Default Old School Cutting Diet

The owner of the gym(who is a former bodybuilder) I workout at recommended a diet like this to me for cutting. He recommended eating 10 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, and a cup of oatmeal for breakfast. After that it would be five meals of just protein and veggies. He told me not to worry about taking in extra fat when I asked if I should eat almonds, olive oil, etc. I'm thinking about trying this but I'm thinking the blood sugar fluctuations would be crazy. The oatmeal would be enough to knock you out of ketosis and you'd be relying on veggies for energy. He swore by this diet and said it got him the "hardest" he ever was while competing. Old school but effective? Any opinions?

PENCILNECK

well it depends on two things the persons metabolism and the quantity of oatmeal whether or not you will attain keto on that diet. i'm following a smillar diet but more keto orientated, with a more old school approach aswell. my fat comes from many sources red meat,mayo,eggs,cheese,evoo etc. and i'm still holding muscle very well and my muscles still look full.
    At the end of the day its up to you and you need to experiment with your body, but id say go for it.

just my two cents.

MUSCLEHEAD

thats probably like 1200 calories...unless your on a bunch of gear you're going to lose muscle

I'm assuming the oatmeal is the pre-workout energy source? Then no energy source the rest of the day...hmmmm... protein veggie days are no fun - especially after re-feeds or cheat meals. I am totally starving - not something I would want to endure every day! Once a week is bad enough

Quote Originally Posted by Silidons View Post
    thats probably like 1200 calories...unless your on a bunch of gear you're going to lose muscle
    Enlighten us some more............

J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr;18(2):115-21.
    Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate.

Bryner RW, Ullrich IH, Sauers J, Donley D, Hornsby G, Kolar M, Yeater R.
    Department of Human Performance and Applied Exercise Science, West Virginia University, Morgantown 26506, USA.
    Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Utilization of very-low-calorie diets (VLCD) for weight loss results in loss of lean body weight (LBW) and a decrease in resting metabolic rate (RMR). The addition of aerobic exercise does not prevent this. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of intensive, high volume resistance training combined with a VLCD on these parameters. METHODS: Twenty subjects (17 women, three men), mean age 38 years, were randomly assigned to either standard treatment control plus diet (C+D), n = 10, or resistance exercise plus diet (R+D), n = 10. Both groups consumed 800 kcal/day liquid formula diets for 12 weeks. The C+D group exercised 1 hour four times/week by walking, biking or stair climbing. The R+D group performed resistance training 3 days/week at 10 stations increasing from two sets of 8 to 15 repetitions to four sets of 8 to 15 repetitions by 12 weeks. Groups were similar at baseline with respect to weight, body composition, aerobic capacity, and resting metabolic rate. RESULTS: Maximum oxygen consumption (Max VO2) increased significantly (p<0.05) but equally in both groups. Body weight decreased significantly more (p<0.01) in C+D than R+D. The C+D group lost a significant (p<0.05) amount of LBW (51 to 47 kg). No decrease in LBW was observed in R+D. In addition, R+D had an increase (p<0.05) in RMR O2 ml/kg/min (2.6 to 3.1). The 24 hour RMR decreased (p<0.05) in the C+D group. CONCLUSION: The addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in preservation of LBW and RMR during weight loss with a VLCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hungarian_Oak View Post
    The owner of the gym(who is a former bodybuilder) I workout at recommended a diet like this to me for cutting. He recommended eating 10 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, and a cup of oatmeal for breakfast. After that it would be five meals of just protein and veggies. He told me not to worry about taking in extra fat when I asked if I should eat almonds, olive oil, etc. I'm thinking about trying this but I'm thinking the blood sugar fluctuations would be crazy. The oatmeal would be enough to knock you out of ketosis and you'd be relying on veggies for energy. He swore by this diet and said it got him the "hardest" he ever was while competing. Old school but effective? Any opinions?
    That's not real "old school" that's 1980's... go on the videos section for "Ric's Corner", Ric Drasin was Arnold Schwarzenegger's old work out partner. Check out his YouTube Video "bodybuilding diet of the 70's". It's very interesting... you need a lot more calories, and less carbs...

MUSCLEHEAD

Quote Originally Posted by •P®øD¶G¥• View Post
    You're seriously going to act like an idiot with a study showcasing 17 women and 3 men, which we don't get to know training history and their weight?

100 bucks says their all overweight and don't have any previous training experience.

MUSCLEHEAD

J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr;18(2):115-21.
    Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate.

Bryner RW, Ullrich IH, Sauers J, Donley D, Hornsby G, Kolar M, Yeater R.
    Department of Human Performance and Applied Exercise Science, West Virginia University, Morgantown 26506, USA.
    Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Utilization of very-low-calorie diets (VLCD) for weight loss results in loss of lean body weight (LBW) and a decrease in resting metabolic rate (RMR). The addition of aerobic exercise does not prevent this. The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of intensive, high volume resistance training combined with a VLCD on these parameters. METHODS: Twenty subjects (17 women, three men), mean age 38 years, were randomly assigned to either standard treatment control plus diet (C+D), n = 10, or resistance exercise plus diet (R+D), n = 10. Both groups consumed 800 kcal/day liquid formula diets for 12 weeks. The C+D group exercised 1 hour four times/week by walking, biking or stair climbing. The R+D group performed resistance training 3 days/week at 10 stations increasing from two sets of 8 to 15 repetitions to four sets of 8 to 15 repetitions by 12 weeks. Groups were similar at baseline with respect to weight, body composition, aerobic capacity, and resting metabolic rate. RESULTS: Maximum oxygen consumption (Max VO2) increased significantly (p<0.05) but equally in both groups. Body weight decreased significantly more (p<0.01) in C+D than R+D. The C+D group lost a significant (p<0.05) amount of LBW (51 to 47 kg). No decrease in LBW was observed in R+D. In addition, R+D had an increase (p<0.05) in RMR O2 ml/kg/min (2.6 to 3.1). The 24 hour RMR decreased (p<0.05) in the C+D group. CONCLUSION: The addition of an intensive, high volume resistance training program resulted in preservation of LBW and RMR during weight loss with a VLCD.
    HAHA GTFO in that group each person lost an average of about 110lbs, learn to read

Quote Originally Posted by Silidons View Post
    HAHA GTFO in that group each person lost an average of about 110lbs, learn to read
    I figured someone making a statement like that, wouldn't know how to read a study

Fine, the study is not perfect, but your statement doesn't prove shit either, post a study to back that up?

Fact is, many lean individuals <13% have used a PSMF (around 1200 calories take or give) to reduce body fat without losing LBM, Go to Lylemcdonald's either forum and check out the RFL section and their studies section.

Your statement is "On 1200 calories/day of a high protein diet, with resistance training in a lean individual WILL ALWAYS lead to muscle loss unless "gear" steroids, are used" Back that up, You can't.

FREAK

I figured someone making a statement like that, wouldn't know how to read a study

Fine, the study is not perfect, but your statement doesn't prove shit either, post a study to back that up?

Fact is, many lean individuals <13% have used a PSMF (around 1200 calories take or give) to reduce body fat without losing LBM, Go to Lylemcdonald's either forum and check out the RFL section and their studies section.

Your statement is "On 1200 calories/day of a high protein diet, with resistance training in a lean individual WILL ALWAYS lead to muscle loss unless "gear" steroids, are used" Back that up, You can't.
    You're being utterly ridiculous right now...just sayin

MUSCLEHEAD

I know exactly what the UD2 is, and he says to never go under 1200 even if you are a woman, 1500 is the lowest he'd want a man to go. It's only for 3 and a half days too. 1 and a half days of carb up and then 2 days of maintenance. you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually I was talking about RFL book (Rapid Fat Loss) http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the...-loss-handbook

It is usually always lower than 1,200kcals for women and most men too.

Cardio is very low on that plan if at all, weights are full body 2-3 times a week, don't do it if you have a physically demanding job. My activity level is higher now and I'm leaner so I added more calories+more activity.

From 210-190 I was doing zero cardio, just protein(meat only) trace fats and zero carbs, deadlift 395lbs was 365 1st time ever, squat 405 was 365, bench 295, was 255.

I'm sure I lost at least 10lbs of muscle

He does recommend refeeds/free meals for cat 2 (non obese) and duration 4-6weeks only and cat 1(leaner ones) for only 12 days or so and then finish with a refeed, I didn't do any refeeds or cheat meals though.

You have to read this thread and laugh at the fact the "Low cals kills muscle" argument was started off of someone ASSUMING the quantity of calories.

The Original poster did not state what quantities he will be eating.

Oh, and according to Dr Connelly, calories are a useless figure and don't really matter.

If you want to try the diet, go for it. Stop if you don't like it or don't get positive results. ....what's the big deal?