Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Banned

Slumnookie will fit right in here, heh heh heh........

So you're doing MAX OT, eh........ this will be interesting. Im glad you have an open mind now because I could not get you to do minimal sets last time we trained. Then again that seems like a lifetime ago. Certainly a whole nuther person ago ........ Im also interested to see if Sledge will have you do the OT cardio or something else. Id say HIIT like I do with my students but hey......he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Sledge if you train me I would totaly do the plastic daisies thing. Unlike SOMEONE we know....

Quote Originally Posted by debbiebramwell View Post
    well look what I found! I will be following along..question for you do I see you doing sets with 1 reps? alot of sets under 6 reps? if so how come?
    also no skipping legs no matter what next time for your show! very important to train them up to 10 days out then lay off happy offseason to you!!
    How were you able to get the time off to stay there until march? will you move there someday? fill me in
    I'm doing the MAX-OT program as written. The 1 rep sets are acclimations sets in order to get my muscle ready for the heavy working sets. My working sets are as heavy as I can, to failure within the 4-6 rep range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Loco View Post
    Slumnookie will fit right in here, heh heh heh........

So you're doing MAX OT, eh........ this will be interesting. Im glad you have an open mind now because I could not get you to do minimal sets last time we trained. Then again that seems like a lifetime ago. Certainly a whole nuther person ago ........ Im also interested to see if Sledge will have you do the OT cardio or something else. Id say HIIT like I do with my students but hey......he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Sledge if you train me I would totaly do the plastic daisies thing. Unlike SOMEONE we know....
    We did talk about doing the 16 min hiit cardio that goes along with max-ot but I will be biking everywhere, especially to and from the gym, so I figured I'll be getting cardio anyway. And since I'm trying to build right now I'm not too concerned with cardio for fat loss, just general cardio health.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    I guess after hard contest dieting for 6 months I've gone the other way and I resent being told (by a diet protocol) what to eat and not eat. It's still a mental game.
    I totally get this

Which is why i refuse to eat ANY fish or chicken right none zero nanda no fucking fish!

My plan i like cuz i have macro amoutns but i choose the food
    ie i am told meal 1 75 g carbs meal 2 45 g carbs (all my meals are 3-4 oz protien or equivalent egg white cept last meal 8 oz protein) anyway i get to choose what my carbs source is and now it includes things like ww pasta ww bread so altho on a plan i don't feel it is at all similar to prep and of course i have my weekly cheat

I'm going to be totally honest here. I loved dieting with the keto approach but next time I will tweak to suit me better. I won't follow Dave's plan as written. I'll follow the macros but I will give myself more choices. In fact, in trying to regain balance Sledge is doing just that with my diet. He gives me choices. For instance, tonight we're having pork chops....after I couldn't decide what cut of lamb I wanted have. (There's lamb a plenty here and I don't know enough about it to choose.) I'm also having a flavored rice at his suggestion. I never eat flavored rice because I've always done the brown rice thing. Plus, I'm having a bit of red wine. So while I'm not totally cheating I am enjoying the foods we chose today. After all, it is off season and I want to enjoy my life.

In fact, in trying to regain balance Sledge is doing just that with my diet. ........ So while I'm not totally cheating I am enjoying the foods we chose today. After all, it is off season and I want to enjoy my life.
    That Sledge is a good guy.

He is a good guy.

Today is cheat meal day. We're having pizza with ice cream and donuts for dessert. However, I didn't realize that in Australia donuts are actually an ice cream topping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shoulders and triceps

DB Presses
    w/u
    3x15@7.5 (16lbs)

acclimation sets
    1x1@10 (22)
    1x1@15 (33)

working sets
    2x6@22.5 (49.6)
    1x5@22.5 (49.6)

Not bad since I have a wonky shoulder.

Straight bar standing military press
    1x6@30 (66)
    1x6@35 (77)

Sledge was surprised that I have never done military presses. I didn't go as heavy as I could have because I wanted to get the form right first. Afterwards, I realized I could have gone heavier and I will next week.

DB Side Laterals
    2x6@10 (22)

close grip bench
    1x6@40 (88)
    2x6@50 (110)

Cable pushdowns with rope
    1x6@55 (121)
    1x4@60 (132)

F*ckin' A!

Seated overhead press
    1x5@22.5 (49.5)

Banned

Just FYI, in case you dont know. Proper form for military press is to bring your head under and through the bar as it goes over your head. The bar should be behind your head at the top, resting on your rear delts.

He is a good guy.

Today is cheat meal day. We're having pizza with ice cream and donuts for dessert. However, I didn't realize that in Australia donuts are actually an ice cream topping.
    I'm not a huge ice cream "craver" (except Coldstone), but love me some pizza and donuts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Loco View Post
    Just FYI, in case you dont know. Proper form for military press is to bring your head under and through the bar as it goes over your head. The bar should be behind your head at the top, resting on your rear delts.
    Maybe I called it the wrong thing. Like I said, I'd never done anything close to this. This is the exercise we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
    I'm not a huge ice cream "craver" (except Coldstone), but love me some pizza and donuts!!!
    I love Coldstones. Hey...I wonder if they would franchise in Australia....

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
    I'M the ice cream CRAVER!!!!

I love to read about your "australian" tales.....
    workouts are looking good, Girlie!

Overhead Press. I think some folks call 'em military press.

You never did 'em? They're good for delts. (my shrimpy part LOL)

P.S. Great weight overhead!

Maybe I called it the wrong thing. Like I said, I'd never done anything close to this. This is the exercise we did.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjane57 View Post
    I'M the ice cream CRAVER!!!!

I love to read about your "australian" tales.....
    workouts are looking good, Girlie!
    Today we're going to a gym in the next town, Mandurrah. We're going to have lunch at an cafe Sledge knows. Then we're going to go find pelicans and swans along the coast. After that it's training at a gym there. Taking the camera and Flip video so we'll see what happens. I'll blog about the adventure later.

Coldstone my FAV!

I can't do them like in the picture with palms facing straight up at bottom also can't do front squats like that my arms/wrist just don't do that

Banned

Yeah thats it. Military press, overhead press, shoulder press... It's called by many names, even Bob. I just meant dont just raise the weight straight up so that the weight rests soley on your front delts, as soon as the bar is going past your head pull back with the rear delts a bit. Put your head through the bar and rest the weight on your rear delts for a quick sec before lowering.

OK cool. Will do. Sledge said I had perfect form but I'll keep it in mind since I won't always have him around to watch me doing Bobs.

chest and forearms

Flat bench
    w/u
    3x10@30 (66lbs)
    1x1@40 (88)
    1x1@50 (110)
    3x5@60 (132)

I don't usually do flat bench because I'm skkerd to without a spotter but with Sledgeyman as my trainer so I can. Not too bad. I've handled b135 in the past so I expect that number to increase pretty quickly.

Incline bench
    1x5@60 (132)
    2x6@55 (121)

Never did these either. I always use DBs.

Decline Bench on a smith
    1x6@30 (66)

Barbell wrist curl

2x10@12.5 (27.5)

Needs to go up next time

DB wrist curl
    2x8@12.5

I never train forearms. I have bad wrists from years of doing nails so I'll just do what I can.

He is a good guy.

I'm sorry, I didn't see anything else but this...

Kidding, great workouts looking solid!

pelicans and swans......I want pics.

It was so windy on the water in Mandurah that even the seagulls weren't flying. We didn't see any pelicans or swans. Sledge said that normally the pelicans are as bad at begging for food as the seagulls. We ate by the water and the seagulls just circled us, walking on the ground bitching the whole time that they were hungry too.

We were sitting outside by the water's edge at a cafe having a beer. THere was a table of three or four people sitting two tables away from us. They were finished with lunch and enjoying their last bits of wine. When they left, the seagulls attacked the table of leftover food. There must have been 20 of them. Every time I turned around the take a pic they all flew away. I'd turn back to Sledge and they'd attack the table again, squawking and carrying on. They even broke wine glasses in their fury. I'd turn around to snap a pic and they'd fly away. It's like they KNEW.

Today we're going to Subiaco for a doc appt. Sledge has a messed up shoulder. Then we'll hit Scarborough Beach which Sledge says is a real beach. LOL I think the beach here is just gorgeous. In fact, every beach we've been to has been gorgeous. I asked what makes this one a real beach and he said this one has waves. Growing up, Sledge lived at the beach, surfing and shit with his mates. So I guess to him sand, sun, seashells and crystal clear blue water isn't a good beach unless there's surfable waves. I'm a crappy swimmer so I never cared about the waves.

ANEE-WAY...it's also leg day and we'll be going to Freemantle again to train. I liked that gym best.

Banned

I love these stories.

Training has been sporadic the last couple of days. I'm not going to bother going back over workouts. Nothing exciting anyway.

I had been training on a free pass which expired. So Sledge and I started looking at other option. A new gym opened about 5.5 km away and we did the tour and figured the new gym with new equipment would suit us. Tonight was my first workout there alone since he had to back to work for 6 days.

The gym is ok. Problem is it's not finished. No locker rooms...just roughed in plumbing. And after the first warm up set hammy GirlyMuslce realized there are NO MIRRORS anywhere!!!! So I did my workout and left. They said there would be TVs and mirrors and such.

It took me 30 minutes to bike to the gym but only 20 to get back. There was a strong wind blowing right into me on the way there but not on the way back.

I don't want to bore RX with details so check out my blog at

www.girlymuscle.blogspot.com
    Last edited by GirlyMuscle; 12-24-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typos and I'm anal about it

Love your blog!!!!

Australia has large Arachnids!!!!

Your bike rides look lovely!!

With Sledge at work, I get bored and that's when i start cruisin the kitchen looking for food. So I'm going to log it out here so i can stick to my plan a bit better.

meal 6am 40g oatmeal, 1 scoop pro powder
    meal 2 9am 2 scoops whey shake, 29g almonds
    meal 3 noon 3 whole eggs, 1/2c egg whites
    meal 4 3pm 150g ground beef, 1/2c pasta
    meal 5 6pm 150g turkey rissole, 2c green beans
    meal 6 9pm 150g cottage cheese

I also have to remember to take my fish oil and evening primrose.

No training yesterday or today since the gyms are closed.

Dec 26th is Boxing Day in Australia. The origin is that employers and wealthier people would give gifts to the less fortunate/employees. Now it's a national holiday where stores open and have great sales. It's the American equivelant of Black Friday.

I cleaned the whole house yesterday and did all the laundry so i don't know what I'll do today. I guess I could drag myself down to the beach on this 80+F day and take a walk.

Banned

How many calories is that??

I dunno. I don't count. We took Dave's keto diet and slowly started adding carbs. Actually, now that I look at it I'm supposed to be at 3 carbs meals and I only have two. I'll have to throw another carb in there.

Banned

And you feel full on that??

I dunno. I never feel truly full. But if I eat more I'll gain more and I don't want that either.

Dec 26th is Boxing Day in Australia. The origin is that employers and wealthier people would give gifts to the less fortunate/employees. Now it's a national holiday where stores open and have great sales. It's the American equivelant of Black Friday.

I cleaned the whole house yesterday and did all the laundry so i don't know what I'll do today. I guess I could drag myself down to the beach on this 80+F day and take a walk.
    Ugh!! I hope it's not as crazy as Black Friday is here

And that beach thing sounds good right now!! Although hot tubbing when it's snowing is pretty sweet, too

Shopping is much different over here. Just about everything closes at 6pm. Something about protecting small business. Their late shopping hours were only from 9-9 the last couple of days before Christmas. Stores will be open today from 10-5. It's crazy like our Black Friday. Security in stores, tons of traffic, everyone looking for bargains. From what I understand it's the biggest retail day of the year.

That's nice that they're still (apparently) looking out for the little guy and not the corporate giants

That's the whole idea. Aussies think a bit differently than Americans. Kinda makes me ashamed of America and how greedy we are compared to other parts of the world. Not saying there isn't greed everywhere but we're really pigs. No offense to americans. but think about it. If all of the sudden Walmart had to close at 6pm Americans would flip out. We all want what we want ,when we want it, even at 2am, and who cares who it screws.

In A World Where Staying Focused and True Is More Important Than How Much You Can Lift

Default jealous of the beach...

I think that is a great national holiday. I hope there weren't any people gouging eyes out over sales like they do over here in Chicago. I am so jealous of the fact that you can go to the beach! Its like 35 degress and rainy. Just cleaned the house too on some kind of rampage... i smell like windex and orange glo... lovely ;o)

I did that yesterday. Cleaned the whole house simply out of boredom.

In A World Where Staying Focused and True Is More Important Than How Much You Can Lift

Thumbs down No more Continental... SUCKS!

Continental is September. It's a good show, decent size, national qualifier.
    Hey hope the weather is great... just got 6 inches out here in Chicago! Yay!
    I didnt know if you knew this already but there will be no more Continental in September. i just found this out recently... it was an awesome show too, great turn out! Too many haters out there were jealous of how great the turn out was, so they whined and complained. And low and behold the show was axed!

Nothing wrong with cleaning out of boredom!

No Continental???? Dang it! Do you know the scoop? Having lived out there I know of all the promoters and powers that be in the Illinois area shows. PM me if it's too gossipy to post. Shoot. That figures. That's the one I was leaning towards since I have so many bbing friends in the Chicago area. I have friends I could have stayed with, access to one of the best videographer, some photographers. Darn it. I was there two years ago to see a friend compete and I liked the size of the show. Big enough to be competitive but not so big I'd get lost in the shuffle.

I just had the best lunch. Pre-cooked chicken breast sliced and thrown into a fry pan with green beans, hokkien noodles all stir fried in a Sesame ginger marinade. Damn this bbing lifestyle is rough. LOL

I fly home tomorrow for a week. Time to crack the whip on this girlymusclechicks training.

Of course I'd crank up my own training too but I have an injury. Poor little poppet that I am.

Well, I'm back in here. The gym was closed on Christmas Day and the day after (Boxing Day) so no training. I woke up Christmas Eve morning to a nasty headcold. Christmas Day I got my period for the first time in almost a year. Thanks, Santa. Guess I was a bad girl this year. On Sunday I was still too sick to bike to the gym. On Monday I tried to bike to the gym but I got about 1/2 mile down the road and I was gasping for breath and my chest hurt. I couldn't imagine getting all the way to the gym, training and biking back so I turned around and went home. Tuesday was Sledge's first day home from working nightshifts so we just hung out and he relaxed. Wednesday was our Christmas with his family. So here we are on Thursday. Leg Day. I only have a cough left from my cold and no Aunt Flo (girl code for periods). Hopefully, she doesn't come visit again for another year.

Weight is at an uncomfortable point for me. I'm just going to try to deal with it. I'm trying to put on muscle and also enjoy the holidays and just life in general. I needed out of the diet mentality for awhile. The restrictions and feelings of deprivation really gets to me. I don't want a diet to ruin my time here. I'm in Austrlia for cryin' out loud. I want to enjoy it!

Problem is I have a hard time balancing. I'm an all or nothing person. I don't know how to be in the middle. I haven't been binging but I'm small and everything I eat shows up immediately. Heck, at 15 pounds above my last comp weight I don't look like a bodybuilder. So imagine what 20-25 looks like. I hate the way it feels. Seems most of the weight has come back in my tummy and low back so I feel like I'm lugging an inner tube with me everywhere I go. For me 8-10 pounds is a whole clothing size and my stuff is getting tight. Good thing it's hot here. I don't think any of the jeans I brought along are going to fit right now.

I'm not going to change my plan at this point. I'm also going to do my best to shut up about it. I know Sledge is tired of hearing me whine about it. He likes me chubby anyway. I just wish I liked me chubby.

That's the whole idea. Aussies think a bit differently than Americans. Kinda makes me ashamed of America and how greedy we are compared to other parts of the world. Not saying there isn't greed everywhere but we're really pigs. No offense to americans. but think about it. If all of the sudden Walmart had to close at 6pm Americans would flip out. We all want what we want ,when we want it, even at 2am, and who cares who it screws.
    Tell me about it. I work in retail pharmacy, and from December through March people are so incredibly rude between "holiday travel" and insurance changing and wanting to squeeze as much out of it as they can. I understand the thrifty mentality, but COME ON!! And when there's an hour wait, and that just won't work for you, please feel free to ask the 15 other people waiting in line ahead of you if it's ok if you butt ahead I think EVERYONE should work retail/food service for a holiday season and then see what @ss holes people really are, and check their own behaviour.

/rant (sorry for the hijack )

Weight is at an uncomfortable point for me. I'm just going to try to deal with it. I'm trying to put on muscle and also enjoy the holidays and just life in general. I needed out of the diet mentality for awhile. The restrictions and feelings of deprivation really gets to me. I don't want a diet to ruin my time here. I'm in Austrlia for cryin' out loud. I want to enjoy it!

Problem is I have a hard time balancing. I'm an all or nothing person. I don't know how to be in the middle. I haven't been binging but I'm small and everything I eat shows up immediately. Heck, at 15 pounds above my last comp weight I don't look like a bodybuilder. So imagine what 20-25 looks like. I hate the way it feels. Seems most of the weight has come back in my tummy and low back so I feel like I'm lugging an inner tube with me everywhere I go. For me 8-10 pounds is a whole clothing size and my stuff is getting tight. Good thing it's hot here. I don't think any of the jeans I brought along are going to fit right now.

I'm not going to change my plan at this point. I'm also going to do my best to shut up about it. I know Sledge is tired of hearing me whine about it. He likes me chubby anyway. I just wish I liked me chubby.
    Hang in there!! It will get better. I'm with you on the weight thing: I'm the same way. It's hard when such little changes yield DRASTIC results. Just keep in mind the end goal, and that it's worth it. If there's one thing this lifestyle teaches is discipline, but it's also about holding to your plan and goals and knowing that it's all worth it in the end

Yeah...I just wish it went the other day. What took me 6 months to lose only took 6 weeks to gain back.

Yeah...I just wish it went the other day. What took me 6 months to lose only took 6 weeks to gain back.
    I can relate to everything you've mentioned about the recent offseason weight gain, being a fellow shortie and experiencing the same thing right now myself. But the one thing you can reassure yourself with now that you didn't necessarily have in the past is that you know you can get in shape now. You've already proved that you can lose the weight, diet for a show, and get on stage. Hang in there, and just keep training your ass off

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I can relate to everything you've mentioned about the recent offseason weight gain, being a fellow shortie and experiencing the same thing right now myself. But the one thing you can reassure yourself with now that you didn't necessarily have in the past is that you know you can get in shape now. You've already proved that you can lose the weight, diet for a show, and get on stage. Hang in there, and just keep training your ass off
    Amen!

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast