Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    AVBG

Quote Originally Posted by joedemarco View Post
    Hey, Matt..great journal. I'll be following along for sure. I've been training at Hard Nocks past couple weeks. Love the place! I feel right at home.
    good to see you 'round Joe.

MUSCLEHEAD

Matt, I have to say dude, the descriptions of training are awesome! I wish everyone put an effort into their journals like you bro! Keep it up and all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by NATURAL-1987 View Post
    Matt, I have to say dude, the descriptions of training are awesome! I wish everyone put an effort into their journals like you bro! Keep it up and all the best!
    Thanks Natural-1987, from what I am told you will be starting a journal soon as well here. I truly appreciate the support.

Matt,I`m very impressed with your training style.Years ago I tried doing an isolation execise followed by a compound but I didn`t rest at all between the two.I found that I got very strong on flyes but man,I couldn`t bench but about 135 following them.Now I did these in superset fashion and I think that was a mistake.My question is how much rest do you take between the isolation exercise and the compound,do you recover fully or when you think you`re about half recovered?Did it take you a while to build up that much strength on the second execise? Thanks for your time and good luck with your training.

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Matt,I`m very impressed with your training style.Years ago I tried doing an isolation execise followed by a compound but I didn`t rest at all between the two.I found that I got very strong on flyes but man,I couldn`t bench but about 135 following them.Now I did these in superset fashion and I think that was a mistake.My question is how much rest do you take between the isolation exercise and the compound,do you recover fully or when you think you`re about half recovered?Did it take you a while to build up that much strength on the second execise? Thanks for your time and good luck with your training.
    Cook, thanks for checking in and I thank you for your support.
    For starters, I agree that the immediate super set of flyes to presses limited your ability to press more and kept your progress on that exercise stagnant.
    In terms of recovery, it's hard to say. I don't think once you start training the muscle you will get 100% recovery during your workout. I pretty much go straight through with minimal rest. So for my chest day after the last set of Pec Dec Flyes is performed I am on my way over to the Incline Smith Presses. The only delay is a warm up set , possibly, or my partner performing his set before I go. The same thing holds true when we move to flyes. It's the time it takes us to walk from the Smith to the dumbell area and grab what we need for Incline Flyes.
    The routine I am currently on I believe causes great strength increases for the amount of time you implement it. I don't think you can use it for more than 6 weeks 8 if you are a true exception. I think that if you were to give the workout a try in the order and fashion we perform it in, you would notice both strength and size increases as well. As far as building up my own strength on the second exercise my weights have jumped up dramatically each week.
    I thank you for your questions and your support. If I can be of any further help or you need me to go into more detail to explain something please let me know.

thanks

thanks
    Anytime. I am glad I could be of help. I had originally typed out a long explanation but figured the abridged version would be better and not as confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by AVBG View Post
    I like the way you describe your training .. Much more interesting than just numbers.. I believe the more info you can capture in your log the more you will learn from it.

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually thinking of changing it next week to just reflect the numbers and sets. I am glad you have enjoyed the journal.

Aside from the physicality of your training Matt how do you prepare yourself mentally not only for the workout but also the day that surrounds your training?

To be completely honest I don't. What I mean by this is whatever I am doing at that given time is where my attention is. I used to plan out my day and think about my workout what I would do when I got into the gym and how heavy I would train, what I would listen to etc. Now when I am not in the gym, I don't think about the gym and my workouts have been much better since. I feel as though this mental approach has helped me out in my progression.

What are your bodybuilding aspirations? Is bodybuilding competition a stepping stone to other things you have mentally mapped out?

I love bodybuilding and always have. I have helped several competitors with their training, diets, posing music, routines pretty much everything because it is my passion. I enjoy helping people learn about the sport or share from my knowledge to help them improve.
    As far as using it as a stepping stone I don't have any set plans but I don't rule anything out either. I am open to wherever the sport may take me but I will always be a bodybuilder.

What holds Matt Cena back from being the best Matt Cena possible?

I don't want to sound too philosophical but nothing.
    I believe the only thing that can hold someone back in life is themselves. I have been told that being a natural bodybuilder and the weight I started at I wouldn't be able to get over 230lbs without resorting to drugs. With the help of my then trainer Tom Prince, whom I have tremendous respect for, I hit an off season weight of 252lbs.
    I was told that I wouldn't be able to achieve some other things as well and that I was crazy for competing in non tested shows. I did several last year placing as high as 2nd in one of them.
    I feel life has no limits except those you set upon yourself.
    Sorry I missed this earlier but when I checked the thread I went to the second page as I assumed my training post wa probably the last one on the first page.

AVBG

Great answers Matt.. I like getting into the head of people who are driven like yourself to learn what works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AVBG View Post
    Great answers Matt.. I like getting into the head of people who are driven like yourself to learn what works for them.
    Anytime.
    I will be wrapping up my day soon as tomorrow starts at 0430.

Thank you to everyone who has been following along here as I chart my workouts and progress.

Dude,I did your leg workout this morning.Two sets of leg extensions with the drop sets then two sets of front squats on the smith machine.I used the same weight on the front squats that I have been using and much to my surprise I got 9 reps compared to 12 I got last week when I did them first.My quads are trashed and I don`t know how I`m going to get through a full day of work.Guess I won`t be too productive today.I just want to say thanks again and I`ll get out of here.

Dude,I did your leg workout this morning.Two sets of leg extensions with the drop sets then two sets of front squats on the smith machine.I used the same weight on the front squats that I have been using and much to my surprise I got 9 reps compared to 12 I got last week when I did them first.My quads are trashed and I don`t know how I`m going to get through a full day of work.Guess I won`t be too productive today.I just want to say thanks again and I`ll get out of here.
    You are welcome here anytime.
    I am glad to see that the workout has been productive for your leg training. The fact that you used the same weight for front squats is awesome, that's great work! I wish you the best making it through work today.

Hey Matt, Thanks for stopping by my thread and giving me some great motivation! Your avatar pic looks beast it would be cool to see some other competition photos. Keep training hard and I hope that your next competition goes great for you! I am sure with your hard work ethic you will earn your natural pro card in no time.

5/6 Shoulders and Triceps

Today was Shoulder and Tricep training. Chris, Mark and I were ready to go after a day off and the workout proceeded as follows:
    Seated Side Laterals: Warming up with 20′s, then 35′s I prepared for my first set. 60′s were used and once I reached failure Mark ensured I got my extra reps, drop those and pick up the 45′s. They start out not so heavy but that changes quick, again Mark helps with my extra reps then I grab the 30′s to finish my set. Again at the point of failure additional reps were performed with Mark’s help. Two sets were performed here before moving on.
    Nautilus Plate Loaded Nitro Press: Time to get after it, 5 45lb plates are placed on each side of the machine. It gets heavy quick, with 3 forced reps out of the way after failure, 2 plates per side are removed and right away the pressing begins. Failure again and worked past with the help of forced reps from Mark. Two sets then on to the next exercise.
    Rear Delt Pulldowns: 130lbs used for these, I use a neutral grip semi wide handle. The bar is worked through a limited range of motion keeping tension on the rear delts, too far and it will start targeting the lats. Again two sets, no forced reps here as we move on.
    Incline Rear Delt Raises: Lying face down on an incline bench , the rear delt flyes begin. I used 25′s for the first set then dropped to 20′s to ensure maximum isolation. This concluded the shoulder portion of our workout.
    Incline Cable Skull Crushers: Placing an incline bench close to the cable tower and placing the pulley a little above the bottom of the tower we attached a cambered bar. Warm up set out of the way, frst set done and finished with the 200lb stack for 12. 2 working sets with no forced reps.
    Rope Pressdowns: 120lbs for pressdowns for 3 sets. Nothing fancy here just regular old pressdowns.
    Bench Dips: I haven’t done these in a while so cautiously my first set was performed with only a 45lb plate across my thighs. After this and the fact that Mark asked when we were going to start our workout because he was just getting warmed up I decided that I was capable and comfortable going heavier. Now with 2 plates and 125lb dumbell placed on top I did my two sets, 8 reps with the dumbell then 6 reps with just the 2 45′s. This concluded the training session for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by turkish1530 View Post
    Hey Matt, Thanks for stopping by my thread and giving me some great motivation! Your avatar pic looks beast it would be cool to see some other competition photos. Keep training hard and I hope that your next competition goes great for you! I am sure with your hard work ethic you will earn your natural pro card in no time.
    It won't be my only stop, I will be checking in to see your progress so keep at it! Hopefully I will be earning my Pro Card later on this year, I have a few events in mind I am pushing for so we will have to wait and see how it pans out.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast