Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What have you contributed?

In light of yet another downer type thread [ame="http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=33638"]LINK[/ame] where it seems merely being able to sign on to a forum means the site owners owe you something (I'm exaggerating a little as at least the OP went to a show) I'm stirred enough to ask a question or two.

On many bodybuilding forums we see what some might generously call 'constructive criticism' but which really amount to 100lb dripping wet bitches saying the sport owes them something because they are (in a much abused word) 'fans'. But how many of these fans do the following:

1. Actually attend events - expos, competitions, lift offs/challenges and the like?
    2. Support buddies who compete? I know not everyone will end up in their trunks on stage but what about throwing down some bucks to help out buddies who do?
    3. Train, coach, teach? Are you a gym instructor? Do you pass on your knowledge in ANY way. Have you offered to write an article for a site, forum, magazine?
    4. Buy magazines, books and videos/dvds? Note BUY not illegally download or upload what you did buy so others can see it for free thus robbing the originator of his or her living.

We know, because it's easy enough to find out, that some forums like RX etc have many hundreds and some tens of hundreds of thousands of members. It's a job of a few seconds to sign up and become a member. But is that the limit of your contribution to the sport? Does the world owe you something for that? Or do you bring something, as it were, to the table? If you, as many do, profess of a love for all things Iron (the whole range of lifting and building) then how come you're not adding to it? I don't mean fooling around by posting bitching posts, ones in which you do more to build your rep count and become the best at 'dissing' but ones in which you seek to spread the word about how fucking great it is to be able to work out.

If 10% of RX's members posted something today that added to the sport in some way it would be the best day RX's forum ever had.

What are you going to contribute?
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

Great post I often wonder the same thing.

And I do all the above except compete myself. And hope to do more in the future.
    Last edited by Sledge; 04-19-2010 at 08:12 PM.

AVBG

All of the above.

Let's see...I let a mod here rest her head on my breasts and use them for a pillow while downing shots of tequilla.....does this count as contributing?

On a serious note though, I have attended the New York Pro last year and the Aussie Pro this year! I do attend events!

No. But sharing a video or photo of the same might.

Photos.
    www.leighcarmichael.com

I cheered on AVBG at the country classics too....
    I purchased a Species Hoodie...

I am an NPC promoter and became an agent to help guys and girls keep from getting themselves tied into contracts and sponsorships that are misleading. It seems several companies out there get these guys all jacked up about signing any type of contract, even if its supplement only, Then wait until its almost show time and last minute mail or fax out a contract hoping that athlete is so eager to tag the companies name to there own that the athlete signs and returns the contract without actually reading it carefully.
    Typically these contracts say we the company will give you X amount of product up to the show, x amount of product after the show win or lose. If you turn pro then we will give you X amount of dollars, if not we will continue with a lesser amount of supplements. But in the fine print it states that the contract is for 12 months and the athlete can be terminated at any time for any reason but is bound to that company for 24 months from the day of signing. Just in case the athlete turns pro or does well after the initial 12 months the company can still call him/her their own.These athletes got to where they are on their own, without company backing.
    I guess what I'm saying is athletes are a commodity, bought and sold. Have yourself covered in all areas. If supplements is what you need or you feel that getting a name behind you or getting your picture in a magazine is your goal, then have at it. But be careful what you sign, the length of the term and YOUR options to terminate the contract and move on to bigger and better things.
    As far as NPC shows, its hit or miss if you are going to have a good crowd. I do it to give back to the sport. God knows those Niels Andersen sculptures are expensive. Not to mention its a challenge to make the show bigger and better every year. We usually do a free training and nutrition seminar after pre-judging. I remember my first show I promoted. It was a huge venue, we had 22 vendor booths, 15 Pro and Top ranked amatuers, great Expo area, custom cars on display, the works and we had only 45-50 competitors. I lost a small fortune but to hear Toney Freeman, Don Long, Trey Brewer, Curtis Bryant and others say that it was probably the best looking venue and have more vendor booths than Nationals does was a good feeling. The competitors had a good time and enjoyed the show, and the guest athletes had limo service to and from the venue all day. Thats a good day to me.
    Post because you are a part of the sport, wether it be fan, competitor, judge, promoter or sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by tight booty View Post
    Let's see...I let a mod here rest her head on my breasts and use them for a pillow while downing shots of tequilla.....does this count as contributing?

On a serious note though, I have attended the New York Pro last year and the Aussie Pro this year! I do attend events!
    Well you got my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by tight booty View Post

Is this available to all fans of bodybuilding?
    Leader of the bring back Big Barry 2012 campaign
    Confused? Backed up? Check out my Q&A: RX Muscle Forums

AVBG

My name is Con D. 2005 CCI champion.

This is a touchy subject.

Lets just say Rx had much more contributing members before,and those members left for various reasons.
    (not just from the whole Pit thing)

I myself have chosen not to contribute at least knowledge wise,for which I have my own reasons,which has nothing to do with the members of this community.

Fact is most regular people on here know their stuff very well anyway,so I dont feel like Im holding out on them.

People who share their knowledge also make time to give out advice for free,from which they CAN get paid for.

It is important that forum owners express (or let know by their actions) they are there for the community,to feel like their presence is appreciated.

It is politics,and the people need to feel appreciated,in order for them to want to contribute.

That this goes beyond just making money.

Just my 2 cents..

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

Yes, to 1,2 and 4.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    This is a touchy subject.

Lets just say Rx had much more contributing members before,and those members left for various reasons.
    (not just from the whole Pit thing)

I myself have chosen not to contribute at least knowledge wise,for which I have my own reasons,which has nothing to do with the members of this community.

Fact is most regular people on here know their stuff very well anyway,so I dont feel like Im holding out on them.

People who share their knowledge also make time to give out advice for free,from which they CAN get paid for.

It is important that forum owners express (or let know by their actions) they are there for the community,to feel like their presence is appreciated.

It is politics,and the people need to feel appreciated,in order for them to want to contribute.

That this goes beyond just making money.

Just my 2 cents..
    The knowledge sharing was, as above, just one aspect. What about others?

Quote Originally Posted by G Lee View Post
    I am an NPC promoter and became an agent to help guys and girls keep from getting themselves tied into contracts and sponsorships that are misleading. It seems several companies out there get these guys all jacked up about signing any type of contract, even if its supplement only, Then wait until its almost show time and last minute mail or fax out a contract hoping that athlete is so eager to tag the companies name to there own that the athlete signs and returns the contract without actually reading it carefully.
    Typically these contracts say we the company will give you X amount of product up to the show, x amount of product after the show win or lose. If you turn pro then we will give you X amount of dollars, if not we will continue with a lesser amount of supplements. But in the fine print it states that the contract is for 12 months and the athlete can be terminated at any time for any reason but is bound to that company for 24 months from the day of signing. Just in case the athlete turns pro or does well after the initial 12 months the company can still call him/her their own.These athletes got to where they are on their own, without company backing.
    I guess what I'm saying is athletes are a commodity, bought and sold. Have yourself covered in all areas. If supplements is what you need or you feel that getting a name behind you or getting your picture in a magazine is your goal, then have at it. But be careful what you sign, the length of the term and YOUR options to terminate the contract and move on to bigger and better things.
    As far as NPC shows, its hit or miss if you are going to have a good crowd. I do it to give back to the sport. God knows those Niels Andersen sculptures are expensive. Not to mention its a challenge to make the show bigger and better every year. We usually do a free training and nutrition seminar after pre-judging. I remember my first show I promoted. It was a huge venue, we had 22 vendor booths, 15 Pro and Top ranked amatuers, great Expo area, custom cars on display, the works and we had only 45-50 competitors. I lost a small fortune but to hear Toney Freeman, Don Long, Trey Brewer, Curtis Bryant and others say that it was probably the best looking venue and have more vendor booths than Nationals does was a good feeling. The competitors had a good time and enjoyed the show, and the guest athletes had limo service to and from the venue all day. Thats a good day to me.
    Post because you are a part of the sport, wether it be fan, competitor, judge, promoter or sponsor.
    Some good stuff.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast