Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by lomox View Post
    99% of medicine is theoretical. The exceptions mostly being things that can kill you... and even then we've had people survive executions - not be-headings, but lethal injection, electrocution, etc. Most consider it a fact that dietary fat causes high cholesterol - even if this were observed 99.9% of the time, it still wouldn't be a fact. Its not even a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow, but extremely likely.
    exactly....finally someone understands logic and rational thinking

The Federal Reserve should be audited, they are stealing our money!!!

lomox I like you, you say what I try to.

Keep it up!

PENCILNECK

Quote Originally Posted by billmeek View Post
    I do think that a lot of organic foods are not healthy. For instance, organic 'agave syrup' is still shitty sugar, just without pesticides/herbicides used. However, I think the way in which food is produced is of much greater importance. Grass fed beef, raw dairy, wild caught seafood, unprocessed fats - these are the important ones. And in response to the opening of the article, its not "more nutrients" that should be considered the benefit of organic foods, but the absence of harmful additives and chemicals.
    Well put! Then there is also the fact that most organic foods (especially the meat, chicken, fish and vegetables) simply are more tender and taste better.

However, I think the "lack of poison" argument is enough for me...

MUSCLEHEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Foreman_Rules View Post
    What you were saying was simple hogwash, try to come up with a real argument next time. If you are too lazy to put in the 5 minutes of research just don't post son.
    What I said was not hogwash, and you never even showed a source for your posted facts. You don't even understand what I'm talking about because I agree with you, but I suppose that's too far fetched for you to understand.

Big Barry

I read this book and now i'm worried about everything and have no life!!!

Grow your own fruits/veggies. And when you can kill your own animals.

Quote Originally Posted by lomox View Post
    I stand corrected. But this is kinda disturbing...

Commercially grown tilapia are almost exclusively male. Cultivators use hormones such as testosterone to reverse the sex of newly spawned females. Because tilapia are prolific breeders the presence of female tilapia results in rapidly increasing populations of small fish, rather than a stable population of harvest-size animals.[8]

Whole Tilapia fish can be processed into skinless, boneless (PBO) fillets: the yield is from 30 percent to 37 percent, depending on fillet size and final trim.[9] The use of tilapia in the commercial food industry has led to the virtual extinction of genetically pure bloodlines. Most wild tilapia today are hybrids of several species.
    interesting note:i can go toa local lake by my house(in the US) ang catch 1-2 pound talipia regularly.

MUSCLEHEAD

From Foodpolitics.com

Presidential panel says: choose organics!

Thanks to Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times (“New alarm bells about chemicals and cancer“) for telling readers about a report on chemicals and cancer just released by the President’s Cancer Panel.

I had never heard of this panel – appointed during the Bush Administration, no less – and went right to its 2008-2009 annual report.

The Panel says that the “risk of environmentally induced cancer has been grossly underestimated,” that “nearly 80,000 chemicals [are] on the market in the United States, many of which are…un- or understudied and largely unregulated,” and that “the public remains unaware…that children are far more vulnerable to environmental toxins and radiation than adults.”

evidence suggests that some environmental agents may initiate or promote cancer by disrupting normal immune and endocrine system functions. The burgeoning number and complexity of known or suspected environmental carcinogens compel us to act to protect public health, even though we may lack irrefutable proof of harm.

I’m guessing this report will cause a furor. Why? “Lack irrefutable proof” means that the science isn’t there. In this situation, the Panel advises precaution. Check out these examples selected from the recommendations:

Parents and child care providers should choose foods, house and garden products, play spaces, toys, medicines, and medical tests that will minimize children’s exposure to toxics. Ideally, both mothers and fathers should avoid exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals.
    It is preferable to use filtered tap water instead of commercially bottled water.
    Exposure to pesticides can be decreased by choosing…food grown without pesticides or chemical fertilizers [translation: organics] and washing conventionally grown produce to remove residues.
    Exposure to antibiotics, growth hormones, and toxic run-off from livestock feed lots can be minimized by eating free-range meat [translation: don't eat feedlot meat].
    Expect to hear an uproar from the industries that might be affected by this report. The American Cancer Society (ACS) doesn’t like it either, since the report implies that the ACS hasn’t been doing enough to educate the public about this issue. The ACS said:

Elements of this report are entirely consistent with the recently published “American Cancer Society Perspective on Environmental Factors and Cancer”…Unfortunately, the perspective of the report is unbalanced by its implication that pollution is the major cause of cancer, and by its dismissal of cancer prevention efforts aimed at the major known causes of cancer (tobacco, obesity, alcohol, infections, hormones, sunlight) as “focussed narrowly”…it would be unfortunate if the effect of this report were to trivialize the importance of other modifiable risk factors that, at present, offer the greatest opportunity in preventing cancer.

ACS says the Panel does not back up its recommendations with enough research. Maybe, but why isn’t ACS pushing for more and better research on these chemicals? However small the risks – and we hardly know anything about them – these chemicals are unlikely to be good for human health. Doesn’t precaution make sense? I think so.

Addition, May 7: Here’s Denise Grady’s take on the report from the New York Times: “Cancer society criticizes federal panel as overstating risks.”

MUSCLEHEAD

Genetically Modified Soy Linked To Sterility, Infant Mortality In Hamsters, Jeffrey Smith, April 20, 2010

Five years later and we're still finding the same problems in test animals and livestock. Maybe it's the GM corn or soy. Maybe it's the pesticides on these crops. (Since GM crops are designed to resist pesticides, more pesticides are applied, even when they don't need to be, well, except now with resistant weeds...) But we continue to plant and eat genetically engineered crops. We continue to feed them to our food animals. We continue to dismiss these findings.

Jeffrey Smith says:

"Without detailed tests, no one can pinpoint exactly what is causing the reproductive travesties in Russian hamsters and rats, Italian and Austrian mice, and livestock in India and America. And we can only speculate about the relationship between the introduction of genetically modified foods in 1996, and the corresponding upsurge in low birth weight babies, infertility, and other problems among the US population. But many scientists, physicians, and concerned citizens don't think that the public should remain the lab animals for the biotech industry's massive uncontrolled experiment."
    The FDA (led by recently installed former Monsanto executive Michael Taylor) and the USDA continue to claim that there is no difference between GMOs and their non-genetically engineered counterparts.1

If they have information that refutes these studies, why not make it public? It would make a lot of us feel more comfortable, especially with their recent efforts to prevent labeling of genetically engineered food (as well as labels designating a food does not contain GMOs.)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567