Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners View Post
    Who cares about a 1-1 ratio?
    This is a mishmash courtesy of Google. See if it makes sense re the importance of (or why we all should possibly care about) a 1-1 ratio.

Omega-3 and omega-6 keep cell walls healthy. However, omega-3 is more important than omega-6 because omega-3 seems to reduce risks of heart disease, high blood pressure and arthritis. Macadamia nut oil is the only cooking oil with a favorable ratio of omega-3 to omega-6. Olive, for instance is 1 part omega-3 to 8 parts omega-6.

Omega-3 and omega-6 imbalance is responsible for many chronic heart conditions.

The average American diet provides more than 10 times the proper amount of omega-6. Most of us are getting too much of a good thing. Why is that?

Linoleic acid (LA) is found in the primary oil added to most processed foods. (This indicates another reason to limit our eating of processed foods.) It is also found in the often used oils listed above.

Lower levels of omega-3 fatty acids can increase the risk of heart disease. This is especially true with diets high in saturated fats. Simply put we are designed to receive a high intake of omega-3 fatty acids.

Exactly! Under 5%, Dave talks a lot of shit
    how so? he said its full of heart healthy fats, and that the ratio of 3/6 was identical. how much is whats in question. so i hardly see how thats talking "shit".
    Keep Ritch Banned. FOR-EVER.

Un-Ban SKELETOR though, yo.

Exactly! Under 5%, Dave talks a lot of shit
    I don't believe the quantity is as important as the ratio. The underlying structure of how you plan the content of your meals is what should be key.

Here's the thing, most people know jack about what they're putting in their stomachs. The information he provides on mac oil versus other cooking oils seems legitimate or valid. The smoke point*, the ratio of 6 to 3's?

*A high smoke point apparently makes the oil "ideal for sautéing and stir-frying. Unlike olive and canola oils, macadamia nut oil even keeps its flavor at that heat."[1]

Is any of this going to prevent you from being killed in a car accident? No. But that fact doesn't mean that anyone is talking "shit".

He's presenting nutritional information. How is that wrong? What's your recommendation? Is it your belief that mac oil is bad for your health?

Of course if you have a diet of Twinkies and soda then your ratio of whatever is going to be a moot point, but I assume that people who are paying attention to this detail are also maintaining an overall healthful diet.

Make any sense?

[1] http://www.hawaiiankinestuff.com/manutoil.html

Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    how so? he said its full of heart healthy fats, and that the ratio of 3/6 was identical. how much is whats in question. so i hardly see how thats talking "shit".
    Exactly my thought.

^^ you misquoted me here bro.. i said "Who cares about a 1-1 ratio? This balance will be thrown off by your diet anyway and the amount of 3's & 6'3 is miniscule anyway.

Which i think is a fair point, consider what you wrote above "The average American diet provides more than 10 times the proper amount of omega-6."

In this case why would it be imporatant to a have a 1-1 ratio when the amounts of both are negligible in mac nut oil also. I just doesn't make sense to me, i think Dave is being misleading here.....

I agreed with what he said, except it is not high in omega 3's that is bullshit.

^^ you misquoted me here bro.. i said "Who cares about a 1-1 ratio? This balance will be thrown off by your diet anyway and the amount of 3's & 6'3 is miniscule anyway.

so because you have other sources of fats, the ratio of this one doesnt matter? think about what your saying...
    Which i think is a fair point, consider what you wrote above "The average American diet provides more than 10 times the proper amount of omega-6."

In this case why would it be imporatant to a have a 1-1 ratio when the amounts of both are negligible in mac nut oil also. I just doesn't make sense to me, i think Dave is being misleading here.....

not even close. its important because thats the ratio of a paleolithic diet. ie the way were supposed to eat. your saying your going to discredit this oil because its not enough? or our normal diet is so heavy in 6 that this "miniscule" amount wont weigh out the other oils in our diet? dont you realize how ridiculous this sounds?
    see red.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    I don't believe the quantity is as important as the ratio. The underlying structure of how you plan the content of your meals is what should be key.

Here's the thing, most people know jack about what they're putting in their stomachs. The information he provides on mac oil versus other cooking oils seems legitimate or valid. The smoke point*, the ratio of 6 to 3's?

*A high smoke point apparently makes the oil "ideal for sautéing and stir-frying. Unlike olive and canola oils, macadamia nut oil even keeps its flavor at that heat."[1]

Is any of this going to prevent you from being killed in a car accident? No. But that fact doesn't mean that anyone is talking "shit".

He's presenting nutritional information. How is that wrong? What's your recommendation? Is it your belief that mac oil is bad for your health?

Of course if you have a diet of Twinkies and soda then your ratio of whatever is going to be a moot point, but I assume that people who are paying attention to this detail are also maintaining an overall healthful diet.

Make any sense?

[1] http://www.hawaiiankinestuff.com/manutoil.html

Exactly my thought.
    I bet you didn't think you would be having a small argument about mac nut oil when you woke up this morning. If in the mess above your point is, the indentical ratio of 3/6's, even though the amount is completely insignificant in the product, is important for health minded people who wish to keap this balance in their overall diet, BTW try doing this it is extremely difficult and not practical or worth it and i can say probably 99% of people using the product are not even trying to keap this balance. But, if this is your point - point taken.

I bet you didn't think you would be having a small argument about mac nut oil when you woke up this morning. If in the mess above your point is, the indentical ratio of 3/6's, even though the amount is completely insignificant in the product, is important for health minded people who wish to keap this balance in their overall diet, BTW try doing this it is extremely difficult and not practical or worth it and i can say probably 99% of people using the product are not even trying to keap this balance. But, if this is your point - point taken.
    if in the mess above, there is a sentance, then i dont see it.

so because its difficult, you shouldnt try to emulate it? AND NOT WORTH IT?!?! tell that to someone with a chronic inflamatory disease..... they'll literally slap you in the face. You dont know what your talking about, and its quite evident.

if in the mess above, there is a sentance, then i dont see it.

so because its difficult, you shouldnt try to emulate it? AND NOT WORTH IT?!?! tell that to someone with a chronic inflamatory disease..... they'll literally slap you in the face. You dont know what your talking about, and its quite evident.
    Let's break this down quickly:

1 - Dave say's mac nut oil is high in omega 3's. That is bullshit it contains only 1-2%.

2 - The identical balance of 3/6's firstly, is true of some not all varieties. Secondly, we're talkin about 1-2% compared too 1-3%. This is TINY like your brain. Have you ever tried to eat in a way to maintain this balance? No, neither do the vast majority taking the product. It's very difficult to do, not worth it in the grand scheme of an overall diet. It's simply not a real benefit but, a selling point!

3 - I said i agreed with everything else and take actually take mac nut oil myself.

^^ you misquoted me here bro.
    Nah, I didn't misquote you at all. And I referred to the rest of what you said a few posts later when I posted this:

"Of course if you have a diet of Twinkies and soda then your ratio of whatever is going to be a moot point, but I assume that people who are paying attention to this detail are also maintaining an overall healthful diet.

Make any sense?"

Does it?

I don't believe that Palumbo is being misleading at all. He's presenting basic information. But even that basic info is difficult to grasp for many. Myself included.

Again, are you saying that mac nut oil is bad for you? Gimme a break here.

^^ i said at the very beginning of the thread, Mac nut oil is healthy, it has a high concentration of mono-unsaturated fats & has the major practical benefit of a high smoke point, i take it myself.

However, this guy had a specific question on the omega 3 content. Dave says it's high, i say that's bullshit and you proved it lol.

On the balance of 3/6's really..... Do you take the product? Why don't you post up your diet and we can see if the 3/6 balance is identical. The quantities in this product of both are tiny! The best bet to address the balance of 3/6's is to take in extra omega 3, preferably from an animal based source like oily fish. Which i recommended at the start of this thread. Taking this product will not address that issue.

Question

I agreed with what he said, except it is not high in omega 3's that is bullshit.
    Dave say's mac nut oil is high in omega 3's. That is bullshit it contains only 1-2%.
    Where does he say that?

Ffwd the video to 1:50 and play it from there. Palumbo states that macadamia nut oil has "some omega 3 and omega 6 fats which are considered polyunsaturates."

Some. Not "high in." His focus is on smoke point, the balance or ratio, and that it doesn't oxidize or go bad.

Okay, son of a... at 3:33 he does say mac oil is "high in omega 3 fats".

I bet you didn't think you would be having a small argument about mac nut oil when you woke up this morning. If in
    heh No, I surely did not. lol

the mess above your point is(snip)
    But that wasn't a "mess"! Some of it had to make sense. I'll bet Dave, Chris Aceto, et al. would laugh at the absurdity of people who don't know squat about nutrition would be "arguing" over the contents of a supplement or health food product.

What's your background? I teach art and, thankfully, I am not required to be at all familiar with the specifics of macadamia nut oil.

Hey, I will say this (and it's probably irrelevant), each tablespoon of the oil contains 1 gram of polyunsaturated fat. If the ratio is 1:1 then we're talking 500 mg of omega 3 and 500 mg of omega 6, right? That's a wash because there are other fats in that tablespoon, aren't there?

But, if this is your point - point taken.
    I rarely have a point. lol

Honestly, this is a discussion and for me that means—especially in this instance—that I'm trying to figure out the subject matter. I'm no nutritionist. I have an interest in eating correctly. And I have to believe that Dave simply misspoke. Earlier in the vid he said "some" and then at 3:33 he said "high".

Taking this product will not address that issue.
    Again, taking this product does address smoke point and offers an oil which doesn't oxidize or go bad. And, yes, whatever amount of omega 3 and omega 6 fats it contains are in a 1:1 ratio which is apparently healthful.

I do have two bottles of Species mac nut oil here, but have been using EVOO on my salads. I'm maintaining a keto diet I pulled from Dave's one course and have dropped from 196.6 lbs. on April 3, 2010 to 183.8 lbs. on May 29, 2010 for however many pounds in eight weeks.

Can we talk about movies instead?

Boy, that Gemma Arterton is a cutie.

Art teacher eh... My art teacher said i would end up as a 2nd hand car salesman, if only she could see me know, she would be so dissapointed.

Actaully, i'm a macadamianutoilcrolonogist, stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Just kidding, an accountant with an eye for detail (3:33).

We turned this conversation around Curt, mums and bitches were round the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Again, taking this product does address smoke point and offers an oil which doesn't oxidize or go bad. And, yes, whatever amount of omega 3 and omega 6 fats it contains are in a 1:1 ratio which is apparently healthful.

I do have two bottles of Species mac nut oil here, but have been using EVOO on my salads. I'm maintaining a keto diet I pulled from Dave's one course and have dropped from 196.6 lbs. on April 3, 2010 to 183.8 lbs. on May 29, 2010 for however many pounds in eight weeks.

Can we talk about movies instead?

Boy, that Gemma Arterton is a cutie.

Your trying to blind me with science now. You keap taking my words out of context. It will not address the issue of 3/6 balance. Ok give me a minute mate i am going to do this to you and see how you like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast