Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    GameofInches

I chocked my #2 with a hose clamp today so that way I can practice training the final portion of the close (which is the hardest). I will do those for singles. I will then use my #1 and do no sets for reps in order to train my fingers and the whole range of motion. THis should help my crushing strength improve greatly.

Forum Leader: Rx Strength Headquarters robert da strongman's Avatar

anyone deal with wrist pain and losing grip?
    seems my right hand isnt cooperating lately.

Quote Originally Posted by robert da strongman View Post
    anyone deal with wrist pain and losing grip?
    seems my right hand isn't cooperating lately.
    i had that happen about a year ago. but mine was from over training. I used a tens unit i have on my forearms and it helps alot. also dexterity balls are good i hear. grip is not my strong point. i can close a coc 1 about 20 times each hand but i cant close the 2.

Default Training Grip

Ed Coan once told Louie Simmons "If you work your forearms with wrist rollers and exercises like that, basically your forearms get thicker and your hands get thicker and your grip gets no better, he was completely right"

To sum that up it's the fingers that need to be built up majorly

Types Of Grip

Pinch - Thumb strength, Hook grip, Plate pinches etc
    Crush - the ability to squeeze with the hand
    Static - holding an object
    Forearm - A majority of the work for grip work is done here
    Fingers/Exstensors - open hand work or recovery

Exercises

Pinch

Plate Pinches - Take three plates or more of any weight you find manageable for 10 seconds of static hold, sandwich them together and hold them together smooth sides facing out, I'm told dimes are good, whatever the hell they are

Hook Grip - Hold the bar inbetween the balls of the fingers and thumb using the thumb as a sort of clamp

HookGrip.jpg

Hub Lifting

Possibly the most painful and difficult feat of grip strength for the average athlete pick up a 25lb, 35lb or 45lb olympic plate by the edging around the hole

HUBLIFTING.jpg

Crush

Grippers - from the 'Heavy Grips' to the 'Captains of Crush', there are two ways to train with grippers with a set and without

Without a 'Set'
    Just squeeze

With a 'Set'
    1. Thumb forward, creating a base

2. Plant thumb of off hand on gripper handle closest to thumb pad

3. Grab other gripper hand with fingers of off hand

4. Flex off hand to start the gripper moving while walking the fingers onto the far handle of the gripper

5. Remove off hand

6. Crush

Weighted Grippers

Basically stationary grippers you can load up

Forearms
    Towel Deadlifts and Barbell Rows

Wrap a towel and grab it vertically in each hand do the row or dead as you normally would

Hex Head Dumbell Holds

An old favourite of powerlifters, Get a hex head dumbell (a hexagonal dumbell) and hold it by one end, hold it until your grip fails

Fingers/Exstensors

Ironmind Extensors

Bands not disimilar to those adopted by charities at some point in the 2000's livestrong etc, these bands are places around the thumb and fingers as the user expands the hand evenly causing response in the fingers

I actually mean't to post that in the grip post >.<

To me the best grip exercise is Judo lol believe it or not, being a blackbelt i've developed a strong grip from 7 years doing judo and constantly gripped the GI, and doing judo exercises for grip!!

GameofInches

Does anyone have a link for a solid gripper routine? I am looking for a routine that I can follow (b/c without one I just mess around with the grippers and don't really get anywhere) in order to go from being able to close the COC#2 for a couple reps to being able to close the COC#3. Thanks in advance for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by WELSHPOWER View Post
    To me the best grip exercise is Judo lol believe it or not, being a blackbelt i've developed a strong grip from 7 years doing judo and constantly gripped the GI, and doing judo exercises for grip!!
    At Seni a few years back I 'sold' grip training (I was working with Stan Pike on his stand) by picking MMA etc guys up by their GI or belts.

Quote Originally Posted by GameofInches View Post
    Does anyone have a link for a solid gripper routine? I am looking for a routine that I can follow (b/c without one I just mess around with the grippers and don't really get anywhere) in order to go from being able to close the COC#2 for a couple reps to being able to close the COC#3. Thanks in advance for the help!
    Sets and reps hold no magic. Just look at what you do for strength for other bodyparts and use that as a template or starting point.
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

found this from elitefitness

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/rosie.htm

Great Find!!!
    IronMagLabs 15% Off Coupon Code = TheNeck15

Blackstone Labs 10% Off Coupon Code = TheNeck10

5 areas of grip.....

pinch---your thumb strength
    crush---the ability to squeeze with the hand
    static---holding an object
    forearm---surprise this is where the majority of the muscles are
    fingers---open hand work or recovery
    I will be checking this out as I want to increase my grip. Adrian Peterson the running back of the Minnesota Vikings is said to have a very strong grip when shaking hands.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Forum Leader: Rx Strength Headquarters robert da strongman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post
    I will be checking this out as I want to increase my grip. Adrian Peterson the running back of the Minnesota Vikings is said to have a very strong grip when shaking hands.
    it is an area a lot of people neglect to train

Default Get Gripped I – Why train your grip?

My name is Gaz and I have a problem – I’m addicted to grip training. I can’t help it, I just love it. It started off as one or two grip exercises every now and again, but it’s gotten so bad lately that I’m now doing at least two dedicated full blown grip training sessions a week! And you know what? My performance in almost every other exercise has gone through the roof. That weak link has been taken care of, and I can concentrate on what’s really important – lifting the weight, not holding onto it.

Sure there’s a case for straps and gloves, but if you’re anything like me it’s just an extra thing to remember, and another thing that can go wrong. In this series of articles for GetLifting we’re gonna go through a whole load of different grip exercises to train all the key areas of grip and hand strength, not specific to weightlifting but to climbing, arm wrestling, martial arts, and even manual labour or if you just want to carry your shopping a bit easier!

Start off by adding the exercises into your training (anywhere you like) for 1-3 sets, and gradually introduce new exercises or sets as you see fit. I’ll be giving you tips on how to do this along the way, and letting you know what each exercise is good for so you can pick and choose what’s right for you. Usually they fall into one of these key areas:

Crushing Grip – Your ability to close your hand with a powerful contraction of the forearm and literally crush whatever you’re holding. This type of grip is great for arm wrestling and building a strong handshake.

Static Grip – How strong you are at keeping your hand closed against a static resistance. Most weight training exercises use this type of grip when you hold onto dumbbells or bars during sets. This one is essential for everybody.

Pinch Grip – This one is a little alien to most people, but pinch grip is the strength of your hand when you’re holding an object that doesn’t allow you to wrap your fingers around it – with your thumb on one side and fingers on the other. Important for rock climbers and physically demanding/manual labour professions.

Finger Strength – The strength of your fingers either in an open hand position, when performing intricate tasks using the fingertips, or the resilience of each finger on it’s own. Relevant to rock climbers and martial arts enthusiasts.

Wrist Strength – The strength of the wrist when placed under static stress, stretching, forearm contraction, or compression. Useful for martial artists, fighters, and weightlifters.

Everybody can benefit from stronger, healthier hands, and hopefully you’ll enjoy this unique and rewarding style of training as much as I do! Next time we’ll look at some exercises in a little more detail.

Until then, train hard!

http://getlifting.info/?p=324
    IronMagLabs 15% Off Coupon Code = TheNeck15

Blackstone Labs 10% Off Coupon Code = TheNeck10

Quote Originally Posted by The Neck View Post

My name is Gaz and I have a problem – I’m addicted to grip training. I can’t help it, I just love it. It started off as one or two grip exercises every now and again, but it’s gotten so bad lately that I’m now doing at least two dedicated full blown grip training sessions a week! And you know what? My performance in almost every other exercise has gone through the roof. That weak link has been taken care of, and I can concentrate on what’s really important – lifting the weight, not holding onto it.

Sure there’s a case for straps and gloves, but if you’re anything like me it’s just an extra thing to remember, and another thing that can go wrong. In this series of articles for GetLifting we’re gonna go through a whole load of different grip exercises to train all the key areas of grip and hand strength, not specific to weightlifting but to climbing, arm wrestling, martial arts, and even manual labour or if you just want to carry your shopping a bit easier!

Start off by adding the exercises into your training (anywhere you like) for 1-3 sets, and gradually introduce new exercises or sets as you see fit. I’ll be giving you tips on how to do this along the way, and letting you know what each exercise is good for so you can pick and choose what’s right for you. Usually they fall into one of these key areas:

Crushing Grip – Your ability to close your hand with a powerful contraction of the forearm and literally crush whatever you’re holding. This type of grip is great for arm wrestling and building a strong handshake.

Static Grip – How strong you are at keeping your hand closed against a static resistance. Most weight training exercises use this type of grip when you hold onto dumbbells or bars during sets. This one is essential for everybody.

Pinch Grip – This one is a little alien to most people, but pinch grip is the strength of your hand when you’re holding an object that doesn’t allow you to wrap your fingers around it – with your thumb on one side and fingers on the other. Important for rock climbers and physically demanding/manual labour professions.

Finger Strength – The strength of your fingers either in an open hand position, when performing intricate tasks using the fingertips, or the resilience of each finger on it’s own. Relevant to rock climbers and martial arts enthusiasts.

Wrist Strength – The strength of the wrist when placed under static stress, stretching, forearm contraction, or compression. Useful for martial artists, fighters, and weightlifters.

Everybody can benefit from stronger, healthier hands, and hopefully you’ll enjoy this unique and rewarding style of training as much as I do! Next time we’ll look at some exercises in a little more detail.

Until then, train hard!

http://getlifting.info/?p=324

I'm printing this out.

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Aside from these great basics i would add swinging heavy maces and clubs. After a heavy mace. Training session you will realise the great benifit. I dont have a crusher but a friend that swings the mace as heavy as i do closes the #3 for reps and static holds it for ten seconds. All from mace n clubs

Bump.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast