Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

WOOO HOOO. Tommy's now on RXMuscle!

AVBG

Hey Sporto you want me to sticky this thread? make it a q&a with the journal?

Quote Originally Posted by OoFaP View Post
    Wow...I've seen you post on MD and bodybuilding.com. I didn't realize Sporto= Tommy Jeffers aka the guy in the Layne Norton video series haha. I'm competing in my first show in 2 days so I was re watching those videos this week. Seeing all the backstage stuff helps ease my nerves a little bit.

Anyway, good luck with your prep. You added a ton of size since those videos in 2007 as I'm sure you know.
    Yep...that's me! Glad the videos help!

Thanks...I'm really going to need the size if I'm going to compete with the big boys this year!

Quote Originally Posted by the mighty stu View Post
    Very cool, really looking forward to see how everything plays out. I had no idea that you had taken such a chunk of time off after nabbing your pro card. You're definitely lookig considerably tight at 219. Best of luck Tommy.

S
    Thanks - yeah, that's a common mistake I see in a lot of naturals...they don't take enough of an offseason to make noticeable improvements and they end up looking the same every year the compete. I needed a good couple years to make some really noticeable improvements if I was going to have a chance to do well on the pro stage...

Quote Originally Posted by MsGuns View Post
    You are really cool and being an IFPA Pro is even better...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman19871 View Post
    WOOO HOOO. Tommy's now on RXMuscle!
    I like it here!

Quote Originally Posted by AVBG View Post
    Hey Sporto you want me to sticky this thread? make it a q&a with the journal?
    You can if you want!

If anyone has any questions on how I do things, feel free to ask away!

Sporto

Weight is down to 217! My progress so far is right on track, and I feel like I'm right where I need to be. This last week has been a little transition week. I've switched into a little different phase of supplementation, made a few slight adjustments, and for the first time, have had a few bouts of lethargy and starting to "feel" a little bit of the diet. Surprising enough, strength is still really good, I just dragged a little bit in between sets, but was able to turn it on when I was lifting. A few notables...I'm still doing db walking lunges with 125s (the heaviest the gym has), and today I did bent over rows with 405 (personal best!) - it was the first time I've ever attempted that much weight with that exercise. I'm thinking about another week or so for this next phase of supplementation to kick in and I should be cranking things up another notch. I can't wait either...I felt invincible there for a few weeks! If all goes well, I'll be down a tad more by the end of the week and I'll take some more pics...hitting arms tomorrow!

Sporto

Quote Originally Posted by Sporto View Post
    Weight is down to 217! My progress so far is right on track, and I feel like I'm right where I need to be. This last week has been a little transition week. I've switched into a little different phase of supplementation, made a few slight adjustments, and for the first time, have had a few bouts of lethargy and starting to "feel" a little bit of the diet. Surprising enough, strength is still really good, I just dragged a little bit in between sets, but was able to turn it on when I was lifting. A few notables...I'm still doing db walking lunges with 125s (the heaviest the gym has), and today I did bent over rows with 405 (personal best!) - it was the first time I've ever attempted that much weight with that exercise. I'm thinking about another week or so for this next phase of supplementation to kick in and I should be cranking things up another notch. I can't wait either...I felt invincible there for a few weeks! If all goes well, I'll be down a tad more by the end of the week and I'll take some more pics...hitting arms tomorrow!

Sporto
    Tommy the freak of nature has arrived on rx! Great to see you here. Are you able to share your new supplementation protocol? Walking lunges with 125's? caramba!

Raphael

What are you taking that you expect to kick in? Are you creatine and/or beta alanine loading or something?

Time for an update! I've been really bad about keeping up with my online posting so far, so for those who actually follow and pay any attention, I'm sorry about the lack of updates so far this prep. Everything is still moving along well. I'm now down to 213 as of today, and have reached the part of the diet where I am starting to "feel" the dieting part. My energy is up and down a little bit and I really notice some suffering in the gym if I don't plan ahead my meals and time them. When I do nail my timing, my strength is still right where it was a few weeks ago. I'm still able to deadlift in the 5's, row in the 4's, and press in the 3's...I'll be taking some pictures very soon to show where my conditioning is at for now. I'm starting to look leaner and feel small lol. Cardio is going well - with the supplements that I am taking, I am on FIRE...sweat pouring, etc. Plus, I am "hitting the wall" so to speak a lot earlier each session, so that is good. I'm still nursing a couple of small injuries that I have to work around, but other than that, I can't complain. Working on the posing practice has been the toughest thing so far - man, people don't realize how hard it really is! On a side note, I've actually started to see some cross striations in places I've never had before (even when I competed last), so that's a good sign that some muscular development has taken place.

I hope everyone had a good 4th of July weekend!

Sporto

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMuscle View Post
    Tommy the freak of nature has arrived on rx! Great to see you here. Are you able to share your new supplementation protocol? Walking lunges with 125's? caramba!

Raphael
    Hey Raph, nice to be here!

The supplementation protocol is pretty complex and incorporates a lot of different things. I switching things in and out, upping doses, etc. It's not really set in stone. Plus there are a few things I'm trying different this time to see how I respond. If you have specific questions about anything in particular, I'll certainly give ya my thoughts!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that first day when I can't lunge with those anymore due to strength/energy drop either...

Quote Originally Posted by sflynn23 View Post
    What are you taking that you expect to kick in? Are you creatine and/or beta alanine loading or something?
    Specifically, one of the things I was referring to was high dose cissus...it has kicked in since my last update

I don't load creatine (just about 5g/day) and I mix around 6g of beta alanine with my xtend that I drink throughout the day...but those have been constant long before prep began...

Sporto

Weighed in at 212.5 this morning - continuing to roll! I'm on my way to do some morning cardio and I'm trying out the new Fruit Punch Quake 10.0 along with my secret pre-cardio thermogenic/fat burning stack...TIME TO BURN!

Sporto

sporto how's your prep coming along. i heard your interview with john hansen and you said you would be working with doug miller. how do you like working with doug? how's your prep coming along? how many weeks out are you from your show. good luck man.

so what made you change prep coaches, from layne to doug? looking good by the way looks like you've had some good off time growing. and take advantage of it now cause once the kid is here its hard to get all the meals and training sometimes. i know ive got a 8 month old, hard to believe but sometime they keep you so busy you forget to eat

Quote Originally Posted by Sporto View Post
    Hey Raph, nice to be here!

The supplementation protocol is pretty complex and incorporates a lot of different things. I switching things in and out, upping doses, etc. It's not really set in stone. Plus there are a few things I'm trying different this time to see how I respond. If you have specific questions about anything in particular, I'll certainly give ya my thoughts!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that first day when I can't lunge with those anymore due to strength/energy drop either...

Specifically, one of the things I was referring to was high dose cissus...it has kicked in since my last update

I don't load creatine (just about 5g/day) and I mix around 6g of beta alanine with my xtend that I drink throughout the day...but those have been constant long before prep began...

Sporto
    Sounds good, Tommy. I know this will be a great year for you on stage!

Another great workout tonight! Now that I am nailing everything on point, my mood, energy, and strength are a lot better (well at least until my workout lol). Once I ween off the carbs after my post workout meal, I start to get tired pretty fast. Today we hammered chest and back and then threw in some trap and ab work to top it off. Then about 10 minutes later, I did a good hard 20 minutes of posing - which, by the way, is harder than the cardio and workout put together! All strength, at the very least, maintained and went up on a few exercises. I may even be able to increase the weight next time through...so we'll see.
    Another bump in supplementation starting today...this should have me turning into a fat burning furnace! I weighed in this morning at a dead even 212lbs. When I got home this evening, after I was already spent, I had my wife take a few progress pics. The lighting is horrible, and my legs were SHOT from yesterday's workout, so the poses are a little "off" as I had very little energy to work with. Also, I haven't been practicing the "look" of each pose during my practices yet, only the squeeze and holds so far. So I know some of these don't look quite right, but at least it gives you an idea of where I am sitting at 212lbs and a little over 12 weeks out from my first show. Time to kick things up another notch and burn the rest of this nasty OFF!
    All feedback and criticism welcome!

Sporto

Quote Originally Posted by metallideth View Post
    sporto how's your prep coming along. i heard your interview with john hansen and you said you would be working with doug miller. how do you like working with doug? how's your prep coming along? how many weeks out are you from your show. good luck man.
    Prep is going alright...I've had some challenges and speed bumps along the way, but who doesn't, right?

I have nothing but great things to say about working with Doug and having him be my 3rd person perspective handling details. Very knowledgeable, very professional, etc. He has a lot of interesting ideas and approaches that I am implementing and really looking forward to see how it all comes together. Plus, he's a big dude, big dude, all the way big dude...

As of right now, I am a little over 12 weeks out from the first show I am aiming towards...and 16-17 weeks out fromthe final one I have planned...

Quote Originally Posted by jsfitnessking View Post
    so what made you change prep coaches, from layne to doug? looking good by the way looks like you've had some good off time growing. and take advantage of it now cause once the kid is here its hard to get all the meals and training sometimes. i know ive got a 8 month old, hard to believe but sometime they keep you so busy you forget to eat
    I can imagine! That's why I am trying to sneak this prep in just in time before I need to take a couple more years to do it again!

I switched to Doug (and it had NOTHING to do with Layne as a coach, he is a very good friend of mine) mainly because I wanted to know what Doug's views are on contest prep. Seeing as how he is one of the most shredded naturals, yet still big and full, that I have ever seen, I simply want to know how he trains, how he diets, how he supplements, etc. and apply that knowledge to what I have already learned on my own and from Layne to continually try to give myself the best opportunity to be the best natural bodybuilder I can possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMuscle View Post
    Sounds good, Tommy. I know this will be a great year for you on stage!
    It will, at the very least, certainly be interesting - it will really come down to how well my wife's pregnancy goes and when she actually delivers that will determine the shows I ultimately get to do!

Sporto

Progress is still rolling! I'm finally at that point where I am beginning to really look like a prepping bodybuilder in the mirror at the gym. It's getting kind of exciting and has brought my motivation back way up. I'm seeing veins everywhere, getting a lot of looks and stares, and finally seeing what kind of package I have shaping up. Strength is still great - I'm maintining strength on just about everything while going slightly up in a few sets here and there. My legs are starting to feel a little tight all the time, but that's because of all the posing and cardio going on. So far so good...I think another couple of weeks of busting tail to make up for being a little behind and I will be right on track for where I want to be. SLDL for 455 for 8 reps as part of a drop set (after 3 working sets), glute/ham hypers are going up, and my quads already have cross striations. On my way to cross-striated....everything!

Sporto

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast