IFBB PRO, Bros V Pros X Champion The Prodigy's Avatar

Default Bikini Training Essentials: Partial ROM Training

Bikini Training Essentials: Partial ROM Training

The NPC and IFBB Bikini Division has become extremely competitive due to the sheer amount of competitors out there and the publicity the division commands drawing in a lot of premium talent.Bikini training is far from a “dumbed-down” Figure routine; it takes a whole new approach to create the ever elusive winning Bikini physique. Because the Bikini division doesn’t like any one end of the muscularity or conditioning spectrum, designing Bikini programs requires a true “touch”. In Bodybuilding, and in a lot of Figure training, the goal is pushing body part development, conditioning and fullness to the max. Whereas in Bikini, you have to create a level of tone with the right degree of softness that can be a very tricky look for the trained athlete to achieve. It requires peaking with a balance of definition and softness and a training system that will develop the RIGHT body parts for Bikini competitors while leaving some body parts purposely under- developed to create a pleasing, flowing, natural look.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-gi...-training.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

RX MEMBER

I really like every article on this website read them all but saw this, and but honestly, I didn't agree at all with this one. Partial ROM? The rules of training are the same for everyone. Heavy lifting, FULL range of motion, high intensity, etc etc etc. Sure partials come into play for an experienced bodybuilder or powerlifter when breaking through platos or bringing up lagging parts. But for a bikini girl? With little muscle to begin with? Please!

For a girl to have a nice toned and sculpted body, doing partial range of motion lunges with light weight isnt going to do much of anything really. My girlfriend squats and deadlifts heavy ass weight. Squats to parallel. And looks great. The exercises reccomended in this article are not hard, they are easy as hell. Old style lifting is HARD WORK. This is not in my opinon.

If this is how most coaches encourage their bikini competitors to train than this division really is doing more harm than good.
    Last edited by TheABomb; 11-10-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by needtogetcrowns View Post
    I really like every article on this website read them all but saw this, and but honestly, I didn't agree at all with this one. Partial ROM? The rules of training are the same for everyone. Heavy lifting, FULL range of motion, high intensity, etc etc etc. Sure partials come into play for an experienced bodybuilder or powerlifter when breaking through platos or bringing up lagging parts. But for a bikini girl? With little muscle to begin with? Please!

For a girl to have a nice toned and sculpted body, doing partial range of motion lunges with light weight isnt going to do much of anything really. My girlfriend squats and deadlifts heavy ass weight. Squats to parallel. And looks great. The exercises reccomended in this article are not hard, they are easy as hell. Old style lifting is HARD WORK. This is not in my opinon.

If this is how most coaches encourage their bikini competitors to train than this division really is doing more harm than good.
    I'm curious how much of it is just marketing? "To win you need to train this SPECIAL way..."
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Banned

You guys are missing the point. Bikini is no more than a "half-time show" for both, the audience and judges.

Who cares how they train, all they gotta do is look pretty, not be fat, and get some implants. That's it.
    Last edited by Deathstalker; 11-10-2011 at 02:58 AM.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    I'm curious how much of it is just marketing? "To win you need to train this SPECIAL way..."
    Could be that too. It just seems so silly that to get that look you need to train THIS way. When really a marathon runner, lacross player, sotftball player could all enter the division. And they all train very different.

Also, it seems to me that this is moving women backward in saying that they shouldn't train like men. What is wrong with some good old fashined pullups and pushups? They work and are a lot harder than "quarter lunges"

Thanks for the feedback. Most lower body compound movements for bikini competitors quickly lead to what our judges are considering over developed quads. Bikini competitors aren't doing partial movements to increase performance on a certain lift like a power lifter would use partials, but only for aesthetic reasons. No other division requires the development of certain body parts while counting off for the development of complimentary body parts. In the case of bikini it's often the need for muscular glutes, without having big seperated quads.

You said "The rules of training are the same for everyone." That's definitely not the case when preparing athletes for very different divisions, with very different requirments. Each look requires a different approach.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post

New training ideas are marketable, but they aren't created FOR marketing!

Just ideas that are working for lots of competitors being shared for others to learn about.

Could be that too. It just seems so silly that to get that look you need to train THIS way. When really a marathon runner, lacross player, sotftball player could all enter the division. And they all train very different.

Also, it seems to me that this is moving women backward in saying that they shouldn't train like men. What is wrong with some good old fashined pullups and pushups? They work and are a lot harder than "quarter lunges"

There are LOTS of different ways to create certain looks, just as you mentioned. This is simply one approach to creating the look that is winning in this division right now. You can't just take any athlete off their respective field and make them a top level bikini competitor. This division is highly competitive and often comes down to the girls physical structure as much as it does her body compostition and muscle balance.

These girls are all in the gym training hard to create this "look" that is being rewarded. And pushup and pullups aren't the way to attain that. To say they are pushing women's training backwards is pretty harsh, just because an ASS TO GRASS squat is harder doesn't make it appropriate for every athlete.