Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default IFPA Pro Tommy Jeffers "Sporto" Q&A and Contest Prep journal

Hey everyone! I'm relatively new to RxMuscle, but not to the online bodybuilding community. I frequent many other boards, but was asked by some people to start a journal over here as well, so here I am!

A little background, was involved in sports most of my life, and when that was done, I picked up bodybuilding (around 2004) and been doing it ever since. I was able to turn pro in 2007 at the OCB Midwest States and afterwards, took a 2.5 year offseason to try and bring up some weak points so that I look like I belong on the pro stage with the rest of the monsters!

To bring this journal up to speed, I am currently 15.5 weeks out from my first show and plan on doing a few all within about a month time span. I started back in mid May and have IFPA pro (and reigning Yorton Cup champion) Doug Miller overseeing my prep this year. Things ahve been great so far and I don't see any sign of slowing down! I don't care about placings in any show that I do, I am simply aiming to demolish the pics I took win I won my pro card. I am only competing against myself and will do everything I can to bring a much improved package to the stage this year and try to look like I belong with the big boys.

I turned 30 on June 10th...another milestone. But I have to say, I honestly feel so young still and i love that! I don't feel a day over 25, and I am simply loving every facet of my life. I am truly blessed with what I have and the things that are going on right now that I just don't know what to say except 30 is the new 20!

I just got back a couple of days ago from a week long cruise with my wife (I know, horrible timing right at the beginning of prep lol). Our birthdays are exactly a week apart, and we like to just go on a nice vacation together as our birthday presents to each other. This year we decided on a cruise, and it was the best decision we could have made. We ported at Cozumel (where we swam with dolphins and did tricks with them), Grand Cayman (where we swam with sting rays and did some shopping), and Jamaica (where we climbed the famous Dunn's River Falls waterfall). We had the best time and wished some of our friends could have come with to enjoy it with us!

I stayed on my diet as good as I could have and actually ended up losing a pound over the week I was eating roasted turkey and broccoli multiple times a day and using bread and wraps for my carbs every so often. I treated myself to one tiny bowl of ice cream on my birthday and a slice of pizza one night when it was the only option. Other than that, I was eating some great lean seafood (lobster tail, mahi mahi, snapper, etc.) and again, tons of broccoli. I wasn't able to get much of a workout on the cruise, but that's ok. It actually gave me time to heal up some nagging injuries and start fresh Sunday when I got back.

And boy was that a wake up call LOL! My body had to readjust back to the level of intensity that I had been accustomed to before the cruise and it so happened to be the toughest day in my 16 day split! Let's just say that sitting here now 2 days later, my legs are in so much pain, it reminds me of the very first time I did day one over a month ago.

In addition, my wife and I found out this morning that we are going to have a little girl! It was without a doubt because she was sitting at the perfect angle to be 100% certain from the ultrasound. The best part of everything was the fact that the baby was very healthy in all aspects of the checks that they were doing. So regardless of the sex, I was very happy to hear about her being healthy! We already have our name picked and we are excited to finish our registry

As for my prep - I must say I am very pleased so far. I weighed in this morning at 219.5...that's first time I've weighed less than 220 in over 2.5 years lol. Everything is feeling tighter, energy and strength are still through the roof, and weights used on most exercises are still going up. There have been a few these last couple of days where my endurance hasn't came back fully yet, so a few reps went down here and there, but overall I am still stronger across the board. I'm going to start incorporating a little HIIT cardio now that I am back and start implementing another phase of supplementation to really launch this prep to a whole new level!

Sporto

So how about some updated pics? I took a couple of shots with one of my workout partners (also a client of mine dieting for a fall show), and then some solo shots in a few of the mandatory poses. Feel free to leave me some feedback! I know the posing needs some work, and I intend to start working on them from here on out...

Sporto

Tommy! Looks like things are going great for you. Best of luck. The most shredded guy in the universe is doing your prep, so he might be a good choice!

You got Greg to go on a diet!? What show's he doing?

I'll definitely follow this as it progresses.

NGA, FAME and IFPA Pro

Are you the same Sporto on MD?

Glad to see you here Tommy!!! You are looking thick in the pics and can't wait to see what D. Miller does for you. Thanks for letting us come along for the ride.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave Smith View Post
    Tommy! Looks like things are going great for you. Best of luck. The most shredded guy in the universe is doing your prep, so he might be a good choice!

You got Greg to go on a diet!? What show's he doing?

I'll definitely follow this as it progresses.
    BIG DAVE! How the heck are ya? Long time no see! Kera and I haven't been out much lately since we are now parents to be

I know myself better than anyone, and even though I handle many preps for other people, I would still much rather have someone else handle my prep than me do it myself - especially the deeper I get into prep. I get too easily distracted on everything I have going on in my life right now that I would have a hard time making sure to adjust when needed and all of that, so I feel much more comfortable having it in someone else's hands. And Doug's pictures from the Yorton Cup this last year really captured me, so that's what drew me to him to work with him this time around.

Yeah I finally got Greg to go on a diet LOL. He's shooting for the OCB Mr Indiana on Sept 11. He's doing well so far, but he is going to have to go through a few obstacles and challenges to reach the finish line. With work, school, and an extremely tight budget, he doesn't have the luxury most others have...especially supplementation wise. He's got the muscle, but the diet will be the key for him, so we'll see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by MsGuns View Post
    Are you the same Sporto on MD?
    That's me! Wait....is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by rockhard View Post
    Glad to see you here Tommy!!! You are looking thick in the pics and can't wait to see what D. Miller does for you. Thanks for letting us come along for the ride.....
    Thanks! I'm pretty anxious to see the final package myself! Only time will tell...all that matters to me is putting up my contest pics next to my old ones and bringing a better overall package. However the rest plays out is fine with me

Sporto

Tommy how do Doug's theories compare to Layne's? Does Doug have you doing anything drastically different? I would love to hear the inside scoop on nutrition from two of the brightest minds in natural body building.

Will you continue to use the power/hypertrophy split?

Quote Originally Posted by sflynn23 View Post
    Tommy how do Doug's theories compare to Layne's? Does Doug have you doing anything drastically different? I would love to hear the inside scoop on nutrition from two of the brightest minds in natural body building.

Will you continue to use the power/hypertrophy split?
    Well, since they both charge money for their advice/techniques/theories on how to prep for a contest, I'm not at liberty to give any details as that wouldn't be fair to either one of them.

I will say that all aspects of the prep are all pretty different...I'm eating different, I'm training different, supplementation is very different, and even the cardio is different. They each have their own way of how they like to do things and no one way is better than the other, and obviously both of their methods work and probably also change slightly with new research and ideas on the front. So it is really hard to compare one to the other quantitatively, but qualitatively they are pretty different...

Sporto

Right on Tommy. Kick some ass this year.

I don't live in Indiana anymore, so you won't see me unless we bump into eachother at the Arnold. I moved back to PA in December. I tore my pec major and tendon and had re-attachment surgery on Dec. 7th. I'm in Indy this week to help my girlfriend move to PA with me. If you're at LA tonight, I'll be there in the evening.

Glad to hear life is on the up and up for you. Also glad to see you're on RxMuscle. It's a good forum here.

Hey Tommy great to see you on RX....another great Pro to answer questions. Call me or text me when you have time I have some questions about your Orlando visit and some ideas I have.

NGA, FAME and IFPA Pro

LOL! you are fine, I was just checking...I dont discriminate. You are a good guy. Its some of the assholes on these sites I dont like.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave Smith View Post
    Right on Tommy. Kick some ass this year.

I don't live in Indiana anymore, so you won't see me unless we bump into eachother at the Arnold. I moved back to PA in December. I tore my pec major and tendon and had re-attachment surgery on Dec. 7th. I'm in Indy this week to help my girlfriend move to PA with me. If you're at LA tonight, I'll be there in the evening.

Glad to hear life is on the up and up for you. Also glad to see you're on RxMuscle. It's a good forum here.
    Thanks Dave - kicking a little ass in on the menu this year!

Ah ok, didn't know you moved. Sorry to hear abou tthe injuries...that really sucks man. Nothing worse than being injured for sure. I have a few nagging injuries myself, but nothing that major. I'm usually at LA in the evenings, but yesterday was my cardio only day, so I did it early.

Rx looks like a good place - hope to meet some cool people and talk shop!

Quote Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    Hey Tommy great to see you on RX....another great Pro to answer questions. Call me or text me when you have time I have some questions about your Orlando visit and some ideas I have.
    Will do! I'll be on the road here shortly, so I'll text ya then!

Quote Originally Posted by MsGuns View Post
    LOL! you are fine, I was just checking...I dont discriminate. You are a good guy. Its some of the assholes on these sites I dont like.
    I understand - I was just hoping I wasn't one of them

Sporto

Wow...I've seen you post on MD and bodybuilding.com. I didn't realize Sporto= Tommy Jeffers aka the guy in the Layne Norton video series haha. I'm competing in my first show in 2 days so I was re watching those videos this week. Seeing all the backstage stuff helps ease my nerves a little bit.

Anyway, good luck with your prep. You added a ton of size since those videos in 2007 as I'm sure you know.

Very cool, really looking forward to see how everything plays out. I had no idea that you had taken such a chunk of time off after nabbing your pro card. You're definitely lookig considerably tight at 219. Best of luck Tommy.

S
    WNBF & USBF Pro

NGA, FAME and IFPA Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sporto View Post
    Thanks Dave - kicking a little ass in on the menu this year!

Ah ok, didn't know you moved. Sorry to hear abou tthe injuries...that really sucks man. Nothing worse than being injured for sure. I have a few nagging injuries myself, but nothing that major. I'm usually at LA in the evenings, but yesterday was my cardio only day, so I did it early.

Rx looks like a good place - hope to meet some cool people and talk shop!

Will do! I'll be on the road here shortly, so I'll text ya then!

I understand - I was just hoping I wasn't one of them

Sporto
    You are really cool and being an IFPA Pro is even better...

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast