Page 11 of 321 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Aceto View Post
    Well I don't believe in cardio in the off season as a means to eat more. Train harder or train more frequently and eat more carbs and you will not get fat. You have to revisit the fundamentals. Did Arnold do cardio; no. Did Bertil Fox and Sergio? Nope. For their day (re; WAY less anabolic use) they had mass, and well distributed mass that anyone can freak out over. Keep in mind, and I describe this somewhere in one of my books, the body is an adaptive machine. First, if you are spending time doing cardio off season, then the body has to take the time to recover from that which, in my mind, diminishes its maximum recovery from weight training. I can go into the science of it; but really who cares; that's more or less the answer right there. Lastly, people who do cardio off season find it a little more challenging to get lean for a contest. Why? The body is so used to doing the cardio (and you KNOW you are going to do cardio off season and still look far from ripped!) that when you "up" it, nothing really happens...you do not get much leaner.
    Thanks for the great reply Chris however I have a follow-up question;

Taking on board what you’ve said and given my slow metabolism, carb sensitivity and that my best mass gains have come from lower volume / frequency training (i.e. 6 working sets for small body parts, 8-10 for larger ones, reps 8-10, everything trained once a week over 4 non-consecutive days) I was wondering if you could take a look at the basic diet scheme I’ve been working on below and give me your input / comments.

Given what you said I’ll include no direct cardio (just general walking about) but keep training volume / frequency the same as It seem to work best for me. Carbs used are low GI (except post training). What I’d like is something like what the pro’s achieve; decent off-season condition whilst gaining mass; any further advice you could offer to this end would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Proposed Diet plan

Lean weight (weight – bodyfat %); 170lb
    Daily energy input; ~250 kcal above maintenance kcal’s (~2750 kcals per day)
    Daily carb intake 2g per lb = 340g (1360 kcal) per day
    Daily protein intake 1.5g per lb = 255g (1020kcal)
    Daily fat intake 0.25g per lb = 42g (382kcal)

Meals 1-4 (including post training meal

Carbs 80g
    Protein 42g
    Fat ~5g

Meals 5-6 (evenings)

Carbs ~10g
    Protein 42
    Fat 11g

Thanks again…….

Great thread Chris !! I live out in Vegas right down the road from Jay and have seen him prep since the 04 , from what I saw the 06 Olympia prep was by far the best even mentally he was in a different mind set it seemed .. Any ways wanted to know if you feel that carbs are a necessity on off days from training , say if you upped your protein and fats on those days and dropped down the carbs a lot would this be a tool to help you stay lean or is it just calling to hinder your training the next day ? This would be for the off-season terms , thanks Chris !!

Aj

Default question

whats your ideal split and how many sets per bodypart,and how many to failure would you do

Quote Originally Posted by AJ SIMS View Post
    Great thread Chris !! I live out in Vegas right down the road from Jay and have seen him prep since the 04 , from what I saw the 06 Olympia prep was by far the best even mentally he was in a different mind set it seemed .. Any ways wanted to know if you feel that carbs are a necessity on off days from training , say if you upped your protein and fats on those days and dropped down the carbs a lot would this be a tool to help you stay lean or is it just calling to hinder your training the next day ? This would be for the off-season terms , thanks Chris !!

Aj
    Well obviously if you are not training you do not have the big demand for carbs (energy) on your rest day. So; yes, you can eat fewer carbs on your off day. Do you need to increase your fat? I do not think its important to do so....you can go a little higher in protein
    Submit Ask Dave & Stump the Jumbo questions to [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by tornquad2 View Post
    whats your ideal split and how many sets per bodypart,and how many to failure would you do
    I like the plan where you train 2 days in a row then rest for a day. Just seems like you can recover best on this type of plan. Sets per bodypart; as a ballpark 9-12 for smaller stuff 14-18 for larger bodyparts. BUT, and this is a big but, if you can get a good pump and maintain it say on set #12, then you should always try to push the envelope and do set 13,14 even 15. If your body is responding (ie getting and maintaining a pump) then do more sets then I describe here. On the other hand, if your body is struggling to respond, say you are supposed to be doing 9-12 sets and by set 7 your body is not maintaining a pump, then screw it; stop right there. As far as failure goes, I think every set should be taken close to failure

What do you think about Gene Doping & Blood Doping?
    Last edited by Biggie973; 03-24-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: more to the question

I like the plan where you train 2 days in a row then rest for a day. Just seems like you can recover best on this type of plan. Sets per bodypart; as a ballpark 9-12 for smaller stuff 14-18 for larger bodyparts. BUT, and this is a big but, if you can get a good pump and maintain it say on set #12, then you should always try to push the envelope and do set 13,14 even 15. If your body is responding (ie getting and maintaining a pump) then do more sets then I describe here. On the other hand, if your body is struggling to respond, say you are supposed to be doing 9-12 sets and by set 7 your body is not maintaining a pump, then screw it; stop right there. As far as failure goes, I think every set should be taken close to failure
    Chris - When I started training I worked out at Mike Katz's gym in CT. We all hit a body part twice a week in those days. Although today most IFBB pros hit a muscle once a week, do you tend to favor a certain frequency in your own training? How about for guys that are natural? I realize many factors come into play such as recovery ability, nutrition etc. but have you found one you personally like such as every 5th day, every 6th day? Thanks - great thread.

Well obviously if you are not training you do not have the big demand for carbs (energy) on your rest day. So; yes, you can eat fewer carbs on your off day. Do you need to increase your fat? I do not think its important to do so....you can go a little higher in protein

Thanks Chris !! Also wanted to get your opinion on this have had different sides to this question.. What in your mind is better pre-workout , carbs or fats ? Seeing that you get a spike from the carbs right after eating them then might have a possible crash in the middle of your training session and fats might be more of a stable energy source to last you during the workout ? If that makes sense

Chris,
    What are your thoughts regarding diet sodas during contest preparation?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ SIMS View Post
    Thanks Chris !! Also wanted to get your opinion on this have had different sides to this question.. What in your mind is better pre-workout , carbs or fats ? Seeing that you get a spike from the carbs right after eating them then might have a possible crash in the middle of your training session and fats might be more of a stable energy source to last you during the workout ? If that makes sense
    If you are trying to get lean; either go low on carbs before training or skip them. Your body uses or can use stored msucle glycogen if you skip the carbs. It can also use fatty acids from body fat. Throw in a good fat burner (hint: mine) and you stimulate the body to drag fatty acids out of body fat stores to use them as energy. If you are trying to get big, then eating carbs before training will sort of do the opposite. They will spare or cushion the breakdown of fatty acids (body fat) so you wont get lean BUT the do encourage an anabolic state= msucle growth. So the answer is; it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie973 View Post
    What do you think about Gene Doping & Blood Doping?
    I dont know what gene doping is. Blood doping; like epo; It kills msucle seperation

Thanks Chris ! A last couple questions from me for awhile I don't want to be the guy blowing up the thread with questions .. For off-season mass in your opinion do you feel there are superior carb sources out there or is it just as simple as keeping them low glycemic throughout the day except for maybe post-workout ? Also do you prefer whole foods post workout ( sweet potato and egg whites for example ) over something like a high GI carb and a whey isolate shake ? Thanks again Chris really appreciate your time !

Aj

Chris,

Sorry if my last post was a bit on the long side I guess the gist of what I was asking you was how someone like me (slow metabolism, sensitive to carbs, low volume HIT-type trainer) can eat the carbs they need (I believe you recommended 2g per lb?) to maximize their training efforts yet avoid excessive fat gain if cardio isn’t what you’d recommend?

Thanks again for taking the time to post here…..

RX MEMBER

Chris, are you working with Troy Alves in the offseason also?If so maybe could you post his typical offseason diet?

NOVICE

Chris,
    I am a natural competitor and i think i have just been killing by body through the years and i think my growth has hindered from that. How many set do you recommend for big body parts and small including legs? Is it different for a natural? thank you

Page 11 of 321 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast