Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

4/29 Shoulders and Triceps

I arrived at the gym shortly after Mark and we proceeded to get right into the shoulder workout.

Rear Delt Pulldowns: These are performed in a lat pulldown station, three sets here 75lbs, 145lbs and 160lbs.

Seated Side Lateral Raises: Warmup set with 30's, then 45's. First set was with 55's and every rep took it's toll until my arms would no longer elevate to my sides at which point Mark had assisted with three more reps, quick drop and picked up the 40's getting right after it and again three forced reps. 25's were the last leg of this triple drop set and by this time they felt just as heavy as the 55's, blasted them out with 3 forced reps and that concluded set 1.
    Set 2 was the same attack but with 60's, 40's then the 25's. I made Mark use the 60's and he returned the favor for my second set.

Nautalis Shoulder Press Plate Loaded: 2 plates per side was the warmup for 10 reps. I take my APT wraps out of the bag, slowly tightening them around my wrist as I know what workload lies ahead. It's time to get after it and with 5 plates per side now loaded on the machine there is no time for second guesses. I grip the oversized handles and press with everything I have. Again the weight ends up stopping my progress despite my best efforts to continue pressing and so with Mark's help three more reps are achieved. Quick drop to 3 plates per side and I am right back to pressing. Three forced reps round out my efforts here and then we move on.

Rear Delt Machine Flyes: 240lbs, getting right into it as that is all the stack on this particular machine holds. Start squeezing the rear delts to get the weight back, as the reps increase so does the fatigue which accompanies it. Three forced reps, drop to 180lbs and go at it again before dropping to 135lbs and finishing the set. One and done here then we move into triceps.

Smith Close Grip Bench Presses: 135lbs warm up for quick 10 reps. 315lbs was on the agenda until Mark said that would be enough at which point I upped the ante throwing on 365lbs. The weight feels incredibly higher than that as I struggle to get every rep. At the point where pressing no longer gets the bar any further off my chest Mark again guides me for three more reps until I drop to 225lb to failure plus three forced reps.
    Second set performed in the same fashion with 315lbs to a drop off 225lbs.

Rope Pressdowns: 80lbs for one set then 2 sets with 120lbs for 8 reps each set.

Incline Overhead Dumbell Extensions: 105lb dumbell for 12 reps the first set. 125lbs for the second and final set, again 12 reps and the workout was complete.

With our shoulders and triceps officially trashed we walked form the gym proud of our accomplishment and knowing tomorrow for Back it will be the same style of torture. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by the mighty stu View Post
    ahhh Golf! -lol, Last summer playing 'Pitch n Putt' with my shirt off was the closest I got to actual tanning

S
    I know what you mean. I truly enjoy the game but am a total hack. It was good to just "relax" for the day though by going out to the course since it is probably the last time I will be able to get out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyoshi Moody View Post
    I know u doing the TEAM U!!!!?
    Hey Kiyoshi, I am going to make that determination within the next few weeks. It is an incredible show and I have to try to keep up with you and the rest of the freaks up there. If I can get myself where I feel I need to be at this point then I may end up at the Team U for sure.
    Thank you very much for checking in. You are a true inspiration to Natural Bodybuilders everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by AVBG View Post
    Thanks Matt. This is the best place for Natural bodybuilders and seeing that you're here is only going to make it stronger.
    I truly appreciate it. I will do everything that I can to help out. Thank you again for the warm welcome and support.

Define your training style high intensity or volume?
    Continuously Variable Resistance, I'm just kidding. My approach is always evolving and I don't really consider myself to really have an approach I guess.
    Currently I am working with a Hybrid BFT Approach. BFT is a training system which was promoted and developed by the late Trevor Smith. I have used the system with much success in the past. This time around though where I am contemplating some shows in the near future I have modified the program so that I can really hammer out my weak points. I will be following this for 1 more week making it 3 weeks in total for this phase at which point I will take more progress pictures and evaluate what I need to focus on from here making modifications to my program.
    The next phase of my program is pretty much set up but I will be making some changes after next weekend when I look at the pictures.

AVBG

All I ask is you keep it real and not dodge any hard questions..lol..serious

This site is as only as strong as it's contributors. Competitors/trainers like yourself (amongst others who have posted up here) inspire people to train and stay drug free.

Now I got to convince my boy nat87 to start a thread

AVBG

(everybody loves Kiyoshi at least on this board they do)

yo matt looking big bro! i'm new to RX cause i just switched from another forum so I plan on following you, joe, and some of the other guys. what kind of split would you recommend for bulking?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Attack View Post
    yo matt looking big bro! i'm new to RX cause i just switched from another forum so I plan on following you, joe, and some of the other guys. what kind of split would you recommend for bulking?
    Thanks for following along here, I hope you find the journal interesting and informative.

As far as what type of split is best for bulking, to me it's almost like saying what shoes are best to train in. By that I mean, find one that works for you and get after it. In my opinion, intensity and consistency are what counts for bulking. When I first started my BFT split a few years back I had people tell me I was nuts and I wouldn't get bigger or stronger doing the pre exhaust triple drop sets starting with flyes and blah blah blah.
    Well, I said "Wait and see". After completing that training cycle and getting past 300lb pec deck flyes I was able to bench press 455lbs and do incline dumbell flyes with 125's. I guess my point is as long as you give everything you have to your workouts and stay consistent with them and nutrition, that is the best program for bulking. I hope this makes sense, if not I will try to give some other examples.

All I ask is you keep it real and not dodge any hard questions..lol..serious

This site is as only as strong as it's contributors. Competitors/trainers like yourself (amongst others who have posted up here) inspire people to train and stay drug free.

Now I got to convince my boy nat87 to start a thread
    No worries. As fas as nat87, what's he waiting on? let's get him posting one soon.

(everybody loves Kiyoshi at least on this board they do)
    He is truly an inspiration and a great competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cena View Post
    Thanks for following along here, I hope you find the journal interesting and informative.

As far as what type of split is best for bulking, to me it's almost like saying what shoes are best to train in. By that I mean, find one that works for you and get after it. In my opinion, intensity and consistency are what counts for bulking. When I first started my BFT split a few years back I had people tell me I was nuts and I wouldn't get bigger or stronger doing the pre exhaust triple drop sets starting with flyes and blah blah blah.
    Well, I said "Wait and see". After completing that training cycle and getting past 300lb pec deck flyes I was able to bench press 455lbs and do incline dumbell flyes with 125's. I guess my point is as long as you give everything you have to your workouts and stay consistent with them and nutrition, that is the best program for bulking. I hope this makes sense, if not I will try to give some other examples.
    yeah thanks matt i follow you with that. over the summer i did a lot of pre exhaust and drop sets and made some good gains in mass. I also threw in some low rep, powerlifting set-rep schemes which helped too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Attack View Post
    yeah thanks matt i follow you with that. over the summer i did a lot of pre exhaust and drop sets and made some good gains in mass. I also threw in some low rep, powerlifting set-rep schemes which helped too.
    That is definitely a solid foundation. I have used a similar format in the past with great results as well. I wish you the best with your bulking phase and look forward to your updates.

4/30 Back And Calves

Early a.m. session for us today and we are joined by Chris, one of Mark’s clients. Chris has made an amazing transformation over the past 10 months and is looking to compete later on this year. It was great to have him in the workout as we attacked our backs. here’s what went down:
    Hammer Strength Pullovers: 90lbs warm up, just getting everything moving in the right direction then 180lbs then 270lbs same principle. Preparing our bodies for the work that lies ahead. With these three warm up sets out of the way we get right after it Mark goes first and after the completion of his set I strap myself in using the seat belt provided as I prepare for my set. 360lbs is loaded behind me, 4 plates per side and with my chest high, shoulders back I contract my lats forcing my elbows back and squeezing every rep for all it’s worth. My lats eventually resist and as fatigue sets in coupled with the heavy weight fighting back against me, Mark steps in to ensure I get three more reps in strict fashion focusing all attention to my lats. 45lbs per side is dropped and the process begins anew. Muscular failure again rears it’s ugly head but Mark is the to ensure we work past it. Pushing past failure and in the process building our physiques better. 45lbs again is dropped per side and the final leg of the triple drop is attacked. When I can no longer contract my back on my own will Mark gets me for three more reps and exhausted my set is now complete. I am unsure what is going through Chris’ head at this point but he straps in and gets his first set. We perform one more set each in the same fashion.
    Low Incline Lat Pulldowns: With an incline bench facing into the cable crossover station we attached a cambered handle. Gripping the outside of the handle and lying face down we start out pulldowns. Getting a deep stretch and then pulling the bar between our bodies and the bench contracting our lats to the best of our abilities, three sets are performed here. I use 140lbs and 160lbs for the last two sets.
    Lat Pulldowns: We proceed to lat puuldowns, with our backs upright and our elbows forward to alter the stress of these pulls. A warm up set is performed with 75lbs and then 175lbs for two sets of 8 reps per set in strict fashion.
    Seated Cable Rows: We used a wide neutral grip handle. This was a three part process for the first set. With a knee in the back ensuring an upright position was maintained the first leg of the rows was accomplished. When strict reps could no longer be performed, our training partner stepped out and we were now free to use some momentum for five more reps. Still contracting the lats hard for the finish of the pull. After the five reps, leaning forward for five more partial reps, the range of motion was only about 6-8 inches keeping the tension in the upper lats just underneath the arms. The pulley, however, was not far enough forward on this machine so we dropped this portion for the second set. One more set here and we move on. The weight I used was 150lbs for a warm up, 225lbs for my first set and 210lbs for my second and final set.
    Hyper Extension Rows: Yes, the hybrid hyper extension with a dumbell in each hand for those familiar with the movement. I grab a 20lb dumbell in each hand, I begin my hyper extension at the top of the movement I have my lower back contracted and now I pull the two dumbells upward as if getting into a rear lat spread. The contraction is held then the dumbells are lowered and fianlly I lower myself to the start of the rep where the process begins again. Two sets here and done. As I part ways with Mark and Chris, they go on to Biceps and I move on to hit Calves quickly.
    Freemotion Single Leg Rotary Calf: This machine has two independent foot pads which pivot inward or outward. I set the seat at a comfortable level and put the pin at 200lbs. I perform these one leg at a time. Pressing with my big toe and focusing on keeping the pad moving straight I perform 25 reps. I then switch to my left leg repeating the process. I rest for a short while, 15 seconds, and complete the same process finishing my workout with my second and final set.
    I head to the water fountain and mix one scoop of Anabolic Halo by Muscle Tech with 8oz of water and pound that down as I exit the gym. I know I gave everything I had to the workout and the recovery process has begun. When I get home it will be a Nitro Tech shake, 2 scoops with 16oz skim milk.

Hey, Matt..great journal. I'll be following along for sure. I've been training at Hard Nocks past couple weeks. Love the place! I feel right at home.

Quote Originally Posted by joedemarco View Post
    Hey, Matt..great journal. I'll be following along for sure. I've been training at Hard Nocks past couple weeks. Love the place! I feel right at home.
    Thanks Joe, great to have you along for the journey. I am very glad to hear that you are training over at Nock's, the gym is awesome. I am sure I will see you in there when I am back in July, possibly June.

5/3 Chest and Biceps

This is the last week for our hybrid BFT Training approach. The workout today went as follows:
    Pec Dec Flyes: We warmed up slowly with three sets until we were ready to approach our first working set. 240lbs was the maximum weight we used and made sure every rep was performed in a ZMR style. We paused at the start of the rep, focusing all energy on muscular contraction slowly the weight was brought to the completion of the rep and with our chest high squeezed for a solid contraction before slowly lowering the weight, pausing and starting the next rep. Once failure was reached additional forced reps were implemented and the triple drop set began. Two sets were performed in this fashion then it was off to the presses.
    Incline Smith Machine Presses: 4plates per side was the starting point, I would like to say 405lbs but with the slides for the smith machine taking stress off and a different bar weight I will just leave it at 4 plates for a start. Pressing to failure then forced reps then drop one plate at a time until we were down to 1. The next set was the same fashion with 3 plates down to 1.
    Incline Dumbell Flyes: 100lb dumbells for 2 sets to finish off our chest attack.
    Hammer Strength Preacher Curls: 1 warm up set with 50lbs then it was go time. 3 45lb plates were stacked with a 2.5lb plate as a spacer to make removal easier. Failure + forced reps+ drop sets = Total bicep stimulation!
    Hammer Curls: I used 40lb dumbells and Mark worked his way up to 55′s. We did three sets.
    Seated Free Motion Cable Curls: 45lbs and continuous tension. Contracting 1 arm at a time three sets were performed here and the workout was finished. Another great session in the gym.

5/4 Quads and Hamstrings

This morning session included myself, Mark and Chris. We didn’t waste too much time getting ready and here is how the leg workout went:
    Leg Extensions: Warmed up with a few sets of lighter weight, around 150lbs for 15. I was a few minutes late so I kind of got right into it but still light enough to call them warm ups. The stack was used with a 25lb plate stapled to it. The first set was underway, as the reps increased so did the fatigue. I decided at my point of failure Mark would assist me in completing the rep and then push downward on the pad to provide additional resistance for the negatives. After this were 10 reps with a 6-8inch range of motion to keep continuous tension on the quadriceps. The weight was dropped and again the same process, the final drop occurred and the set was finished in the same fashion.
    The second and final set my quads were refusing to cooperate so after failure Mark simply helped with the additional forced reps and I was in control of the negative with no additional force applied. Again 10 partial reps, drop and repeat. Then the final drop and repeat the 10 partial reps.
    Single Leg Leg Presses: A quick warm up with 2 plates per side then right into the fun stuff. I loaded 6plates on each side and got into the press ready to give my all. I performed two sets with this weight trying to force Mark to push himself as hard as he could. Chris surprised both of us with his second set using 4 plates per side, a new personal record for him.
    Reverse Hack Squats Superset with Dumbell Squats: With 5 plates on each side and facing the back pad I got into position, released the handles and began my set. After completion of the 8 reps I immediately held an 80lb dumbell in front and performed 10 squats with my heels slightly elevated on 2 2.5lb plates.
    Cable Pull Through: This is an exercise I was introduced to from powerlifters. Grabbing a rope with my hands in between my legs I walked away from the cable stack. The reps are performed by letting your arms go through your legs for a stretch and then contracting your hamstrings and glutes bring the weight out in front of you.
    Lying Hamstring Curls: set 1, I performed reps to failure with my toes pointed slightly out. Then by turning my toes inward attempted to get my forced reps. After the forced reps 5 partial reps were performed and the weight was dropped. Again same attack finishing off with the final 5 partial reps.
    The second set was 100lbs to failure, which for me occurred at 16 reps. The first 10 reps my toes were pointed out and the final 6 my toes were straight in line with my calves.
    I am extremely happy with the end result and am looking forward to my day of rest tomorrow. No weight training and we will be back after it on Thursday.

AVBG

I like the way you describe your training .. Much more interesting than just numbers.. I believe the more info you can capture in your log the more you will learn from it.

Aside from the physicality of your training Matt how do you prepare yourself mentally not only for the workout but also the day that surrounds your training?

What are your bodybuilding aspirations? Is bodybuilding competition a stepping stone to other things you have mentally mapped out?

What holds Matt Cena back from being the best Matt Cena possible?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast