Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 45 of 59
  1. #1
    HCG MAN GottaGetLean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,635
    Rep Power
    1561311

    Default Do you take your bcaa pre or post workout? or both?

    Ive heard so many different things, just wanted some more opinions on it, ive heard people take it 10grams pre 15grams during and another 10grams of bcaa post workout. Then some people are telling me just post work out then others are only saying pre workout.. So I rather take my advice from muscle central, how do you take your bcaa?

  2. #2
    AVBG
    Guest

    Default

    I do both

  3. #3
    GYM RAT troutman18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    522

    Default

    I also do both. helps with muscle endurance during the workout and helps for quick recovery post. Try and get a good bcaa like xtend or chaind out that has citruline malate in it so it really absorbs fast.

  4. #4
    FREAK Jason Newman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sacramento Ca
    Posts
    3,610
    Rep Power
    101995

    Default

    pre post intra, and 1hr before each meal brah! its the best way for a nattie to grow
    Live Free, Train Hard
    New-Man Nutrition

  5. #5
    HCG MAN GottaGetLean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,635
    Rep Power
    1561311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Newman View Post
    pre post intra, and 1hr before each meal brah! its the best way for a nattie to grow
    how many grams of bcaa do u normally do?

  6. #6
    RX MEMBER spritz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, CANADA
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    31309

    Default

    I take 5 Six Star BCAA quick-dissolve tabs 1 hour pre-workout, a half hour later I take a mainly Creatine/Beta-Alanine pre-workout drink. Immediately AFTER 2 hour workout I pop another 5 quick-dissolve tabs as this helps recovery as I cannot eat regular food until about an hour or more after working out... I hope this helps!!

  7. #7
    RX MEMBER lilarnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,144
    Rep Power
    40640

    Default

    total waste of money


    eat a meal an hour and a half before training and you'll have all the aminos you need. even if its whey and oatmeal or something similar.


    you guys should consider stopping this wasteful supplement using and invest in some grassfed beef and just better quality food which is generally more expensive.

    i stopped using all these stupid supplements and just stick to creatine and whey isolate and use the money i save to get higher quaslity food and my gains have been better than any supplement i ever took.

    if your truly eating all day the way you should be there is no reason to supplement with addistional aminos

  8. #8
    RX MEMBER tp_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    50947

    Default

    Pre-wo is most efficient, and 1h after wo is more efficient then just after. Both pre and post is better then any single dose though, of course.

    I do: 10g EAA -> workout -> 10g EAA/Whey/Food -> Food.

  9. #9
    GYM RAT MattPT88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    210

    Default

    In all honesty if you are taking a high quality whey protein along with other good sources of complete protein you probably dont need to be taking lots of BCAAs because your getting plenty of them through your food. Studies on BCAAs both promote the use and say that its not necessary if adequate protein is met through the diet. If you are going to work out for longer than 90 minutes at a time then BCAAs would be a good idea to keep you from getting catabolic. Also read through this journal article. Itll give you a lot of what you need to know with protein, BCAA, AAs, etc.

    http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8

  10. #10
    RX MEMBER tp_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    50947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilarnold View Post
    total waste of money


    eat a meal an hour and a half before training and you'll have all the aminos you need. even if its whey and oatmeal or something similar.
    False.

    AAs and long protein chains doesn't have the same impact on protein synthesis. At all.

  11. #11
    GYM RAT MattPT88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp_88 View Post
    False.

    AAs and long protein chains doesn't have the same impact on protein synthesis. At all.
    Generally during exercise BCAAs are not used for protein synthesis. The are a preferred source, aside from glucose, of energy for the skeletal muscles. The point of BCAA supplementation during exercise is to decrease muscle catabolism not increase protein synthesis.

  12. #12
    RX MEMBER tp_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    50947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gt3viper View Post
    Generally during exercise BCAAs are not used for protein synthesis. The are a preferred source, aside from glucose, of energy for the skeletal muscles. The point of BCAA supplementation during exercise is to decrease muscle catabolism not increase protein synthesis.
    Even if they wouldn't be used in the protein synthesis (which I doubt, but I'm not sure) they still stimulate it way more then whey, tuna, beef or any other intact protein does.

  13. #13
    GYM RAT MattPT88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp_88 View Post
    Even if they wouldn't be used in the protein synthesis (which I doubt, but I'm not sure) they still stimulate it way more then whey, tuna, beef or any other intact protein does.
    I dont think so. In order for protein synthesis to occur you need to have all the essential aminos present in the correct amounts. If one is limited or missing protein synthesis cannot occur. So BCAAs do not provide all the essentials for it to occur which would mean pro synthesis does not occur. Although BCAAs provide 3 of 9 EAAs the other 6 must come from sources like whey, tuna, beef, etc.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Okc Ok
    Posts
    186
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I gets muh bcaa from protein powder.

  15. #15
    Alpha Male GENESIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    520174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gt3viper View Post
    I dont think so. In order for protein synthesis to occur you need to have all the essential aminos present in the correct amounts. If one is limited or missing protein synthesis cannot occur. So BCAAs do not provide all the essentials for it to occur which would mean pro synthesis does not occur. Although BCAAs provide 3 of 9 EAAs the other 6 must come from sources like whey, tuna, beef, etc.
    this is why i take PURPLE WRAATH

    It has all the essential amino acids. not just the branched chains.
    Keep Ritch Banned. FOR-EVER.

    Un-Ban SKELETOR though, yo.

  16. #16
    RX MEMBER tp_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    50947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gt3viper View Post
    I dont think so. In order for protein synthesis to occur you need to have all the essential aminos present in the correct amounts. If one is limited or missing protein synthesis cannot occur. So BCAAs do not provide all the essentials for it to occur which would mean pro synthesis does not occur. Although BCAAs provide 3 of 9 EAAs the other 6 must come from sources like whey, tuna, beef, etc.
    So you mean that your body doesn't have access to the other amino acids? The only source is what you ingested 1minute ago? Again, BCAA/EAA and other free, essential, amino acids (L-Leucin might the most potent one) elevates the protein synthesis more then any intact protein does.

  17. #17
    RX MEMBER tp_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    50947

    Default

    One study before I return to the TV and the Olympics:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

    BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine, and valine), particularly leucine, have anabolic effects on protein metabolism by increasing the rate of protein synthesis and decreasing the rate of protein degradation in resting human muscle.

  18. #18
    GYM RAT MattPT88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp_88 View Post
    So you mean that your body doesn't have access to the other amino acids? The only source is what you ingested 1minute ago? Again, BCAA/EAA and other free, essential, amino acids (L-Leucin might the most potent one) elevates the protein synthesis more then any intact protein does.
    Youll have some free amino acids in the bloodstream if you consistently get protein coming into your diet every few hours. The body likes to use protein fairly quickly after it has been digested, absorbed, and assimilated. So if you are taking whey iso w/ water on an empty stomach it will get digested and absorbed fairly quickly since there are no other macros needing to be processed. All EAAs will elevate protein synthesis but you must have all them for it to occur. Its an all or nothing principle. You can "elevate" it as much as a particular AA can but if all 9 are not present it will not occur.

    Now if you have all 9 EAAs in that form protein synthesis will happen faster because they will not need to be broken down from the whole protein molecule. But if you are working out at the time protein synthesis is not the priority at hand so the body will allocate its resources to the stress (exercise). During exercise very little blood is received by the digestive viscera so digestion and synthesis of anything do not occur or occur at a rate that does not benefit the system.

    After exercise individual EAAs (all 9) will promote faster protein synthesis. Now Im not saying that we should only consume AAs in that form because then at the receptor level the AAs will compete with one another for absorption. The "speed" that promotes protein synthesis is not that drastically different in healthy individuals when the aminos are received in the form of AAs vs whole protein. So consume whole proteins preferably because they provide AAs in relative ratios that the human body can best utilize.

  19. #19
    GYM RAT MattPT88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp_88 View Post
    One study before I return to the TV and the Olympics:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

    I understand that BCAAs have an anabolic/anti-catabolic property to them. What I am trying to get across is that the body needs all the AAs present in the given amounts for protein synthesis to occur. BCAAs do promote protein synthesis only if all the necessary AAs are also present. That is why I would advocate eating whole proteins as opposed to just BCAAs or EAAs. Complete proteins have them both already in them in fairly correct ratios.

  20. #20
    RX MEMBER tp_88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    767
    Rep Power
    50947

    Default

    But come on, all the AAs are there to be used if the MPS is elevated. Whey Isolate in water on an empty stomach will be absorbed quickly, but a large portion of cottage cheese won't. Or a big steak or whatever. Very few people take in all their protein from whey-shakes... And then there is broken down muscle protein which is re-used in the protein synthesis and so on.

  21. #21
    RX MEMBER Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,324
    Rep Power
    213054

    Default

    I take them intra-workout.

  22. #22
    FREAK
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,009
    Rep Power
    172970

    Default

    I used to take Bcaa before workout..
    now i just eat a small meal before and after workout.

  23. #23
    BEARER OF TRUTH "Rodz"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Puerto Vallarta
    Posts
    7,491
    Rep Power
    2147796

    Default

    I just started taking "Gear" from Needtobuildmuscle, I'm taking them 3 x throughout the day
    Confucius say...
    A ripped guy who eats a pizza, then does an hour of cardio is still ripped.
    A fat guy who eats a pizza, then does an hour of cardio is still fat.

  24. #24
    RX MEMBER lilarnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,144
    Rep Power
    40640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp_88 View Post
    False.

    AAs and long protein chains doesn't have the same impact on protein synthesis. At all.

    differences are negligible.....try it. i could give two shits what some lab rat said....real world results speak volumes.

    try chicken and rice pre workout and steak and eggs with some pancakes and syrup post and have a friend take aminos........after 6 months you tell me who grows more muscle

  25. #25
    RX MEMBER lilarnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,144
    Rep Power
    40640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tp_88 View Post
    Even if they wouldn't be used in the protein synthesis (which I doubt, but I'm not sure) they still stimulate it way more then whey, tuna, beef or any other intact protein does.

    uh........nope

    real food is ALWAYS better

  26. #26
    RX MEMBER lilarnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,144
    Rep Power
    40640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gt3viper View Post
    Youll have some free amino acids in the bloodstream if you consistently get protein coming into your diet every few hours. The body likes to use protein fairly quickly after it has been digested, absorbed, and assimilated. So if you are taking whey iso w/ water on an empty stomach it will get digested and absorbed fairly quickly since there are no other macros needing to be processed. All EAAs will elevate protein synthesis but you must have all them for it to occur. Its an all or nothing principle. You can "elevate" it as much as a particular AA can but if all 9 are not present it will not occur.

    Now if you have all 9 EAAs in that form protein synthesis will happen faster because they will not need to be broken down from the whole protein molecule. But if you are working out at the time protein synthesis is not the priority at hand so the body will allocate its resources to the stress (exercise). During exercise very little blood is received by the digestive viscera so digestion and synthesis of anything do not occur or occur at a rate that does not benefit the system.

    After exercise individual EAAs (all 9) will promote faster protein synthesis. Now Im not saying that we should only consume AAs in that form because then at the receptor level the AAs will compete with one another for absorption. The "speed" that promotes protein synthesis is not that drastically different in healthy individuals when the aminos are received in the form of AAs vs whole protein. So consume whole proteins preferably because they provide AAs in relative ratios that the human body can best utilize.

    exactly.......it doesnt matter how fast it happens...as long as it does

  27. #27
    RX MEMBER
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    34065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    this is why i take PURPLE WRAATH

    It has all the essential amino acids. not just the branched chains.
    FTR it does not have all EAA's. Just sayin'

  28. #28
    RX MEMBER Timbo89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,035
    Rep Power
    78440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spritz0 View Post
    I take 5 Six Star BCAA quick-dissolve tabs 1 hour pre-workout, !
    i find tabs suck.

  29. #29
    FREAK Triple-H_2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Miami Beach, FL
    Posts
    4,999
    Rep Power
    1021192

    Default

    I've used them Pre, during and post, 5 grams each serving. I did this for a consistent 5 month period, then reviewed my progress.

    There were no substantial gains that were not seen during other periods using whole foods and whey/waxy maize shake pre and post workout... only an emptier wallet.

    I KNOW what all of the studies say, but when the ONLY thing I did differently for that three months was to use the BCAAs, and saw no difference, I consider it a waste of money.

    Others may disagree, but it really did me no measurable amount of good.

  30. #30
    The ONE and ONLY derekanthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    DA radio show is back teaming up with CARL LANORE. TRICEPTOR PRODUCTIONS !
    Posts
    4,038
    Rep Power
    243244

    Default

    Chained out all day long !!! Love appletini yum wish they would make a watermelon or a citrus. Shit rocks!!!!
    show returns bigger and better ....stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  31. #31
    MUSCLEHEAD
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,451
    Rep Power
    12770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    this is why i take PURPLE WRAATH

    It has all the essential amino acids. not just the branched chains.
    this, purple wraath is good stuff

  32. #32
    FREAK Jason Newman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sacramento Ca
    Posts
    3,610
    Rep Power
    101995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGetLean View Post
    how many grams of bcaa do u normally do?
    2 scoops of chaind out each time! gotta love it bro
    Live Free, Train Hard
    New-Man Nutrition

  33. #33
    RX MEMBER Con's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    664
    Rep Power
    76287

    Default

    I drink 5 liters of water per day each with a serving of xtend or chained out because i like the taste and i find it more beneficial than a diet drink.

  34. #34
    RX MEMBER JYD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    733
    Rep Power
    89294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple-H_2005 View Post
    I've used them Pre, during and post, 5 grams each serving. I did this for a consistent 5 month period, then reviewed my progress.

    There were no substantial gains that were not seen during other periods using whole foods and whey/waxy maize shake pre and post workout... only an emptier wallet.

    I KNOW what all of the studies say, but when the ONLY thing I did differently for that three months was to use the BCAAs, and saw no difference, I consider it a waste of money.

    Others may disagree, but it really did me no measurable amount of good.
    this is prolly the best arguement being made... try it out for a while and see what works best for you.

  35. #35
    FREAK Jason Newman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sacramento Ca
    Posts
    3,610
    Rep Power
    101995

    Default

    ive found i have held size and grown better using 10-15g p1hr pre meal each meal every day!
    Live Free, Train Hard
    New-Man Nutrition

  36. #36
    RX MEMBER Miami Muscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    305
    Posts
    1,320
    Rep Power
    62642

    Default

    Im with Triple H on this one.. Pro/Carb (Usually Waxy Maize) Pre Workout

  37. #37
    GYM RAT bad bad leroy brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    6501

    Default

    Before with 10 grams of creatine and a full teaspoon or a little more of beta alanine. Don't ask for the science behind it. I like it, and it's been helping me get stronger

  38. #38
    Alpha Male GENESIS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    520174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cooker View Post
    FTR it does not have all EAA's. Just sayin'
    which ones are missing? have you ever used it? im looking at the label now...
    Keep Ritch Banned. FOR-EVER.

    Un-Ban SKELETOR though, yo.

  39. #39
    RX MEMBER lilarnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,144
    Rep Power
    40640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triple-H_2005 View Post
    I've used them Pre, during and post, 5 grams each serving. I did this for a consistent 5 month period, then reviewed my progress.

    There were no substantial gains that were not seen during other periods using whole foods and whey/waxy maize shake pre and post workout... only an emptier wallet.

    I KNOW what all of the studies say, but when the ONLY thing I did differently for that three months was to use the BCAAs, and saw no difference, I consider it a waste of money.

    Others may disagree, but it really did me no measurable amount of good.


    i second this opinion.

    things always look good on paper....im a cubs fan i should know, but in the real world alot of times it just doesnt work that way

  40. #40
    GYM RAT Not Dorian Yates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    8638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derekanthony View Post
    Chained out all day long !!! Love appletini yum wish they would make a watermelon or a citrus. Shit rocks!!!!


    I read on a FAQ not to drink Chaind out within 2 hours of protien intake. What's your stand on that?

    Just got some chain'd out Saturday. Love the stuff.

  41. #41
    BEARER OF TRUTH "Rodz"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Puerto Vallarta
    Posts
    7,491
    Rep Power
    2147796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lilarnold View Post
    uh........nope

    real food is ALWAYS better

    I'm always intrigued by this statement, please explain why?
    Confucius say...
    A ripped guy who eats a pizza, then does an hour of cardio is still ripped.
    A fat guy who eats a pizza, then does an hour of cardio is still fat.

  42. #42
    BEARER OF TRUTH "Rodz"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Puerto Vallarta
    Posts
    7,491
    Rep Power
    2147796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JYD View Post
    this is prolly the best arguement being made... try it out for a while and see what works best for you.

    Truth!!!
    Confucius say...
    A ripped guy who eats a pizza, then does an hour of cardio is still ripped.
    A fat guy who eats a pizza, then does an hour of cardio is still fat.

  43. #43
    GOD OF WAR kratos47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,034
    Rep Power
    17837

    Default

    i've had mixed thoughts on this. but i remember reading about how beneficial then can be intra workout because they do not require much if any blood to be broken down and absorbed. so it will not pull away from your pump like drinking a shake mid workout would. i could be totally wrong on this. so if someone knows more on the digestion of bcaas please elaborate haha

  44. #44
    GYM RAT MattPT88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    210

    Default

    Well if you were wanting to get some BCAA here is the deal of the day from Prosource.net. Its 4g of BCAA in a 1:2:1 ratio and has about 125 servings per container and is like $17

    http://www.prosource.net/content/art...Light-Special/

    But if ya want it you gotta hurry up because you only have 12 hours left for the deal.

  45. #45
    CHRONIC WORRIER Shariff Abel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Canada Montreal
    Posts
    2,003
    Rep Power
    51180

    Default

    So who to believe or who not ! who is right who is not who is full of shit and who is not . this argument is going no where. ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •