Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default IFBB Pro Bonny Priest

Please welcome IFBB Pro Bonny Priest!

Bonny has decided to compete at the Atlantic City Pro this year. She has not competed since the Ms O 2007. We've talked a bit through facebook and I suggested she do a training journal so we could see how this pro female bodybuilder trains. She said she thought that might be fun.

You guys with the huge sponsor ads in your signatures make reading the forums annoying.

oh heck yeah!!!

welcome Bonny!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    Please welcome IFBB Pro Bonny Priest!

Bonny has decided to compete at the Atlantic City Pro this year. She has not competed since the Ms O 2007. We've talked a bit through facebook and I suggested she do a training journal so we could see how this pro female bodybuilder trains. She said she thought that might be fun.

Thanks so much Erin! You've been awesome! Thanks for all your support & motivation girl!

Ok, so what would you guys like to know? Would you like for me to tell you my daily workouts for now? I'll start dieting June 1st & then I can include what I'm doing for maybe diet, cardio (which I'm sure most will think I'm NUTS), training, thoughts, weight, bodyfat, etc. I know that it wouldn't be too smart for me to share ALL my secrets , buuuuut...I promise to never say anything that's not true. I will include pics & video if you want as well, so just ask away.

Sooooo...so far this week I've worked chest on Monday (it was a great workout), legs on Tuesday (absolutely ridiculous), & shoulders today. Do you wanna know what I did? Come on...you know wanna try it!

pics and videos are always welcomed!

I'd be curious to know what differs and what's the same for pros vs amateurs in their preps...I would imagine the pressure is much more intense for a pro...does it feel different than when you competed as an amateur, Bonny?

Quote Originally Posted by ~gymdiva~ View Post
    pics and videos are always welcomed!

I'd be curious to know what differs and what's the same for pros vs amateurs in their preps...I would imagine the pressure is much more intense for a pro...does it feel different than when you competed as an amateur, Bonny?
    I'll work on the pics & videos girl! I kinda hate that stuff, but I promise to do my best.

As for what differs from an amateur to a pro...I would have to say not a lot. You know...when I first started out bodybuilding, my husband had the basics down pat, but every person is different, so over the years, we've tweaked it a bit each time. I can honestly say that I've done something just slightly different each & every show. This time will be more different than anything I've ever done. It's probably not the best time to experiment, but we've got some sound ideas behind the changes. The prep, honestly, should be exactly the same though. I think that, no matter what, each person, amateur or pro, needs to prep in a way that makes their bodies look absolutely as good as it can be come the day of the show.

The pressure, to me, is honestly just as intense. As an amateur, you are trying to get to the highest level in bodybuilding. The competition is much deeper at the national level (the classes are typically much larger) and it's much faster paced, so you've got one chance to get out there & get the job done. You've got to catch the judges eye long enough to be compared with top girls. When you get to the pro level...it's just as intense. You're trying to do the same thing, but this time it's about placing in the money & qualifying for the Ms. O...the pinnacle of women's bodybuilding. So...all in all...in my eyes it's pretty darn close to the same thing. Just know that even from the very first show (novice), reaching for that next level feels just as intense each & every time.

This is exactly what I want to hear. Not just training, but thoughts and pressures, how you deal with obstacles, what's going through your head....

Do you have any certain type of training and diet you are partial to when getting ready for a show?
    You guys with the huge sponsor ads in your signatures make reading the forums annoying.

http://www.ifbb-npcatlanticcityproam.com/

ATLANTIC CITY WOMEN’S PRO
    [One Class]

Entry Deadline: Sep 4

Date: Sep 11-12

Promoter: Sports Partners, LLC
    Ron Goldstein
    Stokely Palmer
    Ph: 732-261-8713
    Ph: 973-224-5052

Prize: $10,000

Olympia qualifications awarded: 3

This is great! Will be following along!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
    This is exactly what I want to hear. Not just training, but thoughts and pressures, how you deal with obstacles, what's going through your head....

Do you have any certain type of training and diet you are partial to when getting ready for a show?
    I've tried all sorts of different diets, but the one I use now, I just sort of accidentally figured out on my own. I used to eat lots of carbs, morning & lunch, but none in the evening. It worked, but holy crap...I had to do waaaay too much cardio. I HATE cardio! So...it was a couple of years ago in the offseason when I stumbled upon what I currently use. I was getting tired of eating...I know it sounds ridiculous...and I knew I had to get in my protein, so I just stopped eating carbs at breakfast. I only ate the gigantic mound of eggwhites. Then our workout partner's work schedule changed, so we moved our workout time up an hour closer to lunch. I was typically so full after lunch that it made it really difficult to train, so I cut out the carbs at lunch too. We were working in the yard a lot on the weekends, but I wasn't really doing any other activity besides weight training. I noticed that I was getting leaner without really trying very hard. So...I talked to the 'ol hubby (my personal guru), he did my bodyfat, & sure enough it was down by a couple percent in just a couple months (and NO cardio). So, we thought I would try it for a show. Low & behold...it worked. I did probably half the cardio I normally would have had to do. I was ecstatic. This also sounds like completely the wrong thing, but I eat my only carbs for the day at night. It's not a lot (30-35g), but it helps me sleep without waking up with hunger pains all night long. I typically eat low fat as well. I'll fill you in on training & cardio next time.

Now...for anyone reading this, everyone's body is different. What works for me, may or may not work for you. But...if you hate cardio as much as I do, you may want to give it a try.

Hey Bonnie... I'm so glad you are doing this... it will be awesome to see what your doing on a day to day basis and how it changes your body... I'm surprised for me I'm on my second week Keto and other then my initial 3 lbs the first week... I am at a stand still... so I am thinking I am going to have to up the cardio! yeah I agree YUCK - if only it could be more fun then revolving on a bike!

Angela123

hi bonnie and welcome. im so excited about this. thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. i look forward to reading along and lending my support!

Bonnie that is awful nice of you to share your prep! I am currently dieting for my first National show and Its nice to know someone else is doing the same thing and whether the thoughts and feelings are comparable.

I'm going to tell you about my leg workout on Tuesday. Girls...I haven't worked that damn hard in a long time. Until a few weeks ago, I didn't even think I'd be competing again, then...an indescribable fire was lit under my bubble butt. I've been really training hard, but differently since then. It's only the beginning, but I've gotta start somewhere...right? It's not like I haven't been training at all, but over the last year & a half...it's been only maintenance (or less). I've lost several pounds of muscle & I've gotta get it back + some. I'm including pounds, but please don't see it as bragging, just telling it in detail I guess. I never count warm-up sets as an actual set, so each one is a working set. Each set is DEEP, full range of motion, & no assist except maybe on the last rep. On the leg press...I don't know how much the sled weighs & when I quote a number, I am referring to how many 45lb. plates are on each side.

Leg Extensions - (Strive plateloaded) - 6 sets
    90lbs. - 20x, 115lbs. - 20x, 135lbs. - 20x, 160lbs. - 15-16x (2 sets), 115lbs. - 20x

Leg Press - plateloaded - 5 sets
    7 plates (on each side) - 15x
    8 plates - 15x
    9 plates - 15x
    10 plates - all out w/o stopping until failure - 23x
    10 plates + a 25 (on each side) - all out w/o stopping until failure - 15x

Plie Squats in the Smith Machine (on my toes w/a big 3 count squeeze at the top) superset with Sissysquats - 65lbs. (on each side) - 12x & to failure on the sissy squats (didn't get but maybe 6-8 reps - leaning back) - 3 sets

Standing Leg Curl Machine - 60lbs. for 10 reps - 3 sets

Last but not least...

More Leg Extensions (single leg 10x + both legs 10x) superset with Seated Leg Curls
    all for 3 sets

I normally do lunges in there too, but after that...I just didn't have it in me. :-(

It's a start! I had a great chest day as well as a great arm day. Shoulder day was pretty good, but it always follows leg day & I typically feel pretty darn exhausted. Tomorrow is back day! Hopefully it'll be a good one as well.

Ok... now somebody try this leg workout & let me know what you think. :-)

I must say...I was walking a little funny after the leg press, so the rest wasn't pretty. I typically eat ground turkey breast at lunch & it felt like it was fixing to come back up...in loaf form. Yikes! :-)
    Last edited by Bonny Priest; 03-26-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by little d View Post
    Bonnie that is awful nice of you to share your prep! I am currently dieting for my first National show and Its nice to know someone else is doing the same thing and whether the thoughts and feelings are comparable.
    Which show are you doing? How are you feeling about it...mentally?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugargirl View Post
    Hey Bonnie... I'm so glad you are doing this... it will be awesome to see what your doing on a day to day basis and how it changes your body... I'm surprised for me I'm on my second week Keto and other then my initial 3 lbs the first week... I am at a stand still... so I am thinking I am going to have to up the cardio! yeah I agree YUCK - if only it could be more fun then revolving on a bike!
    You may have to vary up your cardio a bit. I usually try to do a variety of machines in the same cardio workout (if I use the machines). I also vary the intensity from REALLY high to really low. Cross training with interval training I guess.

My cardio usually consists of something that sounds a little ridiculous. The building that our gym is in used to be part of a warehouse. It's got a loading dock in the back of it with a pretty steep ramp at the end of it. We've got big tractor tires back there. We hook a chain to it with a handle. Pull it as hard as we can walking/running backward & then pull it with the handle behind our back walking/running forward. We take a little walk (about 50yds. up & back), then start pulling all over again. We usually keep going until we get in about 6-10 pulls. It usually takes about 25-40 minutes. It really simulates a cross between a leg press & leg extension going up & a stiff legged deadlift coming back down. It's the only cardio I've ever done that doesn't make me look stringy. For the Ms. Olympia ('07), I did it 5-6 days a week, once a day. That's it...no other cardio. It works for me, but I may not be too normal!

Good luck with your contest prep! Keep working hard. Sometimes it just takes a little bit for your body to start letting go of the bodyfat, so don't give up!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast