Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Something i've noticed about 20 something guys and modern day gyms

I saw this posted elsewhere and it has gotten up to 5 pages so I thought this merited discussion here.

"being in my late 30's i remember when guys in gyms were legitimately strong and big as opposed to these days where it seems like a guy walks around like a hardass after inclining 225 for a couple of reps and quarter squatting 315, my guess is that it's because the 30 and under guys have been raised so un physical with the video games and general pussy lifestyle, there a so many fewer legit big strong guys in gyms these days, have you noticed the same?"

"Hmm, tough one..

in not quite as old as you but where i train, its def a more hardcore gym for the surrounding cities (10 miles in every direction) and its well known, and on a daily basis, i dont often see a ton of guys lifting heavy or balls to the walls, there are some, but i find a lot of guys r just there to lift and exercise, then 1/50 ppl there is a competitor. depends on where u live i imagine and the time of day u go the gym

i bet most serious guys r gonna be there between 5-7pm based on getting off work and going when its busy
    Im not super strong but i def work harder than most ppl Im watching around me. .. trying to get stronger!"

"yea ive noticed it but i also enjoy it .. its another source of motivation to put them to shame with my work ethic. I don't even mean that in a negative way. I have all different sources of motivation that allow me to flip a switch in my head when im in the gym. Some come from different gorups of people. Group A would be the big guys who are truly strong and know their shit who I want to be able to keep up with and surpass someday. Group B are the people challening me that I will never let outwork me. Group C are the people who have nothing on me and thats how I want to keep it. Although I lift and want to compete in BB for myself it is fun to have some other source of rivalry and competition which is all out of respect in my eyes. I don't hate I just work harder."

"What gets me is how I have been working my ass off in the gym for years and these younger generation guys come up and ask me what steroids I'm taking or "what's your secret" questions. Dude... hard work and dedication which is something these guys have absolutely no clue about!!! All they want is some short cut to the end result no matter the cost!!!!"

"Just got back from the gym, and the statement ***** makes is TRUE. I see it all the time in my gym, even tonight. You got young guys my age or younger walking around the gym thinking there are awesome cause they bench 225, squatting the same, and not even attempting a deadlift! Also note: MUST have their shirt split down the side tatted up along the rib cage to be really hardcore. Please actually put some weight on the bar and train!! Pretty boys will always be pretty boys. Why not be as strong as you look. It only makes sense."

"OH MAN, you nailed this shit on the head for me. Ive had an issue with this for a bit. now im not big, not that strong... dont claim or act like i am, and im 24yrs old, but i was raised better than to act like one of them self righteous tool bags. we got guys in the gym that i go to that mean mug you right after they bench 175 or something like that. and some that do a few reps, followed by endless flexin of non existent muscles. whatever, if that what you want to do then do it. if it helps inflate that ego then by all means continue.... just dont expect me to take you seriously when you want to discuss workout habits/routines."

Let's see what the RX community has to say about that. Do you agree or disagree? Discuss.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

RX MEMBER

im in my 20s and i agree, i grew up taught to train hard when i was real young so i was not affected but todays teens and 20 sumtins just dont have the work ethic it takes to become big and look for easy ways out before even building a base.

I got into this to be big and strong. I get the whole "it's not how much you lift, it's how you lift it crowd"....I am still apart of that group somewhat. But since moving over to competitive powerlifting and using lower rep ranges and heavy ass weight, I am getting the growth I wish I got in my late teens and early twenties.

Its something about getting under a bar and it's just you and the weight. To me, there are certain truths(and I give credit to Wendler on this one) If you press a bar over your head, you'll grow, if you squat with a decent amount of weight on your back or across your shoulders, you'll grow....and if you pick heavy shit up off the floor(and better yet run with it, i.e. farmers walk) you'll grow. I have no idea why guys just want to look about it, but not be about it. But then again, I like being as strong as I look, so I may be in the minority

Banned

It's called the pussyfication of America.

Quote Originally Posted by baby gorilla View Post
    Correct.

And it makes me sick.

As much as people "hate" the meathead hardcore crowd in today's "health clubs", THAT is what all the posers are aspiring to, whether or not people actually want that element around. People start thinking they can go thru the motions and get that look - but when they don't have that reality check of the big sweaty guys pulling 6 plate DLs, they really have no idea what it takes. All I see is people trying to play at being a real lifter, but they have incredibly poor form but still walk around like they're all jacked up.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    As much as people "hate" the meathead hardcore crowd in today's "health clubs", THAT is what all the posers are aspiring to, whether or not people actually want that element around. People start thinking they can go thru the motions and get that look - but when they don't have that reality check of the big sweaty guys pulling 6 plate DLs, they really have no idea what it takes. All I see is people trying to play at being a real lifter, but they have incredibly poor form but still walk around like they're all jacked up.

The infamous invisible lat syndrome.

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by baby gorilla View Post
    repped for george carlin reference

I saw that thread as well and responded to it. I'm 27 and yes, I carry a gym bag with gloves, a belt, and straps in it. I also drink Xtend while working out so do I fit this guy's description?

All I know is I bust my ass in the gym and hopefully to others it shows in my physique (I'm a natural as well).

I'm 50 something and I get aggravated when I see kids at the gym goofing off, talking on their phones, curling in the squat rack, and just being stupid..... but in reality I'd rather see them in the gym being stupid than on the streets being stupid and getting into trouble.
    I do miss the good old days when people went to the gym to work out.

MUSCLEHEAD

It doesn't matter what age you are...it just depends what type of person you are. There are older guys in my gym who do the same thing...

I am very shy in person, and don't act like this at all, nor would I train with people that do. I was raised with and still play video games.

I'm 24 years old and i go to the gym to lift heavy ass weight!! I'm not there to make friends and chit chat. I don't carry a phone at the gym so if your trying to get a hold of me, tough fucking luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bad leroy brown View Post
    I got into this to be big and strong. I get the whole "it's not how much you lift, it's how you lift it crowd"....I am still apart of that group somewhat. But since moving over to competitive powerlifting and using lower rep ranges and heavy ass weight, I am getting the growth I wish I got in my late teens and early twenties.

Its something about getting under a bar and it's just you and the weight. To me, there are certain truths(and I give credit to Wendler on this one) If you press a bar over your head, you'll grow, if you squat with a decent amount of weight on your back or across your shoulders, you'll grow....and if you pick heavy shit up off the floor(and better yet run with it, i.e. farmers walk) you'll grow. I have no idea why guys just want to look about it, but not be about it. But then again, I like being as strong as I look, so I may be in the minority

Most guys in high school and college get into lifting to be big and strong. That also helps a great deal in sports. I am part of that crowd. I may not compete in bodybuilding but I lift because I want to be bigger and stronger than I have been. It is almost a sense of pride when i have to wear XXL casual shirts and go to big and tall men's store to buy dress shirts that will fit me. Getting athletic cut size 50 regular suits and still have to take the suit pants in and take in the waist part of the jacket is a pain in $$$ but somehow i feel good about getting bigger.

I am somewhat biased here, but I dont think it has anything to do with age! Its a question about mentality! I often see guys in their 40s going into the gym, completely clueless and just slowly grind away with the small weight, not even breaking a sweat! I swear its like watching a zombie, I really hope they show more commitment outside of the gym than they do in the gym, otherwise they suck at life!
    But again its not about age, I see young guys really hitting the iron, and being serious about their training, whether they are natties or juiced!
    And I'd like to think of myself as a strong commited motherfucker!
    I held the benchpress record in my own gym, I set it last year and it hasnt been beaten since, people of all ages train there, mind you I'm only 21!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post
    I saw this posted elsewhere and it has gotten up to 5 pages so I thought this merited discussion here.

"being in my late 30's i remember when guys in gyms were legitimately strong and big as opposed to these days where it seems like a guy walks around like a hardass after inclining 225 for a couple of reps and quarter squatting 315, my guess is that it's because the 30 and under guys have been raised so un physical with the video games and general pussy lifestyle, there a so many fewer legit big strong guys in gyms these days, have you noticed the same?"

"Hmm, tough one..

in not quite as old as you but where i train, its def a more hardcore gym for the surrounding cities (10 miles in every direction) and its well known, and on a daily basis, i dont often see a ton of guys lifting heavy or balls to the walls, there are some, but i find a lot of guys r just there to lift and exercise, then 1/50 ppl there is a competitor. depends on where u live i imagine and the time of day u go the gym

i bet most serious guys r gonna be there between 5-7pm based on getting off work and going when its busy
    Im not super strong but i def work harder than most ppl Im watching around me. .. trying to get stronger!"

"yea ive noticed it but i also enjoy it .. its another source of motivation to put them to shame with my work ethic. I don't even mean that in a negative way. I have all different sources of motivation that allow me to flip a switch in my head when im in the gym. Some come from different gorups of people. Group A would be the big guys who are truly strong and know their shit who I want to be able to keep up with and surpass someday. Group B are the people challening me that I will never let outwork me. Group C are the people who have nothing on me and thats how I want to keep it. Although I lift and want to compete in BB for myself it is fun to have some other source of rivalry and competition which is all out of respect in my eyes. I don't hate I just work harder."

"What gets me is how I have been working my ass off in the gym for years and these younger generation guys come up and ask me what steroids I'm taking or "what's your secret" questions. Dude... hard work and dedication which is something these guys have absolutely no clue about!!! All they want is some short cut to the end result no matter the cost!!!!"

"Just got back from the gym, and the statement ***** makes is TRUE. I see it all the time in my gym, even tonight. You got young guys my age or younger walking around the gym thinking there are awesome cause they bench 225, squatting the same, and not even attempting a deadlift! Also note: MUST have their shirt split down the side tatted up along the rib cage to be really hardcore. Please actually put some weight on the bar and train!! Pretty boys will always be pretty boys. Why not be as strong as you look. It only makes sense."

"OH MAN, you nailed this shit on the head for me. Ive had an issue with this for a bit. now im not big, not that strong... dont claim or act like i am, and im 24yrs old, but i was raised better than to act like one of them self righteous tool bags. we got guys in the gym that i go to that mean mug you right after they bench 175 or something like that. and some that do a few reps, followed by endless flexin of non existent muscles. whatever, if that what you want to do then do it. if it helps inflate that ego then by all means continue.... just dont expect me to take you seriously when you want to discuss workout habits/routines."

Let's see what the RX community has to say about that. Do you agree or disagree? Discuss.
    wow dennis wolf asked you that....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast