieted for a show. Trial and error....I tried Dave's bulk diet and I gained weight very fast and it all went to my legs. I found High protein med carb and low fat works best for me.

I swear 90% of the weight I've gained since my show is in my tummy and low back. I hate it.

i used to carry it in my butt and always had a flat tummy. now i still have lines in my butt and no flat tummy.

I feel the first 4-6 weeks after the show are the most important.

I do not believe in taking time off from the gym at this point for a few reasons.
    1) you are the most anabolic and can make huge progress during this time your body is ready to suck in the nutrients and if training - grow
    2) during prep you are expending lots of calories through lifting and cardio then if you take time off and up food leads to disaster - fat gain

Really be able to understand what exactly your body is doing after a show. Two examples
    Jr Nats 2009
    sun ate what ever i wanted
    mon 1000g carbs minimal fat
    tue 1000g carbs minimal fat
    wed 1000g carbs minimal fat
    thur 1000g carbs minimal fat
    fri begin off season plan
    wt 2 weeks after show 133 ( i was 129 mon before the show and water drop)
    Nats 2009
    sun ate what ever
    wed lower cal/carbs so be able to eat Thanksgiving
    thurs thanksgiving eat whatever
    fri begin plan
    wt 2 wks after show 149 ( 129 mon before show)
    It is ALL water my muscles were so full i could not move and extremely uncomfortable. I was fine til after thanksgiving still had abs. Muscle were full yes but not to extent I blew up after Thanksgiving.
    What we learned stay with all carb the first week the addition of so much fat and sodium on thanksgiving really screwed me up

Now when it happened i could have freaked out and started to make changes to "fix" it add cardio, drop food but we felt it would not be wise to do that since it isn't fat and trying to manipulate would probably just make it worse. We decided to just ride it out. Am I happy wiht how i look - no! But i know i am much better off just letting my body self regulate rather than trying to make a bunch of adjustments. Jeremy and I are keeping close tabs on it every couple of days.

so you have to know based on what you ate, training etc Is the weigh tyou went up fat, water????

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    I feel the first 4-6 weeks after the show are the most important.

I do not believe in taking time off from the gym at this point for a few reasons.
    1) you are the most anabolic and can make huge progress during this time your body is ready to suck in the nutrients and if training - grow
    2) during prep you are expending lots of calories through lifting and cardio then if you take time off and up food leads to disaster - fat gain

Really be able to understand what exactly your body is doing after a show. Two examples
    Jr Nats 2009
    sun ate what ever i wanted
    wed 1000g carbs minimal fat
    thur 1000g carbs minimal fat
    fri begin off season plan
    wt 2 weeks after show 133 ( i was 129 mon before the show and water drop)
    Nats 2009
    sun ate what ever
    wed lower cal/carbs so be able to eat Thanksgiving
    thurs thanksgiving eat whatever
    fri begin plan
    wt 2 wks after show 149 ( 129 mon before show)
    It is ALL water my muscles were so full i could not move and extremely uncomfortable. I was fine til after thanksgiving still had abs. Muscle were full yes but not to extent I blew up after Thanksgiving.
    What we learned stay with all carb the first week the addition of so much fat and sodium on thanksgiving really screwed me up

Now when it happened i could have freaked out and started to make changes to "fix" it add cardio, drop food but we felt it would not be wise to do that since it isn't fat and trying to manipulate would probably just make it worse. We decided to just ride it out. Am I happy wiht how i look - no! But i know i am much better off just letting my body self regulate rather than trying to make a bunch of adjustments. Jeremy and I are keeping close tabs on it every couple of days.

so you have to know based on what you ate, training etc Is the weigh tyou went up fat, water????
    Girl, I'm with you 100% on this. I flew home Sunday after Nationals, so I didn't train that day, but Monday night I was back under the squat rack and have been back to my regular training split since. I actually LOVE going back into the gym right after a show. Yeah, I'm tired from prep and traveling and definitely not moving any significant weight. But I love training and after having some post-contest food in me. My energy levels are through the roof, so I try to take advantage of that time to grow, like Suzanne mentioned.

As far as weight gain goes, I weighed in at 114.6 for Nationals and within a week I was up to 130, but I have stayed there since then. I tapered off my cardio (an hour a day for two weeks in the mornings before work) and followed Dave's protein/fat diet adding in extra food when I'm hungry, like extra cashews or pb I despise how I look now with all the water (and admittedly some fat at this point), but I know there's no sense in trying to "fix" this because I need to let my body stabilize itself on it's own....though, I have been talked down from the ledge a couple of times in the last couple of weeks lol. Everyone is different, and you have to find what works for you post-contest just like you do pre-contest. I know if I ate all the carbs that Suzanne does, I'd look like an Oompa Loompa, minus the orange skin. I'm very carb sensitive and am just finally beginning to add carbs back into my diet this week.

It is true...everyone is different. Suzanne is a carb freak. Name one other person here who can do what she does. Girl, you are so lucky!

It is true...everyone is different. Suzanne is a carb freak. Name one other person here who can do what she does. Girl, you are so lucky!
    Not so sure if lucky or not

but i LOVE my carbs!!!!!! i have french toast every AM for breakfast off season since i get 75g carbs and can have ww bread then i dip in my egg whites and a bit of vanilla coffe creamer grill up and voila french toast

I know there are some real carb sensitivity issues but i firmly belive most are created by the person by avoiding carbs or fearing carbs they develop a sensitivity also i think people are afraid because they THINK they are having a sensitivity issue yet all it is is the glycogen stores filling in the muscle

True. I'm of the endomorph type so I grab fat. Me + carbs= lardass. I'd be willing to bet you're pure mesomorph.

True. I'm of the endomorph type so I grab fat. Me + carbs= lardass. I'd be willing to bet you're pure mesomorph.
    i don't think i am i put on fat easy and it is hard as hell to get it off

idk...anyone who can eat the carbs you do and shoot up 50 pounds after a show...

What have you put in since nationals? Bet you're still under 140.

So Suzanne...did you used to think you were carb sensitive when your trainer had messed up your metabolism a few years ago?

^^ good question

idk...anyone who can eat the carbs you do and shoot up 50 pounds after a show...

What have you put in since nationals? Bet you're still under 140.
    hardly i shot up to 149 after Thanksgiving see post #25 compares jr nats and nats I am 145 now and still fighting the water but since i KNOW its water and not fat i am just letting it ride til i balance out. I was so full of water in my muscles (glycogen) i could not reach to brush back of hair

So Suzanne...did you used to think you were carb sensitive when your trainer had messed up your metabolism a few years ago?
    no i was just over dieted with cals too low and too much cardio for too long of a time slowed my metabolism

I don't believe and have never believed carbs are bad or lead to fat or difficulty in losing weight

yes some people have issues diabetics, hypoglycemics but i think most people are not sensitive to carbs

Most poeple get fat because they take in more they they burn off regardless of what type of food it is

hardly i shot up to 149 (7-8 lbs more then when i started prep) after Thanksgiving see post #25 compares jr nats and nats

I am 145 now and still fighting the water but since i KNOW its water and not fat i am just letting it ride til i balance out. I was so full of water in my muscles (glycogen) i could not reach to brush back of hair

I'm just jealous. I really don't believe I could eat the way you do. I'd be as big as a house.

I'm just jealous. I really don't believe I could eat the way you do. I'd be as big as a house.
    it took awhile to work my way up to this much food but it was increasing my calories that fixed the metab issue

it is clean carbs except my cheat meal so oats, ww pasta, ww bread, potatoes, rice etc and low fat
    my carb days after show are pure sugar carbs to kick up the metabolsim i want his all the time lol i want to live on kids cereal

I love the semi granola types like Honey Bunches of Os. Then again gimme any cereal and I will down the entire box in one sitting. Once I start I can't stop. Cinnamon Toast Crunch...mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    i used to carry it in my butt and always had a flat tummy. now i still have lines in my butt and no flat tummy.
    I'm thinking this is from the anti estrogen we take. it shuts down the fat receptor cells in the booty and legs. We come off it gradually after contest, and while our bodies are putting fat back on. Since we're still suppressing estrogen, fat goes to the places it normally would on a man. stomach and lower back.
    Team GAT
    sally@teamgat.com

i agree sally. i hear this complaint from almost all women. id like to hear jills thought on it.

Makes total sense Sally. I guess I never thought it through.

Forum Leader: Rx Fight Club stephaniewicked's Avatar

I love the semi granola types like Honey Bunches of Os. Then again gimme any cereal and I will down the entire box in one sitting. Once I start I can't stop. Cinnamon Toast Crunch...mmmmmm
    Honey Nut Cheerios are my favorite!! Mmm..

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp
    Opposite for me. Typical girl... it's all in my hips and ass! Flat tummy (for the most part, just not as tight as it was pre-contest) but I've got a mini muffin top going on. Damn love handles! I, for one, definitely do not love them! Bleh... Gotta love the winter and layering clothes!
    "The gym is one of life's best arenas for building the toughest of men. Not because you learn to experience success, but because you've been forced to accept failure and identify your flaws."

Perhaps I used the wrong phrase. I'm probably not "carb sensitive," rather my body just seems to run more efficiently and make better progress with fewer carbs and more fats.

I'm having the same problem with my fat distribution this time around, too. Usually, my lower abs stay vascular for several weeks after a show and my tooshie blows right up cellulite and all, and that seems to be the exact opposite for me this year.

I have heard fat can come back different every time you diet for a show

I have always held most in midsection still do

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast