Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RX MEMBER

Default Need some strong advice lol

Hey guys. I am a 5 10, 21 year old skinny white kid (123 lbs.....) looking to put on some weight obviously. I know the first thing most people think of is "EAT BOY", but trying that never worked and a recent doctors visit has given me a little insight into why.....

Based on a recent doctors visit it turns out I have celiacs and based on
    some blood sugar tests dont handle carbs very well. I am pretty insulin insensitive and close to pre-diabetic (should have known, some
    relatives have type I diabetes) :P I guess thats life, but I just have to
    take
    it in stride.

In light of that, I may have to do a higher fat more moderate carb approach. Something like 1.5 g/lb protein (any higher then this and I get probs. I think it is again weight related. I have a hard enough time being regular, but when I go too much over 1.5 things get epecially bad...recently started suppping with metamucil twice a day long with 30-35 grams of fiber from food...is this overkill?), 1-1.5 grams/lb carbs, and the rest of my cals from fat (gonna be an ass load of fat lo, 1+ grams per pound ).

Are there many bodybuilders or friends who have used more
    moderate or higher approaches with fats to achieve quality physiques. Sorry
    to
    bug you again, I am just trying to deal with the cards life has dealt me

Do you think that carbs or fats make any difference in the quality of muscle
    gained? since they are both essentialy just energy shouldn't they just be
    different means to the same end (providing enough cals to let protein do its
    thing?), with fats being slightly tastier, more energy dense, and less water
    holding :P ??

I am just a little depressed after getting this news and hoping I can make some gains with fats lol :P

AVBG

You're on the right track. Fats are underrated.. For your carbs, take in only as much as you need, you need not go the full carb free route but time your nutrients, keep the protein/aminos at a good level and eat consistantly/regularly (because thats what WILL work above all else)..

life made you genuine,, older you get... you will learn how wonderful is it

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Hey guys. I am a 5 10, 21 year old skinny white kid (123 lbs.....) looking to put on some weight obviously. I know the first thing most people think of is "EAT BOY", but trying that never worked and a recent doctors visit has given me a little insight into why.....

Based on a recent doctors visit it turns out I have celiacs and based on
    some blood sugar tests dont handle carbs very well. I am pretty insulin insensitive and close to pre-diabetic (should have known, some
    relatives have type I diabetes) :P I guess thats life, but I just have to
    take
    it in stride.

In light of that, I may have to do a higher fat more moderate carb approach. Something like 1.5 g/lb protein (any higher then this and I get probs. I think it is again weight related. I have a hard enough time being regular, but when I go too much over 1.5 things get epecially bad...recently started suppping with metamucil twice a day long with 30-35 grams of fiber from food...is this overkill?), 1-1.5 grams/lb carbs, and the rest of my cals from fat (gonna be an ass load of fat lo, 1+ grams per pound ).

Are there many bodybuilders or friends who have used more
    moderate or higher approaches with fats to achieve quality physiques. Sorry
    to
    bug you again, I am just trying to deal with the cards life has dealt me

Do you think that carbs or fats make any difference in the quality of muscle
    gained? since they are both essentialy just energy shouldn't they just be
    different means to the same end (providing enough cals to let protein do its
    thing?), with fats being slightly tastier, more energy dense, and less water
    holding :P ??

I am just a little depressed after getting this news and hoping I can make some gains with fats lol :P
    First off, congratulations on passing the first hurdle, and that's committing. Most people would have just decided to give up, but you haven't, which shows good guts and determination.

I've been doing a moderate ketogenic diet now for around....probably 6 weeks. I'm not cutting for a show, so I don't really keep track, but I know that I am losing weight well. However, this isn't your aim, so, I'm just going to give you an idea of how I will bulk.

When I start bulking, it will look similar to what you have laid out, just with less carbs. Over the last few years, trying different things with different food etc, my body is extremely carb sensitive. I find it hard to lose weight dieting down with rice and oats etc, and I'm ALWAYS hungry. I find fats a better source of energy overall, as you mentioned, more calorie dense, and what I eat tends to keep my insulin levels more in check, so I don't get those massive hunger pans etc.

So, when I'm bulking, I want to use fats as my energy source, and use carbs to help build that muscle. Of course, protein is the main thing you need, and I would agree with 1.5g/lb, maybes even a little more, but, you mentioned that that causes your body problems. It may be your body isn't taking up all the protein and some of it is being lost through glycogenosis (essentially what your body does with carbs for energy). With fats, I'd aim for around 0.5g/lb, and increase gradually.

The carbohydrates, you want to utilise at the best possible times for best possible gains. Post workout is one of these. Your body is often described as a "sponge", because you've just wrecked it at the gym, and it want's to feed. Eating carbohydrates will create an insulin spike in your blood stream, which will force the vital ingredients into your muscle. Protein is also important, as this is what will repair the muscle and make them stronger, and bigger.

I can't really sit here and tell you exactly what to eat, at what time, and how much, because it isn't that simple when you have a physical problem. It is vital that you completely learn how your own body will react to different things. A friend of mine is type I diabetic, but he weighs 200lbs in contest shape, so, it can be done. I'd advise you do as much reading as you can find, in paticular on this site, because there are a lot of great minds on here. I hope I've helped a little with some of my information man, good luck, it can be done.

RX MEMBER

Thats true. I definitely need more then 0.5 gams of fat though lol. I have been eating 1.5 protein, 1g/lb carb, and 1g/lb fat and still not gaining lol (lots of peanut butter )

Has been working out to around 2300-2400 cals. Any general advice. Up carbs, up fats, up both? I would like to up protein but like I said, for some frwaking reason i get serious bathroom probs

RX MEMBER

here are some pics of me btw http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/boatnerjg/

one thing that is very missing with the advice is celiac disease means you cannot digest gluten. so you will have to be very selective with your carbs. if you have been diagnosed with celiac sprue, then you should have been given a referral to a dietitian that can help with navigating which foods are going to be appropriate so you do not you have attacks.

So when you up your protein intake, in what form do you do it ? Solid foods ? Shakes ?

If you can't be digesting gluten, and your taking in say a protein shake which isn't protein free, this could be leading to your body throwing away vital nutrients and food.

Again, I know you'll get sick of hearing it, but food is key, and if what your eating isn't helping you put on, you need more. Post up your diet, and we'll have a look through where you can add or change it, and maybes get you eating more food without you noticing, and getting some better calories.

RX MEMBER

Today

scivation solution 5, .5 cup oats, peanut butter, tsp metamucil

bcaas during workout

post workout was slice ezekiel bread, 4 oz buffalo burger, hald tbsp peanut butter, 3 fish oil caps

1 scoop muscle milk, partial scoop egg protein, teaspoon psyllium fiber, 1.5 tbsp peanut butter

2 whole eggs, 3 oz salmon, cup brocolli

4.5 oz turkey cutlet, 3 oz green beans, 1.5 tbsp mix of olive and mac oil

0.5scoop casein, 0.5 scoop egg protein, tsp metamucil. 3 tbsp peanut butter

RX MEMBER

totals out to 2219 cals, 184 grams protein, 100 carbs 30 of it fiber (not including the metamucil lol), and 125 fat.

RX MEMBER

im guessing there is going to be an inevitable carb bump and maybe fat decrease?

RX MEMBER

I have done lower fat and higher carb with the same level of protein but overall calories higher without gaining but felt super shitty (it was before I knoew what I know now). Was probably around anywhere from 60-80 grams fat and like 200-300 grams carbs. Would always be super bloated at the end of the day, tired, headaches, dry skin, etc.

I got the same thing when I was dieting carbs, I just felt awful all the time. I know dieting isn't suppose to be fun, but, when you feel crap all day, it's pointless.

Your taking in around half whole foods and half shake meals, but your protein is mostly coming from powders, which, is probably where your bowel problems are coming from. I'm not saying take the shakes out, but try adding more meat in. 6oz burger, 6oz salmon, 8oz turkey, that sort of thing. That will bump your protein levels up, which will be good for you, and I don't think you'll have problems processing it. If you do, deffinitely talk to a dietician, because it may be paticular types of food causing it.

I'd maybe take in slightly less carbs at your first meal, less oats, and take a bit more post workout, help you get that protein in at the most vital time more efficiently.

Fats, I think it's fine. Maybes try changing it up. Different types of fatty nuts, instead of just peanut butter, macademia nuts, cashews, walnuts, vary it up a bit you know ? Currently your taking in like 6 tbsp a day, which most get annoying. Hope this helps some.

i agree with the other posts. i had a problem putting on weight before in the past. alot of it is trial and error and finding what works for you. on a true bulking diet you should be trying to put on at least 1 to 2 pounds a week. if your not then theres some things you need to change. expect to put on alittle fat. its all part of it. but thats also a signal that your eating enough calories but the trick is to find a balence between the quality of muscle weight your putting on compared to just fat and water gain. i would say go with with almost all food meal. and maybe have to meals consisting of a shake banana and some heathy fats. make sure your getting adueguate amounts of omega 3s to balence out the amount omegas 6 you will be consuiming.so yeah stick to whole food protien sources and just have you shakes for your pre and post workout. except drop the fats in your post workout shake because you dont want to slow down that rate your getting the protien and carbs post workout. eat complete meals. everytwo the three hours and u should be good. maybe add some creatine and mulitvatamins twice a day. also post up you workout routine and well can see if theres any think we could help you in that department. good luck.

Forum Leader: Contest Prep Scoobysnacks's Avatar

I had no idea when you were pm'ing me you were 5'10". I know you said dont just say "EAT A LOT" but bro, you need to eat.....a.....lot. Look, Ive worked with many young guys. One of them is on 4300 before he started to really gain. Another guy who is 19 had to hit 5200 before he started to gain.

you are the severist of ectomorphs. 2400 cals WONT even come close. Stop basing this on your weight, for you throw that shit out the window. Set up a diet at 4000 cals in line with your celiacs issues. Dont eat what causes problems. Stop stressing over more fat, less carbs, more carbs, less fats. I dont give a rats ass if you eat three wendys cheeseburgers for some of the intake.

If you are serious about growing stop reading all the online bullshit, most guys WAY over think this shit. Hit at least 4000 cals at a minimum if you arent growing add another 1000. And continue unitl you are.

What you have going for you is VERY lean and decent muscle bellies with relatively wide clavicles and a very tiny waist, you fill out that frame even to 180 and you will look very impressive even at that height assuming you stay that lean which may or maynot occur.

EAT!
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast