Page 103 of 192 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2874

Thread: The NFL thread

I'm putting in my Super Bowl prediction:

SEATTLE 42 NEW ENGLAND 20

I think the Seahawks win, overcoming such adversity, having all of the bounces going their way will give them the confidence to play loose, whereas I think the Patriots - particularly Bellichek and Brady will be focusing hard on that 4th chip and erasing any memories of Spy Gate.

I think Russell Wilson will continue to redeem himself. I predict rather than 4 INT's for Wilson, he will have 4 TDs, some passing, some running... his legs will be the difference in this game.

Throw in a TD(or two) by Beast Mode Lynch, and maybe a TD on defense and there's your Seattle score.

I don't think Blount will run over the Hawks as he did against the Colts, and the D will put pressure on Brady, just as the Giants did in their Super Bowl wins.

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

I got not against you for pick Seattle
    That's why the game is pick em here in Vegas
    But no way they are scoring 42
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

So it's been confirmed that the Patriots were using under inflated balls
    As a Pats fan this pisses me off.
    They did not need to do that to win the game.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Perfect distraction before the game. It will also create an us against the world mentality.
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    So it's been confirmed that the Patriots were using under inflated balls
    As a Pats fan this pisses me off.
    They did not need to do that to win the game.
    How did this get by NFL security? Wouldn't both teams also end up using underinflated balls? With the change of possession, turnovers, etc. And lastly, what is the punishment and consequence for this? Surely, the will NOT be removed from the superbowl.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

I had earlier picked the NFC to win the Superbowl but not by much. Before the championship games were played, I had Green Bay/ Seattle vs New England. Final score 31-28 for Green Bay/ Seattle. Of course right now, it would be 31-28 Seattle.

Patriots winning all three superbowls by last second field goals gets them the loss this time the same way. I see the game as competitive.

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post
    How did this get by NFL security? Wouldn't both teams also end up using underinflated balls? With the change of possession, turnovers, etc. And lastly, what is the punishment and consequence for this? Surely, the will NOT be removed from the superbowl.
    No each team provides their own balls
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

It wasn't always this way. This is recent.

Sent from some a tiny pocket super computer that lets me piss you off while on the go.

For what it's worth, I personally think underinflated balls have less zip and could also mess with the timing. Underinflated or not, I don't think it made a difference in the outcome of the game one way or the other.
    Last edited by Ibarramedia; 01-21-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

11 of 12 Pats footballs underinflated

By Chris Mortensen
    January 21, 2015

The NFL has found that 11 of the New England Patriots' 12 game balls were inflated significantly below the NFL's requirements, league sources involved and familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC Championship Game told ESPN.

The investigation found the footballs were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what's required by NFL regulations during the Pats' 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, according to sources.

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

League sources have confirmed that the footballs were properly inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff, before they were returned to each team.

ESPN Sports Radio 810 in Kansas City reported that the Patriots' footballs were tested at the half, reinflated at that time when they were found to be low, then put back in play for the second half, and then tested again after the game. The report did not reveal the results of the test following the game. All of the balls the Colts used met standards, according to the report.

Meamwhile, a source told WEEI.com that the Patriots used 12 backup balls for the second half against the Colts after issues were found with most of the originals. Patriots spokesman Stacey James confirmed that the team had 24 balls total available, WEEI reported.

Under NFL rules, no alteration of the footballs is allowed once they are approved. If a person is found breaking league rules and tampering with the footballs, that person could face up to a $25,000 fine and potentially more discipline.

Troy Vincent, the league's senior executive vice president of football operations, told The Associated Press late Tuesday in response to this report that the "investigation is currently underway, and we're still awaiting findings." He told "Pro Football Talk with Mike Florio on NBC Sports Radio" earlier Tuesday that the NFL expected to wrap up its investigation in "two or three days."

Sources earlier this season told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Colts had concerns about underinflated balls after their regular-season game against the visiting Patriots on Nov. 16.

During that game, Colts safety Mike Adams twice intercepted Tom Brady and gave the balls to the Colts' equipment manager to save -- and both times there were concerns about the balls feeling underinflated, sources told Schefter.

Those sources said the Colts raised concerns to the league, which was aware of the issue going into this weekend's AFC title game.

Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon the Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught" after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday.

Part of the investigation that needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became underinflated.

The balls are required to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces. Once approved by the referee, the balls are then put into ball bags and are set on the sidelines for each team. The ball bags are not guarded or watched in any way. When an official calls for a new football, a team's designated ball boy will get a new football from the ball bag and give it to the official.

"We have been in complete cooperation with the league and will continue to do so," James said.

The NFL began looking into the issue because doctoring the footballs could provide a competitive advantage, compromising the integrity of the game.

Deflating a football can change the way it's gripped by a player or the way it travels through the air. Under NFL rules, each team provides balls each game for use when its offense is on the field.

Furthermore, Brady told WEEI radio in November 2011 that he likes using underinflated footballs.

"When Gronk scores ... he spikes the ball and he deflates the ball. I love that, because I like the deflated ball," Brady said then of tight end Rob Gronkowski. "But I feel bad for that football, because he puts everything he can into those spikes."

Colts tight end Dwayne Allen, however, said on Twitter that the issue still didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick on Tuesday deferred questions about the investigation, saying reporters should ask league officials. Belichick earlier said he wasn't aware there was an issue until Monday morning and promised to "cooperate fully with whatever the league wants us to, whatever questions they ask."

This isn't the first time Belichick has been suspected of breaking NFL rules. He was fined $500,000 in 2007 for having an assistant spy on the New York Jets' defensive signals.

Special teams captain Matthew Slater said the Patriots "try to do things the right way. We work hard at our jobs, our professions, to be successful and it's unfortunate that things like this come up, but that's life, that's the world we live in."

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said he did not notice issues with the footballs and didn't specify when asked whether the Colts had reported the issue to officials.

"We talk just like they talk to officials [before the game]," he said. "We have an opportunity to talk to the officials about a lot of things."

Some Colts players -- punter Pat McAfee and cornerback Darius Butler -- took to Twitter on Tuesday night to give their spin on the situation.

Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman said the footballs didn't feel different than usual. And defensive tackle Vince Wilfork seemed amused by the matter and didn't shed any light on it.

"I don't know anything about that," he said. "I don't touch footballs. I tackle people."

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said on his ESPN Milwaukee radio show that he didn't like how referees who inspected balls before games take air out of the balls.

Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice voiced his opinion on Twitter, saying that all but one football being underinflated was too much of a coincidence.

More @ http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...mpionship-game

The fact that the Patriots deflated the football really impacted the game, instead of losing 45 to 7, the Colts could have lost 45 to13.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibarramedia View Post
    For what it's worth, I personally think underinflated balls have less zip and could also mess with the timing. Underinflated or not, I don't think it made a difference in the outcome of the game one way or the other.

It wouldn't have affected the final outcome of the game, but given the poor weather conditions for throwing the football, the Colts lack of a running game and the Pats use of Blount, the deflated ball would make it harder to strip and thus the Pats kept rolling up those Blounts and hitting the Colts with it

At this point, Pats fans should be ashamed.

This is just the first time they got CAUGHT.

How many times did they win a last minute drive or get into field goal range because of this exact thing?

I wonder.

Sent from some a tiny pocket super computer that lets me piss you off while on the go.

Had this been 1 or 2 balls. Maybe.

11 of 12.

Bullshit.

You know they are cheaters now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tu Holmes View Post
    Had this been 1 or 2 balls. Maybe.

11 of 12.

Bullshit.

You know they are cheaters now.

unless they kick them out of the Super Bowl (which they won't) Bellicheck will think it was worth it.

Page 103 of 192 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast